Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Hughmoris posted:

Best Buy has a killer deal on the 65" Sony X900H @ $999. I purchased it 14 days ago from BB for $1169 (which was still a good deal), hoping I can get them to price match.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-x900h-series-led-4k-uhd-tv-smart-android-tv/6401205.p?skuId=6401205

I'm in the process of moving across the country and have put aside ~$1k for a new TV when I finally move in, which won't be til the start of November. Is this a deal I should hop on and have the store hold it for a month (if they will), or am I better off at that point holding out for some BF/pre-BF deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

doctorthefonz posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Costco deal, scheduled delivery for this upcoming Tuesday. Will post an update once it arrives, I'm fuckin stoked!!

If it doesn't arrive, escalate immediately to a supervisor in a support call and have them contact the shipper. Make them do the work. Otherwise you could be looking at delivery around Thanksgiving.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

If it doesn't arrive, escalate immediately to a supervisor in a support call and have them contact the shipper. Make them do the work. Otherwise you could be looking at delivery around Thanksgiving.

Oh yes, that's great advice for anyone posting/lurking this thread and placing online delivery orders. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I deal with different shipping vendors all the time at my work so I've got no problem getting on the horn and straightening poo poo out if I have to.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Inner Light posted:

No. Price adjustments and price matching are a Big Deal for retailers and fine print. Each will have different rules that you need to check out. Otherwise everybody would claim ridiculous deals and retailers wouldn't make as big a profit, boo hoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbC0-tuYE2o

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Do you tip the delivery folks?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

doctorthefonz posted:

Do you tip the delivery folks?

I do. I wasn't sure how much, so I asked earlier in the thread and one person suggested $10, but this is Los Angeles with a high cost of living, and it became apparent when the truck showed up that Ceva itself also contracts out their deliveries for who knows what garbage compensation, so I gave the two folks $20 each. Despite Ceva's bullshit they put in a solid effort, and it was pretty hot the other day so I gave them each a bottled water which was well appreciated.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Nice yeah that sounds good, I figured I should but surely not as a % of the cost or whatever but a couple 20s sounds like the right idea

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That surprises me, isn't a price adjustment a price adjustment?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Often BF deals are limited, and/or on special 'black friday' versions of TVs with lower quality components

Yeah poo poo like *only 5 at this price DOORBUSTERRRR or "It's not an LG-CX77OLED, it's an LG-CX77OLED-QB

Besides, if you could just Price Match BF poo poo with wild abandon why not just buy 2 OLEDs and whatever the gently caress 2 days before then just >PriceMatch< them at 7am on Friday morning without the crushing defeat of knowing the store only had 1 of them so you bought other poo poo to feel better?

Jows
May 8, 2002

doctorthefonz posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Costco deal, scheduled delivery for this upcoming Tuesday. Will post an update once it arrives, I'm fuckin stoked!!

I'm thinking of going to church on Sunday and getting one. I have a 12 year old 42" Sony that Just. Won't. loving. Die. Which is great, just unexpected. Meanwhile my living room is much larger than the one I had when I originally bought it. Sitting 14 feet away I have trouble reading text on games anymore.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TheWevel posted:

drat...Best Buy won't let me price match a second time. I got a $200 refund last time, and was hoping for another one. I originally paid $1400 for this TV at the beginning of August.

They wouldn't match the 'My Rewards' price of $969 but I was able to get them to match the $999, so I got $180 back.

yoohoo posted:

I'm in the process of moving across the country and have put aside ~$1k for a new TV when I finally move in, which won't be til the start of November. Is this a deal I should hop on and have the store hold it for a month (if they will), or am I better off at that point holding out for some BF/pre-BF deals?

I'll defer to more knowledgeable people but I don't think they'll hold a TV for a month after purchase, and as we get closer to BF I'll think more and more great deals will start popping up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TheWevel posted:

This is a complete shot in the dark but has anyone else had a problem with their Sony Android TV completely ignoring it's current video mode settings? I have a new Sony 65" X900H and have all the motion clarity, soap opera effect settings, etc turned off on HDMI 1 using the Custom video setting. For whatever reason the TV will turn those back on even though they're shown as disabled or off in the menu settings. A software reboot of the TV fixes it but it seems to come back after you turn the tv off. This seems like an annoying software bug. Android! :argh:

Did this ever resolve itself? I've noticed a few quirky things with my 65" X900H. Sometimes the WiFi wouldn't work after waking TV up from sleep, and the the remote Google Voice would periodically stop working as well. I read somewhere that going in to settings and turning off the 'automatic date/time' setting will help with 'tv sleep' issues. I made the change and haven't noticed any more problems yet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheWevel posted:

This is a complete shot in the dark but has anyone else had a problem with their Sony Android TV completely ignoring it's current video mode settings? I have a new Sony 65" X900H and have all the motion clarity, soap opera effect settings, etc turned off on HDMI 1 using the Custom video setting. For whatever reason the TV will turn those back on even though they're shown as disabled or off in the menu settings. A software reboot of the TV fixes it but it seems to come back after you turn the tv off. This seems like an annoying software bug. Android! :argh:

Under the Picture Settings, make sure that other inputs using the same Picture Mode (Game, Vivid, Theatre Day, etc.) as HDMI 1 aren't set to Apply Picture Settings to All Sources. That might help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was eyeing that Sony X900H deal but I'd like to get a 75". Is $1999 a good price or should I just hang on until Black Friday? Looks like Amazon has had it at that price for a month so I don't know if that's the sale price or the "new normal" price.

If not the X900H, any other good 75" sets to look at?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I was eyeing that Sony X900H deal but I'd like to get a 75". Is $1999 a good price or should I just hang on until Black Friday? Looks like Amazon has had it at that price for a month so I don't know if that's the sale price or the "new normal" price.

I've been going by rtings roundups, here's one for that range: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/70-75-77-inch

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone know a good place to get the H9G? Any good deals? I've checked Best Buy and they seem to be sold out in all their stores throughout the US.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

doctorthefonz posted:

My scheduled delivery was "by <some date>, will call to set up delivery" or some variant like that. It ended up being, well, not that. Much longer. Much much longer.

You're buying from Costco for price and warranty, the delivery is the worst part. If you're not able to haul it away yourself you're almost certainly going to have a bad time.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I'm prepared to be disappointed, fortunately

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I've run into another tech problem, my rear surrounds aren't working. I have the LG to output sound to HDMI ARC, do I have to do anything else at the TV end to enable all channels? Or does ARC just take all the signal and pass it on?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Hughmoris posted:

Did this ever resolve itself? I've noticed a few quirky things with my 65" X900H. Sometimes the WiFi wouldn't work after waking TV up from sleep, and the the remote Google Voice would periodically stop working as well. I read somewhere that going in to settings and turning off the 'automatic date/time' setting will help with 'tv sleep' issues. I made the change and haven't noticed any more problems yet.

I gave up on Custom and set it to one of the built in modes with minimal "enhancements" and that seems to be fine.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I have this same dilemma.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

In terms of size Best Buy has the 8-series TCL miniLED at $1,500 for the 75".

No HDMI 2.1 tho.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last TV I bought was a decade ago, what does HDMI 2.1 do for me?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FCKGW posted:

120hz video, mostly for next-gen consoles. Also 8K moving forward in 8K TVs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Up to 4K120p and 8K60p, with HDR (if the panel supports the refresh rate and/or resolution)
Variable Refresh Rate (newer spec, not the freesync 1 version that the BoneX has)
Auto Low-Latency Mode (detects console/PC and puts it in game mode)
E-ARC with support for lossless Dolby Atmos/7.1 etc. if you use a soundbar instead of an A/V receiver

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Variable Refresh Rate (newer spec, not the freesync 1 version that the BoneX has)
Auto Low-Latency Mode (detects console/PC and puts it in game mode)
E-ARC with support for lossless Dolby Atmos/7.1 etc. if you use a soundbar instead of an A/V receiver
To make it extra confusing these features can all exist on HDMI 2.0 hardware, [eARC has been around for a couple years] the 2.1 rollout is a total disaster and in my opinion you should not plan an any of its features being implemented perfectly for at least another calendar year.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, and then there's the CX not fully implementing the 48gbps spec 2.1 requires, and only rating it for 40 iirc. Weird poo poo this year.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I spy an open box 77" CX for $3090 on Best Buy although I'm not sure if it's location-dependent

e: duh it is but I hadn't thought of checking for open-box deals before

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

doctorthefonz posted:

I spy an open box 77" CX for $3090 on Best Buy although I'm not sure if it's location-dependent

e: duh it is but I hadn't thought of checking for open-box deals before
Yeah Open Box at BB is dependent on location supply.

Is BB still not allowing in-person browsing? The website classifications are real vague once you get to the Good or Acceptable label so it's best to see what's missing and what the panel condition is if possible.

I got my B9 from a BB open box. It was in April/May so no way to check it out beforehand. They loaded it up into my car with a pair of stiff cardboard brackets, a ton of packing cellophane and a bubble-mat enclosure. The cables, including power, remote and stand was missing so I needed to get a replacement off of Amazon and a cheap wall mount.

Also sprang for 2 years of their GeekSquad service since it covered burn-in. I suggest 2+ years if you do go the open box route.

Aside from a little inconvenience, it was a great experience and we're all happy with the TV. Started with like 5000 hours on it but it's still burn-free.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My 850E was a BB open box. There's faint vertical streaks that almost look like dirt, mainly noticable watching hockey/bright colors. I figure they took it back and thought the next schmuck wouldn't notice. I got the extended warranty so I'm waiting to trade up for a 900h or maybe an OLED if I get divorced or something

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just to add on to Best Buy Open Box chat: you can haggle the price down on open box. I've done it numerous times, just be reasonable and friendly.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, and then there's the CX not fully implementing the 48gbps spec 2.1 requires, and only rating it for 40 iirc. Weird poo poo this year.

It's not that weird. 48gbps is only required for 12 bit colour, and the CX, like other current consumer displays, is 10 bit - so 48gbps would be pointless. I think LG also mentioned it saves them a bit of CPU power to go towards image processing instead, so ostensibly it is a very sensible thing to omit.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Listerine posted:

I do. I wasn't sure how much, so I asked earlier in the thread and one person suggested $10, but this is Los Angeles with a high cost of living, and it became apparent when the truck showed up that Ceva itself also contracts out their deliveries for who knows what garbage compensation, so I gave the two folks $20 each. Despite Ceva's bullshit they put in a solid effort, and it was pretty hot the other day so I gave them each a bottled water which was well appreciated.
Is this for a regular delivery or delivery and set up, where they mount it on the wall and set it all up for you? Might be a regional thing, but here in Texas, we don't usually tip Amazon/Fedex/UPS delivery guys save for Christmas season where we leave out snacks or a card with a gift card if you have the same person every time. I did give the appliance delivery guys some water bottles since it was on a super hot day.

My TV from the Costco deal is set to arrive on Saturday. But the TV console won't arrive until Tuesday. Wife wants to let it sit in the box until the console gets here. Fat chance.

I just need to head over to the audio thread and figure out what kind of sound system I want. I have vaulted ceilings, so I don't want to mess with ceiling speakers, but I'm assuming even a basic entry level sound bar and sub will be light years ahead of the TV speakers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Is this for a regular delivery or delivery and set up, where they mount it on the wall and set it all up for you? Might be a regional thing, but here in Texas, we don't usually tip Amazon/Fedex/UPS delivery guys save for Christmas season where we leave out snacks or a card with a gift card if you have the same person every time. I did give the appliance delivery guys some water bottles since it was on a super hot day.

My TV from the Costco deal is set to arrive on Saturday. But the TV console won't arrive until Tuesday. Wife wants to let it sit in the box until the console gets here. Fat chance.

I just need to head over to the audio thread and figure out what kind of sound system I want. I have vaulted ceilings, so I don't want to mess with ceiling speakers, but I'm assuming even a basic entry level sound bar and sub will be light years ahead of the TV speakers.

They're talking about "white glove" delivery service where it's a contracted local installer who either sets up the TV or actually brings it into your house.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I have an OLED question regarding burn in. I know not to use it as a computer monitor or a news ticker. I play a lot of video games, do I need to worry about static UI elements over hours of playtime? Or would it need to be on for a comically long time for that to be a concern

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

man nurse posted:

I have an OLED question regarding burn in. I know not to use it as a computer monitor or a news ticker. I play a lot of video games, do I need to worry about static UI elements over hours of playtime? Or would it need to be on for a comically long time for that to be a concern

Unless you're talking about playing one game for like tens of thousands of hours, it's not really a concern. Especially on the CX, which has a bunch of features to mitigate burn-in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

man nurse posted:

RTings' OLED burn-in test has one TV on FIFA 18 and another on CoD:WWII
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

They stopped doing weekly updates back in February just short of the two year mark, but at that point the result basically seems to be "don't watch cable news 20 hours a day" which would be good advice even without an OLED TV.

The FIFA TV has some noticeable wear, but not nearly as bad as the CNN TVs. The other three it looks like the wear wouldn't be noticeable on normal content, it's only really visible on solid color screens.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I love it on the rare occasions I use Google Assistant on my Android TV, in Youtube, and it assumes I'm asking for loving directions instead of the name of a God damned channel. :sigh:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I posted this in some other places but it's not getting any traction; I think last time I was having Nvidia Shield issues I asked about it here, so here goes.

This all started when I upgraded my Shield about a week ago, to 8.2.0 (32.6.435.1). Plex and Plex Media Server stopped working.
- Plex will start on the Shield, but going into my media folders it simply will not load them. Just an endless loading icon in the center of the screen.
- If I'm trying to stream content from PMS onto another device on my network, it shows "SHIELD is currently unavailable."
- In Plex Settings on the Shield, PMS (v1.18.5.2309) shows as 'Stopped' and will not start.

Now I seem to recall this happening before, after earlier updates to the Shield. I remembered something about forcing an update for PMS in Google Play Store. This worked last time, but this time I noticed something different when launching GPS: It was really slow. Like, tabbing over from 'Apps' to 'Games' takes a solid 15 seconds, and if you try to input more than one move at a time, it crashes. With some patience, I made it to 'My Apps', PMS, and hit the 'Update' button... and it just hung there on 'Download Pending.'

Someone on Reddit suggested uninstalling Plex and PMS, and resetting the app cache in GPS. I tried this, and now GPS won't even launch. It just hangs on a loading icon.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm really frustrated here, Plex is basically the number 1 app I use on my Shield. Thanks for your time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

As far as selling my old TV, I don’t expect I’ll get much for it. It’s a Samsung 60” 1080p LED. Two (yes only two) HDMI ports. The model is BN64 I think.

I’m currently asking for $100 just based off similar listings, but I honestly don’t know. Any input on what something like that is currently worth would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The model should be on a sticker on the back. Look it up on eBay and other classified sites to get an idea of the going price.