Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I need a good diagram of the current kbm default controls.. all the ones I've found are from prerelease or do not reflect current bindings and have enough mistakes to make it hard to do what I'm trying to do. The binding menu in game is not compact at atll so lots of scrolling and tabbing in/out is annoying for this type of programming.

I'm in the process of programming my controls (Warthog/Cougar combo) using TARGET and am going to emulate kbm for all of it especially since the game doesn't recognize these controls without running TARGET or vJoy or Gremlin etc so might as well make them useful. Emulating mouse with the x/y of the stick is another workaround for the deadzone thing (far as I can tell works well too) but for the rest it's also nice to never have to rebind your controls after losing them for whatever reason not to mention macros, shift layers etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I crash a lot on sissubo. Mostly because I try to squeeze in between something and don't quite make it

Can’t know if you’ll fit until you try!

this happens to me a ton too

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hopped on and now top the kill board and even win games in my TIE Fighter. I got the hull and engine upgrade that ups your maneuverability but sacrifice speed and hitpoints, then I keep power to engines on full at all times, and then when I make a run on someone I dump engines into lasers to get that beefy shot. I have decent aim so I am now able to waste dudes much quicker. When I get in a jam I just boost out and extend. I like the fighter because with the maneuverability boosts you can go toe to toe with A-Wings now, and you still get more hitpoints than the interceptor. It would be nice to have the four lasers like the interceptor but the fighter just...has a place in my heart I guess.

It was a loving thrill man. I had my heart pumping like crazy.

At this point now I think imperials are OP as gently caress. At least until I get wasted in the next match. :v:

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 4, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also another thing that can really gently caress a team is if the opposing side can make kills within that 10 second respawn window. The team I was just on came back from a decent deficit and won because we accidentally staggered kills about 7-10 seconds apart so they only came back individually and it was often 5 on 1 for about a solid minute.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
anybody got good tips on how not to be a scrub? I feel like I can't do evasive maneuvers for poo poo, so as soon as somebody gets a lock/gets behind me I might as well just fly into a wall. doesn't seem to matter how much I fly in and out of debris fields or feel like I'm making it hard to follow.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Can’t know if you’ll fit until you try!

Sure thing, Porkins

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Generally get into that 50% throttle area and juke and fake often. If you still can't shake 'em then try to boost the gently caress out of there and max your speed. Like, boost for a while and be as erratic as you can when boosting so they can't just aim down the barrel. Also have a wingman.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Do people use the voice chat in this or do I have a problem to troubleshoot?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Generally get into that 50% throttle area and juke and fake often. If you still can't shake 'em then try to boost the gently caress out of there and max your speed. Like, boost for a while and be as erratic as you can when boosting so they can't just aim down the barrel. Also have a wingman.

Folks if you are playing with a group -- please call out targets. If you are being chased by someone, you can target the person attacking you (G on keyboard, Hold A on gamepad), and then you can see their name and even ping them for the rest of us to see.

If you call out "Hey I'm getting hosed up by Biggus Dickus over here, please help" and you ping him, then folks will kill your tail.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've watched a few streams and fleet battles seem to consist of 4 tie bombers and a support ship wrecking everything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alchenar posted:

I've watched a few streams and fleet battles seem to consist of 4 tie bombers and a support ship wrecking everything.

If you have a coordinated team and a good support ship you can basically do anything, fighter or bomber.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Bold Robot posted:

Can someone explain what the steps are you need to do to pull off a drift? I don't really understand it.

Hey from reading around in general I think a bunch of people are a bit off about how drift works, and the drift tutorial isn't very clear in game. It's actually simpler than people are making it sound:

By default the boost button toggles your boost on, and you tap it again to stop boosting. If you want to drift, instead of the second tap you press and hold, which essentially decouples your rotation from the vector you're moving on... for as long as you hold the button down, or until your ship loses momentum, whichever comes first. You don't have to initiate the turn first, or even turn particularly sharply, although the sharpest turns are the ones that trigger the voice lines. You can continue to pivot and fire during a drift over a fairly long period, provided you started fast. It's not like a one-and-done cornering technique, although it certainly can be.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I played through the campaign on the 2nd and had no FPS issues at all. I just started it up again today to do MP and my FPS is terrible, it feels like I'm getting sub 30. I know there was a patch yesterday, has anyone else had problems?

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!
Had a nice 8-1 game with the A-Wing using the dumbfire rockets, single target barrage missiles, and maneuverability engine. Feels like a good glass cannon build with options for all ranges...

... though I will probably go 1-8 in my next game lol

This game is a blast even if you're not very good!

edit: I was also using the countermeasure that turns a missile back on the craft that fired it. I think it only comes with 2 ammo so you really want to know where the resupply pick up is.

slagmatic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

dialhforhero posted:

Also, if you press "Target my attacker" followed by "Ping target," you'll alert your teammates so that they can help you. The easiest way to get someone off your tail is to get someone else on their tail.

Play with friends/goons in Discord if you can. When I see a target ping and someone says "help!" I'll often be in a position to break off what I'm doing and go help. We had a nice come-from-behind victory yesterday, and what turned the tide was us being chattier and looking out for each other. Half of my kills were getting behind someone who was tunnel visioned on a teammate and oblivious to my attack (I also flew without homing weapons so there'd be no missile lock to tip them off).

In the meantime, while you wait for help, try setting full pips to engines and remaining to shields (so hit the keys for full shields, and then full engines, assuming you have shields) and make yourself as hard to hit as possible. Juke, drift, weave through debris or structures, try to be unpredictable and a pain in the rear end. Ideally, do this in the general direction of your teammates. The closer you get to teammates, the easier it is for them to help.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

YanniRotten posted:

Haha what happened to the market for hotas sticks, I used to own a Thrustmaster one costing $30 on sale which now appears to be some kind of legendary object being sold for 5x the price by third parties.

Guess I won’t pay too much attention to the thought of “what if I get really into this game but want to be able to perform better by getting a stick and relying on ye olde TIE Fighter instincts” right now.

I got the last Thrustmaster at my local Gamestop and when I went in to pick it up yesterday, the dude said "playing Squadrons, huh?" so apparently it's not just the Flight Simulator folks scarfing them up.

I'm playing through the story mode (at Story difficulty, because the last thing I need is AI bullshit), still trying to dial in HOTAS settings. Does someone have advice on deadzone settings and whatnot for a bittervet like me who played all these games back in the day on ancient Saitek sticks?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Sure thing, Porkins

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

anybody got good tips on how not to be a scrub? I feel like I can't do evasive maneuvers for poo poo, so as soon as somebody gets a lock/gets behind me I might as well just fly into a wall. doesn't seem to matter how much I fly in and out of debris fields or feel like I'm making it hard to follow.

Adding on to what other have said, if you are playing in fleet battle then don't be afraid to book it for one of the light cruisers if you can't get them off your tail. New players tend to have tunnel vision and will gleefully chase you into the autocannons of your cruisers. Just make sure you bob and weave while you are running.

This might seem cowardly or whatever but you AFAIK you gain just as many morale points by having the cruiser take them out as you would if you did it yourself.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Reminder if you're not rolling in ESB/Kenner Blue for all your TIEs you're not a true Imperial. :colbert:

Unless it's an interceptor, then it's a battle between keeping the theme or succumbing to Soontir Fel cosplay by using the 181st markings.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Adding on to what other have said, if you are playing in fleet battle then don't be afraid to book it for one of the light cruisers if you can't get them off your tail. New players tend to have tunnel vision and will gleefully chase you into the autocannons of your cruisers. Just make sure you bob and weave while you are running.

This might seem cowardly or whatever but you AFAIK you gain just as many morale points by having the cruiser take them out as you would if you did it yourself.

One of the streams I watched had the streamer's team get utterly wrecked by the opponents taking the advantage and then doing this. They'd stick to their cruisers, come out as 5 to burn someone down, dash back to their cruisers while being repped to survive and watch as 2-3 more people die to the AI. Then they'd use that window to make passes at the capital ship. Streamer's team took their beating in good nature but couldn't think of a counter as long as the enemy refused to be baited out.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Say, how's the VR experience in this? I played some in the beta (without VR) and found it decently fun, but solid VR support would be the thing to actually push me over the edge and get id.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If they’re playing that defensively then their corvette/raider is totally in defended and easy pickings. Just hanging back and taking that out and then calling a target to pop whenever they rush would be enough to turn the tide before they did any real damage.

Of course that requires coordination and not having folks feeding them morale. There’s not really much an uncoordinated team can do against a coordinated team no matter their tactics.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Perestroika posted:

Say, how's the VR experience in this? I played some in the beta (without VR) and found it decently fun, but solid VR support would be the thing to actually push me over the edge and get id.

It honestly depends on your hardware and your willingness to overlook things.

Some people have terrible experiences. I can say that with a Steam-purchased copy on an Oculus Rift S, it's great. My only issue is SteamVR crashing when I quit the game, which is not a big deal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Perestroika posted:

The gameplay in VR is aces but the SteamVR support is bugged so YMMV until patches

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Perestroika posted:

There is currently a bug with the game not properly matching VR refresh rates. It's playable, but noticeably "blurry," especially quick motions. That said, it's the only way I've played the game and it's so loving cool that I'm putting up with the weirdness. People who are more sensitive to VR framerate issues might have more trouble with it.

If you have a 120hz headset, like the Valve Index, then forcing reprojection (ie locking the framerate at 60fps) seems to help. That felt better to me than running it at 90hz without reprojection. Hopefully they patch it soon, because once the game is silky smooth in VR, it'll be an easy all-time great VR title.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, that sounds promising enough to give it a whirl, thanks! Even if I do run into issues, the game's fun enough in regular mode that I can roll that way until it's fixed.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My VR experience has been pretty incredible. Everything has been designed in a way that you never have to take off your headset, including mission briefings, multiplayer lobbies, config screens etc. Usually games like these have the VR component tacked on, so it's really nice to see. I also think VR gives you an competitive edge.

Early on, occasionally I'd get bizarre judder issues that in not entirely sure is reprojection, seemingly independent of the quality settings, but a combination of setting vsync on and the window to borderless seemed to fix it for the most part.

Yesterday after the patch, I discovered I was able to crank the screen scaling resolution up and the quality settings up without affecting my frames, and that offset the blurriness a ton.

I'm running a Quest through Virtual Desktop, so I'm only needing to hit 72 frames anyway.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 4, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Yeah the VR patch yesterday fixed the game locking at 80% res scaling. You can now crank it up to 200% and disable TAA blur (sharpening right below render res) for incredibly crisp graphics instead of blurred edges. The only major VR issue I have is the same that affects all displays over 60 Hz. I'm using a Rift S and SteamVR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My VR experience has been incredible, except I’ve had some occasional but bad screen tearing during fleet battles. It adds so much immersion though.

I’d put it in the top tier of VR games I’ve played, and I have played a lot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Alchenar posted:

One of the streams I watched had the streamer's team get utterly wrecked by the opponents taking the advantage and then doing this. They'd stick to their cruisers, come out as 5 to burn someone down, dash back to their cruisers while being repped to survive and watch as 2-3 more people die to the AI. Then they'd use that window to make passes at the capital ship. Streamer's team took their beating in good nature but couldn't think of a counter as long as the enemy refused to be baited out.

The number of people who do attack runs on 20% health blows my mind. I understand that it takes some time to go back for repair, but the absolute pittance of damage you put out before getting shot down and losing 10 morale points is an active detriment to your team.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

Yeah the VR patch yesterday fixed the game locking at 80% res scaling. You can now crank it up to 200% and disable TAA blur (sharpening right below render res) for incredibly crisp graphics instead of blurred edges. The only major VR issue I have is the same that affects all displays over 60 Hz. I'm using a Rift S and SteamVR.

Do you know what the ideal resolution to set the Rift S at?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CuddleCryptid posted:

The number of people who do attack runs on 20% health blows my mind. I understand that it takes some time to go back for repair, but the absolute pittance of damage you put out before getting shot down and losing 10 morale points is an active detriment to your team.

At this time at least a full half of bomber pilots have no thought process beyond "attack capital". Ideas about morale or other players in general are not in their head. This will get better in time.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

veni veni veni posted:

Do you know what the ideal resolution to set the Rift S at?

I would also like to know this.

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Still working my way through the single player campaign but so far the gameplay is pretty fun even though I'm pretty terrible at it. The story is ok so far, not great, not awful but the interactions with your squad mates are definitely cringe worthy.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

From what I can tell every version of this game requires Origin right?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lakedaimon posted:

From what I can tell every version of this game requires Origin right?

Steam version does not launch origin. Not sure how your friends look you up in game though if you want to add them

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The number of people who do attack runs on 20% health blows my mind.

I would prefer this to the players I get on my team, who seem to largely be unaware that frigates/capital ships exist

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
My FPS problem seems to only happen AFTER the first game I play. I get a perfect locked 60 fps the first match and then immediately my FPS counter goes wild from 200-400 fps and the screen getting very nasty to look at.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Bought this game on Friday. poo poo loving owns. I know it's bare bones, but it scratches an itch I've had since space combat sims died thanks to the FPS explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Steam version does not launch origin. Not sure how your friends look you up in game though if you want to add them

The first time, you sign into Origin in-game and it does some hooking up.

I’ve gotten invites via origin in the game from people I only know on steam.