Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The living ship runs on a completely different resource set- hyperdrive eats chromatic metal, pulse drive eats silver or gold, launch thrusters eat oxygen I think.

The quest to get them is kinda tedious with enforced wait times, but it has its moments

Plus you pilot them from sitting in a gross flesh cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Are we all not gross flesh caves?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Are we all not gross flesh caves?

I thought I found an awesome crashed living ship, but then I realized my monitor was turned off

Semirelated, during one of (the first of?) those forced wait sections, I decided to sit down and grind out at least the first 10 galaxy swaps so that I could just have my gear broken once and then come back to those galaxies later for proper loving around

turns out moving to a new galaxy, at least doing the galactic center galaxy route, will just 100% increase the number of "Active Void Egg"s in your inventory by one every single time

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hashtag nofilter

as an aside, if you ever find yourself on a planet with a burrowing mass of tentacles, be very careful with where you throw creature pellets.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

80,000 pure ferrite sounds like a good amount to start building out an actual base with, as opposed to a refinery with a portal. And if not, at least there will be as much again tomorrow.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

80,000 pure ferrite sounds like a good amount to start building out an actual base with, as opposed to a refinery with a portal. And if not, at least there will be as much again tomorrow.

True, that's about the amount of pure ferrite my space tower project has eaten so far (then I stopped to prevent burn out) and depending on how tall that tower has to get to actually reach space, it'll probably eat at least the same amount again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Libluini posted:

True, that's about the amount of pure ferrite my space tower project has eaten so far (then I stopped to prevent burn out) and depending on how tall that tower has to get to actually reach space, it'll probably eat at least the same amount again.

You'll get there! Just don't trap yourself on the top floor and create a door to escape only to discover you're in vacuum :v:

I've noticed that diminishing returns hits pretty hard at hotspots, even with only like 14 or 15 extractors, but I've seen some screenshots with what looks like a few dozen sitting on one spot. Is there a realistic limit after which you should just stop bothering to add more?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

I've noticed that diminishing returns hits pretty hard at hotspots, even with only like 14 or 15 extractors, but I've seen some screenshots with what looks like a few dozen sitting on one spot. Is there a realistic limit after which you should just stop bothering to add more?

It hits like a sledgehammer. Most of my C-ranked hotspots had ~5x10 towers, which were pulling in ~3700-3800/hour. This used to be over 10k. My ridiculous S-rank hotspot with ~100 extractors was 6200/hour down from like 42k or something. Anecdotally I'd say the sweet spot is 4k/hour after which you should either hook up a second hotspot or just give up.

I'd have more data but my game broke so welp. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Good to know, thanks. I'm probably not going to bother going nuts with mineral and gas extraction as long as I'm getting enough for my needs plus a comfy passive income, but I'm going to see just how much juice I can squeeze out of an S rank power hotspot and whether or not I can even use that much without hitting the base complexity limit.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Oh cool, I managed to fix it. Flicked base building restrictions back on, deleted 33 extractors and associated wirings. It still required rewiring but meh. I've got some weird rear end findings, though.

A-class Activated Indium hotspot, 3x12 towers, 420/450/470 hourly ratings on towers. This is just due to wacky placement, but the important thing is that they're all relatively close in expected performance and the deviation per extractor isn't massive.

3 extractors: 1397/hr
4 extractors: 1852/hr
6 extractors: 2585/hr
12 extractors: 3182/hr
24 extractors: 3920/hr
36 extractors: 4430/hr

With all 36 hooked up the ground floor 420/450/470 extractors became 120/170/120 (don't ask me how) value. I'll see how this plays out with the other two hotspots in range, since I think one is a B and the other is C, but it gives an idea of how steep the cuts are and makes it doubly important to go super tall on the highest value point in order to squeeze as much as you can. It's a shame I couldn't see what my 23-tall tower on the center of the hotspot could have generated.

I also have some wacky ideas for bridging bases but that'll have to wait until I have more time.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

got this game a few days ago seems pretty good so far, coop with a friend has been seamless

i enjoy this automatically generated name

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alright so i can confirm that plants grow back but no idea about mineral deposits. I found this amazing planet that was like 80% water and discovered the wonderful economy of underwater building which sucks rear end. Why the gently caress can i build a sub before i can fuel the loving thing? I'm swimming in nanites and normal cash because it's hard to find new S class ships and trying to find a better multitool is absurd.

Why didn't they build a bigger silo structure that fits on the circular prefabs? I normally use them for solar and battery farms topped off with a biodome but instead of building hundreds of ugly silos i could just add a few levels of silo prefabs. Literally the only thing stopping me from building multiple extractors is the fact that i'd have to build insane amounts of ugly silos.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't normally pay attention to RNG multi-tool names while I'm checking to see if any stations happen to be selling an S class. But "Kiss of Tongues" definitely stood out as an... idiosyncratic one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

I also have some wacky ideas for bridging bases but that'll have to wait until I have more time.

I came upon a realization like 10 minutes before writing this: The soft cap appears to be based on the storage network.

I have 2 seperate nodes linked together into one storage network, with the storage for one running through the other. I was getting a lot less than I had expected for 2 distinct nodes-- barely more than I was getting with one elsewhere-- so on a whim I disconnected the storage line running past the node in the middle. With the nodes linked together, one extractor in one node was generating about 180; simply disconnecting the storage line to the second node kicked that up to 240.

So on a second hunch, since all my stacks are linked vertically and then to each other and the full storage network at the bottom, I disconnected the stacks' storage from each other-- suddenly the bottom extractor on each of the individual 3 stacks was hitting 360+. So your new "meta" might just be to have "stacks" of 3-4 extractors, slightly offset to make sure they're not touching each other (since that seems to magically cause their storage networks to merge even without pipes), put an air gap above that with a platform, and repeat for as many individual storage networks as you feel like dealing with, and you won't even need to care about finding multiple hotspots.

This is a bad thing to find out at 11pm, but I'm going to go play with this regardless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Went back to my old leaky creaky first indium mine, 16 extractors

Before:

After: Network 1 and 2

Didn't even really need to change that much since I had built the storage in 2 distinct stages, just ripped down the extractors and re-placed them with a physical barrier

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hmm. I think you're right.
I have a similar set up to you with 2 activated indium sites feeding into one central storage area. As soon as I cut the supply pipe from one side the extraction on individual extractors went up.
I'm going to redesign my site to have the supply depots by the extractors now and just have one depot for each site in the centre to collect from.

Good find!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For additional shits and giggles, disconnecting them into single stacks of 4:

7520/hr vs 3172/hr just from changing how it's stored is pretty loving hilarious

e: I would put cash on the theory that this applies to electrical networks as well, so if your base's power consumption is high it may be worth splitting the power grid

e2: It looks like 7 is the magic number of extractors where you're still getting 100% output-
8 is 92% of the maximum per extractor
9 is 85%
10 is 80%
11 is 76%
12 is 72%
13 is 69% which is where I stopped because who cares, don't make storage networks with more than 7 extractors in them

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 8, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Arghy posted:

I'm swimming in nanites and normal cash because it's hard to find new S class ships and trying to find a better multitool is absurd.

Just go shopping for what you want. If you're not into online ordering and are more into window shopping, that's covered too.

quote:

instead of building hundreds of ugly silos i could just add a few levels of silo prefabs. Literally the only thing stopping me from building multiple extractors is the fact that i'd have to build insane amounts of ugly silos.

Previously I'd have said that eventually this would happen - we'd get more costly Large Extractor blueprints combined with Bulk Storage Depot at some point in the future just to cut down on people hitting the build limit. This last patch showed they really, really don't want you turning extraction into money so you're kind of stuck there.

Edit:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

7520/hr vs 3172/hr just from changing how it's stored is pretty loving hilarious

e: I would put cash on the theory that this applies to electrical networks as well, so if your base's power consumption is high it may be worth splitting the power grid

Holy poo poo nice find! I just noticed this an hour ago when I hooked up my second farm to a network with an activated Indium farm already present. A brand new 1x24 stack was worth roughly 600/hr and I couldn't figure out wtf. Split it and that duplicated what you saw. So Activated Indium is back on the menu. The big problem is collection. Time to delete this base, go back to my S-rank deposit, and redesign it for multi-tiered collection.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 8, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Started playing this after first playing in 2016; I enjoyed it back then, but it is a remarkably better game now.

Got my first freighter last night. Just happened upon a battle, and afterwards when I got hailed by the captain, I was thinking, "How cool would it be if they just gave me the freighter? That seems like it's far too generous for this game though."

And then they gave me the freighter. :v:

At least one thing hasn't changed since 2016; this game is god-drat beautiful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone gets a free freighter as part of the introduction story. :-)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

Everyone gets a free freighter as part of the introduction story. :-)

Oh I figured that out, it was just funny to me how I thought they wouldn't, and then they did anyway. It's a refreshingly nice and chill gameplay experience, even on survival difficulty.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

e2: It looks like 7 is the magic number of extractors where you're still getting 100% output-
8 is 92% of the maximum per extractor
9 is 85%
10 is 80%
11 is 76%
12 is 72%
13 is 69% which is where I stopped because who cares, don't make storage networks with more than 7 extractors in them

So yeah, I just deleted the storage node connecting two hotspots in my somewhat modest AI farm and overall production immediately shot up by 30%. I guess I can live with having to click a couple of times as long as each series of tubes still ends next to my portal.

Is there a special type of hyperdrive module you have to use with freighters now? I remember back in the day you could use the same ones that work with ships and it isn't letting me. With all six constructed hyperdrive upgrades installed on my S class freighter it's only getting 3040 ly, which is way less than the 5777 mentioned earlier in the thread.

And maybe this is an obscure bug, but I bought the large room foundation strut parts and they don't exist in my build menu with the other foundation parts. Even if I pin the recipe it doesn't highlight a menu path unlike any other base part. I was hoping to stick one under a landing pad to keep trees from regrowing through it and I don't think any other parts will attach directly to the bottom of a landing pad.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

old-player question: now that starship and freighter inventory sizes can be upgraded, is there a difference in maximum possible inventory sizes? like, can a tiny freighter and a capital ship still reach the same max with enough bulkheads?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Started playing this after first playing in 2016; I enjoyed it back then, but it is a remarkably better game now.

Got my first freighter last night. Just happened upon a battle, and afterwards when I got hailed by the captain, I was thinking, "How cool would it be if they just gave me the freighter? That seems like it's far too generous for this game though."

And then they gave me the freighter. :v:

At least one thing hasn't changed since 2016; this game is god-drat beautiful.

Oh dang, I don't think I've seen this model before. It's petty cool.

I like my freighter but I only recently found out there's huge star destroyer looking ones and I want one so bad :negative:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Not sure if it still works like this, but it used to be that if you refuse your first free freighter, the next space battle you warp into (every 5 warps) will be a Capital class and will still be free.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really really wish you could upgrade the freighter you have. The whole 'keep reloading to get a class S' thing can be a brutal grind that makes people (like me) stop playing. I know that an A or B is fine for everything you want to do, but I just can't help it knowing that I could be getting something better.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh dang, I don't think I've seen this model before. It's petty cool.

I like my freighter but I only recently found out there's huge star destroyer looking ones and I want one so bad :negative:

My only regret with having a star destroyer is that I later jumped into a system with a star destroyer that had a giant loving spoiler mounted behind the control tower. I couldn't really justify having to reload who knows how make times to make it an S so I could swap it with mine, though

Also note that while there's a freighter fight every five jumps, there's also a minimum of three hours before you'll get another. The type of freighter is determined by the system, so once you know you're due for one you can do a manual save, use the free explore map to warp to a system, and reload to jump to a different system if you don't like the freighter model that shows up.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I took my first freighter which was a really short yellow 'A' class.
Not my first choice but I really didnt feel like grinding.
I think I only found 2 storage upgrades so far and am at 34 storage.

I have been looking at switching to a visually larger one but none of them have the storage my old one has.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Can you turn down a freighter and still get a free one? I saved one already and it was a C class so i took some minerals instead thinking that when i do accept it will be free next time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Muscle Tracer posted:

old-player question: now that starship and freighter inventory sizes can be upgraded, is there a difference in maximum possible inventory sizes? like, can a tiny freighter and a capital ship still reach the same max with enough bulkheads?

Mostly no- maximum inventory/tech size is 100% tied to class now, which means your S-rank exotic guppy can automatically have a 48+21 inventory if you have enough money or augments to dump into the ship upgrade station. Your C rank fighter that you really like the look of would be capped at (probably something like) 30+6, but since you can upgrade ship class now that's only a question of if you want to grind out the nanites to get it up to S.

Freighters, on the other hand, can't have their class upgraded, so the only way to get 48+21 is to get an S-class capital ship. I don't actually know if the max inventory on capital vs. non-capital is different, I think it is but I don't remember if I actually tried to dump bulkhead upgrades into the non-capital ship that I accidentally got initially.

Arghy posted:

Can you turn down a freighter and still get a free one? I saved one already and it was a C class so i took some minerals instead thinking that when i do accept it will be free next time.

As long as you don't have a freighter to exchange, the first one you get from a combat situation will be free. If you, say, trip across a random non-capital freighter and say "oh poo poo it's S-rank, I can't pass that up" and buy it outright, you won't be able to get any free freighter after that point (ask me how I know this :shepface:)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2020

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The whole ship breakdown is so weird, i got an S class hauler that was 32+4 and was like i guess this is the best? I then found an A class explorer that was 38+8 and i've seen C class haulers with 40 inventory so i'm guessing poo poo's just random. I really wish there was a ship lot because it's so loving stressful checking every goddamn ship that lands hoping that you'll get to a good one when it lands before it leaves.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just make money, buy ships, and scrap them for inventory upgrade module thingees. Or you can rescue them from distress signals and make money in the process.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

When I first started and had no cash, the super tiny adorable shuttles were everywhere. Now that I have the means to buy one, can't find poo poo.

I just want a tiny little box to fly around and fix my frigates with :negative:

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So if I get the storage/mining talk right from earlier.... if I have an activated iridium hotspot, I should put groups of 7 mineral extractors linked on separate storage networks?

So, if I had 14 extractors on the same spot I should link 7 and 7, and have each of those feeding their own supply depots?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mostly no- maximum inventory/tech size is 100% tied to class now, which means your S-rank exotic guppy can automatically have a 48+21 inventory if you have enough money or augments to dump into the ship upgrade station. Your C rank fighter that you really like the look of would be capped at (probably something like) 30+6, but since you can upgrade ship class now that's only a question of if you want to grind out the nanites to get it up to S.

Freighters, on the other hand, can't have their class upgraded, so the only way to get 48+21 is to get an S-class capital ship. I don't actually know if the max inventory on capital vs. non-capital is different, I think it is but I don't remember if I actually tried to dump bulkhead upgrades into the non-capital ship that I accidentally got initially.

To be honest, you don't really need an S-class capital ship. I now have an A-class star destroyer type freighter, and since I can upgrade the already large (approx. 35 + 15, from memories) inventory, I can't see myself ever upgrading to another freighter again. Also if you build your storage cube thingies into your freighter, your freighter inventory is suddenly (normal freighter inventory) + 10 x 20. With 200 slots added in tabs just like that, suddenly freighter inventory becomes a lot less needed.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I wandered my way into one of those ball shaped S-Class ships that didn't need a ton of materials I didn't have already last night (the worst were the Quantum Computers and Magnetic Resonators), it was a sweet little score and got me to set up my first mineral farm...turns out, the amount of effort that goes into finding and mining activated copper doesn't really give that much of an advantage over regular copper when refining so I was probably better off just mining a node with the beam.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

How far beyond the initial large room on the freighter can you expand? There are all types of rooms and corridor pieces and stairs available but I've only dropped a few storage unit rooms in my freighter thus far.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Douchebag posted:

How far beyond the initial large room on the freighter can you expand? There are all types of rooms and corridor pieces and stairs available but I've only dropped a few storage unit rooms in my freighter thus far.

It's supposedly 21x21 and can go several floors upwards from the floor with the bridge. But that's so much space.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

The whole ship breakdown is so weird, i got an S class hauler that was 32+4 and was like i guess this is the best? I then found an A class explorer that was 38+8 and i've seen C class haulers with 40 inventory so i'm guessing poo poo's just random. I really wish there was a ship lot because it's so loving stressful checking every goddamn ship that lands hoping that you'll get to a good one when it lands before it leaves.

As someone who started playing, like, 2 weeks ago, it's really interesting seeing the weird mish-mash of QOL features and the anachronisms left over from what those QOL features were obviously there to address. You can get "high quality" crafting goods...but the recipes for them were removed entirely, so you can't craft them or (apparently) deconstruct them into component parts, so they're literally worse than junk and only good for dumping on the nearest vendor. Haulers still have the class "advantage" of inventory space, but you can upgrade literally any escape-pod sized shuttle to 48 slots so the entire point of that advantage is blown away out of the gate. Etc, etc.

I will say, for ship hunting, I've found a really good way to keep an eye on everything is:
- Find a trade depot
- Drop a base computer
- Find or create a nearby high spot
- Drop a short range teleporter on the roof of the trade depot (despite the "no power" icon, short range teleporters don't need power to function anymore)
- Watch the ships, use your visor to read the class/inventory size (if you care about the latter) of any interesting ships flying in and out
- If you see a good one just teleport over and snag it

People recommend "sitting on the roof of the trade depot" the entire time but since you can't see every docking space at the same time that way, eh.

Libluini posted:

To be honest, you don't really need an S-class capital ship. I now have an A-class star destroyer type freighter, and since I can upgrade the already large (approx. 35 + 15, from memories) inventory, I can't see myself ever upgrading to another freighter again. Also if you build your storage cube thingies into your freighter, your freighter inventory is suddenly (normal freighter inventory) + 10 x 20. With 200 slots added in tabs just like that, suddenly freighter inventory becomes a lot less needed.

The difference between an A class and an S class is "6 more inventory slots you can access/craft out of at any time"-- storage boxes are nice but still require your freighter in-system (not always guaranteed, also you can't summon from inside stations/the anomaly), are finicky to interact with if you want any sort of sorting, and aren't treated as "something you have access to" for any crafting or upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

Also re: this original thing, I tried to do something with it but despite the game allowing you to hook up storage networks across base boundary lines, it doesn't actually work to move contents across them, so the best you could probably do is set up two adjacent bases and build the "hub" of one right at the boundary line between them. That said, the game def. lets you set up a second base very, very close to the 1000u maximum build distance of another base (possibly even inside of it?) so I'd probably manually make sure you're putting 2ku distance between your base computers to make sure the game doesn't start getting confused about where one base ends and the other starts.