Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

grack posted:

You want him? You can have him. "Future Considerations" or best offer.

Kempny for Beagle who says no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pretty sure we've covered this ground, but you can say the defense sucked when your goalie puts up a .936 and your team concedes 10 goals in 5 games at 5v5. Scoring 3 goals 5v5 in a 5 game series does not strike me as a defensive problem. That sure seems like an offense problem. Your top 6 was outscored constantly 5v5 vs Columbus. Sure you could ask why Keefe is distributing ice time as such. I guess you could blame the defense for being bad too. But, if you're so happy with your depth and your top 6 keeps having bad outcomes (regardless of corsi and xG) maybe play someone else? Shout out to Kap though with an impressive 4.5 goals against per 60. Totally worth a 1st round pick.

Was depth scoring a pen issue during the Columbus series? Yes. Should you make decisions on future team composition based on 5 hosed up games compared to the previous 70 games? Probably not.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Flyinglemur posted:

Penguins are going to trade Matt Murray away for absolutely nothing to make the room to sign Lundquist for one magical year of Rangers tears everywhere.

This would in fact be highly upsetting.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

pseudodragon posted:

Was depth scoring a pen issue during the Columbus series? Yes. Should you make decisions on future team composition based on 5 hosed up games compared to the previous 70 games? Probably not.

3rd in the Atlantic round robin loss. 3rd in Atlantic 7 game loss to Boston in the first round. 3rd in the Atlantic 7 game loss to Boston first round. 3rd in Atlantic 6 games first round loss to the Capitals. Oh yeah it is absolutely 5 hosed up games and a 70 game sample size. Uhuh. No pattern here at all.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

3rd in the Atlantic round robin loss. 3rd in Atlantic 7 game loss to Boston in the first round. 3rd in the Atlantic 7 game loss to Boston first round. 3rd in Atlantic 6 games first round loss to the Capitals. Oh yeah it is absolutely 5 hosed up games and a 70 game sample size. Uhuh. No pattern here at all.

No one is saying the Leafs don't have issues they need to improve.

But over that period they were 3rd in goals/10 in GA over 82 games, 4th in GF/20th GA over 82 games, 2nd in GF/25th in GA. Man, that offence really needs to shape up.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 6, 2020

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pretty sure we've covered this ground, but you can say the defense sucked when your goalie puts up a .936 and your team concedes 10 goals in 5 games at 5v5. Scoring 3 goals 5v5 in a 5 game series does not strike me as a defensive problem. That sure seems like an offense problem. Your top 6 was outscored constantly 5v5 vs Columbus. Sure you could ask why Keefe is distributing ice time as such. I guess you could blame the defense for being bad too. But, if you're so happy with your depth and your top 6 keeps having bad outcomes (regardless of corsi and xG) maybe play someone else? Shout out to Kap though with an impressive 4.5 goals against per 60. Totally worth a 1st round pick.

I think this whole train of thought is based on the idea that if a team’s top players don’t score in the playoffs veteran third liners can carry the day, and I don’t think it’s true. If Point and Kucherov don’t put up over a PPG apiece in the playoffs Pat Maroon isn’t saving them. Tampa won because their stars produced like stars this year, and they lost last year because of the opposite.

The Leafs have obvious roster holes, ignoring them to copy the Cup winner who does not have those same holes would be a mistake, IMO.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1313301239749255169

Well, poo poo

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Rest in piss, Connor

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He'll just grow new lungs its fine

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it's fun to think how much more responsible a 23-year-old millionaire will be than the President of the United States

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

FBS posted:

it's fun to think how much more responsible a 23-year-old millionaire will be than the President of the United States

https://twitter.com/fruitsareedible/status/1313302834524323840

Something something don't be like your idols or I dunno.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

No one is saying the Leafs don't have issues they need to improve.

But over that period they were 3rd in goals/10 in GA over 82 games, 4th in GF/20th GA over 82 games, 2nd in GF/25th in GA. Man, that offence really needs to shape up.

+11 this year, +25 the year prior, +45, and +11. In the +45 year the Leafs were 11th for the league. Pittsburgh for '16-'17 were 1st and 17th during the regular season (+48) they were +42 with 3rd GF and 6th GA. St Louis was +24. +29 for the Caps the year prior. All this is a measure of wins really though. Sure you can focus on improving either or. Imo someone like Coleman makes a difference to both sides. Toronto reminds me a lot of the post 2009 Pens though.

Koopa Kid posted:

I think this whole train of thought is based on the idea that if a team’s top players don’t score in the playoffs veteran third liners can carry the day, and I don’t think it’s true. If Point and Kucherov don’t put up over a PPG apiece in the playoffs Pat Maroon isn’t saving them. Tampa won because their stars produced like stars this year, and they lost last year because of the opposite.

The Leafs have obvious roster holes, ignoring them to copy the Cup winner who does not have those same holes would be a mistake, IMO.

You can come at it from either direction :shrug:. With how much cap room Toronto has improving the defense is going to be difficult since quality defensemen usually cost a bunch and the Leafs only have $4.6 with a few RFAs to sign. Finding depth guys that hopefully put up between 25 and 30 points and can drive play while taking pressure off your stars both by virtue of eating some minutes and being positive contributors or at least net neutral is invaluable especially in the playoffs. That's what Coleman/Maroon/Goodrow type players can do. It is what Cullen/Rust/Fehr or a demoted Kunitz did for Pittsburgh. With Barrie walking the Leafs D core is woooooooof though.

Obviously I keep writing stupid books about this...but I really do find the Leafs situation really fascinating. How they go about addressing their shortcomings and/or maximizing their strengths is either going to take some sort of wizardry or they will continue to assets around trying to address one concern only to re-emphasize a different one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lol

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He'll just grow new lungs its fine

That'll be an interesting Sportsnet special.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1313154305688559624

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Kilza posted:

[McDavid with Corona]

Well, poo poo

Eughhh...

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1313319241106423808

Euuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

[McDavid as Trump]

[Flashback]
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

:nms:

MoaM fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 6, 2020

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
More like Dannor McCovid.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1313341438130900992
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1313342191360770048

Stamkos has a NMC which I strongly doubt he'd waive but y'know.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1313343396476583936

Kilza fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 6, 2020

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Obviously I keep writing stupid books about this...but I really do find the Leafs situation really fascinating. How they go about addressing their shortcomings and/or maximizing their strengths is either going to take some sort of wizardry or they will continue to assets around trying to address one concern only to re-emphasize a different one.

I think there’s definitely one thing we can agree on: John Tavares and Mitch Marner are not and will never be worth their contracts

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jesus it’s hosed that literally the best hockey player on earth got covid... hope he’s asymptomatic

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
The Leafs have overpaid players but they don't have any straight up bad contracts. Marner and Tavares had injuries and still put up great numbers. Their contracts are worse because there's a flat cap and the Leafs were banking on the cap going up with Seattle and the new tv deal. I don't think things are as dire as some people seem to think they are.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

+11 this year, +25 the year prior, +45, and +11. In the +45 year the Leafs were 11th for the league. Pittsburgh for '16-'17 were 1st and 17th during the regular season (+48) they were +42 with 3rd GF and 6th GA. St Louis was +24. +29 for the Caps the year prior. All this is a measure of wins really though. Sure you can focus on improving either or. Imo someone like Coleman makes a difference to both sides. Toronto reminds me a lot of the post 2009 Pens though.

You can come at it from either direction :shrug:. With how much cap room Toronto has improving the defense is going to be difficult since quality defensemen usually cost a bunch and the Leafs only have $4.6 with a few RFAs to sign. Finding depth guys that hopefully put up between 25 and 30 points and can drive play while taking pressure off your stars both by virtue of eating some minutes and being positive contributors or at least net neutral is invaluable especially in the playoffs. That's what Coleman/Maroon/Goodrow type players can do. It is what Cullen/Rust/Fehr or a demoted Kunitz did for Pittsburgh. With Barrie walking the Leafs D core is woooooooof though.

With limited cap space, I don't think the Leafs have a choice in where to improve. Going from 2nd in goals to 1st is pretty drat hard without increasing spending significantly and they'll probably be somewhere between 1st and 5th again and you do reach a point of diminishing returns where adding additional talent might not translate to more goals. With only signing Mikayev and Dermott as RFAs, they can add around $2-3 million without making significant moves so unless they can get lucky with a good forward signing for cheap compared (which every team should always look for anyways) to a market value Dman, a dman that can improve their top 4 from absolute garbage to even below average is going to have a much greater impact than a bottom 6 foward.

And with the depth scoring, the thing is that they had that during the regular season. They had 11 dudes on a 25+ point pace in the regular season and 8 at 40+ and if there's one thing the Leafs have been good at it's churning depth forwards. They probably need to find some guys who play differently than their current guys so they can slow down a game when they have to but I don't know how much better they can get significantly better up front without getting lucky with a draft pick or a cheap FA having a career year. Like just going to someone that's not Goat for a neutral player and swapping out Johnsson for someone that provides equal value but skewed more towards defence than offence will probably improve the unit overall without spending additional non-existent cap space or valuable resources.

Dr Zaius posted:

The Leafs have overpaid players but they don't have any straight up bad contracts. Marner and Tavares had injuries and still put up great numbers. Their contracts are worse because there's a flat cap and the Leafs were banking on the cap going up with Seattle and the new tv deal. I don't think things are as dire as some people seem to think they are.

Yeah, their problem is that they don't have any bargains that allow them to overspend elsewhere. Everyone is making just about what they should give or. If everyone was a FA now, I don't think anyone gets a significant pay cut except maybe Kerfoot but the only ones that would be laughing at a pay raise are Rielly, Hyman who don't have much term left and maybe Willy,

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Also, the Leafs top 4D weren't that terrible, they just had absolutely no depth and had to play Martin Marincin when all the injuries struck. It's no secret they desperately need some RD, but my god, what a difference a competent backup goalie could make and better play from Freddie or whoever is starting. It cannot be emphasized enough how much those Hutchinson starts torpedoed their season. That is Dubas' biggest failure so far in my opinion and I feel a lot more confident about Campbell playing 25-30 starts, but then again who the gently caress knows with goalies?

They start the season with Keefe coaching and any other backup and they're probably in the round robin and maybe Barrie is half what we expected him to be. I don't think they need to make drastic changes and I hope they don't. Get two competent d-men and uh don't get hurt lol.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Hutch played pretty well for Colorado. :)

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Yeah and Colorado would have been in the finals if he didn't play for them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1313455037381828608

ahahhahaa

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL in the bubble: After a gruelling lockdown process to ensure the players remain virus free we're happy to announce that the sacrifice has been worth it and we're the only league that did not have a positive test!

NHL players the moment they leave the bubble:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1313301239749255169?s=19

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Jesus it’s hosed that literally the best hockey player on earth got covid... hope he’s asymptomatic

Not any more hosed than the person forced to go back to work in order to pay the bills and catching it and getting sick and ending up in medical debt while they lose their house and maybe there lives

What I’m saying is gently caress Conner mvdavid he’s rich as gently caress and could quarantine and has no worries about making ends meet and he probably got it doing something stupid while thinking he’s young and invincible

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well there's your designated punchman.

The wayne of old is cooked and done, but there are worse guys to have on a low line and maybe still sitting in front of the net on the power play, but his game took a toll on him and he is a loootttt slower now

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Well there's your designated punchman.

The wayne of old is cooked and done, but there are worse guys to have on a low line and maybe still sitting in front of the net on the power play, but his game took a toll on him and he is a loootttt slower now

Agreed, but the love I have for Wayne Train is hoping maybe he also needs the right fit. His last 3 team stints was Nashville (wrong fit), and then on bad Devils and Sabres teams. Maybe with sheltered bottom 6 mins and the right line mates he can have another season or two in him. Especially because he likely will be what, $1-2 million tops now, versus his previous $5 mill contract ?

Lol that the Sabres were buyers for him at the last trade deadline though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I think there’s definitely one thing we can agree on: John Tavares and Mitch Marner are not and will never be worth their contracts

Yeah. By not receiving *any* 'hometown discounts' the Leafs have an extremely difficult time trying to flesh out the rest of the roster.

pseudodragon posted:

With limited cap space, I don't think the Leafs have a choice in where to improve. Going from 2nd in goals to 1st is pretty drat hard without increasing spending significantly and they'll probably be somewhere between 1st and 5th again and you do reach a point of diminishing returns where adding additional talent might not translate to more goals. With only signing Mikayev and Dermott as RFAs, they can add around $2-3 million without making significant moves so unless they can get lucky with a good forward signing for cheap compared (which every team should always look for anyways) to a market value Dman, a dman that can improve their top 4 from absolute garbage to even below average is going to have a much greater impact than a bottom 6 foward.

The Leafs lose Barrie who is a say $6.5 million per d man that goes either to the top pairing or if you're lucky 3 slot. Being rid of Cody Ceci is massive addition by subtraction. Muzzin starts his $5.625 deal this year and presumably is the #2 right now. Toronto's hole is the 2nd pairing. Filling a 2nd pairing with $3 mil is a super tough ask. Which is what I was trying to get at vs improving the bottom 6 with say 2 guys at $1m-1.5m per can make a surprising difference. Getting someone like Nic Petan, Dennis Malgin, Frederick Gauthier or Trevor Moore out of your lineup with a net positive contributor would be a solid little improvement. However, getting a quality defenseman in would make the most significant impact...affording that without neutering the team elsewhere is the difficulty.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bregor posted:

Kempny for Beagle who says no?

This is the type of mutually advantageous, sensible deal that has absolutely no place in hockey.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I mean do they know that there are players out there that are hard to play against that are also not deep in the downswing of their career, aging out of the style of play that made them successful?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

WeaponX posted:

I mean do they know that there are players out there that are hard to play against that are also not deep in the downswing of their career, aging out of the style of play that made them successful?

wayne simmonds big

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1313470591857569793?s=19

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

i am the bird posted:

wayne simmonds big

Weird part is he really isn’t a traditional “big” punchman. He isn’t even that big. He has a specific role in front of the net battling for position, screening, and deflecting and throwing the occasional big hit. Those are not skills that age well.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 6, 2020

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

WeaponX posted:

They do not.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

Also, the Leafs top 4D weren't that terrible, they just had absolutely no depth and had to play Martin Marincin when all the injuries struck.

Here’s my thing: if a team consistently gets bad results, it stands to reason that it’s because there are lots of bad players on the team. I can’t imagine watching this Leafs club going “yeah this group as a whole is good.” If depth guys get annihilated every time they play up in the roster they’re bad depth guys.

WeaponX posted:

Evidently not, the Leafs are here to acquire players like it’s still 2015

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

WeaponX posted:

Weird part is he really isn’t a traditional “big” punchman. He isn’t even that big. He has a specific role in front of the net battling for position, screening, and deflecting and throwing the occasional big hit. Those are not skills that age well.

wayne simmonds play big

and you can't teach playing big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

This raises the question of if the Pens could have moved Hornqvist to the Leafs instead of pitching their first for a 3rd liner.