Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I agree with everything above except that I don’t really find Daniher “likeable”. Happy to see the back of him. Saad not so much but it’s completely understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/melbournefc/status/1314326134809456645

:love::love::love::siren::siren::siren::love::love::love:
:love::love::love::siren::siren::siren::love::love::love:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
more IP theft

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Cool, hopefully we can be just as successful as Essendon in surrounding ourselves with former players

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

realbez posted:

more IP theft

Secrets of the Yz...e

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

realbez posted:

more IP theft
I mean sure if he wants to pass on the Hawks game plan from the last couple of years to the Dees...

Still one of the coolest surnames in footy.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Saints bad.

Refs worse.

Butler’s pretty good though.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I think the umpiring has the been the worst, but the Saints still pretty putrid.

Also, loving Cotchin is a lock to play neck week the dirty prick.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

yeah missing those two set shots is just....ugh.

Lynch won't cop anything from that either will he.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
this may be the most frustrating game i've ever watched

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Haven't seen any of the game but I am shocked and surprised to hear that Lynch and Cotchin are playing like dirty pricks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

harperdc posted:

yeah missing those two set shots is just....ugh.

Lynch won't cop anything from that either will he.

Tigers are a protected species so nope

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm now a man of modest dreams: Not the Tigers for the flag, and for Tom Lynch to falcon himself off the point post at some stage.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ah well, we exceeded expectations for this year and we're finally heading in the right direction. Bring on 2021!

(gently caress Richmond)

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Lol, I got temporarily suspended from Twitter for commenting on a friend's post that I wished that Geary had ripped Lynch's head off in that final quarter there. What a joke.

Frustrating game, we tried to play a similar style of high risk football but just could not convert to stay with Richmond. Still, the future is looking pretty bright right now which is nice for a change.

REALLY hoping for a Port/Lions grand final now, would be a great neutral GF that one.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

boy undead posted:

this may be the most frustrating game i've ever watched

I was surprised watching that match how much it felt exactly like watching a Crows match :smith:

Play after play ruined by just loving up at the most crucial moment, while the opposition just seem to stroll in towards goal with the greatest of ease. And when they do occasionally manage to fluke a goalscoring opportunity, they miss.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 9, 2020

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

gently caress Richmond is all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cotchin has to go for that tackle; grabbing someone around the neck and slinging them across your hip? I've seen intentionally dangerous looking wrestling moves that are less likely to injure someone.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill posted:

Cotchin has to go for that tackle; grabbing someone around the neck and slinging them across your hip? I've seen intentionally dangerous looking wrestling moves that are less likely to injure someone.

“iTs A cOnTaCt SpOrT” - Richmond fans

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

thepokey posted:

“iTs A cOnTaCt SpOrT” - Richmond fans

"The fact of the matter it's a big boys' game. Things happen and players will always play hard and tough and there is a reason we are into our third or fourth prelim in a row," - actual Damien Hardwick quote :barf:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looking forward to Mitch Robinson 'big boys gaming' Cotchin's head into the ground so hard he fails the concussion test at the first bounce of the grand final

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to Mitch Robinson 'big boys gaming' Cotchin's head into the ground so hard he fails the concussion test at the first bounce of the grand final

Just let Robbo DDT Cotchin, it's just a high tackle what's the problem?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The problem I have with "It's a big boys contact sport" stuff is related more to what Lynch did.

Sure you can expect some bruises, and the occasional accidental neck and above contact. (I am NOT IN ANY WAY condoning Cotchin slinging Jones by the neck. That was a horrible thing, and needless as well, as the ump had blown the whistle for a high contact the second before.)

But Lynch intentionally kneeling on a blokes neck whilst he is on the ground is not part of the rough and tumble of a contact sport. It is a coward inflicting pain and injury on a helpless victim.

Yet both will get away with it. Bastards.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

But Lynch intentionally kneeling on a blokes neck whilst he is on the ground is not part of the rough and tumble of a contact sport. It is a coward inflicting pain and injury on a helpless victim.

Just like:

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1290589985456832514

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

The AFL itself set precedence last week with Ben Long, the potential for injury has to be taken into account. Jones could have a broken neck, ripped neck muscles, serious concussion etc.. from that tackle which was actually out of play. Should be two weeks.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

legit question, not trying to start poo poo, why do you guys dislike the tigers so much? i'm richmond myself so obviously some level of bias, but i did miss out years and years of afl cos i grew up and studied overseas and only came back to see my team win their first premiership. i understand hating tom lynch cos he's a dirty player but why do people dislike the club so much?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

amenbrotep posted:

legit question, not trying to start poo poo, why do you guys dislike the tigers so much? i'm richmond myself so obviously some level of bias, but i did miss out years and years of afl cos i grew up and studied overseas and only came back to see my team win their first premiership. i understand hating tom lynch cos he's a dirty player but why do people dislike the club so much?

I'm going to refrain from typing a whole _thing_ here, but I will say that the unwarranted aggression were complaining about here doesn't begin and end with Tom Lynch.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Some dirty and whiny players + coach (Cotch, Lynch, Riewoldt, Vlaustin) and we naturally cop more for being top dog the last few years. Apparently our fans are the worst but I think that's probably just a numbers thing, every team has poo poo fans.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

monolithburger posted:

I'm going to refrain from typing a whole _thing_ here, but I will say that the unwarranted aggression were complaining about here doesn't begin and end with Tom Lynch.

in the sense that there's a club wide culture of supporting dirty play to win? go ahead and type if you wish cos basically i came back to Australia to see my team win a granny after 30 odd years, which from my pov is insane cos the last Richmond game I saw before the 17 grand final was something like 17-150 in 2006 -ish and then I moved back and tuned in halfway thru the 17 grand final so i'm pretty out of date.

ofc there's been games since i've seen with dirty poo poo from dusty etc but it's never seemed to me like the tigers were a dirty team overall (bias etc) when you see Toby Greene fly kicking people and not seeing a suspension in other matches. the only afl news I saw from maybe ten to fifteen years was the essendon drug thing. I guess the main thing that surprises me is the idea of Richmond fans as bogan thugs or w/e which wasn't something I ever saw when I lived in aus as a kid, or at least never noticed

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

monolithburger posted:

i guess my point is I'd actually really like to read this if you want to write it cos i honestly dont notice it as something specific to the tigers when I watch a game, and given i've missed out on a lot of afl history I feel a tad left out. ofc if theres an article written or maybe a post you've made before just give me a heads up so i can find and read it, but by and large all i can find on google are hagiographies about dustin martin's long and outstretched arm

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I also think Collingwood and Richmond are just historically the most reviled sides, maybe Essendon too.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

amenbrotep posted:

i guess my point is I'd actually really like to read this if you want to write it cos i honestly dont notice it as something specific to the tigers when I watch a game, and given i've missed out on a lot of afl history I feel a tad left out. ofc if theres an article written or maybe a post you've made before just give me a heads up so i can find and read it, but by and large all i can find on google are hagiographies about dustin martin's long and outstretched arm

Sorry, I don't think I could really write anything objective given it was my team who lost last night. Just getting my salt out here.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

snoremac posted:

I also think Collingwood and Richmond are just historically the most reviled sides, maybe Essendon too.

that's part of why i ask, my default reaction to seeing the sentiment was to jump to Geelong and Collingwood fans being just as bad when I go to games. ofc that is a dumb response so I'm curious

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

snoremac posted:

Some dirty and whiny players + coach (Cotch, Lynch, Riewoldt, Vlaustin) and we naturally cop more for being top dog the last few years. Apparently our fans are the worst but I think that's probably just a numbers thing, every team has poo poo fans.

I agree that all teams have poo poo fans, but im pretty sure that vicpol put extra cops on duty when richmond play because their fans are extra poo poo.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Look at that, Cotchin not even cited for his tackle while Lynch will cop a fine for misconduct. 750 dollars literally means loving nothing to a multi-millionaire, just loving ban him for a match so he actually faces a consequence even if it is minor.

https://twitter.com/beet_gordon/status/1314508443508568067

This poo poo is why people hate Richmond. Cotchin grabbed a guy around the neck and dropped him onto his hip aka the hardest part of the human body. That has more likelihood to injure someone than Long with his bump. Long deserved to go because he made no attempt to tackle and caught Macrae high, Cotchin grabbed Jones after play had stopped and did that poo poo.
Meanwhile Lynch has had four misconduct charges this season and he's still doing the same grubby cuntish things that he's been doing all season.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 10, 2020

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

amenbrotep posted:

Theres always going to be a factor of hating on the top dog, same thing happened with Hawthorn a few years back, but Richmond has a history of a lot of dirty players who just do not get pulled up on the poo poo they do.

Cotchin genuinely deserves a week for that tackle and Lynch constantly punches/knees opponents off the ball but no one here honestly believes they will get any sort of sanction at all due to being protected by the AFL who prefers "strong spectacles" with high earning teams over integrity.

This kind of stuff permeates the rest of the club as well and just makes a lot of the players really unlikable by the general football world.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I'm probably missing some things but:

- Lynch punching guys like 4 times this season with no suspensions
- Cotchin headlock tackle this week, will probably get no suspension
- Grimes obvious staging, gets cited then overturned on appeal
- Riewoldt, Grimes, Martin also striking players throughout the season
- Hardwick responding to any criticism of the above behaviour with "This is a hard game, we'll play on the edge, etc..." while simultaneously
- Complaining about how hard done they are by the umpires (Even though they get very favourable results at the tribunal)
- Hardwick denouncing online abuse to his players (good), then insulting David Schwartz for crying (gently caress off)
- Hardwick feigning ignorance of his players groping each other, and running away when questioned about it
- Coleman-Jones and Stack breaching covid protocols

Richmond were a fairly likeable team back when they won in 2017, but the success has obviously gone to their heads and they've become incredibly arrogant and entitled. The players are using dirtier tactics, expecting favourable umpire treatment, and Hardwick has gone full Clarkson.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Weird Sandwich posted:

I'm probably missing some things but:

- Lynch punching guys like 4 times this season with no suspensions
- Cotchin headlock tackle this week, will probably get no suspension
- Grimes obvious staging, gets cited then overturned on appeal
- Riewoldt, Grimes, Martin also striking players throughout the season
- Hardwick responding to any criticism of the above behaviour with "This is a hard game, we'll play on the edge, etc..." while simultaneously
- Complaining about how hard done they are by the umpires (Even though they get very favourable results at the tribunal)
- Hardwick denouncing online abuse to his players (good), then insulting David Schwartz for crying (gently caress off)
- Hardwick feigning ignorance of his players groping each other, and running away when questioned about it
- Coleman-Jones and Stack breaching covid protocols

Richmond were a fairly likeable team back when they won in 2017, but the success has obviously gone to their heads and they've become incredibly arrogant and entitled. The players are using dirtier tactics, expecting favourable umpire treatment, and Hardwick has gone full Clarkson.

I don't know how I forgot about the groping, and the David Schwartz thing. loving hell.

Also, racking up $150,000 in COVID breach fines and choosing not to field a VFLW team in 2021 for financial reasons.

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would also argue, (and my brother and my niece are richmond fans, so naturally are the exceptions to this rule), that it's not about the feral nature of the fans but the insanity and one-eyed nature of them.

Richmond fans, pre premiership, had the reputation of being insane, and from my experience, were always the first to turn on their own, and turn hard and viciously. Also, they had more than 30 years of being poo poo, and then came good. Not good, but great and dominating. So these insane fans with a tendency to turn fast and hard 180, now have success. And as such are one eyed monsters, where Richmond can do nothing wrong, all their players are saints who are better players than everyone else, but also that every mistake is a monstrous tragedy, and a tragedy inflicted on them by everyone else.

True, you will find fans of all the other clubs that do everything I said in the paragraph above. But Richmond fans seem to do it more, and worse.

Except of course for my brother and his daughter. They are lovely people.