Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

I’m pretty certain that if you are friends with someone in the game that you can join their game and you end up wherever your friend is and you can see each other’s bases. There are settings to allow friends to edit your bases etc.
If you are playing on the same system, I.e. Steam and you are friends on Steam then it’s easy to friend each other as a list of all your Steam friends shows up in game. I assume it’s the same for PS and Xbox.

Apparently you can also fly to another planet that has a player base on it and if you either know the exact coordinates or scan the planet, you can go visit the place.

Haven't tried it yet myself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The planet I'm on now has some loving wild fauna on it

First off there is Mr. Crested Oozing Penishead, then behind that you see one of two variants of worm colonies and then off in the distance are the Flying Saucers. It also has blobs with multiple eyes.

e: close up of the Flying Saucers. They are a ground animal

and the Blobs have Eyes!

Helith fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 5, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I love the wormy things in the back.
Also there are spiraling flying ground fishy things.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

finally playing this on Game Pass, never played it before now but remember the controversial release well. I feared going in that it seemed too "directionless" but so far I'm enjoying the core loop of grazing planets like a buffet before moving on. There are a hell of a lot of completely separate games going on at once, they're not all for me but it has the messy, scrappy feel that always appeals to me. Not sure why I would ever want to build a base (and the interface for doing so seems... a bit shite) but I'm so glad there's basically a massive side game devoted to it with its own unique currency and everything.

Question, I bought a black market scanner upgrade that gave me +9,900% profit on scanning fauna and now every new creature I scan gives me 25k credits. I'm absolutely not complaining but is this... common or did I get extremely lucky?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You got pretty lucky - 9,999% is the highest S class goes. Mid to endgame you'll max out at three S class modules, so it's common for it to be that rewarding but not so soon. X-classes are a pretty big gamble, S always comes with 3 stats but X rolls 1-3 and rolls its value from the lowest possible class number to a bit above S.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

finally playing this on Game Pass, never played it before now but remember the controversial release well. I feared going in that it seemed too "directionless" but so far I'm enjoying the core loop of grazing planets like a buffet before moving on. There are a hell of a lot of completely separate games going on at once, they're not all for me but it has the messy, scrappy feel that always appeals to me. Not sure why I would ever want to build a base (and the interface for doing so seems... a bit shite) but I'm so glad there's basically a massive side game devoted to it with its own unique currency and everything.

You build a base for the hell of it, or to make money. Once set up you can pull in 50 million credits worth of whatever for fairly low effort. Bigger you make it the more you get of course.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've been basically loving myself by attaching multiple S-class upgrades that are already close to the maximum possible bonus before trying the X-class updates. After three tries I got a +2.222% Fauna-upgrade that was just barely better than the A-class I had before.

I'll probably throw the X-grade upgrade out again the next time I see another S-class scanner upgrade. Though I can't really complain, I have 900 million credits in the bank and every creature gives me 120-300k+ credits. Even every plant gets me around 40-60k!

The one thing which makes me a bit sad: At the very beginning you could roll bonuses for minerals, too. But that was on a save I later deleted and my current one started after the update which eliminated those mineral bonuses. 200 credits per stone forever! :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I've been basically loving myself by attaching multiple S-class upgrades that are already close to the maximum possible bonus before trying the X-class updates. After three tries I got a +2.222% Fauna-upgrade that was just barely better than the A-class I had before.

I'll probably throw the X-grade upgrade out again the next time I see another S-class scanner upgrade. Though I can't really complain, I have 900 million credits in the bank and every creature gives me 120-300k+ credits. Even every plant gets me around 40-60k!

The one thing which makes me a bit sad: At the very beginning you could roll bonuses for minerals, too. But that was on a save I later deleted and my current one started after the update which eliminated those mineral bonuses. 200 credits per stone forever! :v:

Time to set up an activated indium farm and a a stasis device or fusion igniter farm/manufacturing base!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ded posted:

You build a base for the hell of it, or to make money. Once set up you can pull in 50 million credits worth of whatever for fairly low effort. Bigger you make it the more you get of course.

The only reason I've built a base was because I've found a beautiful spot on a beach under some trees where I can see the sun set every night. It's also just a wooden cabin, it's where I retreat every now and then.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Does anyone have a good link for a starting money making base guide (maybe expanding into a more advanced)? One issue with this game is that due to the massive updates there is a ton of outdated information out there. I've got almost all of the manufacturing recipes so I think I'm ready to start some sort of passive income flow, because I'm already getting sick of chasing down artifacts, bones, or salvage to make money.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

Time to set up an activated indium farm and a a stasis device or fusion igniter farm/manufacturing base!

This reminds me, a lot of my bases are the "lazy" version of poo poo other players have been doing.

For example I have:

-Just a normal Indium-extraction base (too lazy to continue searching)

-Separate Gold and Silver bases on the same planet (too lazy to search for Platinum)

-A Dioxite-farm (too lazy to search for Ferrite)

The only thing I've been absolutely going nuts over is the number of different bases. Going through all those teleporters to collect is slowly getting rough. :shepface:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Consolidate.
I got rid of most of my early mines and just set up ones that feed making stasis devices and where possible I have one site with 2 different resources available. Three would be ideal.
I kept a pyrite mine because it fuels my pulse drive.
Activated indium has no practical use beyond making money.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Recently started playing this game again, and man it's fun now.
Though, I have to say I was pretty surprised when someone who's username I couldn't read(because the game couldn't display it), randomly gave me like 40 void eggs in the Anomaly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Does anyone have a good link for a starting money making base guide

The previous best method is nerfed. Even a truly mammoth activated indium operation is maybe going to net you 400m/day with three massive extractor operations and enough storage to handle it. I'm not even sure that number is possible with the base build limit.

Selling minerals is much easier to set up but nowhere near as cool as crafting. Here's the (afaik, still correct) table:

(pick either Stasis Device or Fusion Ignitor, doing both is pretty much redundant)

A lot of people make a stopover in Circuit Boards for quick cash before expanding out. To make those you need four types of plants, a ton of glass for biodomes, and some time. After you've got some cash you can build out the farms more, set up gas/mineral extractors, and start making the big things.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Follow up question, what is there to spend hundreds of millions of credits on? Cool freighter, a couple of cool starships, then what?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that takes me back. Cryo Pumps were my own stop-over measure to get fresh money, because it was the one high-end crafting recipe I got back in the bad days of totally random recipes.

And I don't know if you actually need the crafting recipes for Thermic Condensates, Nitrogen Salt or Enriched Carbon, because you can bake that stuff in a large refiner no problem. (It was years ago, but I think I found this out when I finally managed to get the Hot Ice blueprint, which allowed me to make tons of Cryo Pumps as long as I had Radon, Carbon and Oxygen. Oh, and Salt and Chlorine.)

Edit: You can also refine the metallic stuff like Lemmium and Dirty Bronze with similar materials.

Just look at this list for Ammonia-refining for a few suggestions.

Your thumbs will be grateful if you use space alchemy to create entire batches at once, instead of manually crafting all that crap.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Deformed Church posted:

Follow up question, what is there to spend hundreds of millions of credits on? Cool freighter, a couple of cool starships, then what?

S-Class Freighter: $180,000,000
S-Class Frigates: $5-9,000,000 (Can own 30)
S-Class Starship: $8 - $120,000,000 (can own 6 total)
Backpack Slots: $50,000 - $1,000,000 (108 total)
Starship Slots: $1 - $300,000,000/slot (up to 48, across 6 starships)

You can also use massive amounts of money to indirectly farm nanites by buying and scrapping ships, and get to the point where you never have to mine anything ever again because you can just buy the poo poo out of it at space stations and from NPCs

Edit: Even at the $4.5 billion cap, you still don't have enough money to just go buy everything in the game, not even close, really.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 5, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Freighters can run over 300 million credits (I saw one I passed on for 270 m because it was butt ugly and my own B-class freighter was over 100 mill already)

I also bought a couple frigates in the 12-14 mil range, so that cost point can go higher, too.

Then there are multitools, which also cost money.

Of course, if you continually buy and scrap high-grade ships you'll end up with tons of inventory slots for your ships. Buying the slots directly is just faster, but not strictly necessary.

On nanites, if you're done upgrading all your ships and still don't have enough nanites, I suggest building a Platinum-farm and refine that poo poo into as many nanites as you desire.

Or if you're a crazy person, like me, make separate gold and silver farms, then refine the gold and silver into platinum, then into nanites. :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A couple activated indium farms and soon you will have more than enough credits for whatever you want, even with the recent nerfs to resource extraction.

I had extensive liquid explosive farms set up before I got into the activated indium farming trade. Activated indium is so much easier, making about 200 million a day with two farms. Couple of teleports and sell the stuff and I'm done. Previously I was spending quite a lot of time running around through domes harvesting plants and messing around in my inventory crafting stuff, for about the same amount of money.

I could continue doing both but really the indium money is enough now that I have an S class freighter.

Libluini posted:

On nanites, if you're done upgrading all your ships and still don't have enough nanites, I suggest building a Platinum-farm and refine that poo poo into as many nanites as you desire.

Or if you're a crazy person, like me, make separate gold and silver farms, then refine the gold and silver into platinum, then into nanites. :v:

i did this because i have 3 multi tools i want to upgrade the class on, but it takes so long to refine the gold and silver into platinum it's much faster to buy and scrap ships, and/or grinding pugneum to buy the illegal upgrades from the station traders to sell for nanites.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

i did this because i have 3 multi tools i want to upgrade the class on, but it takes so long to refine the gold and silver into platinum it's much faster to buy and scrap ships, and/or grinding pugneum to buy the illegal upgrades from the station traders to sell for nanites.

You can just leave your refiners running and do something else, though. If you buy and scrap ships, you're nailed to the ground doing the same thing over and over again.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Libluini posted:

Freighters can run over 300 million credits (I saw one I passed on for 270 m because it was butt ugly and my own B-class freighter was over 100 mill already)

I also bought a couple frigates in the 12-14 mil range, so that cost point can go higher, too.

Then there are multitools, which also cost money.

Of course, if you continually buy and scrap high-grade ships you'll end up with tons of inventory slots for your ships. Buying the slots directly is just faster, but not strictly necessary.

So buying and scrapping ships... is that a way to make money at all? Or do you basically get your money back, you just end up with the ship parts and potential inventory expansion?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

marktheando posted:

A couple activated indium farms and soon you will have more than enough credits for whatever you want, even with the recent nerfs to resource extraction.

I had extensive liquid explosive farms set up before I got into the activated indium farming trade. Activated indium is so much easier, making about 200 million a day with two farms. Couple of teleports and sell the stuff and I'm done. Previously I was spending quite a lot of time running around through domes harvesting plants and messing around in my inventory crafting stuff, for about the same amount of money.

I could continue doing both but really the indium money is enough now that I have an S class freighter.

You don't have to grind the pugneum, just go here: http://nmsportals.github.io/#11D6FCFFEFF5
The space station there has pugneum for sale and a few different ships that land usually have ~4000 each.
The scrap dealer has enough of the x-class mods that you can get 7 per reload.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Deformed Church posted:

Hundreds of millions isn't much, but the real question would be why you'd care about generating continuous, stupid amounts of money. The practical answer to that is the same as why I have massive plant farms and extractions (aside from having a ton of fun building them) for every resource - removing scarcity means you can just do whatever you want.

Money converts directly to nanites via scrapping, and nearly limitless money means you can max your upgrades if you feel like it. A new freighter can be decked out in a day because who cares what the cost of beacons is. See a hot new ship you want in your collection and instantly make it an S-class with max slots. If new content drops where large purchases are available then you laugh and tell the vendor to give you two.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

S class frigates are pretty rare to find and you can train even lovely, cheap C class frigs up in rank with enough time and fuel. An S class freighter is the biggest single expense if you don't get one for free. The real money dump is probably going to be ship inventory slots if you want to completely max them out, especially on multiple ships.

That or the arbitrary amount you dump into buying raw materials straight from NPCs to speed up building your space McMansions after becoming rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

You can just leave your refiners running and do something else, though. If you buy and scrap ships, you're nailed to the ground doing the same thing over and over again.

I've had things disappear from refiners too many times to ever leave the room while refining. Even then I'm saving regularly. Plus a stack of platinum doesn't get you many nanites at all.

Nullsmack posted:

You don't have to grind the pugneum, just go here: http://nmsportals.github.io/#11D6FCFFEFF5
The space station there has pugneum for sale and a few different ships that land usually have ~4000 each.
The scrap dealer has enough of the x-class mods that you can get 7 per reload.

Yeah I've noticed some systems and NPC ships have it for sale, I always buy it up whenever I can.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm just getting into base building and am working on grinding up ingredients on an old save where I somehow had around 10k nanites and around 150 million credits. Not sure what I did to earn it.

I have an s class fighter and a garbage scow c class freighter.

What things do I actually need to set up an indium farm? I want to make mad stacks.

Also, what does scrapping a ship actually get you and how does it turn into inventory slots? This game changed quite a bit since I played it in 2018.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Bought it from GOG and it's pretty fun and I'm excited to see how they've improved.

Although now I have huge lag spikes and freezing. It's even worse than Flight Simulator lol.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I am really digging the whole freighter/frigate thing. Just gotta grind out some more bucks to expand my fleet more.

OTOH, base building can gently caress off. Goddamn building in this game is finicky as hell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vasler posted:

I'm just getting into base building and am working on grinding up ingredients on an old save where I somehow had around 10k nanites and around 150 million credits. Not sure what I did to earn it.

I have an s class fighter and a garbage scow c class freighter.

What things do I actually need to set up an indium farm? I want to make mad stacks.

Also, what does scrapping a ship actually get you and how does it turn into inventory slots? This game changed quite a bit since I played it in 2018.

You will need the mineral extractor, the supply depot, and the electromagnetic generator (you could use solar power but much easier to use power hotspots). And you will need the survey device to find the power and activated indium hotspots.

Activated indium is only found on planets in blue star systems, so you will need to be able to access these. Find an A or S class activated indium hotspot that's wihin 1000u of a power hotspot, slap down about a dozen mineral extractors on the activated indium hotspot, enough electromagnetic generators to power them on the power hotspot, and enough supply depots that it takes a day or so to fill up. Link the extractors to your power network with power cables and to the storage bins with pipes. I like to put one storage bin right in front of the base teleporter so you can collect the indium and leave immediately.

Collect the indium dailly and you will soon have more cash than you know what to do with. Build more or less storage/extractors depending on your preferences.

Edit- I should add that the amount you get per extractor has been nerfed recently, you get less for each subsequent extractor you add to the same hotspot, so after a while it's worthwhile to make a second farm rather than adding more and more extractors to the first one. Or if you are lucky you might find two hotspots next to each other so they can be the same farm.

Scrapping ships gives you junk scrap items that you can sell to get about 3/4 of what you paid for the ship back. Also 2-3 ship upgrade modules of the same class as the ship which you can sell for nanites, and often (but not always) you get a ship storage upgrade thing too. It's the second fastest way to earn nanites, after buying the illegal upgrades from the trader for pugneum and then reselling them to the station upgrade merchants for nanites.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

I've had things disappear from refiners too many times to ever leave the room while refining. Even then I'm saving regularly. Plus a stack of platinum doesn't get you many nanites at all.

I'm wondering what causes this bug to happen. Over the years, basically every dumb NMS-bug in the book happened to me, but never that one. Right now there's tons of poo poo crammed into all three of my large main refiners and I left that poo poo sitting inside for months now, only occasionally when I walk by I switch them on again for the next batch.

Now that I've written this of course the curse will strike me too, soon. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I love my upgraded explorer ship with the giant solar panel wings on both sides, but it's goddamn dangerous to land on frigates with it because it clips into everything. I'm going to have to fix up a little shuttle just to use for running errands.

And a reminder for people building out new money farms: when you dump tens of millions of units worth of activated iridium or whatever in a system, it crashes the local market for days (weeks?) so selling there again will get you way less money. Make use of all those stations in your warp list and cycle through them for your daily sell-off. Finding a system that actually has a demand for activated iridium can be tough so don't be afraid to sell at like -6%, just don't do it at -35%.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think if you sell to the ships that land in a space station then it will never crash the market.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I love my upgraded explorer ship with the giant solar panel wings on both sides, but it's goddamn dangerous to land on frigates with it because it clips into everything. I'm going to have to fix up a little shuttle just to use for running errands.

:same: but an exotic with a big ole pointy bit on top. A couple times using the pulse engine to get closer, I've gotten myself stuck inside the freighter model and had to reset.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Twice now I've warped to my freighter and had it drop me inside.
Tried to get out yesterday but quickly had to just reload last auto to prevent death.

Took an old bit of Thudarrs advice and used 1 glyph on a portal and got my self to the center of Euclid.
Debating on skipping to the next when it will just as likely be pretty much the same.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

:same: but an exotic with a big ole pointy bit on top. A couple times using the pulse engine to get closer, I've gotten myself stuck inside the freighter model and had to reset.

I had one of these on my original save years ago and then it was parked in my freighter sometimes the giant top wing would clip into the freighter base and block hallways.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

OgNar posted:

Twice now I've warped to my freighter and had it drop me inside.
Tried to get out yesterday but quickly had to just reload last auto to prevent death.

Took an old bit of Thudarrs advice and used 1 glyph on a portal and got my self to the center of Euclid.
Debating on skipping to the next when it will just as likely be pretty much the same.

Again this is probably because it's been so long, but what do I do with these 5 glyphs I have? I recall there's some sort of portal somewhere...

Thanks for the advice on the iridium farm, mark!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vasler posted:

Again this is probably because it's been so long, but what do I do with these 5 glyphs I have? I recall there's some sort of portal somewhere...

Thanks for the advice on the iridium farm, mark!

You need the full set of 16 to make proper use of portals. You can get them from either travelers in space stations (the weird guys who are neither gek, vykeen, or korvax) or by finishing the Artemis questline.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah I think you can find the portal through the story line after you get 16, or observatories may also send you to one.

Found a 2 legger that makes me look like I got a big ole booty.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
To find a portal, you need to interact with a monolith, get the positive outcome for the puzzle, then interact with it a second time and give it a Gek Relic, Korvax Casing or Vy'keen Dagger depending on the species in the system. It will then put a waypoint on that planet's portal(there is only one per planet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Working my way through the Artemis quest line again, and through my wanderings found myself plopped down next to an Archives Building!

I also saw an S-class in my starting space station, but was 50-some million short :p

I've found a couple crashed ships and I think only 1 of them has respawned once and I've been waiting about 2 real-time days since then and haven't seen it pop back up. Kinda same with some of the interactables too? I put my starting base inside one of the pair of buildings that generate where there's a sphere you can learn a word from and some nanites to pick up and those haven't come back either. The damaged containers seem to respawn more often but sometimes it's just the rusted metal and nothing's inside.