Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lodin posted:

My favourite game on Mac was the port of Shufflepuck Cafe. While there were better looking versions like the Amiga one they didn't have the awesome voice acting. I actually did end up almost beating Biff once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di8P3skzq2A

Omg yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Earwicker posted:

it wasn't even that much better looking it was just colored in iirc. same with Dark Castle, a game i have not played since the 80s but i can mentally recreate every piece of sound design in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkbp4wurW0

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Did you guys have Tsunami, or The Big One?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There aren't enough cafes in video games IMO

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lodin posted:

My favourite game on Mac was the port of Shufflepuck Cafe. While there were better looking versions like the Amiga one they didn't have the awesome voice acting. I actually did end up almost beating Biff once.

Was it this fluid on an actual macintosh?!? I want to make fun of it but I'm really quite impressed with the mac games I saw on youtube with how fluid and refined they looked, not sure if that's just the emulator though...

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Was it this fluid on an actual macintosh?!? I want to make fun of it but I'm really quite impressed with the mac games I saw on youtube with how fluid and refined they looked, not sure if that's just the emulator though...

they were fluid as all gently caress on an LCII, I'll tell you that.

seriously though yeah, I remember these system 6 era games being butter-smooth

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lodin posted:

Wow, I've heard of this song referenced in a Futuristic Sex Robots song that I regrettably still have stuck somewhere in my head after XX years, but I didn't really put together it was a game. They really did a slick job with just the pure B&W, the little chalk arm from the side of screen to change the score is a dope touch.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

Glider was great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoooZZhM_E

There were a lot of really good black and white/4 shades of grey graphics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

doctorfrog posted:

There aren't enough cafes in video games IMO

Origami king has you covered

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haldolium posted:

It also plays like poo poo. Bad and boring.

It could do with being more boring actually, it's like chimera squad:xcom on that it's p much constant action. I could do with some of the pauses you get in fs2. Still a good game though, it looks and plays really well. There's lots of nice difference in feel between the ships, and I like the way you have to peel apart capitals.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
dug out my ancient fat PS3 to replay Metal Gear Solid 2.

This is pretty cool.

e: what the? every bottle is breakable?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 4, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Penis.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

There should have been more games that were brutally hard cafe/bar/restauraunt management games in order to convince people that they are not good enough to run a cafe/bar/restaurant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

There should have been more games that were brutally hard cafe/bar/restauraunt management games in order to convince people that they are not good enough to run a cafe/bar/restaurant.

People who complain about working in the food/hospitality industry are the only people worse than the people complaining about working in retail.

Unionize you loving fucks.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who complain about working in the food/hospitality industry are the only people worse than the people complaining about working in retail.

I spent a decade trying to get software developers to unionise because I am an idiot that likes smashing my face against a wall of Ayn Rand books or something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lost of the people working in food service and hospitality have a tenuous immigration status, allowing them to be abused and preventing them from unionizing

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I don't really like Fall guys or Among us but it's dumb that a new big effort game that had lots of time and people work on it can be just "killed" because streamers have decided SS13 for babies from years ago made by 3 people is what people should play now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flannelette posted:

I don't really like Fall guys or Among us but it's dumb that a new big effort game that had lots of time and people work on it can be just "killed" because streamers have decided SS13 for babies from years ago made by 3 people is what people should play now.

Streamers just go after what their audience wants to watch. They didn't cabal sit down and decide anything. They're all trend chasers and if somebody hits a fresh trend and they can switch to grinding a different game for views for a while they'll all take it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Flannelette posted:

What new big effort game is being killed by among us?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'll watch a minecraft video now and again. but i will not watch someone play videogames live, where they beg me for money and people donate in real time and stuff. thats just a creepy experience and i don't know why anyone would want it. its not even about the game at that point, its like a cam girl except the cam girl is pretending to be your friend

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rutibex posted:

i'll watch a minecraft video now and again. but i will not watch someone play videogames live, where they beg me for money and people donate in real time and stuff. thats just a creepy experience and i don't know why anyone would want it. its not even about the game at that point, its like a cam girl except the cam girl is pretending to be your friend

I really don't understand the appeal at all and its doubled by the dudes I know who have bland army man game "clans" with dubstep intros and blood splatter fonts despite pushing 40. I had one guy I used to work with get heavy into that to the extent it was the entirety of his social media, except he had this weird hate boner for people who just played games for their own sake. Like I'd post about enjoying Bloodborne or something and he'd post Reddity cartoons about people enjoying video games from Japan in response??

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Among Us 2 :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Disco Pope posted:

I really don't understand the appeal at all and its doubled by the dudes I know who have bland army man game "clans" with dubstep intros and blood splatter fonts despite pushing 40. I had one guy I used to work with get heavy into that to the extent it was the entirety of his social media, except he had this weird hate boner for people who just played games for their own sake. Like I'd post about enjoying Bloodborne or something and he'd post Reddity cartoons about people enjoying video games from Japan in response??

These people don't actually enjoy video games, or anything really, just the parasocial relationships.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I like to watch people play Starcraft 2 on Twitch, it's a game I always admired but never had the patience for and these nutters who have played it for 50 hours a week since 2010 deserve some recognition

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I like to watch people play Starcraft 2 on Twitch, it's a game I always admired but never had the patience for and these nutters who have played it for 50 hours a week since 2010 deserve some recognition

The guy who beat all the campaigns without losing a unit :stare:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

They're all trend chasers and if somebody hits a fresh trend and they can switch to grinding a different game for views for a while they'll all take it.

That's the dumb bit, trend chasing produces mediocre results, they have to trend chase and it has a disproportional effect on the market now.
And I mean "streamers choose" as the "invisible hand of the streamer market"

Panzeh posted:

Fall guys was very heavily featured in game media and was gradually climbing in popularity but after Among us got popular it shot sharply down and suddenly doesn't show up in media as much.
Games eating other games lunch isn't new but that was because the game was new and better, it would just be weird if SiN came out and then was forgotten a month later not because of half-life but because every game mags or something ran cover to cover coverage of an obscure game from 3 years before that sold them more issues.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Have you maybe considered that lots of people find among us super fun to play and watch, making it a good game, and you're just upset because you don't?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember everyone predicting Fall Guys was definitely going to fall out of the spotlight quickly because it's so anemic on content, and suddenly people are mad that it did?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fall Guys is a 160 person team, its hard to get worked up that another social party game beat it. I mean hell, League of Legends is like 15 years old and still outpaces new stuff.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Fall Guys looks a glorified Wii party game. I genuinely can't imagine why you'd find it more deserving of attention and success than the love child of forums mafia and (an accessible) SS13.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fall Guys and Among us both look fun but the kind of fun that lasts less time than the download

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i returned Fall Guys because the matchmaking and between-round interludes ended up taking almost as much time as the gameplay which doesn't work for me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fall Guys is in desperate need of more social options/game modes.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Working from home, both Fall Guys and Among Us are great during lunchbreaks/when I cant be hosed doing what I'm paid for.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Flannelette posted:

That's the dumb bit, trend chasing produces mediocre results, they have to trend chase and it has a disproportional effect on the market now.
And I mean "streamers choose" as the "invisible hand of the streamer market"

Fall guys was very heavily featured in game media and was gradually climbing in popularity but after Among us got popular it shot sharply down and suddenly doesn't show up in media as much.
Games eating other games lunch isn't new but that was because the game was new and better, it would just be weird if SiN came out and then was forgotten a month later not because of half-life but because every game mags or something ran cover to cover coverage of an obscure game from 3 years before that sold them more issues.

What really happened was that:
a) Among Us is super conducive to streaming. The videos are fun to watch, many of the top streamers pull 1 million+ youtube views per video, you can get 10 streamers in a room so the video viewers can cross-pollinate, and there's lots of down-time so you can talk to chat and do whatever.

b) There's not much benefit to playing Fall Guys in a group - e.g. Fall Guys doesn't have split-screen, local multiplayer, or much else in gameplay mechanics that reward you for playing it with people, so pugging Fall Guys is probably the default experience. Among Us completely sucks rear end if played in random lobbies.

Among Us is pretty fun if you somehow manage to wrangle 8-10 friends in discord and get some games going. I imagine most people aren't going to be able to do that consistently, and frankly Among Us strikes me as the kind of game people watch on twitch / youtube a lot more than they actually play, which is totally OK.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Have you maybe considered that lots of people find among us super fun to play and watch, making it a good game, and you're just upset because you don't?

Probably, I don't dislike it though it's a fun game for friends. But small devs will keep seeing these weird market disruptions happening and make their game lower risk and more towards streaming at the expense of other things.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

What really happened was that:
a) Among Us is super conducive to streaming. The videos are fun to watch, many of the top streamers pull 1 million+ youtube views per video, you can get 10 streamers in a room so the video viewers can cross-pollinate, and there's lots of down-time so you can talk to chat and do whatever.

This is all correct but doesn't happen in a vacuum, because streaming has an effect on the games sales and acts as marketing it will hurt games that are streamed less now, all by complete chance that it got popular at this time which is going to have an effect on risk taking for future games. It seems like since there are too many games coming out streaming has too much effect on commercial success which is less than ideal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fall Guys is also really half assed. The whole gimmick is falling off to get dunked in the drink and they don't even have a splash animation?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Love it or hate it Among Us got popular because it was a good game all along. People just discovered it that's all.

I hope they discover Aces Wild next cause that game kicks rear end and I want more games like it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fall Guys is also really half assed. The whole gimmick is falling off to get dunked in the drink and they don't even have a splash animation?

You know the lovely interactive game ads that you always get on ad-supported iPhone games? Fall Guys is that but in 3D. Proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZU9hALgcRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

poverty goat posted:

do any paradox games even have grids

What do you think pixels are moron.