Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hope everyone's enjoying the final hours of Adam Gase's head coaching career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Not if Jimmy Haslams personal friends Peyton Manning has anything to say about it

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

Hope everyone's enjoying the final hours of Adam Gase's head coaching career

I would say that 53 people at least are distinctly not enjoying it

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Not if Jimmy Haslams personal friends Peyton Manning has anything to say about it

Are you saying his next stop is Tennessee?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Are you saying his next stop is Tennessee?

Or Cleveland

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The good and strong people of Cleveland have suffered enough, IMO.

The good people of Knoxville have many more years of suffering to go.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So that's how it ends for Gase. Anyone hire him next? For anything?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think he's still safe.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fire everyone involved with making the Metlife turf, it's actually killing players.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1311875402307166213

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Adam Gase might be the shittiest coach I've seen since Schiano.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think he's still safe.

Nah. He's done.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think he's still safe.

I haven't paid a ton of attention, I saw when the story broke it was based off of some Colin Cowherd bullshit.

Has anyone who is a reputable reporter type said they heard it too?

I mean, obviously he should be fired, just wondering.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 2, 2020

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That was a “Fire Me” performance if I’ve ever seen one

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That ending screamed "gently caress you fire me" to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kirios posted:

That ending screamed "gently caress you fire me" to me.

Could just as easily be Gregg angling for another interim job.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

shyduck posted:

That was a “Fire Me” performance if I’ve ever seen one

Hue Jackson refused to play Nick Chubb so hard that a RB had to be cut for him to get carries. Nothing will ever top that half season poo poo show.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nah. He's done.

We are talking about an organization that saw what he did with Miami, and said :tif: and hired him. Like the Patriots being dead, I'll wait till it happens to believe it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hue Jackson refused to play Nick Chubb so hard that a RB had to be cut for him to get carries. Nothing will ever top that half season poo poo show.

Sure, but there's a special spite to headhunting a rookie QB as the game's trying to end that really earns my ire.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I hemmed and hawed about this game in pick em, figuring Gase has to know his jobs on the line, denver is starting their 3rd QB, and so much of their roster is injured.

I think the team comes out.

By my god that was a mediocre effort.

Turn the team over to the special teams coordinator, cause even the defense looked like trash.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1311882130809671681

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
YES

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

better for the lawrence race, so sure, yeah, i agree with you metapod

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Being fired is too good for Adam Gase and he should be appointed Head Coach Emeritus and be associated with the Jets forevermore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's weird that you are so invested in the Jets.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They're punting on the year and already scouting his replacement

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1311889237021786112

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chris James 2 posted:

Good way for the players to give up and go 0-16

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

This worked out great for the Falcons last year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Jets had the perfect opportunity tonight to news-dump firing their coach and chose not to take it

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Benne posted:

The Jets had the perfect opportunity tonight to news-dump firing their coach and chose not to take it

It's a very Jets-like move to have a golden opportunity to fire your coach with literally nothing said about it and then not take it. I couldn't see it happening any other way.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I guess there's something to be said for punting on the season with a poo poo coach if you're actually committed to firing him after the season. They're set for a top 5 pick with Gase and you can pitch to whoever your favored candidate is that they get to mold Trevor/Fields/whoever else emerges.

That requires being committed to actually firing the gently caress though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Who's the last coach to come back from this type of thing and do well, at least with the team he was coaching at the time? Gase is dead meat of course, just once you get widely reported as having your job on the line on a meaningless week 4 game how many people come back from that?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I watched the game tonight. The Jets offense is a tragedy. It's literally the most boring, predictable offense in the NFL. I could tell whether they were going to run or pass by their formation. There was basically no play action at all, no bootlegs, no run pass option or option plays period, no creative run schemes, no nothing that would actually help you win games. Every single pass play featured Darnold in shotgun and the back releasing to the weak side flat. The routes changed slightly but never seemed to complement each other in any way. Just bad receivers going out on their routes and getting covered, not even a thought about how to actually get someone open. Then every run was up the middle in a very basic man on man fashion. Didn't even really see perimeter runs that much at all. The best play of the game was Darnold miraculously breaking free of pressure completely out of structure and running it in after another completely failed play call.

Gase is basically just plopping Darnold back there in shotgun on third and second down after a failure of a first down run, sending four receivers out on some random routes and hoping that something good happens. It looks like a college offense in its simplicity

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I guess there's something to be said for punting on the season with a poo poo coach if you're actually committed to firing him after the season. They're set for a top 5 pick with Gase and you can pitch to whoever your favored candidate is that they get to mold Trevor/Fields/whoever else emerges.

That requires being committed to actually firing the gently caress though.

The problem with this mindset is that the players are human too. You think they want to be stuck with 12 more games of a lovely rear end in a top hat coach they can't stand? What does that tell the locker room, other than that everyone is held accountable except for the coaches? It's bullshit and it just makes a team tune out even more. And I promise you that nobody in the building gives a gently caress about draft position when they're all about to be out of jobs, the players included.

People make way too much of a fuss about midseason firings and "welp who else are you gonna hire???" when it barely even matters at that point. Gase has built a toxic atmosphere that needs to be cleaned out as soon as possible. And even with a generic nobody as interim coach, maybe the players will be happier with that cancer gone. Maybe they'll have a spring in their step, and be motivated to put on good tape for the next coaching staff that comes in. And who knows, maybe they rattle off a few wins and have something to build on for next season. There are good reasons to do a midseason change that have nothing to do with the current season or win/loss record.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

If you're willing to tank that hard this early you don't think much of your roster.

I'm still a proponent for handing the reins to Greggggg for the reasons you said about the roster. He's a shitlord but has gotten something out of a roster getting away from a toxic HC. Although in this case he may be part of the problem after what we saw tonight.... like Todd Haley was.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Getting the #1 pick is not a cure-all if your whole roster is gangrenous and mentally wrecked from Adam Gase

And lol at the idea that Woody will hire anybody much better next year

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Jets will 100% ruin Trevor Lawrence no matter who the coach is

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Part of me kind of loves how terrible NFL coaches can be. At least 1 in 4 NFL coaches is aggressively horrible at their job. Like just loving dumb.

Gase cut the crusts off Pey-Pey's cucumber sandwiches and he's vaulted to the top of his profession while never looking like anything but a dildo with a pair of googly eyes stuck on it. Something Something America.txt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If you're willing to tank that hard this early you don't think much of your roster.

I'm still a proponent for handing the reins to Greggggg for the reasons you said about the roster. He's a shitlord but has gotten something out of a roster getting away from a toxic HC. Although in this case he may be part of the problem after what we saw tonight.... like Todd Haley was.

Gregg coaches his players to injure his opponents as a core philosophy. He should have been permanently banned from the game 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Who's the last coach to come back from this type of thing and do well, at least with the team he was coaching at the time? Gase is dead meat of course, just once you get widely reported as having your job on the line on a meaningless week 4 game how many people come back from that?

Dan Quinn, 2019