Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a encore grinder and it works pretty good but it's loud and makes a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You guys do a great job of spotlighting the laborious chore that is coffee.

Just give in and become morning cola people. Throw away your dignity. Save lots of time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Gross

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

shadow puppet of a posted:

Just give in and become morning cola people. Throw away your dignity. Save lots of time.

Imagine disgracing yourself on here like you just did. Imagine it. Wow

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It kind of is. Wash the carafe and grounds every day, refill water, prepare new grounds.

K-cups are super lazy and environmentally unsound, but wow they seem so much more convenient.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Welcome to Coffee, I love you!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The last month or so I've just gotten into making my own coffee since using the touchscreen coffee/espresso machine at my office is no longer a thing because I'm still working from home.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a burr grinder. Saw one at Costco...

:sludgepal:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Not nearly enough caffeine.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not nearly enough caffeine.

24 packs of BANG ENERGY DRINK on sale right now, hope this helps

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GORDON posted:

K-cups are super lazy and environmentally unsound, but wow they seem so much more convenient.
Mmm, convenience of warm water that tastes like it was run through dirty socks.

I do the drip, but on occasion I get fancy and get out the frothy and French press.

For what it's worth the ily iPerEspresso machines made a good cup.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't understand the appeal of K-cups at all, they all taste horrid.

Then again any time someone other than me makes the coffee at work, it also tastes horrid.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
k cups are pure 100% wagyu grade dogshit

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't there a few different styles of cups, at this point? I want to say I once had one that had actual grounds in the cup, and it didn't taste horrid.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My kureg lets me use reusable k-cups that I just fill with a bag of ground coffee.

It's like 1/10 the cost of the k-cups and only requires me to rinse out the reusable k-cups after I make a cup.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just drink instant coffee. The good brands, any instant coffee with actual coffee crystals instead of ground up powder, will at minimum taste 10x better then any kcup and also be way less acidic.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

What about a morning Dew?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pentyne posted:

I just drink instant coffee. The good brands, any instant coffee with actual coffee crystals instead of ground up powder, will at minimum taste 10x better then any kcup and also be way less acidic.

Costco has the starbucks instant packs for pretty good price, I keep a couple around for emergencies at work because they stop running the coffee machine after like 2pm or some bullshit.

Not amazing but drinkable!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

silence_kit posted:

What about a morning Dew?

Where I am they neuter the dew. It’s just sugar. Otherwise this is a better choice than the global suffering inflicted by “fair trade” coffee.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Where I am they neuter the dew. It’s just sugar.

Wow, that's messed up

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

24 packs of BANG ENERGY DRINK on sale right now, hope this helps

Even though there's a ton of dumb sponsorships with internet personalities, G-Fuel is actually pretty good. 20 powder packets for 25 bucks is a lot better than even buying energy drinks in bulk.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i like sugar free energy drinks and i wont apologize for it BITVTCH

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't understand the appeal of K-cups at all, they all taste horrid.

Then again any time someone other than me makes the coffee at work, it also tastes horrid.

I agree, the k cups are poo poo. And wasteful. I moved away from them

On the other hand I bought 8oz of Hawaiian Kona coffee for $65 so welp I know little about coffee

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Costco packs of 5 hour energy got me through my M.S. and used to be a staple part of my pre-race setup for triathlons.

FORUMS USER 1135 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 7, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Where I am they neuter the dew. It’s just sugar. Otherwise this is a better choice than the global suffering inflicted by “fair trade” coffee.

MTN Dew(tm) has had caffeine in Canada for like a decade now

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Walrus posted:

MTN Dew(tm) has had caffeine in Canada for like a decade now

You know full well I choose to live forever in the 90s.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I agree with the goon(s) ITT who say the Kirkland canned coffee is good.

My coffee story: I drank one of those cans daily because they are a great bargain and keep me going. Then I switched to buying coffee beans and brewing in a French press, however when I did this I ran out of energy much quicker. I had to brew copious amounts and it just didn't seem practical, it got tiresome and wasteful.

So, I switched back to the Kirkland cans.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Get a nespresso machine for the ultimate combination of taste and convenience. The pods it uses are a bit expensive but off-brand pods can be found for reasonable prices if you want. Costco rotates Peets/Starbucks pods. K-cups are trash, but these are good, and they have a recycling program since pods are made of aluminum.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Covid actually pushed me into that. The local costco took out their grinder for a bit (I dunno if it's back, a lot of their other stuff is though so maybe?) so I ended up grabbing a cheap little grinder off amazon.

I'm sure it's awful. I grew up around enough coffee snobs to understand that the grind is probably hosed up and that it's all kinds of sub optimal.

But yeah, still better than having it ground in the store. Good enough to put in my drip pot and enjoy in the morning.

Honestly when it comes to coffee, you don't have to listen to everything the coffee snobs say. The biggest improvement you can make to your coffee is getting good, quality beans and grinding them yourself fresh. Even a lovely grind will be heaps better than pre-ground. As long as you grind your own beans, you can ignore the rest and you're still going to have a kickass cup of coffee. I bet you most of those snobs can't pass a blind taste test for things like rinsing the coffee filter and the temperature of the water. But it's clear as day if you're using inferior beans.

I'm actually drinking this right now.

And I have a bag of this ready to go since the other bag is about empty.

I'm very satisfied with the Costco bulk coffee. It's not the best coffee I've ever head, but it's much more affordable and easy enough to get.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Call me bougie, but I loved Starbucks via coffee. Tasted way better than office coffee and all you need is hot water to make it happen. Kinda high caffeine so I only did half a pack every morning. Haven't seen it at church since the pandemic :(

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Can someone link me to the post that spawned the thread title?

Also, has a higher price been announced? I just took communion a couple weeks ago and it was still a buck fifty.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
WRT the time investment.

The goon coffee thread reccomends the clever coffee dripper so I grabbed one at the beginning of the pandemic when my french press broke. Not counting time to heat up your water, it's 90 seconds of brewing and ~30 seconds to let it drip. Dump the filter, rinse it out with water, and you're done. I'm never going back to a french press.

Including the time it takes to heat up the water (which is when I grind my beans), it takes me an average of 7 minutes to make a cup of coffee. Most of that 7 minutes is spent waiting so I'm usually making breakfast or something at the same time.

I'm no coffee snob, I'm just a big believer in getting the most bang for your buck. Taking that extra step with your coffee is not as much work as people make it out to be, and in return you get an incredible jump in quality. Good coffee when I start work makes my day just a little bit better.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Gatts posted:

I agree, the k cups are poo poo. And wasteful. I moved away from them

On the other hand I bought 8oz of Hawaiian Kona coffee for $65 so welp I know little about coffee

The one advantage out here in the middle of the ocean is that I get those for 20 bucks.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

therobit posted:

Can someone link me to the post that spawned the thread title?

Its just like 5 pages back. You should already be walking every aisle and reading every page.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Costco had these tikka masala with cauliflower rice bowls ONE time that I went and I miss them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

It kind of is. Wash the carafe and grounds every day, refill water, prepare new grounds.

I can understand going with the simple approach to coffee cause I don't mind cheap stale stuff, but why would you get the pods which are much more expensive if you're gonna go this route.

I will drink yuban or w/e at home, work, idgaf it all tastes okay enough it's fine. I can appreciate good coffee and occasionally go out to a local cafe with the mrs as a cheap getting out of the house date (not since covid obv) but the cups I just don't get at all. It feels like the "comrpromise" that only exists in the heads of people who won't drink folgers for image issues. It doesn't matter how good the coffee was before it got put into one of those pods, by the time it's been ground, sat on a warehouse shelf, shipped, sat on a grocery store shelf, bought, sat on your shelf, it's just as lovely as the cheapest ground coffee you can buy.

I do drink pods at work cause they're free, but regardless of the brand they are mediocre and sometimes when even in a small office multiple people are jonesin for a cup it sucks that it's not just a pot of coffee.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kirkland hard seltzer is great.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

I bet you air fry it too, don'tca? :baby:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Costco used to carry these two packs of Starbucks concentrated cold brew. I'd use those with some mocha mix, a banana and some peanut butter/protein powder for a nice breakfast smoothie.
So of course after I try it, they never carry those packs again.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Kirkland hard seltzer is great.

They've had it right at the front door last few times I've been. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Costco cold brew with the Jaguar or whatever cat on the can was so good. Cases of those got me through multiple conferences before COVID.