Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sonarr and Plex pull their episode breakdowns from thetvdb and that can be a good place to look to suss out what it wants because things get absolutely wild between Air order, Production order, DVD order, Netflix order etc. And for stuff that isn't an episode specifically you might have to put in a "Specials" folder with "S00E41" type numbering convention based on whatever thetvdb lists. Or put it in your "Movies" folder if you prefer and that's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

madsushi posted:

Sonarr is not very good at anime, unfortunately. Sonarr's assumed episode numbering/naming scheme does not mesh with anime, especially for sources that use absolute numbering (e.g. "ep 25" would be "s02e01" in the West). FileBot can help here, if you use that to rename things into a format that matches Sonarr's metadata provider.

Does sonarr not have absolute numbering or anime support? Medusa works well with anime in that regard (there’s an “anime” toggle for each show), so I’m super surprised sonarr doesn’t support it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Does sonarr not have absolute numbering or anime support? Medusa works well with anime in that regard (there’s an “anime” toggle for each show), so I’m super surprised sonarr doesn’t support it.

I could have sworn there was an "Anime" toggle in Sonarr when adding a show, but I don't know what it actually does.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Doing some super brief research (and I mean super brief) most people I saw seem to report that ensuring a show is marked anime AND using jackett as your indexer for anime sites instead of sonarr directly fixes most problems. Not all but most. It does seem like sonarr does support an anime mode.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

univbee posted:

I could have sworn there was an "Anime" toggle in Sonarr when adding a show, but I don't know what it actually does.
It reports you to the relevant authorities for monitoring.

J/k I have to sort anime for my wife and it’s a god drat nightmare as someone who knows nothing about anime series’s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also check to see if the show is listed on thexem.de because Sonarr will use their episode numbering to 'fix' imported stuff, so it's important the files aren't fixed prior to that (or you do a manual import and monitor everything by hand)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Laslow posted:

It reports you to the relevant authorities for monitoring.

J/k I have to sort anime for my wife and it’s a god drat nightmare as someone who knows nothing about anime series’s.

If you’re talking about Plex, there is an agent that can make it significantly less painful. It’s a bit of a pain in the rear end to get working, but it really fixes a lot of the pain of TVDBs poo poo.

https://github.com/ZeroQI/Hama.bundle

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Kingnothing posted:

Sonarr has an `anime` button, which will show the absolute number in the GUI alongside each episode. But, in practice, the discrepancies between source file naming and what Sonarr is expecting prevent it from working. I've had to manually massage (via file naming or Manual Import in Sonarr) every anime series I've added. YMMV if a source has better naming.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good, current request plugin from within Plex?
I have Plex 4.34.4 installed on a Synology, and I'd like to add a way for people to request movies/shows/music using the arr's. Preferably something I can approve before it grabs. I saw RequestChannel but it hasn't been updated for quite some time. It doesn't look like it works on the current Plex Build (correct me if i'm wrong).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ombi is still pretty popular for letting users add stuff, and I keep meaning to reinstall it on my machine.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

univbee posted:

Sonarr and Plex pull their episode breakdowns from thetvdb and that can be a good place to look to suss out what it wants because things get absolutely wild between Air order, Production order, DVD order, Netflix order etc. And for stuff that isn't an episode specifically you might have to put in a "Specials" folder with "S00E41" type numbering convention based on whatever thetvdb lists. Or put it in your "Movies" folder if you prefer and that's what it is.

My kingdom for metabrainz to fork off the musicbrainz codebase into videobrainz so we can have a good open data source that handles edge cases with a firm API and style guide.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

is there a good tutorial for adding sonarr and radarr to QNAP?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

MichiganCubbie posted:

is there a good tutorial for adding sonarr and radarr to QNAP?
Check the official forum: https://forum.qnap.com/
You need to create an account to see the app specific forums.

Sonarr thread
Download qpkg from here and install manually from the app center (no need for a forum account)

Radarr thread
Download qpkg from here and install manually from the app center (no need for a forum account)

There might be dependencies like already having Mono installed or having a web server running, but you should be able to see that in the threads.

If you need SABnzbd or NZBGet, or a bunch of other stuff, like SickChill, Medusa, LazyLibrarian, Mylar 3, Transmission etc, go check out sherpa, which will be install as a qpkg, but you'll have to SSH in using something like putty to install them through a very easy to use command line.
The guy who maintains it is extremely helpful and answers within a few hours.

My old QNAP NAS can't run Sonarr and Radarr, as it's simply too slow to handle the .Net runtime, so I currently use SickChill for TV and grab whatever movie manually from indexers and add it to SABnzbd to let it process it through the nzbToMedia package (also installed via sherpa).
SickChill is currently also adding a movie section, but it's still in alpha.

If you have a powerfull enough NAS, definitely go with .Net tools, as the python based are currently all over the place, with some still running on version 2.x, some are upgraded to python 3, but while SickChill and SABnzbd runs on python 3.8.5, if you need a movie package like Watcher 3, it runs on 3.7.x and can't use 3.8.x, which the others have issue being run on. Python is a mess and this whole upgrade is even worse.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ombi is still pretty popular for letting users add stuff, and I keep meaning to reinstall it on my machine.

Thanks.
I built everything up on the synology community packages. I think now I should have started as docker containers. Is there an easy way to move over?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Help me SA goons you're my only hope.

I finally decided to sign up for a VPN after hearing some horror stories and seeing the way the world is going, so I got ExpressVPN. Well, as soon as I installed it, my Plex server became unreachable by anything but the main PC it was attached to. I figured it was due to the VPN and tried a few things I saw online to get it to work, got annoyed and uninstalled it.

The problem is, it's still not working. I'm getting "unreachable outside your network" when I look at the server settings. Things I've done -

Reinstalled Plex Media Server (But not clean reinstall)
Set up Port Forwarding rule for TCP 32400 to go to the server IP address
Checked Firewall to make sure it wasn't blocked (No AV other than MS Security, Windows 10).

What am I missing here? What would the VPN install have messed up that wasn't corrected when I uninstalled it?

Edit - Hmmm still not sure what caused it to stop working but I got things working again by reinstalling ExpressVPN and disabling IPv6.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 1, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What exactly do you think a VPN is protecting you from when you're using it from your own home and your own home wireless internet connection?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
horror stories, huh

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

To be fair, downloading linux ISOs is the one thing VPNs (sold attached to a remote server, not the technology itself) are useful for.
- avoids ISP notices
- can prevent throttling
- can prevent people knowing what you download
- it only makes a single routed connection that your router sees, so its much friendlier at not lagging them out
- circumvent leeching softbans/identification

That said, I'm not sure what is going wrong here. My guess would be either a uPNP state on a particular adapter or windows firewall seeing it as the wrong connection type, etc.
Shortest fix is to remove your adapter (right click, uninstall) and reboot.
Establish it as a new home connection and hope everything works as it should.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Yeah that seems like a reasonable use case depending on your provider some of which will be happy to give you a horror story.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah that seems like a reasonable use case depending on your provider some of which will be happy to give you a horror story.

Which is better solved other ways. I used a VPN provider with a SOCKS proxy so only my linux iso download client has to go through the VPN.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

Which is better solved other ways. I used a VPN provider with a SOCKS proxy so only my linux iso download client has to go through the VPN.
That's one way sure, and it's measurably worse. Most, perhaps all, clients will leak if you use PEX/DHT, (yes, even if you have properly set it not to) some will leak via IPv6 even if IPv4 says it is anonymized.
Use one of those ISOs to spin up a linux VM that can only route through the VPN, use a different physical machine, or use a seedbox. Or, just use the full-system VPN as intended and run it overnight if that would interfere with online games etc.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It’s GNU/Linux :rms:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khablam posted:

That's one way sure, and it's measurably worse. Most, perhaps all, clients will leak if you use PEX/DHT, (yes, even if you have properly set it not to) some will leak via IPv6 even if IPv4 says it is anonymized.
Use one of those ISOs to spin up a linux VM that can only route through the VPN, use a different physical machine, or use a seedbox. Or, just use the full-system VPN as intended and run it overnight if that would interfere with online games etc.

So it's measurably worse if you do it wrong? Thanks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

So it's measurably worse if you do it wrong? Thanks.
A SOCKS proxy is doing it wrong, correct.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a way in Plex to set a preferred audio language/track per series? I have some dual audio anime (I know, I know) that I prefer to watch subbed but Plex likes to default to the English track, so I have to change it every episode.

I guess I could use MKVToolnix or something to just remove dub tracks entirely but :effort:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The VPN I've had the most luck with is Torguard, as they let you open ports and from what I remember, have some plex stuff in their guides. Their support has been very good too, when I've needed it. Was on PIA before that and getting plex to see the outside world was a nightmare.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm once again having an issue with Plex on my NVidia Shield. This seems to happen every loving time the Shield updates. (copied from reddit post) I think the version is 8.2.0 (32.6.435.1). Since then I've had a critical error within Plex and Plex Media Server.
- Plex will start on the Shield, but going into my media folders it simply will not load them. Just an endless loading icon in the center of the screen.
- If I'm trying to stream content from PMS onto another device on my network, it shows "SHIELD is currently unavailable."
- In Plex Settings on the Shield, PMS (v1.18.5.2309) shows as 'Stopped' and will not start.

I recalled having this issue before after an earlier system update, and some searching on the internet yielded an answer that worked before: Even though Google Play Store is set to auto-update, the PMS app update must be manually installed. So I went into GPS to find an update for PMS, only to find GPS is EXTREMELY SLOW, and crashes if I input more than one button press at a time. Once I get to the Plex Media Server app and hit the 'Update' button, it seems to hang on 'Download Pending'.

Update: Someone on reddit recommended uninstalling Plex and Plex Media Server, then clearing Google Play Store's cache. Now GPS won't even launch, it's hanging on a loading screen.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Is there a way in Plex to set a preferred audio language/track per series? I have some dual audio anime (I know, I know) that I prefer to watch subbed but Plex likes to default to the English track, so I have to change it every episode.

I guess I could use MKVToolnix or something to just remove dub tracks entirely but :effort:
Plex's language preferences are account-wide, how to fiddle with them is detailed here: https://support.plex.tv/articles/204985278-account-audio-subtitle-language-settings/

The easiest way to do what you want, is to go through the show in plex web and set each episode to Japanese/english-sub when you add them.
- Open first episode
- set the language in the drop downs
- hit next in the top right
- repeat

Sounds arduous, but it'll only take you a couple of mins per season.
This preference is then chosen when you play on any player, or when syncing it will create a burned-subtitles version if needed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you only want one of either dub or sub and are willing to put up with duplicate files or nuke your existing files, you can script with MKVToolNix (e.g. via Windows commandline batch file/for loop) to modify what tracks are in each file (or even just keeping the file mostly as-is but changing which tracks are the defaults).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm ripping my Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Blu-ray set (8 discs for $29.99, what a steal!) and I got into a little problem. I am ripping them all with MakeMKV and am using zero compression. The issue is Season 4 Episode 9. I guess on Netflix it's an hour-long episode (the show is typically 30 minutes). But on the Blu-Ray release, there's two separate episodes for it.

I can't seem to find a way to get both episodes to show up. I tried naming them "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors (Part 1).mkv" and "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors (Part 2).mkv" but that didn't work.

The only other idea I had was to get some video editing programs to open both videos and basically make my own edit so it's one episode but every single piece of video editing software I tried (including Sony Vegas) would not accept the format the video was in.

Is there any way to get both episodes to show up properly in Plex?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Here's one possible avenue for combining them. This isn't 100% guaranteed to work, it requires that both episodes be in the same format (if they have different tracks, like half has a commentary and the other half doesn't, this method might not work).

- Do a 1:1 rip of the disc(s) with both episodes
- Identify which .m2ts files in the BDMV\STREAM folder are the episode. Copy/move these files into a single folder and rename if necessary. For the sake of this example I'm going to pretend they're called 00001.m2ts and 00002.m2ts
- Download the eac3to app, Google for it. Put it in the same folder as your .m2ts files
- Run the following command:

code:
eac3to 00001.m2ts+00002.m2ts -demux
Now if both files have the same tracks and there isn't any real fuckery, this should output a .264 as well as some audio files (.ac3, .thd, .dtsma etc.) and .sup files for subtitles. These should all be a straight playback of the two parts as a single file (note if part 1 ends with credits or something like that you'll get the same thing here), you can remux them together as you see fit using MKVToolNix. You may be able to pull just the video and one audio track if those are OK but the rest of the files differ between the two parts, lookup eac3to command details or let us know. If this works it'll be a 1:1 copy with no loss but won't have chapter stops (you'll get a separate file for each section and will have to combine them to import through MKVToolNix with the right timing adjustment on the part 2 chapter values).

The only other option that I can think of off-hand would be to manually tamper with your Plex entries by sliding the later Season 4 episodes over by 1 "episode" and making part two S4E10.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm ripping my Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Blu-ray set (8 discs for $29.99, what a steal!) and I got into a little problem. I am ripping them all with MakeMKV and am using zero compression. The issue is Season 4 Episode 9. I guess on Netflix it's an hour-long episode (the show is typically 30 minutes). But on the Blu-Ray release, there's two separate episodes for it.

I can't seem to find a way to get both episodes to show up. I tried naming them "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors (Part 1).mkv" and "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors (Part 2).mkv" but that didn't work.

The only other idea I had was to get some video editing programs to open both videos and basically make my own edit so it's one episode but every single piece of video editing software I tried (including Sony Vegas) would not accept the format the video was in.

I had a similar issue and followed this guide, which worked perfectly: https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-joining-multi-part-movies-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui/113211

Essentially you just combine the two .MKV files into one by appending part 2 after part 1.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Plex nomenclature is 'partx' not 'part x'
You can use any of these:

cdX
discX
diskX
dvdX
partX
ptX

The other issue you can run into when ripping your own media, is "All parts should have identical audio and subtitle streams in the same order". Make sure there's just one video stream and audio stream using MKVToolnix.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Here's one possible avenue for combining them. This isn't 100% guaranteed to work, it requires that both episodes be in the same format (if they have different tracks, like half has a commentary and the other half doesn't, this method might not work).

- Do a 1:1 rip of the disc(s) with both episodes
- Identify which .m2ts files in the BDMV\STREAM folder are the episode. Copy/move these files into a single folder and rename if necessary. For the sake of this example I'm going to pretend they're called 00001.m2ts and 00002.m2ts
- Download the eac3to app, Google for it. Put it in the same folder as your .m2ts files
- Run the following command:

code:
eac3to 00001.m2ts+00002.m2ts -demux
Now if both files have the same tracks and there isn't any real fuckery, this should output a .264 as well as some audio files (.ac3, .thd, .dtsma etc.) and .sup files for subtitles. These should all be a straight playback of the two parts as a single file (note if part 1 ends with credits or something like that you'll get the same thing here), you can remux them together as you see fit using MKVToolNix. You may be able to pull just the video and one audio track if those are OK but the rest of the files differ between the two parts, lookup eac3to command details or let us know. If this works it'll be a 1:1 copy with no loss but won't have chapter stops (you'll get a separate file for each section and will have to combine them to import through MKVToolNix with the right timing adjustment on the part 2 chapter values).

The only other option that I can think of off-hand would be to manually tamper with your Plex entries by sliding the later Season 4 episodes over by 1 "episode" and making part two S4E10.

Sand Monster posted:

I had a similar issue and followed this guide, which worked perfectly: https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-joining-multi-part-movies-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui/113211

Essentially you just combine the two .MKV files into one by appending part 2 after part 1.

Thanks so much! The only thing I am worried about is that the credits from the 1st episode are going to show up halfway through and I'm 95% certain in a year or two I am going to completely forgot I did this and will skip the other half of the episode, assuming it is over.

Sony/MAGIX Vegas has to be the most anal-retentive video editing program I've ever used regarding which formats it accepts.

Khablam posted:

Plex nomenclature is 'partx' not 'part x'
You can use any of these:

cdX
discX
diskX
dvdX
partX
ptX

The other issue you can run into when ripping your own media, is "All parts should have identical audio and subtitle streams in the same order". Make sure there's just one video stream and audio stream using MKVToolnix.

Are you saying if I rename the 2nd episode to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors (part2).mkv it would work?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Are you saying if I rename the 2nd episode to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors (part2).mkv it would work?
[same title] part1.mkv & [same title] part2.mkv should merge.
I don't know if brackets break it, but they are certainly not needed, so just leave them out. I think in my testing I determined the split ID needs to be the last thing before the extension, too. At least, I have many dozens of files done this way for various reasons and it's not failed yet.

The only downside vs re-muxing files into one file, is there'll be a very brief pause (less than a half second) as it moves from one file to another. The progress bar is also per file, though the total running time is shown in the episode information.

If you, as you mention, forget to watch the second part, the progress bar will show it as only half complete, and will stick to your dashboard/continue watching list like anything else and be the next-up episode still for that show.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 5, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

[same title] part1.mkv & [same title] part2.mkv should merge.
I don't know if brackets break it, but they are certainly not needed, so just leave them out. I think in my testing I determined the split ID needs to be the last thing before the extension, too. At least, I have many dozens of files done this way for various reasons and it's not failed yet.

The only downside vs re-muxing files into one file, is there'll be a very brief pause (less than a half second) as it moves from one file to another. The progress bar is also per file, though the total running time is shown in the episode information.

If you, as you mention, forget to watch the second part, the progress bar will show it as only half complete, and will stick to your dashboard/continue watching list like anything else and be the next-up episode still for that show.

Finally had a chance to try this and it didn't work. Not sure if I did something wrong?

I currently have both episodes named this now:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors part1.mkv
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - S04E09 - Sliding Van Doors part2.mkv

I believe that is how your post said to name them.

So now when I select the episode, hilariously enough it only plays part 2. It does not play anything from part 1 at all.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Did you check that "All parts have identical audio and subtitle streams in the same order"? Some BluRays gently caress about with this to try and make ripping them harder.
You can also toggle it watched and back to unwatched, to see if it simply thinks you've already watched part 1.

I guess your solution this time might be to merge them, though I can only say this has worked for me many many times, so you may have just found a new bug.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It might be the lack of hyphen or something to separate the part1.mkv from the rest of the file name, as the naming schema includes that.

Personally I do name of movie.cd1.mkv name of movie.cd2.mkv and it usually works albeit it's a bit of a pain.

I just checked my copy of that particular episode and it's a double length file with no credit sequence in the middle, how annoying they changed it up for the bluray.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yep I tried all that unfortunately. Nothing worked so I just gave up and downloaded the episode. I guess it's not a big deal to have one episode look shittier than the rest in picture quality if I can at least watch it properly.

I appreciate the suggestions regardless though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are there any Plex clients that will tonemap HDR content to SDR, AND supports direct play of UHD content while still outputting HD? I'm pretty sure an AppleTV4k will do it, but are there any that don't cost almost 200 bucks? It would have to be a client that supports direct play of UHD material while outputting an HD signal because a) Plex definitely doesn't support HDR to SDR tonemapping when transcoding, and B) my server isn't powerful enough to transocde UHD sources anyway.

Bringing this back up from earlier - I know an ATV4K will do it, and people in the thread said a Roku4K will do it.

Anyone know if a FireTV 4K Stick will do it? Thinking of picking one up during Prime Day if it will.