Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

fartknocker posted:

Arthur Blank leaves him in Wisconsin, a truly dark fate.

With COVID exploding in that part of the state no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RealMattlanta/status/1313329521236619264

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
McCarthy has to be mild at this point. This is conference championship or bust and he might luck into the division title because everyone sucks.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think he gets 2 years at a min.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Can't wait for Josh McDaniels, new Head Coach of the Detroit Lions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope McDaniels snubs the Texans at the last minute like he did the Colts.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mega64 posted:

I hope McDaniels snubs the Texans at the last minute like he did the Colts.

Anyone taking that job is gonna think twice about it before saying yes because BoB salted the earth there real good. Yea you have Watson but the rest of the roster sucks, you have no draft picks, and the cap situation is uhh.. not good

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This feels reminiscent of how the Jets handled Maccagnan’s final months. Which is usually not where you want to be looking for a role model. Let the guy on the hot seat make a bunch of splashy desperation moves that will define the team for years to come, then abruptly fire him.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It reminds me of the Eagles and Chip Kelly. They gave him enough rope to hang himself. I don't really get the timing though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It was the right move because, you know, sunk cost fallacy.

But man, so weird to implicitly trust a man enough to allow him to trade multiple firsts for Tunsil and give up Hopkins for a second round, but not to right the ship after a four game stretch against a ridiculous schedule.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Vikings do not count as part of a ridiculous schedule that's like eating cereal, milk, eggs and a krispy kreme and claming you had a balanced breakfast

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
DeShaun Watson is getting murdered by BoBs playcalling and coaching, might as well just have the interim come in and shift to a safer offense and protect your young QB

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean it could be they trusted him until they saw these dumb poo poo moves and the win record it produced, and realized they need to stop the bleeding before it gets worse and he gets more desperate.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fast cars loose anus posted:

The Vikings do not count as part of a ridiculous schedule that's like eating cereal, milk, eggs and a krispy kreme and claming you had a balanced breakfast

Well, that's exactly it isn't it? If O'Brien was going to right the ship after a "ridiculous schedule" he should have been able to manage it at home against a winless Vikings team that couldn't practice.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well, that's exactly it isn't it? If O'Brien was going to right the ship after a "ridiculous schedule" he should have been able to manage it at home against a winless Vikings team that couldn't practice.

Right it's precisely why he got fired when he did, I expect, since there can be simply no excuse for it like there could with the other three teams

The right time to fire him was ages ago OR at least get a real GM instead of letting him do it but this was the first point where you could definitely go "there's literally no conceivable reason to keep him around anymore" once you started the season with him in place

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

I mean it could be they trusted him until they saw these dumb poo poo moves and the win record it produced, and realized they need to stop the bleeding before it gets worse and he gets more desperate.

God help me, I wonder if he DID get more desperate and was like listen, Texans owner guy, what we REALLY need to do is trade away Deshaun and JJ watt they are bringing us down i need to bring in PATRIOTS PLAYERS WHO HAVE A CULTURE OF WINNING

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol imagine some proposed trade for all the Patriots castoffs now on the Lions that got him canned.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

They have been alluding to some kind of blow up in the locker room that turned everyone against him

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

God

https://twitter.com/falconskelsey/status/1313563261875433477?s=21

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Maybe it was a condition of Watson signing an extension

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

What a rotten turd of a coach...well past his sell by date.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pershing posted:

What a rotten turd of a coach...well past his sell by date.

I think Blank is having a hard time walking away from the coach that got them to a Super Bowl.

Really though, he should’ve cleaned house right after that - coaches and players - cuz psychologically there’s no way for anyone involved with 28-3 to get past that kind of travesty.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LabyaMynora posted:

I think Blank is having a hard time walking away from the coach that got them to a Super Bowl.

Really though, he should’ve cleaned house right after that - coaches and players - cuz psychologically there’s no way for anyone involved with 28-3 to get past that kind of travesty.

The coach that got him there was Shanahan who left after that season anyway. Once it became clear that Quinn couldn’t build a decent defense, his specialty, his value to the team was basically nil.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

in retrospect the panthers should have done the same thing after the 08 cardinals game

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nodoze posted:

They have been alluding to some kind of blow up in the locker room that turned everyone against him

Supposedly they wanted nothing to do with Earl Thomas and BoB brought him in for a workout anyway, which may have been the final straw in losing the locker room.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Benne posted:

Supposedly they wanted nothing to do with Earl Thomas and BoB brought him in for a workout anyway, which may have been the final straw in losing the locker room.

Lol at losing your job dieing on that hill

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Quiet Feet posted:

Trade everyone but Watson Bingo bango you got like fifty draft picks, gotta hit with some of 'em.

fifty seventh rounders, maybe. who exactly do they have who would be attractive? most of them have already left. Tunsil is the only one who comes to mind as far as youngish players other teams would be interested in. Maybe Justin Reid. Not seeing much anywhere else

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

you mean like he just learned the word and now he's shoehorning it into everything he says?

I'm determined to get some coffee
I determine that you should resend that email to me

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
now I'm imagining Dan Quinn staring at the ceiling in his office and repeating the word determined to himself where it stops sounding like a word

deeeee terrrr mined
deter mined
de ter min ed

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

LabyaMynora posted:

I've wondered how much of the other stress in Blank's life is affecting this. He went thru a divorce last year, he's getting on in years and he's a cancer survivor. And I don't know what the market for a replacement looks like.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pershing posted:

I've wondered how much of the other stress in Blank's life is affecting this. He went thru a divorce last year, he's getting on in years and he's a cancer survivor. And I don't know what the market for a replacement looks like.
BoB is available

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Pershing posted:

Bieniemy and McDaniels will be the hot names next year.

Daboll: Bills OC who turned the rawest QB ever into a quality starter
Greg Roman: Ravens OC.
Byron Leftwich: Arians right hand man which the OC title. I have a feeling he'll end up the Rooney Rule guy of the year though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bieniemy and McDaniels will be the hot names next year.

Daboll: Bills OC who turned the rawest QB ever into a quality starter
Greg Roman: Ravens OC.
Byron Leftwich: Arians right hand man which the OC title. I have a feeling he'll end up the Rooney Rule guy of the year though.

Leftwich is probably taking over for Arians when he retires after next season.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vance joseph turned around the cardinals defense ahead of schedule but they're out like 5 safeties so they look like dog poo poo currently. He's not in the top tier but I'd compare him to like... todd bowles.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hifi posted:

vance joseph turned around the cardinals defense ahead of schedule but they're out like 5 safeties so they look like dog poo poo currently. He's not in the top tier but I'd compare him to like... todd bowles.

they just got poo poo wrecked by the panthers and their first round defender barely made it into the stat sheet.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

hifi posted:

Vance Joseph is pretty weird to me. He was basically seemingly fated to be a HC like when he was at Cincy(and got there almost immediately), and when he was with the Dolphins he was basically like an executive DB coach. He had the LB coach design the front and the defense for him, which was kinda wild(and also sucked)... and now he's doing something else? And doing it well?

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 7, 2020

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Being a good coordinator doesn't always translate into being a good head coach.

The last time Vance Joseph was head coach, he was outsmarted by BOB of all people.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vance Joseph accidentally wrote his name backwards on one of those forms that puts surname before given name and was too polite to ever correct it, thats what i think

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol that actually happened to my cousin's great grandfather or something when he immigrated to America originally and that's why his family's last name is instead a common first name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

So now much can we really blame Nagy for Kissing Titties and Shrunk Dick Nick?