Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I got Squadrons and immediately thought "this is really cool" but I could feel the problems just under the hood preventing me from being fully immersed. Joystick deadzone problems which apparently a lot of people have and some weird FPS cap interferences for some reason. I hope they patch soon because otherewise it fees great.

Speaking of immersion Phasmophobia rocketed to the top of Top Sellers and I'm super-tempted by the idea of 'payday 2 but ghost-hunting'. Did anybody else take the plunge? On the one hand it's ten dollars but on the other hand it's early access and I don't trust like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think I am just a luddite or something cos I don't notice any deadzone on my x52 pro or any framerate issues, but I know they are they because everyone else notices them across the board

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I found out you can be a Skitarii and run around roleplaying looking for toasters while shooting anime nerds, so VRChat has something going for it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Enos Cabell posted:

Man, sucks that so many are having issues with Squadrons. Dunno why, but it's been flawless on my 9700k, 2070s, Rift S on ultra settings. I had one story mission bug out to where I had to restart a check point, but other than that it's all good.

I have exactly the same setup except Quest over Link, and I had do to a lot of dicking around with settings. Weirdly the one thing that finally made it stable (knock on wood) was slightly underclocking my GPU.

It's basically recaptured the magic of playing the old X-Wing games in STUNNING VGA with RICH MIDI sound for me. And yeah being able to head track targets when you're not flying one of the Empire's spherical coffins is awesome. They say that we have no advantage over flatscreen players but I don't see how you can't say that's not one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have exactly the same setup except Quest over Link, and I had do to a lot of dicking around with settings. Weirdly the one thing that finally made it stable (knock on wood) was slightly underclocking my GPU.

It's basically recaptured the magic of playing the old X-Wing games in STUNNING VGA with RICH MIDI sound for me. And yeah being able to head track targets when you're not flying one of the Empire's spherical coffins is awesome. They say that we have no advantage over flatscreen players but I don't see how you can't say that's not one.

If underclocking something makes things more stable, you may need to physically clean your heatsinks

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Whoever said you can play Squadrons with a gamepad is a loving liar. The controls are weapons-grade terrible, why would you want your throttle on the same stick as your yaw? I think I need a proper stick to play this game, because it's otherwise really pretty and seems fun to shoot stuff in space.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Whoever said you can play Squadrons with a gamepad is a loving liar. The controls are weapons-grade terrible, why would you want your throttle on the same stick as your yaw? I think I need a proper stick to play this game, because it's otherwise really pretty and seems fun to shoot stuff in space.

I only tried it with mouse/keyboard, but do you mean like this??

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Delta-Wye posted:

Can confirm, this is a pretty good control scheme. Of course, you want the throttle axis to be non-centering, so it stays where you put it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RFC2324 posted:

If underclocking something makes things more stable, you may need to physically clean your heatsinks

Yeah I made the same suggestion to them in the squadrons thread. Odds are you need to blow out your GPU fans with some canned air and then it'll be right back to how it used to be.

Nocheez posted:

You can remap the controls

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mapped the roll to the bumpers and just use the left stick as a throttle. The default feels terrible cause it's too easy to roll when you are trying to throttle and vise versa. The above scheme (which is one of the presets) feels way better for flying but I found it hard to actually aim with it vs essentially using the right stick as a camera.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

I played Superhot on a basketball court. Kinda broke the game, but it was a lot of fun.

Do the lighthouses have enough range to properly track on a basketball court?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Luneshot posted:

Anything over 5m gets unreliable but you can add more for more coverage so probably?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nocheez posted:

The controls are weapons-grade terrible, why would you want your throttle on the same stick as your yaw?
Uh, hope you'll never get into RC flying.

--edit:
Yeah, what he says, and what I mean:

Delta-Wye posted:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thoatse posted:

Anything over 5m gets unreliable but you can add more for more coverage so probably?
The officially quoted range on a Lighthouse 2.0 base is 7 meters, with a 10x10 meter total tracking volume with four base stations.

Information on using more than four stations is limited and mostly unofficial even though it is technically supported by the system design. There can be up to 16 base stations overlapping, but any given device will only track from four at a time so it's at best not helpful and probably actually harmful to have more than four overlapping in any given area. In theory with careful layout the system could support an effectively infinite tracking volume, but I don't know if the software actually supports that in practice.

A basketball court would be larger than a 4x4 configuration would support officially, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it can be stretched to at least cover a square area the size of the narrow ends.

My Lighthouse 1.0 setup yells at me all the time about the base stations being too far apart but it works fine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Luneshot posted:

I used a Quest

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

peter gabriel posted:

I think I am just a luddite or something cos I don't notice any deadzone on my x52 pro or any framerate issues, but I know they are they because everyone else notices them across the board

You are a luddite.

https://streamable.com/nxp2jt

You should get movement in-game with the slightest bump of your finger on the grip. Note how far the stick has to deflect before the game starts to see movement. You can test it yourself.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
This is rad: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75468/foveated-rendering-gives-reverb-omnicept-39-performance-uplift/index.html

Foveated rendering on the reverb looking real possible.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tip posted:

There's a vr mod for X-Wing Alliance:

https://youtu.be/cnUuERqFPqs

loving SOLD! Thank you!

Also I just remembered something daft about Squadrons: it did not bode well when I first pitched down on my joystick and the ship pulled up. That really tells you the attitude they were coming from when they made the game. No pun intended.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It sounds like you just really wanted to hate it to begin with tbh.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It sounds like you just really wanted to hate it to begin with tbh.

old school pc gamers HATE having to reconfigure game controls

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Now I'm probably being dumb but when I play story mode in squadrons everything works smooth til after a mission or two when I get crazy screen door if I move my head even though the game seems to be running smooth (as I type that it sounds dumb) if I then restart it's smooth again. I'm hoping it's a software issue, I disabled the steam overlay and made sure I'm playing in borderless, is there anything that it could be I should I just try lowering settings?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hyperlynx posted:

loving SOLD! Thank you!

Also I just remembered something daft about Squadrons: it did not bode well when I first pitched down on my joystick and the ship pulled up. That really tells you the attitude they were coming from when they made the game. No pun intended.

i too get extremely caremad when i have to go into the control settings and click one thing

E: I remember one of the Halos had a really cute way of handling it:

"Okay Master Chief, we are recalibrating your suit. I need you to look up." Bam, that would set your Z axis inverted or not. That would have been a great way to do it here. "Okay we're going to start with something simple. Just pull up and away from the ship."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

The officially quoted range on a Lighthouse 2.0 base is 7 meters, with a 10x10 meter total tracking volume with four base stations.

Information on using more than four stations is limited and mostly unofficial even though it is technically supported by the system design. There can be up to 16 base stations overlapping, but any given device will only track from four at a time so it's at best not helpful and probably actually harmful to have more than four overlapping in any given area. In theory with careful layout the system could support an effectively infinite tracking volume, but I don't know if the software actually supports that in practice.

A basketball court would be larger than a 4x4 configuration would support officially, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it can be stretched to at least cover a square area the size of the narrow ends.

My Lighthouse 1.0 setup yells at me all the time about the base stations being too far apart but it works fine.

Its all doable. You should see the sizes of spaces I've setup. The overlap is huge and with a few tools being able to see where they actually shine the IR, its insane how large you can get a space setup. With just 4 without any magic, just making sure everything is lined up and "edge to edge" as far as you can be, you could do a short sprint in the space. Like from a runners start, take 3 full long rear end steps, then come to a stop after a few stutter steps and still be inside the tracking area.

I mean the splitverse 15x15?cube or w/e was ran by 2 1.0 lighthouses for the longest time, and the lower big 30 foot or w/e cube was also on 1.0 until 2.0 became more common. Takes planning, but its doable.

Basically im saying, 2.0 can be magic. Its wild. If you have stuff in the envornment that can mess with IR, yeah it might be tough but a good solid place where nothings messing with it? Oh man the range. Hell I can go into my hallway and play beat saber, im physically outside of my actual tracking space and just the IR reflection allows me to continue to play. >_>

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 4, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hyperlynx posted:

loving SOLD! Thank you!

Ahahahaha you're a loving baby.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

wolrah posted:

That sounds right. I forgot about it but this jogged my memory that I talked to Alan Yates about the range of base stations when I met him at the 2015 Makers Faire. I was surprised to learn that the biggest limitation of their tracking distance (at that time) was the ability for the adjacent units to be able to synchronize via LED flashes. Apparently if you link them physically or find another way to reliably sync them the tracking volume of the hardware is warehouse/gym scale though I'm not sure if the software would freak out or not.

Base station 2.0 don't have the cable (the port is vestigial) though there are 16 channels iirc but I'm not sure how they sync or if it's possible to boost their bluetooth signals or whatever. There are examples of people having good tracking with 1.0 stations synced via cable that are 10m apart without problems though and based off my conversation sounds like if you have a longer cable you can go bigger yet. I think he said with a cable they would also work outside but that was like 300yrs ago at this point

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What’s the use of having such a huge tracking capability when you’re still tethered at 5m or whatever the index cable is? Ebola mentioned setting up huge spaces, to what end?

I ask as an index haver that would love to find a way to use more of my space beyond the current tether limitations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

What’s the use of having such a huge tracking capability when you’re still tethered at 5m or whatever the index cable is? Ebola mentioned setting up huge spaces, to what end?

I ask as an index haver that would love to find a way to use more of my space beyond the current tether limitations.

Because stuff like the Vive Pro, or Cosmos Elite with wireless exist.

Also video shoots, you need space.

Once valve figures out wireless itll make more sense for more users. At this point its really only useful for people who can light money on fire, or companies needing space for location based stuff, or filming.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Stick forward on a joystick puts the nose down. That's called "airplane controls" for a reason. Especially if you're trying to harken back to classic space flight sims.

Huff my space shorts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

Because stuff like the Vive Pro, or Cosmos Elite with wireless exist.

Also video shoots, you need space.

Once valve figures out wireless itll make more sense for more users. At this point its really only useful for people who can light money on fire, or companies needing space for location based stuff, or filming.

Ah, wasn’t aware of what all can make use of the new lighthouses I guess.

And yeah, tracking things besides the HMD totally makes sense.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hyperlynx posted:

Stick forward on a joystick puts the nose down. That's called "airplane controls" for a reason. Especially if you're trying to harken back to classic space flight sims.

Huff my space shorts.

And that's an option. You can set it to do that. They probably focus tested the default control scheme for controllers to match the mass market.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And that's an option. You can set it to do that. They probably focus tested the default control scheme for controllers to match the mass market.

IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC?!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, I know...

I am just being pissy that the game isn't aimed at ancient space sim players like me, because Those Games Are Better, Dammit, and I really wanted to play one in VR.

Ok. Unreasonable, salty whinge over.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Its really weird that people are having such bad issues with the VR because I have barely the minimum specs with a 1060/i7-6700k and Im playing just fine on low/medium settings with 130% SS and a Thrustmaster Hotas X.

Its a shame because Im having a god drat great time. Im not a flight/space sim enthusiast beyond playing the OG games when I was a kid so maybe I dont have a huge frame reference but Squadrons is some of the most fun Ive had in VR ever and Ive had a CV1 since launch.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
hey VR people, just sorta crossposting from the Squadrons threaed but ive..

1) Bought on Steam, read there is no Oculus SDK support. Swore, and refunded and bought on Origin
2) Spent far too long loving around with it and not playing the game and getting super frustrated
3) Read this thread, read about goons with my headset playing Steam with seemingly a lot of the drama im going through
4) Swore, refunded on Origin.. going now to buy it again on Steam

Its loving stupid and I'll report if this sorts it out. Great VR title but like everything else VR, it's certainly not just plug and play.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, I know...

I am just being pissy that the game isn't aimed at ancient space sim players like me, because Those Games Are Better, Dammit, and I really wanted to play one in VR.

It is aimed at us though. It just also tries to get the new folks in too. Or do you really think a cockpit only space flight sim is for the mass market?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vomitorium posted:

hey VR people, just sorta crossposting from the Squadrons threaed but ive..

1) Bought on Steam, read there is no Oculus SDK support. Swore, and refunded and bought on Origin
2) Spent far too long loving around with it and not playing the game and getting super frustrated
3) Read this thread, read about goons with my headset playing Steam with seemingly a lot of the drama im going through
4) Swore, refunded on Origin.. going now to buy it again on Steam

Its loving stupid and I'll report if this sorts it out. Great VR title but like everything else VR, it's certainly not just plug and play.

I bought it on steam and it was straight up plug and play for me on a Rift S fwiw. Ymmv but I haven't had any of the issues people are complaining about at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it was a zero effort thing for me as well, but I’m on native steam hardware. Reports really are way across the spectrum depending on all sorts of things.

I’ve been following your posts in the squadrons thread, Vomit, and I feel for ya. Extra bummer because when it does work, it really is amazing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I bought it on steam and it was straight up plug and play for me on a Rift S fwiw. Ymmv but I haven't had any of the issues people are complaining about at all.

:same:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, I know...

Are the controls not customizable enough to give you the feel of old school space sim games? The default HOTAS set-up in the game is utter loving trash but after 20 minutes or so redoing the bindings it's been a ton of god drat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Its probably a straight up Rift vs Index / VIVE issue. From what I've seen everybody on the former is not having the same issue.

Also potentially an Origin vs Steam issue.