Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have no idea what those two things are, but I finally had a Western Digital go bad on me last year. 20 something years, and only 1 bad WD.
It was a WD Black 1TB that was a storage drive. It was a slow failure where it just damaged files. It still spins up. Better that than just dying, out of the blue.
I pulled off what was important and thought " Oh, I dont really want to bother with pulling the drive out, it'll be fine"
Well, a while later, about the time I realize " Wait, my Page File is set to that drive" is when the corruptions managed to break the boot loader, and I had to spend the better part of a day trying to fix it.
In SMR drives basically the tracks are shingled like a roof, the upside is higher density, the downside is that since tracks can "overlap" to a degree so you have to buffer old data in overlapping regions and then rewrite the overlapped track once the new data is written. In other words trading speed for density. SMR is probably fine for Random Joe users who just want to dump data on a drive and be done with it but you definitely don't want them in like ZFS RAIDZ setups or something where time for resilvers can go up exponentially.

Edit: I was able to get about 80% of the data off of this Seagate before it bit the dust, which is better than the last time where it went from "everything's fine" to "doesn't even spin up" in under a month.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Basically... SMR is absolutely terrible for any workload with constant writes. Most SMR drives have large buffers to try and somewhat hide the write penalty, but once you overrun this buffer, performance goes to poo poo.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sheep posted:

In SMR drives basically the tracks are shingled like a roof, the upside is higher density, the downside is that since tracks can "overlap" to a degree so you have to buffer old data in overlapping regions and then rewrite the overlapped track once the new data is written. In other words trading speed for density. SMR is probably fine for Random Joe users who just want to dump data on a drive and be done with it but you definitely don't want them in like ZFS RAIDZ setups or something where time for resilvers can go up exponentially.

Edit: I was able to get about 80% of the data off of this Seagate before it bit the dust, which is better than the last time where it went from "everything's fine" to "doesn't even spin up" in under a month.

That is one thing I will miss about platter drives, getting to use the Freezer trick to revive drives

The WD black still spins up, so even when it fails, it’s still better than seafarers!
I found this neat. Opened a movie file, but it started playing an Iron Maiden song.
The pointers got mixed up, I guess. I’m wondering if one of those mp3s now opens a movie

stevewm
May 10, 2005
With no surprise to anyone... Spectrum already hosed up the order for service for our newest location.

I don't understand how they can fail at this so drat often.

I called business sales, ordered basic business Internet service. They said everything was great, gave me an order number, said I would receive a call back after the site survey was completed in a week.

2 weeks go by, nothing... I call back, the order # does not exist. They found the site survey though, which shows the site is serviceable. New sales guy says he actually got the order in place. I just need to call construction when I am ready to move forward. I have no faith it will go this way.. I fully expect all traces of the site survey to completely disappear by the time I call back to move forward.

How the hell are these idiots still in business? I mean... really? If they gently caress up every basic order like this, how the hell do they manage to even get new customers?!?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Captive market

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

Captive market

Yeah, I mean, you're still ordering from them, aren't you?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My boss is also annoyed by the fact they won't do anything until the building is up and has power.

Comcast, CenturyLink, etc.. have all been happy to rough-in their installation (i.e. putting conduit across the parking lot before it is poured/paved, pre-pulling cables, etc..) Spectrum is the only one I have ever dealt with that won't. Their construction department doesn't want to even hear from us until the cable can be pulled all the way into the building and their equipment powered up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, I mean, you're still ordering from them, aren't you?

I wish this wasn't the case.

It's between them and a local WISP that can only get us 10/1. I've never had a positive encounter with a WISP, so I won't even consider that route. This WISP also does fiber, but unfortunately they haven't brought it across the city line yet (which our location is just on the other side of) due to various political reasons.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

stevewm posted:

I've never had a positive encounter with a WISP, so I won't even consider that route.

I had a pretty good experience with Monkeybrains in SF, which does 5GHz and 60 GHz wireless across the city.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

luminalflux posted:

I had a pretty good experience with Monkeybrains in SF, which does 5GHz and 60 GHz wireless across the city.

Monkeybrains are pretty good, will even announce your IP space

stevewm
May 10, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Around here, in rural middle-of-nowhere Indiana, most WISPs were/are using older systems. This WISP in particular said the best they can do right now is 10/1. But they can do gigabit on their fiber. So I can only assume they are using some ancient WISP equipment, or their towers/backhaul is oversold.

Hell there is one serving the area I live in that uses WiMAX! 30Mbps for $249 per month.

I've not yet seen any using newer tech such as 5Ghz AC or 60Ghz stuff, at least around here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SIM’s are so annoying

Sending so many false alarms

“Drop everything you’re doing and update this computer!”

It already is...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wimax still exists as a concept?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

No matter how bad things are pissing you off today, just be glad you don't work at the IT department of Public Health England

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Wimax still exists as a concept?

Yep! http://www.bridgemaxx.com/

They used to push the service as a alternative to cellular data. The device they provided was either a hotspot type device, or a USB modem and they advertised that you could use it anywhere in the coverage area.. They have apparently moved on from that model and use a fixed device now.

They still use WiMax though.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
edit: oops wrong thread

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goddammit, my boss's boss just got fired/laid off, position eliminated, my manager now reports one step up the chain. The CIO announces that he's going to be evaluating how to increase efficiency and strengthen quality, that sounds like "we're going to lay off people from the already short-staffed teams" to me, anyone else?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Arguably the only non-mutually-exclusive manner to increase efficiently and strengthen quality is if you're in a Phoenix Project situation and there's legit a bunch of bullshit holding things up from actually getting accomplished that isn't a Chesterton's fence situation.

If there is though, try to think about what you can identify that might qualify as such. If there is a shitlist being compiled, helping your CIO achieve those stated goals, even if the literal intention is layoffs, might keep you off it.

Or it might draw unwanted attention to you, it really comes down to what you're reading from the current political situation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Goddammit, my boss's boss just got fired/laid off, position eliminated, my manager now reports one step up the chain. The CIO announces that he's going to be evaluating how to increase efficiency and strengthen quality, that sounds like "we're going to lay off people from the already short-staffed teams" to me, anyone else?

Whatever metrics you use, make sure you’re at the very top.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

stevewm posted:

Yep! http://www.bridgemaxx.com/

They used to push the service as a alternative to cellular data. The device they provided was either a hotspot type device, or a USB modem and they advertised that you could use it anywhere in the coverage area.. They have apparently moved on from that model and use a fixed device now.

They still use WiMax though.
poo poo that pisses me off: service providers that list speeds in "mbps" on their webpage, who obviously mean Mbps but are trying to market it as MBps. For example, this Bridgemaxx company you linked.

Edit: I guess they could be actually intentionally advertising speeds in millibits per second in which case my Haynes 9600 baud modem is faster.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 5, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao 3Mbps for $50 a month what the gently caress

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Thanks Ants posted:

Hey, if the latency isn't poo poo, I'd take it! Cheaper than ATT DSL , and twice as fast as what Im getting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey, if the latency isn't poo poo, I'd take it! Cheaper than ATT DSL , and twice as fast as what Im getting

And it still exists! Because as of October 1, ATT DSL was made EOL. :v:

I mean, they are still giving service to existing customers but taking no new orders and are internally trying to sort out how to migrate any remaining customers to something else (spoiler alert: if they don't decide to run fibre, your rear end is going to 4G).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
AT&T can't even migrate a phone number without loving it up, imagine how bad they going to hose tens of millions of rural Americans internet connections with the literal cheapest option that they can technically declare an internet connection

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, AT&T gives no fucks. A few years back they ported one of our phone numbers to another carrier and kept billing us. Nobody noticed for a year because it was a fax line.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sheep posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: service providers that list speeds in "mbps" on their webpage, who obviously mean Mbps but are trying to market it as MBps. For example, this Bridgemaxx company you linked.

Edit: I guess they could be actually intentionally advertising speeds in millibits per second in which case my Haynes 9600 baud modem is faster.

?

bits per second is pretty much the standard for measuring bandwidth. It's called "bitrate" for a reason.

Telling me something is in MBps or GBps, just makes me have to multiply by 8 to get it to something I'm accustomed to. Of course I'm old and set in my ways.

poo poo, I *completely* misread your comment. Yes, using small m when they mean big M irritates the gently caress out of me as well.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 6, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm surprised they are still in business.. at least in Indiana. At least 10 of the 17 Indiana towns listed on their page have access to either fiber, FTTN/VDSL or cable.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I was wondering if they were reselling someone and it turns out their bandwidth blend is basically Cogent, HE, and some local provider that seemingly just provides "residential IPs" for spammers and proxies.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

xzzy posted:

And it still exists! Because as of October 1, ATT DSL was made EOL. :v:

I mean, they are still giving service to existing customers but taking no new orders and are internally trying to sort out how to migrate any remaining customers to something else (spoiler alert: if they don't decide to run fibre, your rear end is going to 4G).

Around my area they replaced their poo poo DSL service with "UVerse". Which is just the same poo poo DSL service with an additional auth mechanism requiring you to use their poo poo modem/router.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i think the standard of doing bandwidth in bits is pretty honest and somewhat less prone to confusion. if you went with bytes you might have more folks complaining about slow speeds because they don't understand network overhead.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed Subject to $4.50 per month Network Upgrade and Administrative Fee

They're selling 1mbps up for $50/m in 2020, what network upgrades could that fee possibly even go toward?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

klosterdev posted:

Arguably the only non-mutually-exclusive manner to increase efficiently and strengthen quality is if you're in a Phoenix Project situation and there's legit a bunch of bullshit holding things up from actually getting accomplished that isn't a Chesterton's fence situation.

I mean our hands are tied on my team on a massive amount of poo poo that we should be able to do but are forbidden to do, but I doubt that's going to change.

Maybe I should finally get to work on that extra project I was thinking about. Our team is already fairly thinly staffed, cut many people and you can't have the 24/7 coverage we promise.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

I just noticed Subject to $4.50 per month Network Upgrade and Administrative Fee

They're selling 1mbps up for $50/m in 2020, what network upgrades could that fee possibly even go toward?

They use the 4.50 to snort cocaine op.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

stevewm posted:

My boss is also annoyed by the fact they won't do anything until the building is up and has power.

Comcast, CenturyLink, etc.. have all been happy to rough-in their installation (i.e. putting conduit across the parking lot before it is poured/paved, pre-pulling cables, etc..) Spectrum is the only one I have ever dealt with that won't. Their construction department doesn't want to even hear from us until the cable can be pulled all the way into the building and their equipment powered up.

Shove a fairly chonky UPS in the destination room, hidden under a desk, then run a 4 way power strip to wherever you want their equipment to be?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
There is a new manager in town who is asking for stuff, then double escalating up the line way before we get near SLA breach and not telling me that these requests are urgent, or that she has infact decided to escalate anything which is quite a surprise when they come back my way.

I have 2 bosses, one has already said to me who is this crazy lady and today she has escalated something to my other boss, presumably because first boss didn't support her madness.

I am sure there is someone in the business who would call her a 'go getter' but I suspect there are more people using the word nuisance

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have a lot of relatives that live out in the sticks in the midwest. Most of them had either satellite or incredibly bad DSL through ATT or Qwest(whatever they're called now). Thankfully I've been able to help move a lot of them over to lovely local WISP providers. Even at around the $40-50 a month they're paying for 10Mbps down its a value compared to what they were getting. They dont have nearly the latency issues they would with satellite and get better speeds then they would with DSL.

ATT will royally gently caress this up somehow though. Theres no way they dont. They're hemorrhaging money from their DirecTV business and will be looking to cut costs where ever they can.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Ever since AT&T took ownership of Cricket Wireless, I've seen new levels of low. I'm not in any way surprised, but like any horrible legacy company, the most surprising thing is how they remain in business with enough cash to buy other lovely companies. A match made for hell. Used to be, you could at least get money back for services genuinely not rendered.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not to be outdone by Microsoft renaming all of their Office 365 offerings a few months back, behold

This follows the rebranding of Google Apps to G Suite about four year ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Marketing folks gotta earn their keep somehow, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a new person starting today. Can we have their CPSI logon information?

I GIVE UP. WHO IS THE NEW PERSON?