Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol remember when this statue lost a dude his election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/status/1311633044122501120

everything Armenia has been shooting down have been decoy An-2s

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1311750476807970816?s=20
if this is true, Armenians are getting cocky

https://twitter.com/AnnaGri07523396/status/1311744848068833288?s=20
gotta love the caucuses, where every valley has its own language

https://twitter.com/ekimalptekin/status/1311687709803585536?s=20
Ataturk respected all flags.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Is it against the rules to say I wish this fat gently caress gets covid?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I was doing some research on Azerbaijans suicide drone force and I was surprised to discover that their tiny drones (Orbiter Minis with a 2 kg warhead) cost about $400,000 apiece and the big ones (IAI Harpies/Harops) cost something like ten million dollars each. For reference, a T-72 tank costs something like $1 or $2 million apiece. It's unlikely that Azerbaijan has more than a few dozen on hand and it seems like a lot of them are being spent on blowing up supply trucks, reserve rifle squads and Soviet surplus howitzers. They make for impressive videos but my sense is that their battlefield impact is limited and that the Azeris are probably going to run out of them sooner rather than later

sum has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Oct 2, 2020

animist
Aug 28, 2018

sum posted:

I was doing some research on Azerbaijans suicide drone force and I was surprised to discover that their tiny drones (Orbiter Minis with a 2 kg warhead) cost about $400,000 apiece and the big ones (IAI Harpies/Harops) cost something like ten million dollars each. For reference, a T-72 tank costs something like $1 or $2 million apiece. It's unlikely that Azerbaijan has more than a few dozen on hand and it seems like a lot of them are being spent on blowing up supply trucks, reserve rifle squads and Soviet surplus howitzers. They make for impressive videos but my sense is that their battlefield impact is limited and that the Azeris are probably going to run out of them sooner rather than later

confused why they don't just buy commercial drones and strap bombs to them

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sum posted:

its a marketing opportunity, Aeronautics, Limited previously bombed Armenia before as part of a sales demo

quote:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23270/israeli-company-allegedly-flew-a-suicide-drone-on-a-real-combat-mission-in-azerbaijan

Per Israeli media reports, the alleged incident occurred in October 2017. Officials in Azerbaijan requested the company’s personnel show off what the Orbiter 1K could do against ethnic Armenian personnel in Nagorno-Karabakh. The Israeli government has permitted private defense companies to demonstrate their wares in actual combat, but this is rare and is unlikely to have occurred in this case, since Israel does not view Armenia as an enemy, according to The Times of Israel.

The often violent dispute between Azerbaijan and Armenia over Nagorno-Karabakh, also known as simply Karabakh, dates to before the collapse of the Soviet Union and the independence of the two countries. Though part of Azerbaijan, the region has a significant ethnic Armenian population and a rebel movement that seeks to break away and join Armenia, which has, in turn, actively supported their aspirations.

Aeronautics employees reportedly refused to carry out the 2017 mission and company executives subsequently stepped in to fly the drone themselves. Though it’s not clear if this was deliberate or not, the drone reportedly missed the target, only injuring two ethnic Armenian fighters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this is old but still belongs in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKA9xJx-NKg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Trabisnikof posted:

its a marketing opportunity, Aeronautics, Limited previously bombed Armenia before as part of a sales demo

Israelis only start to show a conscience when their victims arent filthy arab untermenchen. I wonder how many of those employees gave a poo poo when they bombed palestinians.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Impkins Patootie posted:

sounds like a scramjet

I was thinking Stukas

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Putin is just waiting for Azerbaijan to gently caress up and bomb a school bus or something with one of their drones. The temporary shift in world opinion will give him an opening to openly declare support for Armenia, upon which they will immediately bombard the Azeri airbases, including any Turkish planes. Turkey might do a nominal response but in the end Russia will just broker a ceasefire with favorable terms for Armenia.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

France hasn't been in NATO since 1966

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
the famously peaceful and humanitarian transition from Smyrna to Izmir

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_fire_of_Smyrna

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

France hasn't been in NATO since 1966

France rejoined in 2009. Thanks Obama.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

animist posted:

confused why they don't just buy commercial drones and strap bombs to them

The Harop has a 1000 km range, uses stealth technology, and is capable of automatically homing in on radar sources (like SAM installations). It's not like it's just a fancy quadcopter with a grenade duct taped to it. Azerbaijan is just apparently choosing to blow a lot of them on low value targets.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

I did not realize that...

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So what's the likely strategy for Azerbaijan and Turkey? To completely reconquer all territory within the official borders of Azerbaijan?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaGri07523396/status/1311744848068833288?s=20
gotta love the caucuses, where every valley has its own language

I suppose it is literally true that the government of the Artsakh republic has never disrespected the rights of any minorities on the Karabakh plateau, so they aren't being hypocrites I guess.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Just in time to push everyone into Libya

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

https://twitter.com/armenia/status/1311967519289286661?s=19
Armenia will not allow a music video gap!

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1311723596411211777?s=19

I read that this account has some connections to the Turkish General Staff and if this is remotely true then some truly delusional thinking is happening in the upper Turks circles.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1312012486820888577?s=20
This doesn't seem great

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

"us repeatedly sticking our dick into various hornets' nests show attempts to sting our penis" says man furiously thrusting his dingus into a beehive

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Seems like Erdogan has a case of Overly Ambitious Second Rate Power Syndrome. If history is any guide I believe this will lead to nothing but good things for Turkey

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The sausage has been secured
https://twitter.com/emil_sanamyan/status/1312092565055909888?s=20

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1311723596411211777?s=19

I read that this account has some connections to the Turkish General Staff and if this is remotely true then some truly delusional thinking is happening in the upper Turks circles.

Wait, has Turkey been active in Ukraine at all? And does this mean they want to start backing Georgia against Abkhazia and South Ossetia lol

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

gg no re

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Maximo Roboto posted:

Wait, has Turkey been active in Ukraine at all? And does this mean they want to start backing Georgia against Abkhazia and South Ossetia lol

I saw that text and that seems like an attempt to conjure a cause for war. it is literally cut and paste from HOI4, where a world leader conjuring up a war will performatively question the sovereignty of the enemy, the next thing Erdogan needs to do is promise to liberate the oppressed Azeris. I can’t remember what other thing is written into the game but it is IRL usually nearly word for word what happens every time a country gets bellicose.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Azeri MoD is releasing videos of TB-2 drones inflicting mass casualties against Armenian forces. They have air superiority. I wonder how many of those drones they have.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Vasukhani posted:

Azeri MoD is releasing videos of TB-2 drones inflicting mass casualties against Armenian forces. They have air superiority. I wonder how many of those drones they have.

hopefully Armenia can counter that threat, if they can’t it could embolden the Turks and Azeris instead of getting them to the peace table.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Torpor posted:

hopefully Armenia can counter that threat, if they can’t it could embolden the Turks and Azeris instead of getting them to the peace table.

post av combo

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I’m not sure how Armenia is supposed to move any anti-air or fighter planes into Nagorno-Karabakh since they have to go across Azerbaijan to get there. And without any of that the armenian forces are gonna get whittled down by air strikes. Not good imho

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's it, war's over, everyone go home. Armenia wins.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's over, Azerbaijan. Armenia has the smoked sausage

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Syncopated posted:

I’m not sure how Armenia is supposed to move any anti-air or fighter planes into Nagorno-Karabakh since they have to go across Azerbaijan to get there. And without any of that the armenian forces are gonna get whittled down by air strikes. Not good imho

Those sections of Azerbaijan were occupied and ethnically cleansed in the 90's, a major part of the backstory of this conflict. So they can move stuff pretty easy, terrain and lovely infrastructure aside. I feel like there should be a primer or effort post somewhere explaining the difference between Nagorno Karabakh the Soviet Oblast, Karabakh/Artsakh the geographical/cultural region, and Artsakh the modern political entity. Maybe also detail past peace efforts and the various diplomatic factors at play.
I feel like people are interpreting pretty much everything through the one or two things they know about the history of the region sometimes.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

This is a not bad map to show the current "borders" if thats what you want to call them. Nothing about the demographics though of course:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Don't eat it! It could be poisoned!

Maximo Roboto posted:

They made some noise about protecting the Tatars but as far as I know didn't actually do poo poo.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Boredumb posted:

This is a not bad map to show the current "borders" if thats what you want to call them. Nothing about the demographics though of course:

Yeah alot of those cities have populations of 0.

It does make me wonder about all those travelogues who visit and are like "oh this place is so wonderful why won't the world just recognize them :(". The vast majority of it is a horrifying wasteland of crumbling dead cities. Outside of Stepanakert and a spackling of tiny villages around it its a loving Fallout game. Its the creepiest loving place on earth.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

twoday posted:

Macron recognizes that the US has little leverage here and is all over this, as part of his plan to re-establish France as a relevant geopolitical force

The US doesn’t want leverage over this, this is all it’s rivals and enemies and busybodies keeping themselves busy and so on. This war is a big gift to American hegemony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Those sections of Azerbaijan were occupied and ethnically cleansed in the 90's, a major part of the backstory of this conflict. So they can move stuff pretty easy, terrain and lovely infrastructure aside. I feel like there should be a primer or effort post somewhere explaining the difference between Nagorno Karabakh the Soviet Oblast, Karabakh/Artsakh the geographical/cultural region, and Artsakh the modern political entity. Maybe also detail past peace efforts and the various diplomatic factors at play.
I feel like people are interpreting pretty much everything through the one or two things they know about the history of the region sometimes.

neither side has squeaky clean hands in this situation and there seems like a lot of room to negotiate an equitable solution, which is precisely why this conflict is upsetting. calls for peace don’t seem to be going anywhere whereas calls for escalation are really going places, it sounds like Putin cant even get Aliyev on the phone but Erdogan seems to want to do an Anschluss or something. the best the US can do is to try to diplomatically cure war priapism but I don’t think the US has the diplomatic chops to do that right now.