Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Chikimiki posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but how do you cheese your welfare freighter to be a capital freighter? Ignore the first encounter where you would get the normal one, and play some more until you end up in a system with a capital one?

Your Welfare Freighter has the same spawn mechanics as all other freighters - the only difference is its free.

In order to cheese it to get the capital freighter, you have to trigger the encounter in a star system with a capital freighter, if you can.

blarzgh posted:

Have a MANUAL save ON A PLANET before the warp jump that triggers the encounter.

Mechanics
* Each solar system has a designated freighter model. It will always be the same color, type and size, every time you warp in.
* There are two types of Capital Ships; "Sentinel" (Robocops) and The Star Destroyers.
* Each type of capital ship has 3 sizes, Small, Medium, and Large. You can def tell the difference. Its by the number of middle sections they have.
* Although the model is always the same when your Freighter/Pirate encounter begins, it rolls for the class (C, B, A, S) and Slots. Random every time, and same chance to roll as spaceships (S = 1 or 2% chance).
* You cannot trigger this encounter by warping in with your Freighter, you must do it in a Starship.

Now you find the MODEL you want.
- Once you have a MANUAL save, you proc the encounter by warping to the next system. WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM.
- You take one quick look at the Freighter, and if its not the MODEL you want, reload the MANUAL save.
- Check your list of solar systems, and warp to a different system; WRITE DOWN THE NAME OF THAT SYSTEM.
- Wash, Rinse, Repeat until you warp into a system that has the MODEL you want.

OPTIONAL - Save Scum until you get the Class you want,
- Since you so intelligently wrote down the name of the system that has the MODEL you want, you can now save scum that encounter over and over again until you get an S-Class.
- The Only real difference is the number of slots. S Class does have the highest warp distance, but its just not super relevant to the game. I mean, if I can jump 2,000ly, am I really annoyed I can't jump 2,100ly?
- Who am I kidding, MUST HAVE BEST EVERYTHING

Edit: The reason you must have a MANUAL save before the warp is because the game will create an autosave when you land in the Freighter's Hangar and get out to talk to the Captain. At that point, without a manual backup to return to, before the warp and battle, you're stuck with the ship you landed in, and, in particular, its Class and Slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the game doesn't like my space tower. The ground level rooms are now a glitch room. If you try to look at the generators in there, the game glitchs you halfway up the tower.

The first time this happened, I hadn't yet used my real teleporters to get up that far and connect the levels with ladders from the inside, so I was trapped. 10 levels later, I finally made it to the top, just before running out of Pure Ferrite for more ladders.

And then I realized I could have just deleted whatever level I was in to immediately escape. The dumbest thriller ever. :v:

In other news, I started this dumb tower at the top of a mountain that was already visible from space, and now the tower is far above that mountain top. When you get out at the very top (easy now thanks to another teleporter-pair), you're inside the cloud layer!

Too bad this project has eaten 20k pure ferrite in one go and now I have to go procure more. Oops. Well, some people build huge stacks of silos, I make towers.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

In other news, I started this dumb tower at the top of a mountain that was already visible from space, and now the tower is far above that mountain top. When you get out at the very top (easy now thanks to another teleporter-pair), you're inside the cloud layer!

A true Monument to man's hubris. Here lies a testa. hey... whats that giant hand co... helthugiigh sig colodac, en zerfram kim jobhan...???

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This has been my Super Lame Tower of Babel joke series, thank you all for attending.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
And thank god for short-range teleporters. If I couldn't just bypass 10-20 levels with a teleporter-pair after building, I would slowly go insane.

That part where I build 20 tower levels at once was my little warning shot when the tower glitched me inside the new part and I had to build myself out of there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

And thank god for short-range teleporters. If I couldn't just bypass 10-20 levels with a teleporter-pair after building, I would slowly go insane.

That part where I build 20 tower levels at once was my little warning shot when the tower glitched me inside the new part and I had to build myself out of there.

Ooh, this gives me an idea for a base, thanks!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Ooh, this gives me an idea for a base, thanks!

Short-range teleporters are the best invention since sliced bread, aren't they? On Wednesday I had a long, boring meeting at work and spend a lot of it scribbling the layout for a teleporter maze into my notebook. It's my next project after I finish this Tower to Nowhere. :v:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

- Is there any rationale behind why teleporting to some bases drop you at the computer vs. the base portal, and

Not really, some bases of mine will spawn me at the computer half the time and at the base teleporter the other half the time.

- Is there any logic behind/way to handle poo poo randomly disappearing out of the medium/large refiners when you leave them unattended for any period of time

This is my biggest pet peeve. I'm not sure what triggers it either. It could be warping around and it could be reloading autosaves. I've gotten to the point where I'll throw a bunch of stuff in the refiners before I log off for the night.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Dwesa posted:

I recently finally bought NMS and I am going through some first missions that seem to function like tutorial. Is there certain point after which game tells me I know enough and I have unlocked all the basic stuff and I am free to roam and explore as I wish?

As Mailer mentioned you do get some stuff for free from the tutorials.
If you want to save a little follow the one chain at least until you unlock farming and the EXOs.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I skipped doing the tutorial stuff for a long time and gathered salvaged data to unlock stuff in the anomaly instead at first. Then I decided to do the tutorial missions and there was a lot that would've unlocked for free had I just done those in the first place. I think there's a couple of things that you can only get that way. I think one of them is the oxygen harvester thing.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Do y'all not use the build camera when base building? it's L3 on PS4, no idea about PC.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Do y'all not use the build camera when base building? it's L3 on PS4, no idea about PC.

I can't remember if someone said that they're building without the build camera, so to be on the safe side: Please don't do this to yourself. Always use the build camera.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I use it almost exclusively.

Libluini posted:

Short-range teleporters are the best invention since sliced bread, aren't they? On Wednesday I had a long, boring meeting at work and spend a lot of it scribbling the layout for a teleporter maze into my notebook. It's my next project after I finish this Tower to Nowhere. :v:

I'm thinking "Skybox" - a series of segregated glass cuboid rooms, connected by teleporters, up in the sky, orbiting around floating alien constructs.

I hope glitch building still works across build menus so I can do some flying saucer type stuff.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Libluini posted:

I can't remember if someone said that they're building without the build camera, so to be on the safe side: Please don't do this to yourself. Always use the build camera.

Especially when you are, for example, building a activated indium farm on some storm ridden hellworld. You can cower safely in a 1x1 square hut while building a giant horrible pile of extractors and supply depots.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just noticed that some of the basic wooden building parts have white edges/metalwork and some have black, and this is true regardless of what paint job is applied. That's... kind of aggravating!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if someone was attempting some duping trick or was just really nice, but when I hit a trade terminal after leaving the anomaly I noticed I had...a bunch of void eggs, expensive starship scrap and freighter bulkheads that I definitely didn't come in with so cheers to whoever did that

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thundarr posted:

I just noticed that some of the basic wooden building parts have white edges/metalwork and some have black, and this is true regardless of what paint job is applied. That's... kind of aggravating!
It's maddening.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Having some graphical problems.
Yesterday container 0 disappeared, still there and accessible but not visible.
And today, my tabs in inventory for backpack, ship and multitool are all gone though still accessible.
The rest of the screen is perfectly fine, just the actual tabs are gone.
Drivers all up to date.
And card is good enough.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure if someone was attempting some duping trick or was just really nice, but when I hit a trade terminal after leaving the anomaly I noticed I had...a bunch of void eggs, expensive starship scrap and freighter bulkheads that I definitely didn't come in with so cheers to whoever did that

Thats just someone being very very nice (although they got all that stuff from duping, so you've got dirty money in your pockets now.)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1311774218644860928

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Grah!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

And today, my tabs in inventory for backpack, ship and multitool are all gone though still accessible.
Drivers all up to date.
And card is good enough.

Man, I feel for you. NMS has many glitches, and the best drivers and cards in the universe can't protect you.

Have you tried the old trick of save-exit game-make sure the application is closed fully-restart? Sometimes that helps.

If not, at least you can look at

Merry Nadhor's Dumb Adventures in Tower Land, Part I

First things first: This ugly fucker was in my last stash of screenshots, and apparently I never shared them? Well, here it is. Back from August, so from before Origins.

This "building" was a "boundary failure" I found on an exotic world.

My last garden project. With this one, hopefully all my crafting has the necessary materials in exactly the right proportions! (:lol: in two months from now I'll realize I hosed up the math again and it's worse than before)

That gimmick-base is on a planet with boiling rainstorms every 1-5 minutes and building it was aggravatingly painful, even with abusing the build camera to heck and back. So for this reason, I added some stuff to make exploration easier: Like a mech bay, and this huge space truck thing. gently caress you, rain storms!

Then Origin happened. First thing I did was taking a look at my last base to see if everything there survived the changes. (By the way, this is the last time you will see this ship name, as the latest patch erased and reset it again back to the name it came with. This happened so often over the years, with ships, multitools, freighters and even bases, I stopped caring. Sometimes the old name comes back, sometimes I have to do a re-naming. poo poo happens. :shrug: )

Surprise, surprise: Nothing bad happened. The base is still there and everything works. (In case you're wondering: There was a gently caress-up in the planning stage and I had to blast huge holes into this dumb hill to keep the layout level. Part of the base is supposed to be underground, don't worry!)

After that, Merry Nadhor continues exploring Galaxy 7.

This planet had mountains reaching far up into the atmosphere, some of them visible from space. So I decided to do something here.

Bleak, depressing, weird? Perfect!

My plan for this planet was:

1. Build a ladder or something up the mountain
2. Hey, wait a minute, is that a lovely C-class Oxygen deposit???
3. OK, how about connecting all those far away parts left and right of my base computer?
4. Ugh, too far away for short-range teleportation????
5. OK, it works now. Huh, how about that tower, now?

So, less of a plan and more like making it up as I go along, but as everyone knows, the best results are obsessive planning mixed with pure chaos.

After tons of time spend making a really not that necessary stairway plus a teleport highway just because I could, I finally reach the mountain top and finish the tower highway with a nice welcoming hall. (The last teleporter brings you right inside, if you don't want to risk my stairs of damnation.)

Then I accidentally deleted the welcoming hall, causing this bullshit here. As I had to delete all of this, put down the cubic large thing and then build and reconnect everything to the teleport highway, this tumble backwards made me so mad I had to stop and do something else until I cooled down enough to continue.

As if Desolation Tower wasn't depressing enough, I visited this dead planet next. (The dark splotches are craters, by the way.)

On yet another planet, I managed to blindly stumble over this canary yellow factory. It was a dud. (Riddle solved, no blueprint.)

Back to Desolation Tower! The highway is finished, a landing pad is plopped down.

The foundation of the actual tower is added! The base main teleporter is in the tower-foundation, together with more batteries, because this thing is gonna drain a lot of juice, and I think the main battery of solar cells and accumulators back down near the base computer won't be able to keep up sooner or later.

Desolation Tower is environmentally friendly, so sadly I can't build up on this second peak. Those weird mineral butterflies fluttering around there are apparently living here, and I don't want to accidentally hurt them .

My basic layout for this kind of thing: Two stacks of cylindrical large elements, connected with two curved passage ways per level. Those curved passage ways are the best, as they come with a transparent side for free and only take pure ferrite. This way, every visitor slowly climbing up or down can get some nice vistas and I didn't have to spend tons of glass. Win-win!

To get up, you can either take the various teleporters I later added, or you can do it the hardcore way and go up a never-ending series of ladders inside. You climb up, walk through a glass-way into the next element, climb up again, repeat until you hit fresh air.

Next: Madness happens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OgNar posted:

Drivers all up to date.
And card is good enough.
That sounds like an un-NMS typical bug. Try verifying your files.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Baby's first copper mining operation is up and running! I guess the next goal (other than stockpiling dust and metal plates) is to find an S class activated iridium hotspot and turn it into an industrial hellscape.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

screaden posted:

This is one of the biggest problems, everything feels so temperamental. Any action you do feels like it could gently caress something up in some weird way. I was close to finishing up the "scan everything on the planet quest", I think I had one more animal to find, but somehow in the process of flying to a different area on the same planet for a different quest, all of a sudden I was 5-6 items away from the animal, mineral and flora scans.

Just quoting myself because this happened again on a different planet and I'm starting to think I'll never get it done. I don't even think there is enough of each type to scan anymore to even reach the numbers required (yes I've been in the caves and underwater)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

That sounds like an un-NMS typical bug. Try verifying your files.

Why didn't I think of that.
1 file failed, trying again.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

screaden posted:

Just quoting myself because this happened again on a different planet and I'm starting to think I'll never get it done. I don't even think there is enough of each type to scan anymore to even reach the numbers required (yes I've been in the caves and underwater)
The Survey a Planet missions are the best things to skip. There will always always always be one thing that would take an hour or more to actually track down and gently caress that. Whenever you find that's the daily mission, just hang out in the Anomaly for a few minutes and check again. It changes. You can even keep the mission menu open and it'll change before your eyes after maybe 3 - 5 minutes?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I know the VR implementation is essentially a hack, but they really need to update it. Getting some weird glitching into rocks more often than I care to. I also can't rename any planets/systems in VR mode.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

Baby's first copper mining operation is up and running! I guess the next goal (other than stockpiling dust and metal plates) is to find an S class activated iridium hotspot and turn it into an industrial hellscape.

As someone who's wealth generation took a steep turn with the patch, I'll submit two things as helpful advice.

The first is that it's worth it to take a bit of time now and attach a large refinery wing (via build swap glitching so you can have as many larges as you want) with 20 or so refineries. This gives you a ton of quick production power to produce glass, chromatic metal, and ferrite dust. The glass you'll want at some point, but the latter two are the real important ones. Combined with an easy rusted metal plant that'll fill up 50k+ storage in a day, and the activated indium you'll be getting, you'll have all building materials you'll ever need instantly available when you want to do stuff. A dozen stacks of ferrite dust plopped into your backpack and a rapid-fire macro for hitting D is a hell of a lot more convenient than playing the teleporter lottery several times per base.

The second is to select a build site with multiple activated indium hotspots. Two is great, but three would be awesome. Due to the recent nerf the difference between 60-something extractors on a C-class and 150-something extractors on an S-class is like 4k vs 6k per hour. You're better off in all ways with two C-class spots. Basically just ignore the letter grade on everything now.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think this patch they nerfed how many refineries you can have in a base, I'm only able to place 3 medium and 2 large

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mailer posted:

As someone who's wealth generation took a steep turn with the patch, I'll submit two things as helpful advice.

Thanks again. In that case, I'll scope out hotspots near the A class activated indium spot I just found, rather than keep hunting for an S. (I found an S deposit on the way here, but it was for salt. :saddowns:)

Also maybe make a minotaur for this because the colossus isn't as great at keeping the heat out as I'd hoped.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thundarr posted:

Also maybe make a minotaur for this because the colossus isn't as great at keeping the heat out as I'd hoped.
All exocraft are like that, sorry to say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Minotaur has free hazard protection, when they introduced it they removed free hazard protection from all the other vehicles (you can still get it, you just have to spend a slot)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In that case why am I driving around on this hell planet unprotected when I could be throwing nanites at some guy on a space station to make my truck fireproof? Though I guess it's hard to appreciate doing things the easy way later if you didn't do them the hard way first.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Somehow found a portal to a planet at the center of Euclid.
Also there is a yellow squid ship there for like 10mil which isnt too bad.
Maybe I CAN get to my 3rd galaxy.
Debating on buying to have, though I really don't like the look of squid ships.

Oh, too late forgot that this is a live system and hitting esc doesn't pause.

e:Also, keep getting a distress signal from some freighter, but when I accept the icon is in the center of a planet.
Tried circling, definitely inside.
He is truly distressed.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 2, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OgNar posted:

Somehow found a portal to a planet at the center of Euclid.
Also there is a yellow squid ship there for like 10mil which isnt too bad.
Maybe I CAN get to my 3rd galaxy.
Debating on buying to have, though I really don't like the look of squid ships.

One thing that hasn't changed since way back when: if you activate a portal using all 1s (the first symbol you unlock), it'll drop you at a planet around 5000ly from the center of the current galaxy. Now that portal interference is gone, this should make advancing to later galaxies easy since all you have to do is fix your ship, find any portal, and repeat.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Joe Mantis posted:

I think this patch they nerfed how many refineries you can have in a base, I'm only able to place 3 medium and 2 large

That's just what The Man wants you to think. Fight back by glitch building them as mentioned by Wilekat in this post over here.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I found a website where you can search for ships on a per-part basis and now I don't have to fly around for 100 hours and am 105 million kopeks lighter.
https://nmsce.com

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

so i did decide to get back into this after like 2+ years of not playing, and while there's a lot of cool new stuff, honestly the most promising sign is that all of the dozen-ish knowledge stones i've reached have given me words like "it" and "the", which tells me they're giving you the most common words first, not just picking ones at random. a good sign that they've matured in their game design :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a website where you can search for ships on a per-part basis and now I don't have to fly around for 100 hours and am 105 million kopeks lighter.
https://nmsce.com

This is a good bird.

My hellbase has one C class activated iridium spot about 1800u from the A class as long as I put the base computer on the side of a volcano, but that's alright with me!

Now, if only the game didn't crash while I was off verifying the distance to the local power hotspots.