Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is simply the inevitable result of the Pax
Btw, the US has minimal pull in the conflict largely because the former US ambassador to Baku openly called for regime change in a few years back and permanently blew up US - Azerbaijani relations.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i forgot theres a Tower in Baku

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

THS posted:

lol werent the ultimate villains of that game environmentalists or something like that

Yup, it was some real green scare poo poo

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
All the drone footage really makes me think this is going escalate just because all of the backer countries want to try out their new toys against an equivalent force.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

DrPop posted:

Neo-Malthusian deep ecologist billionaires launching a bioengineered plague at the Sydney Olympics

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Btw, the US has minimal pull in the conflict largely because the former US ambassador to Baku openly called for regime change in a few years back and permanently blew up US - Azerbaijani relations.

Sounds like someone really wants to prevent the Baku Olympics.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's pretty wild that war is now fought with the sky blotted out by various surveillance and missile drones. Between that and the ATGMs it looks like a total nightmare to advance a few hundred feet forward.

Looks like we are going back to WW1 trench warfare. Except the trenches all need to be covered or underground tunnels.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrPop posted:

yeah and in the novelization the author stand-in strips all of them naked and then leaves them in the Amazon rainforest to complete the right-wing revenge fantasy

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Man, I loving hate the 21st century, it’s going to absolutely suck big time. I think we’re actually going to see a return to nation-nation conflict now that the world is going multipolar and now that oil and gas pipelines are gonna be a big issue in the coming years.

shouldn'tae disbanded the Union there

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Piles of dead unarmed azeris, people suggesting it may be an execution, looks like a lot of gear to leave on prisoners though

Warning: Dead bodies
https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1311754002602897408

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

it is really loving funny that the US was the world superpower for only 30 years.

Really world historic hubris for the end of history liberals to think this demented hosed up country could manage world affairs indefinitely into a future of dollar backed “free trade” at the point of a gun. infinite growth and triple cheeseburgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is simply the inevitable result of the Pax Americana being unsustainable for more than a decade or two (if that) because...have you looked at the United States?

Also Bolton went to Armenia, who has received something of a hall pass regarding Iranian sanctions, and straight up said they should give up Artsakh for the sole purpose of normalizing trade with the Turkish states so they could sanction Iran with the rest of Americas patsies.
Which, evil of Artsakhs existence aside, is insane and probably the most tone deaf piece of "diplomacy" ever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

has anyone fielded an anti-drone weapon that isn’t laser based or are MANPADs able to track most models of drones

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

has anyone fielded an anti-drone weapon that isn’t laser based or are MANPADs able to track most models of drones

problem is the manpad is more expensive than the drone.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Stairmaster posted:

problem is the manpad is more expensive than the drone.

so what’s the solution, going back to barrage balloons and quad .50 cal mounts?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spergin Morlock posted:

I wonder how many times I will be hearing that hawk scream over the next few months
i think it's the same sound effect that was used on the colbert report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_JVZaDHutM

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

reimagining the stuka in 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Dan and Adam Bilzerian pledge $250,000 for Artsakh

American Armenian billionaire, professional poker player, and Instagrammer Dan Bilzerian, his brother Adam Bilzerian and their family have pledged $250,000 for the Republic of Armenia and the Republic of Artsakh, the Armenian National Committee of Canada (ANCC) reports.

https://en.armradio.am/2020/10/01/ancc-dan-and-adam-bilzerian-pledge-250000-for-artsakh/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ehh... not as good as turbo folk

https://twitter.com/simulacrax/status/1311772844364361728

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what’s the solution, going back to barrage balloons and quad .50 cal mounts?

I had an idea that some kind of radar-guided multiple mount automatic shotgun could be a good for defence from smaller drones

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Iran taunts the US with footage taken from the american drones they hack on the regular, and Russia regularly (claims to) hacks and lands a large portion of the drones sent at their airbase in Syria from the Turkish backed jihadists in Idlib. The latter is probably not too hard because they're based on commercial drones but the small tactical drones getting all the play right now are probably not stuffed with the most complex electronics either and when you crack one you've mostly got them all.

Turkey and the zionist enemy are having lots of fun in Armenia and Syria now but the moment they try to send those drones against someone who has been watching, sniffing the air, and reverse engineering, they're all probably going to start falling down to electronic warfare. The militaries with the "kill switch" option aren't going to let that out of the bag for small skirmishes because it's a strategic tool, they'd want to use it when everything is in flight towards Tehran instead of tipping your hand and allowing a software upgrade to fix it. For smaller nations they have to figure it out themselves or just shoot them with AAA.

There's also the ultimate chad option of just dropping a ballistic missile on the command center, which is probably pretty easy when you own the ballistic missile factory.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think the best counter to cheap drones is just a computerized autocannon like Phalanx CIWS. But those aren't super cheap and only effective out to a mile or so, you will need SAM systems protecting them from longer range weapons. There are lots of problems.

You can also jam the gently caress out of every frequency to disable control, I think the US military has had some success with that. Maybe EMPs will start becoming a real thing.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Oct 1, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

love that war has been made an intractable quagmire of onions getting blown up from the sky

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

Piles of dead unarmed azeris, people suggesting it may be an execution, looks like a lot of gear to leave on prisoners though

Warning: Dead bodies
https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1311754002602897408

Yeah I find the lack of weapons suspicious, although it seems like it might be common for corpses on the battlefield to have their weapons stripped? See this (graphic) photo of soldiers killed by machine gun fire in the Dieppe raid -- all their weapons had been put into piles before the photographer even got there. Also presumably Armenian state television wouldn't be allowed to film the aftermath of a war crime.

sum has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Oct 1, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

THS posted:

it is really loving funny that the US was the world superpower for only 30 years.

Really world historic hubris for the end of history liberals to think this demented hosed up country could manage world affairs indefinitely into a future of dollar backed “free trade” at the point of a gun. infinite growth and triple cheeseburgers

when i was a teen in tge early oughts i really thought we wouldnt see the signs of american decline until my late middle age lol

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love u.s.a.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

CAROL posted:

I love u.s.a.

death to america, death to israel, a curse upon the turks

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

THS posted:

It is really that surprising though? In the middle of a pandemic this country won't even give people a UBI/Health Care after forcing them out of work with the lockdowns and our 2 Presidential candidates are a clown show host and a red blooded Republican with dementia masquerading as a Democrat.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Glad that there is a non-zero chance that this will kick off world war III and we're busy extolling the hotness of Armenian woman.

WW3 not going to break out over 2 little caucus states duking it out, this isn't Syria where the stake for all the major players were much, MUCH higher. The worst thats gonna happen is that Armenia gets a 2nd genocide by the Turks and its allies/proxies and the US turns a blind eye because Turkey's invaluable strategic location and military capabilities(everyone else besides the US is a joke) makes it by FAR the most important member of NATO that the empire isn't willing to give up for the sake of human rights.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Fuligin posted:

when i was a teen in tge early oughts i really thought we wouldnt see the signs of american decline until my late middle age lol

Wonder if Bush and co. weren't in charge if that would've made things any better

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Gresh posted:

WW3 not going to break out over 2 little caucus states duking it out, this isn't Syria where the stake for all the major players were much, MUCH higher. The worst thats gonna happen is that Armenia gets a 2nd genocide by the Turks and its allies/proxies and the US turns a blind eye because Turkey's invaluable strategic location and military capabilities(everyone else besides the US is a joke) makes it by FAR the most important member of NATO that the empire isn't willing to give up for the sake of human rights.

and thus Gresh sealed the fate of humanity, utterly oblivious to their influence on cosmic chaos.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

thanks!

twoday
May 4, 2005

and watch this

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Here's a good video on the background posted earlier in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS3P9kk-vFk

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is Turkey’s military that impressive?

Gresh posted:

Turkey's invaluable strategic location and military capabilities(everyone else besides the US is a joke) makes it by FAR the most important member of NATO that the empire isn't willing to give up for the sake of human rights.

is this discounting all the European members? France and Germany?
Italy is vaguely situationally placed, isn’t it?

but then I look at what’s happening on the ground and I laugh about ships: how many suicide drones at once beats CIWS?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Maximo Roboto posted:

Wonder if Bush and co. weren't in charge if that would've made things any better

Bush and co have always been in charge and are still in charge

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wolfs posted:

is this discounting all the European members? France and Germany?
Italy is vaguely situationally placed, isn’t it?

https://twitter.com/JonathanLacote/status/1311255896782188546?s=20
Macron has criticized Turkey at least. France is also against Turkey on the gas issue in the Mediterranean.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Macron recognizes that the US has little leverage here and is all over this, as part of his plan to re-establish France as a relevant geopolitical force

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I'm surprised that France never tried to meddle in Syria more like they did and are in Libya.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gresh posted:

The worst thats gonna happen is that Armenia gets a 2nd genocide by the Turks and its allies/proxies and the US turns a blind eye

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

twoday posted:

Macron recognizes that the US has little leverage here and is all over this, as part of his plan to re-establish France as a relevant geopolitical force

Everyone overlooks France's theoretical gently caress-you-the-world-is-over capabilities. They decided that land-based nuclear missiles weren't worth having when they could just instead design an air to ground missile that could deliver a nuclear warhead from 500 kilometres away and could be mounted on a regular ol' fighter. They've publicly stated that they want to eventually replace it with nuclear ramjets, because who's going to gently caress with a nation that casually straps nuclear ramjet missiles to their fighters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Everyone overlooks France's theoretical gently caress-you-the-world-is-over capabilities. They decided that land-based nuclear missiles weren't worth having when they could just instead design an air to ground missile that could deliver a nuclear warhead from 500 kilometres away and could be mounted on a regular ol' fighter. They've publicly stated that they want to eventually replace it with nuclear ramjets, because who's going to gently caress with a nation that casually straps nuclear ramjet missiles to their fighters?

I was slightly talking poo poo about the Caspian Report earlier but I have actually been following them for years. They do a great job of analyzing elements of geopolitics that most people don't really pay attention to. For instance, France's plan to become a geopolitical force again via linguistic hegemony over half of Africa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_-ALNwpUo