Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

People just call all quick links "connex." Please respect the connex trademark or else, uh, nothing will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

People just call all quick links "connex." Please respect the connex trademark or else, uh, nothing will happen

Ohhhhh. Well poo poo I learned again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

I’ve never heard this.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think this is true, btw. Connex refers to a type of quick link sold by a specific company.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

vikingstrike posted:

I don't think this is true, btw. Connex refers to a type of quick link sold by a specific company.

Echoing this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:shrug: pretty sure I've heard it used interchangeably, on this forum and others

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

To me quick links are the tool-requiring ones, and connex the specifically toolless links.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know how long a connex link lasts? Is it effectively forever? I’ve seen some other forum posts that say 5,000 miles but nothing official.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I reused sram links for longer than that so the connex links should be at least as tough. They're still awkward to reinstall, using a spoke or coat hanger clip like that makes it much easier.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
Dealing with the links when waxing your chain all the time kinda sucks, so I bought the tool. It was cheap AF. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174361410218
A tool isn't needed, you can do the bulldog clip trick or use a brake cable, but those didn't work well for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

vikingstrike posted:

Well, look what happened to the word Xerox.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Pooper Hero posted:

Dealing with the links when waxing your chain all the time kinda sucks, so I bought the tool. It was cheap AF. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174361410218
A tool isn't needed, you can do the bulldog clip trick or use a brake cable, but those didn't work well for me.

You can also get a non-Park-Tool one for less than half the price, at least in the UK. I just got mine so no idea if it'll last.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

It faded from existence.

Hold on I gotta go make some Ricohs for work tomorrow.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Clark Nova posted:

:shrug: pretty sure I've heard it used interchangeably, on this forum and others

VideoGameVet posted:

Y’all are right. I’m bringing fake news to the bike thread.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Xerox?? I still use ditto machines.

The same people who use Connex and quick/master-link interchangeably probably also heard Orange Seal can seal anything and everything.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

Xerox?? I still use ditto machines.

The same people who use Connex and quick/master-link interchangeably probably also heard Orange Seal can seal anything and everything.
Surely you mean the orange tubeless Slime™?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

There's no rhyme or reason to orange seal

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Orangutan’s No Tubes

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

What's the consensus on bike repair stands? Looking at the PCS10.2 from Park Tool.

I was considering a bench mount clamp but my garage isn't heated and the house is, so with a portable stand I could work on the bikes in the house in the winter if I need to.

How stable are they? The guys as the shop have a nice Park Tool stand that's bolted to the floor and that thing's rock solid. I don't own an E-Bike although my Timberjack is pretty heavy (I bet it's 40lbs) so I want something sturdy.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

vikingstrike posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is "eyeballing" seriously loose spoke tension to get a wheel like 80% in true likely to cause serious issues, or should I just LBS it

(old 36 spoke aluminum rum)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

What's the consensus on bike repair stands? Looking at the PCS10.2 from Park Tool.

I was considering a bench mount clamp but my garage isn't heated and the house is, so with a portable stand I could work on the bikes in the house in the winter if I need to.

How stable are they? The guys as the shop have a nice Park Tool stand that's bolted to the floor and that thing's rock solid. I don't own an E-Bike although my Timberjack is pretty heavy (I bet it's 40lbs) so I want something sturdy.

I have the PCS9.2 and its been quite stable. I'm going to test its load handling ability here soon when I put an ebike on there. So far with the bikes I've put on there its been great. Makes working on my bikes MUCH easier and I can fold it up out of the way when I'm done with it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

LordOfThePants posted:

I have a pcs10 and I have no complaints. Very stable. Very adjustable. I think if you were really particular about how you wanted to clamp your carbon bikes then maybe it wouldn't be the best, but that's not a problem for me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is "eyeballing" seriously loose spoke tension to get a wheel like 80% in true likely to cause serious issues, or should I just LBS it

Pick at the spoke like a guitar string and get it close in pitch to the other spokes on that particular side of the rim.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Try to measure how far off true the wheel is in mm or inches for a better answer, but basically go ride it carefully for a bit and check it again for any changes. A spoke thats working properly shouldn't loosen noticeably over one ride. If it stays tight then I'd ride it again, but I'd be checking it now and then to make sure. Mark the problem spoke with tape or something so you can find it.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I have the older PCS10 and I've put my old non Cro-Mo Yuba Mundo (over 50lbs) in it on more than one occasion. I've never actually had any issues but it does feel a little more wobbly, and I don't think I would put something much heavier in it. That may also have something to do with the fact the bike is about 7' long though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

When a friend of mine got into cycling he picked up a Feedback Sports sport mechanic stand for basic maintenance and while it was overkill for him it gave me the opportunity to borrow it so as to not deal with the folding ironing-board stand I had been using up to then. It was spending so much time at my place that I picked up a used one of my own when I saw one on Kijiji.

It's been the recommended pick on the Wirecutter for years since I'm guessing there's not much that can be improved on without making things more expensive. Folds up well enough to pack away neatly, and I can always have it in the truck if there's a chance that someone wants to learn how to fix or adjust something on a bike. It's so much easier to explain things and get concepts across on a swivel stand.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bike-repair-stand/
https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/sport-mechanic-repair-stand/

Holds my 40lb commuter just fine, and the same goes with my 50lb fatbike when it's all winterized.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

So I was riding through the broken glass factory the other day and my tire received a huge cut:

It's about 3/4 inch long and goes all the way through. My tube punctured of course, and my spare tube was able to limp me home before puncturing as well.

Is this tire salvageable? It's for a grocery-getter/commute bike so nothing too hardcore. Seems like a waste to toss a gatorskin with less than 300 miles on it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
You can try gluing a boot to the inside then using flexible superglue or something like boat hull sealant on the outside, but that’s a pretty big slice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you're handy with a needle and thread sew it shut then rubber cement a patch on top, from the inside.

Otherwise bin it, thats a big slice.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Coxswain Balls posted:

When a friend of mine got into cycling he picked up a Feedback Sports sport mechanic stand for basic maintenance and while it was overkill for him it gave me the opportunity to borrow it so as to not deal with the folding ironing-board stand I had been using up to then. It was spending so much time at my place that I picked up a used one of my own when I saw one on Kijiji.

It's been the recommended pick on the Wirecutter for years since I'm guessing there's not much that can be improved on without making things more expensive. Folds up well enough to pack away neatly, and I can always have it in the truck if there's a chance that someone wants to learn how to fix or adjust something on a bike. It's so much easier to explain things and get concepts across on a swivel stand.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bike-repair-stand/
https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/sport-mechanic-repair-stand/

Holds my 40lb commuter just fine, and the same goes with my 50lb fatbike when it's all winterized.

I think I’m going to get one of these instead of the Park Tool 10.2. There are a ton of reviews of the 10.2 on Amazon saying it collapsed and dropped their bike. It looks like Park Tool changed how the legs fold on the 10.2 version and it uses a plastic clamp that has to be very tight to get it to stay in place instead of slipping and causing the stand to collapse.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i bought the pcs-4-2 to work on heavy ebikes. it definitely does work for this purpose, and any regular bike in it feels super stable. $300 is a lot of money for what amounts to just a bunch of steel tubes and a clamp, but hey, that's cycling for you :shrug:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

LordOfThePants posted:

I think I’m going to get one of these instead of the Park Tool 10.2. There are a ton of reviews of the 10.2 on Amazon saying it collapsed and dropped their bike. It looks like Park Tool changed how the legs fold on the 10.2 version and it uses a plastic clamp that has to be very tight to get it to stay in place instead of slipping and causing the stand to collapse.

That's a shame, I got an OG PCS-10 after I worked my no-name plastic stand to death and it's been absolutely rock solid. I hang a ~25kg e-bike in it semi regularly and I'd have no qualms putting a heavier bike in, I'm pretty sure the thing will outlast me.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://www.amazon.com.au/Cycle-Mechanic-Bicycle-Repair-Stand/dp/B00D9B7OKQ/

I have this one (pretty sure I didn't pay that much) and it is rock solid although a bit hard to fold/unfold even after greasing the post.

Mine looks like the listing for the 25kg one, I'd be surprised if it didn't hold more. With my carbon bike I find I have to weight the legs so it doesn't blow over in the wind
The clamp can be quite easily rotated with the bike in place too which is nice and latches with a tooth system so you don't have to worry about friction interface holding your bike at the angle you want

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

EvilJoven posted:

If you're handy with a needle and thread sew it shut then rubber cement a patch on top, from the inside.

Otherwise bin it, thats a big slice.

TobinHatesYou posted:

You can try gluing a boot to the inside then using flexible superglue or something like boat hull sealant on the outside, but that’s a pretty big slice.

Thanks for the replies. Stitched it together with some dental floss and slapped a big automotive radial tire patch on it. Wondering if I should put a bike tube patch on the outside stitches so the road doesn't abrade it.

Either way, I'll be mounting it on the rear in case this sketch fix gives out haha.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

I've used a prs-25 before it worked as advertised :-|

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

yergacheffe posted:

Thanks for the replies. Stitched it together with some dental floss and slapped a big automotive radial tire patch on it. Wondering if I should put a bike tube patch on the outside stitches so the road doesn't abrade it.

Either way, I'll be mounting it on the rear in case this sketch fix gives out haha.

Yeah that'll wear through on the road in no time without protection

I think the stitching only needed to go deep enough from the inside to be able to tie the threads in the tire together to stop it bulging.
However you might also find that cementing that boot into the inside is good enough to hold it

In short - just ride it. Worst case you are out a tyre (and maybe another tube) - best case you get another 1000km+ out of that tyre.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Nice job, now throw that tire away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That tire jesus christ :psyduck:

For the love of god throw that thing in the trash, it’s not worth risking your safety/life over a $30 gatorskin.