Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Found a cool looking planet the other day and landed on it but forgot I was in my FDL with no SRV not my exploration ship :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Seams posted:

Found a cool looking planet the other day and landed on it

i did that 100 times in a row as i roleplayed OCD space explorer laying claim to 100% of everything in my own lil bubble of space, then i burned out on exploration and was facing at least a couple hours of nonstop jumping to get back to the bubble, so i started playing other games instead. i've played ED once or twice in the past two years, and spent 30 minutes scanning and jumping before getting bored with it again.

space is so big that all or 99.9% of those systems are probably still unclaimed. I'm paranoid that someone somehow got to just the earthlikes that i discovered, and sold all that data before me lol

ED is great if you like space things and especially space trucking and space dogfighting, though after those first hours where everything is new and exciting, a lot of it does need some imagination on the player's part to stay interesting. The constant promise of new content always kept me hanging on as well, especially the idea of FPS gameplay. Can't wait for those spacelegs

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

wow look at who's never listened to the Revolutions Podcast while exploring :smith:

For real exploration and, to a slightly lesser degree, trucking are almost entirely secondary to whatever else you're doing in the real world, on my last long expedition I did a pimsleur course and exploring space was fundamentally just a nice backdrop to doing that

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Did the tutorial and first mission. Very cool. I had a really hard time getting to the station I was supposed to dock at after I'd arrived in the correct system, but once I got the hang of the autopilot I managed it.

Gorgeous, gorgeous game. But I can also see how it would be boring. I think I'll keep at it, but play it slow and when I am just chilling.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rah! posted:

i did that 100 times in a row as i roleplayed OCD space explorer laying claim to 100% of everything in my own lil bubble of space, then i burned out on exploration and was facing at least a couple hours of nonstop jumping to get back to the bubble, so i started playing other games instead. i've played ED once or twice in the past two years, and spent 30 minutes scanning and jumping before getting bored with it again.

space is so big that all or 99.9% of those systems are probably still unclaimed. I'm paranoid that someone somehow got to just the earthlikes that i discovered, and sold all that data before me lol

ED is great if you like space things and especially space trucking and space dogfighting, though after those first hours where everything is new and exciting, a lot of it does need some imagination on the player's part to stay interesting. The constant promise of new content always kept me hanging on as well, especially the idea of FPS gameplay. Can't wait for those spacelegs

Yea space is big but the number of obviously interesting things in it within reach is honestly pretty small. Any specific noteworthy place on the map has probably been well-traveled by now; it's been several years, after all.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yea space is big but the number of obviously interesting things in it within reach is honestly pretty small. Any specific noteworthy place on the map has probably been well-traveled by now; it's been several years, after all.

it's a few thousand light years away from the bubble and a few thousand away from the nearest well-visited area, and offset from any direct route between things. I figure that a tiny number of explorers (or maybe even none at all) have found their way into that bubble i scanned, even after two years, and unless they're crazy, they're not gonna stay there and scan 100 neighboring systems until they find all my earthlikes. ...or will they :tinfoil:

how much of the galaxy has been scanned so far? like 0.01% or something?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rah! posted:

it's a few thousand light years away from the bubble and a few thousand away from the nearest well-visited area, and offset from any direct route between things. I figure that a tiny number of explorers (or maybe even none at all) have found their way into that bubble i scanned, even after two years, and unless they're crazy, they're not gonna stay there and scan 100 neighboring systems until they find all my earthlikes. ...or will they :tinfoil:

If you just headed in a random direction, the chances of anyone finding what you've been to are astronomically (lol) low. I'm talking about specific destinations, like the nebulas, or the center of the galaxy. Those places have all been thoroughly charted by now, I think, at least if they're within 10k LY or so of the bubble.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you just headed in a random direction, the chances of anyone finding what you've been to are astronomically (lol) low. I'm talking about specific destinations, like the nebulas, or the center of the galaxy. Those places have all been thoroughly charted by now, I think, at least if they're within 10k LY or so of the bubble.

lol yeah thats what i figured

im still feeling that space paranoia though. my precious rocks :qq:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Elite is an amazing, confusing, enormous, beautiful sandbox (the game's universe), which is simultaneously coterminous with several meta-sandboxes (the stuff you can choose to do in the game).

I don't know what the new intro missions are like, but the most fun I've had in E:D was getting fed up with my first pilot, wiping my save, and starting over as a new pilot who had nothing but a Sidewinder and the ability to make informed decisions about the game systems (rather than stumble into everything by accident).

The second most fun I've had in E:D was joining up with Operation Ida.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Rah! posted:

0.036% as of February 2019.

Space big.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I've had two joysticks break down on me in the last two year, the first was the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which started loving up after about two months. Whatever. It was fairly cheap. So I coughed up for a thrustmaster t.16000 which worked great for about 4 months (i've had to for almost a year but it hasn't had a years worth of use) but now the z-axis seems hosed. Just keeps drifting off to the right. Apparently it's a common problem and can be solved by taking it apart but the problem is I don't want to take it apart because I'll probably gently caress it up somewhere, and it doesn't look like I can get a replacement very easily. From what I can see people recommend joysticks made by VKBsim which are still barely in my price range but seem difficult to source (plus the one people are saying is good has to be assembled yourself??) I'm not even rough with the drat things.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Seams posted:

I've had two joysticks break down on me in the last two year, the first was the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which started loving up after about two months. Whatever. It was fairly cheap. So I coughed up for a thrustmaster t.16000 which worked great for about 4 months (i've had to for almost a year but it hasn't had a years worth of use) but now the z-axis seems hosed. Just keeps drifting off to the right. Apparently it's a common problem and can be solved by taking it apart but the problem is I don't want to take it apart because I'll probably gently caress it up somewhere, and it doesn't look like I can get a replacement very easily. From what I can see people recommend joysticks made by VKBsim which are still barely in my price range but seem difficult to source (plus the one people are saying is good has to be assembled yourself??) I'm not even rough with the drat things.

Very common problem, but fixable. You can open it up and clean the Z axis, also run the button wiring the other side of the screw housing so it doesn't interfere with the pot. Here's a teardown vid, but you only need to open the "shaft", not the base. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwo5eGzxeI

I have to lube up my thrustmaster, hnnnnggh, every few months.

EDIT: Also as a tip, the only thing that can be a bit fiddly and annoying about putting the stick shaft back together are the little silicon button pads for buttons 3 and 4 which are prone to falling off, make your life easier by dabbing a bit of glue on them to hold them onto the buttons before you slot them back in.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 5, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

blue squares posted:

Did the tutorial and first mission. Very cool. I had a really hard time getting to the station I was supposed to dock at after I'd arrived in the correct system, but once I got the hang of the autopilot I managed it.

Gorgeous, gorgeous game. But I can also see how it would be boring. I think I'll keep at it, but play it slow and when I am just chilling.

I like to tell new guys to try the shoot down tutorial as well, but not to get the kill as the win condition but navigation and button understanding being the main goal.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I played it a bit more and decided to return it. It's way too slow. If I want to chill and fly around, look at pretty things, listen to a podcast... Microsoft Flight Simulator is much more interesting

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Seams posted:

From what I can see people recommend joysticks made by VKBsim which are still barely in my price range but seem difficult to source (plus the one people are saying is good has to be assembled yourself??) I'm not even rough with the drat things.

Yes, most VKB sticks require some very simple assembly. Nothing to worry about.

The Gladiator NXT: https://youtu.be/c9-nfl5hL3s
Simple stuff.

And the VKB Gunfighter line is customizable with different cam settings and springs you can use, which requires you to choose and install said springs. It's worth the effort, as the stick will feel exactly how you want it to feel once you dial it in.

That aside, if you're gonna replace your current stick anyway, then what are you risking by taking it apart and trying to fix it? The 16000 is a good stick and you may as well try to fix it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Shine posted:

That aside, if you're gonna replace your current stick anyway, then what are you risking by taking it apart and trying to fix it? The 16000 is a good stick and you may as well try to fix it.

I'm worried about screwing up and turning my partially working stick into a non-working stick without a replacement on hand. Guess I'm gonna have to try though! I do like the 16000 apart from this problem, I just wish I didn't have to fix it in the first place.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Shine posted:

0.036% as of February 2019.

Space big.

Not gonna lie, that's way higher than I was expecting.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Seams posted:

I'm worried about screwing up and turning my partially working stick into a non-working stick without a replacement on hand. Guess I'm gonna have to try though! I do like the 16000 apart from this problem, I just wish I didn't have to fix it in the first place.

Having gone through the same process, I understand your apprehension (and frustration at there being an issue in the first place), but it's four screws and a hinge pin. You'll be fine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

You could always pay twice the price for a VPC grip and base and only have to connect a DIN cable… :cheeky:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
My T16000000000M has started doing the z axis drift thing and I'm reasonably sure I can prove this statement:

Helter Skelter posted:

it's four screws and a hinge pin. You'll be fine.
wrong :v:

For reals though, what kind of robot sex lube should I be putting on it while I'm in there?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I'm going to follow these instructions here while also using the video Tommy the Newt posted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTXIeArrGBlZ5YAMRVexKGuIzdoK_0_TxwjfY__lb2HfdakN5SPLdfEwsjspPcHcPYBxIsBwqUzlQc1/pub

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve had my T160000000M over three years now and it’s still in perfect order. How long does it take to start getting screwy?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Think I've had mine for three or four years now?

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve had my T160000000M over three years now and it’s still in perfect order. How long does it take to start getting screwy?

If it's not screwy now then you got a good one and should just not worry about it... "if it ain't broke..." etc. The pots are cheap and can be seated badly, they are also secured with a dollop of glue-gun glue that sometimes protrudes into the wiring that comes down from the buttons at the top, getting slowly nudged out of place. Then the pot itself can just get noisy, so what Seams is doing with deoxit and silicone grease will sort it right out. Some people get unlucky with them is all.

You can outright replace it with a better pot too apparently, but that might be pushing the limits of my DIY skills... it's a shame they cheaped out on it because the X / Y hall effect is fantastic. I think the VKB Gladiator has hall effect on both? If I were in the market for a new stick I'd want to leave potentiometers behind entirely I reckon.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Today I learned that corrosive missiles affect capital ships.

If you keep pounding on a cap ship's hull rather than the heat sinks, can they actually be destroyed or do they just bail when they hit some HP threshhold?

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seams posted:

From what I can see people recommend joysticks made by VKBsim which are still barely in my price range but seem difficult to source (plus the one people are saying is good has to be assembled yourself??) I'm not even rough with the drat things.

I don't know about difficult to source. Mine showed up in the US a couple days after ordering.

Definitely try to fix your joystick though. The VKB rules, but it's expensive. I ended up pulling the trigger because everything else on earth was sold out from MS Flight Sim launching during the apocalypse. Assembly was easy with their YouTube videos.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wound up continuing to play. And then I found out that If you have a mission to source a commodity and then come back and sell that commodity, it doesn’t complete the mission. You have to use the mission screen specifically. Whoops. Guess I’ll make that run again

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thoughts on using external websites to find profitable routes?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blue squares posted:

Thoughts on using external websites to find profitable routes?

Literally the only way to make trading remotely worthwhile. Also, consider mining instead of trading, at least when you've got some more playtime under your belt.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just spent my profits from hauling water on a mining laser!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blue squares posted:

Just spent my profits from hauling water on a mining laser!

Cute :) Here's a (relatively) cheap early-game mining build for a Type-6: https://s.orbis.zone/9ixs

If you don't have 9 million credits (or anything close to it), do Road to Riches in an exploration ship: https://www.spansh.co.uk/riches

Here's some example settings if you don't know what anything means that should serve you well (make sure you bring a detailed surface scanner):

Once you have the ship, you can find where to mine and where to sell here: https://edtools.cc/miner

One run should get you about 30 million if you sell at max price. Rinse and repeat until you can trade up to a mining Python, which can haul you about 120 million in ~1hr. That should see you set to start outfitting midgame ships to your heart's content.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 7, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ok so I took the stick apart and it definitely was not as easy as the guides online and even the video made it out to be. The pin in the trigger was an especially bad headfuck to get out. Nothing was dirty inside and I couldn’t see anything that would be affecting the Z axis so I basically just cleaned what I could and put it back together (the trigger pin again causing issues. I couldn’t get it back in all the way). HOWEVER everything seems to be working ok so at least I didn’t make it worse. If it fucks up again I’ll just take it back for a refund lol. Thanks to all who posted help itt :)

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Seams posted:

Ok so I took the stick apart and it definitely was not as easy as the guides online and even the video made it out to be. The pin in the trigger was an especially bad headfuck to get out. Nothing was dirty inside and I couldn’t see anything that would be affecting the Z axis so I basically just cleaned what I could and put it back together (the trigger pin again causing issues. I couldn’t get it back in all the way). HOWEVER everything seems to be working ok so at least I didn’t make it worse. If it fucks up again I’ll just take it back for a refund lol. Thanks to all who posted help itt :)

The 'dirt' is slight oxidisation that you won't see with the naked eye, you just need to deoxit the pot liberally, try to get the solution in the cracks, then add some silicone grease. It's normal that you didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. For the trigger pin it is awkward to get the trigger resting sidelong against a flat surface but once it is a couple of taps with a hammer and a thin nail, like a picture frame nail, should work, then yank it out with pliers. To get it back in it helps to hammer the pin through one side of the trigger separately, then attach the trigger, then tap it back into place. I actually just use a pair of heavy pliers for both the hammering and yanking.

I do understand it's annoying though, the first time I did it was pretty frustrating. Also I'm maybe more motivated to keep mine alive seeing as it was second hand and it turns out thrift is a slightly more powerful obsession for me than niche space games... Just.

The halo strap on my WMR headset broke off recently and I replaced it with a snood. Mmm, comfy and thrifty...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/717838201334530098/763304462369947668/Screenshot_20201007-093831.png

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tommy the Newt posted:

Also I'm maybe more motivated to keep mine alive seeing as it was second hand and it turns out thrift is a slightly more powerful obsession for me than niche space games... Just.

The halo strap on my WMR headset broke off recently and I replaced it with a snood. Mmm, comfy and thrifty...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/717838201334530098/763304462369947668/Screenshot_20201007-093831.png

:hfive:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The T.16000M is pretty good right? Seems like the Warthog HOTAS is the gold standard but completely unobtainable, but there's a few of the T.16000Ms on Craigslist/eBay and it *seems* pretty good to my newbie eye.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Less Fat Luke posted:

The T.16000M is pretty good right? Seems like the Warthog HOTAS is the gold standard but completely unobtainable, but there's a few of the T.16000Ms on Craigslist/eBay and it *seems* pretty good to my newbie eye.

Other than the problem I've had the twist RZ axis it's been very good, which does sound kinda funny but I would definitely recommend it over a cheaper Logitech stick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Less Fat Luke posted:

I’d rate the T160000000M is the gold standard in HOTAS value and price. It’s a great joystick and throttle and I vote for it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I too have been super happy with my t1600 hotas. Its made almost perfectly for elite.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boogalo posted:

I too have been super happy with my t1600 hotas. Its made almost perfectly for elite.

More than almost, it was basically made with Elite in mind, lol. It even has orange details to match the default cockpit color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Awesome, thanks! I'll try and get one then :)