Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fawning deference posted:

I thought Murray was bad, but it's interesting that he's actually good just constantly hurt according to SAS. He's a fun one year gamble on a team badly in need of reliable skating defensemen.

My dad, brother, and I went to a Caps/CBJ game just before the Johansen/Jones deal and, during the first, Ovechkin had the puck one on one with Murray. Ovie had half a step on him but Murray did a hell of a job of riding him off the puck and taking away a scoring chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MognzYcDDYY&t=30s

Porty said going into the postseason that, if healthy, the CBJ had three potentially elite defensemen on their blue line- Jones, Werenski, and Murray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
give me blue jackets patrick laine, or give me death

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Big Leg posted:

Oh that would be a glorious disaster.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Laine probably requires Werenski going the other way which, given Z's talent and the combination of Murray and Nutivaara having been shipped out, is probably a non-starter.

I want Johnny Hockey. Dude looked up to Cam Atkinson, so he'd have incentive to want to come here.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fawning deference posted:

I had no idea he was good at all. Wasn't he drafted as an otherworldly skater and offensive D?
No. Even in juniors he was pretty mediocre offensively. You might be thinking of the similarly named Ryan Murphy, who was a fairly high draft pick a year earlier and a huge bust

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Big Leg posted:

I feel like Laine would get sick of Torts early on and demand a trade not even halfway through the season.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Big Leg posted:

mods!?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Laine and Torts would be oil and water to a hysterical degree and part of me badly wants to see it

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Kilza posted:

I feel like Laine would get sick of Torts early on and demand a trade not even halfway through the season.

i have it on good authority that Laine secretly loves blocking shots and just needs the right coach to encourage him

:grin:

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Laine probably requires Werenski going the other way which, given Z's talent and the combination of Murray and Nutivaara having been shipped out, is probably a non-starter.

I want Johnny Hockey. Dude looked up to Cam Atkinson, so he'd have incentive to want to come here.

I can't imagine what sort of package it would take from Columbus to get Gaudreau.

Sounds like the Flames talked to Columbus about one of the goalies earlier, but that fell apart. Bjorkstrand is another logical target.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trade Johnny to Columbus so he can play with his hero, Cam Atkinson

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

TeamJesus posted:

I can't imagine what sort of package it would take from Columbus to get Gaudreau.

Sounds like the Flames talked to Columbus about one of the goalies earlier, but that fell apart. Bjorkstrand is another logical target.

The Athletic suggested a goalie and RHD (which would have to be Savard at this point) could start the bidding.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Trade Johnny to Columbus so he can play with his hero, Cam Atkinson

Maybe "looked up to" was too strong, I guess I was just basing their connection off this from the Worlds a couple years ago:

quote:

"The number is pretty special for both of us. We went to Boston College. He's probably the reason I wore No. 13. He was wearing 13 before I went there. It's a pretty special number for us. I would've let us both wear 13 if we could've. It's just the way it goes, I guess."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spring Break My Heart posted:

No. Even in juniors he was pretty mediocre offensively. You might be thinking of the similarly named Ryan Murphy, who was a fairly high draft pick a year earlier and a huge bust

That's it. Ryan Murphy

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1314404771348901889

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
If Josh Anderson is worth the risk of a 5.5 AAV / 7 year deal to the Habs they should be sending an atomic bomb of an offer sheet for Dubois. Maybe that's what Columbus is clearing out salary in anticipation of rather than a big free agent signing.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

this would be fantastic imo as long as they don't send too much to Vegas in exchange

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Players making what Stastny makes are practically free this offseason.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Stastny looked really good playing with Laine and Ehlers when the Jets went on that run to the wcf, love the trade for em even if he’s old

Of course, Laine is probably getting traded now

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/CoachBombayy/status/1314401187915952129?s=19

Goodnight offseason thread, turn on your notifications for Bob and Friedman. I expect pandemonium at Noon.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1314428065229938688?s=20

i cant handle this

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

If Kole Lind is the best prospect included and they get rid of Sutter then Benning is GM of the year

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Dirty Burger posted:

If Kole Lind is the best prospect included and they get rid of Sutter then Benning is GM of the year

oh my god if they shed virtanen OR sutter it's a win

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Guys I have a rumour, your favourite team is going to acquire another team's best player in exchange for some garbage prospect and your worst overpaid trash to balance the cap hits. Don't forget to click like and subscribe.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

eXXon posted:

Jeff Finger, a defenseman, got $3.5Mx4y after a 19-point season and it was one of the worst contracts signed by a particularly dismal Leafs' management group headed by a then-73-year-old Cliff Fletcher.

Who could forget “Jeff Finger money”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Who could forget “Jeff Finger money”

Perhaps the most tragic epilogue to that tale being the speculation that they'd actually meant to sign Kurt Sauer

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The good old David Clarkson special. Nice job Bergevin.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1314539902692884482

Man negotiating hockey contracts sure seems easy

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I guess Bergevin working remote makes him shift to full on EA Sports GM mode

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He was willing to sign a one year deal? Why not sign him to that? He's had one good season in his career, if ever there was a "show me" candidate it's him. Is Bergevin expecting a JT Miller like explosion from him?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

He was willing to sign a one year deal? Why not sign him to that? He's had one good season in his career, if ever there was a "show me" candidate it's him. Is Bergevin expecting a JT Miller like explosion from him?

JT Miller was at least a consistent 45-50 point player before hitting 72 this year...which the jump is reasonably in line with the increased minutes and PP time.

Edit: Miller had 4 years of 45+ seasons before Van traded for him. Anderson has one lol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine he used Tom Wilson as a contract comparable but even so, signing guys off injury years has not worked out, historically.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1314563278065094657

Wayne and Milan on the same line please

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1314549376497389569

Micah, thank you

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/1314568097844596737?s=21

This is a really good deal for a team desperate for a 2C, I assume Vegas is clearing space for Pietrangelo?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

My body is ready for Kyle Dubas to sign Josh Leivo and only Josh Leivo on the first day of FA

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Are we just using this thread for free agency or is there going to be a GDT?

Also Lundqvist is going to sign in DC for 1 year $1.5M per Bobby Mac.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I wonder who JR is going to give too much money and term to this year

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I wonder who JR is going to give too much money and term to this year

Ceci/Alzner

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Vegas has to be the favorite for Pietrangelo after trading Stastny, right? The low taxes, location, and the fact that they have contended for the cup every year of their existence all seem pretty nice to a pending UFA

Also on the subject of taxes, it’s depressing to think how much these millionaires get taxed compared to billionaires lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

if taxes were as big a consideration as The Hockey Internet seems to think it is then Florida, Nashville, and Arizona would be constantly loaded with big name FAs

E: I don't doubt it's a consideration to some degree but if anyone thinks it's the big one then hoo boy I've got some bad news

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 9, 2020