Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mod/IK question. I’m an IK in Cycle Asylum and one of the couple things you can do as an IK is edit other peoples posts.

I constantly accidentally hit edit instead of quote on people’s posts. The problem with that is when I cancel out of the edit screen and hit quote it just brings me back to the edit screen and the only options I get are “cancel” or “save”

The only way to fix this and be able to quote that post is to completely kill the app and go back in

So two things:

1) could the quote and edit buttons be separated a bit more (or can we have an option to move them for those that are super used to the layout)?

2) is there a way around that edit/quote problem that I’m not seeing?

I can provide screenshots if needed

This has been a problem for awhile so I'ma finally try something :) Next version should be an improvement. If you're not on the beta and wanna give it a whirl, check the link in the OP.

For now, if you delete all text in the post and then tap Cancel, it'll forget about whatever edit was in progress.

St_Ides posted:

I just recently got an iPad, I'd been on Kindle Fires for the last few years. This is a good app, but I have a few minor things.

Is there a way to log in to YouTube so the embedded videos won't have ads?

Is there a way to save videos that aren't YouTube?

You aren't missing anything, there's no way to do either of those at the moment.

YouTube login I can look into, but historically they haven't been super friendly to third-party, well, anything so I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Saving videos is on the list, now with a +1.

shortspecialbus posted:

Theoretically if you're logged into the regular YouTube app, wouldn't that cover you here? Or maybe youtube in Safari and/or Chrome? I don't actually know how that even ends up in the webview.

These are all separate. If you could log in via a web view in Awful, then that should carry over to the rest of Awful's web views.

We also currently fetch YouTube embeds from youtube-nocookie which I'm guessing would have some implication.

(These things didn't all used to be so separate, so if anyone has memories of this working some years ago, that could be why.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

astral posted:

3D browsing was removed a while back. Feel free to also remove it from the app. :)

Done!

Maybe next year 3D will be here to stay.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I’m weird and I tend to read threads backwards. It would be great to have an “auto scroll to end” option that does so when navigating to the previous page of a thread with the < button.

Even better would be if it could just start at the bottom of the page without scrolling!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

pokeyman posted:

Done!

Maybe next year 3D will be here to stay.

gently caress that, we need a VR viewing mode to replace it. This google cardboard needs some use anyway.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

Re: when it triggers, yep. I'll try going to a different thread rather than doing a round trip to settings the next time it happens.

Confirmed- switching threads also fixes it

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 28, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

experienceBeej posted:

Weird share sheet interaction.

iOS 14
Awful v 4.11
iPhone XR

When I try to share an image from the forums through the Share Sheet to Slack, it doesn’t dismiss the Share Sheet after sharing. It dismisses just fine if it’s being shared to Discord or Messages, though.

Also, sharing URLs works fine. Do a long press on a URL, select “Share URL”, select Slack, and post - everything dismisses properly.

And I can’t interact with the Share Sheet after that, either. It’s like it locks it in place and doesn’t accept any taps. The Share Sheet looks a little weird near the bottom of the screen too - like a thick grey bar.

I end up having to swipe up and close the app fully (not just go to Home Screen), then open it again.

Previously, whenever I had issues like this, I could swipe up or down on the sheet, and it would “come forward” (it would get bigger, as if it was initially sitting further away from the screen and the swipe would make it move towards me). Then I could dismiss it manually.

I don’t know if this is an Awful thing, or some way that the Slack share sheet item is broken. I have screenshots but I never post pics on SA, so I have no idea how to do it properly here.

Having this same issue

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
Just saw in the update that the stickers are removed but the keyboard is still supported. Is there an explanation as to why?

I personally, and some of my friends, really liked the stickers and never had a problem with functionality but the keyboard is kind of rear end- I don’t mean that in an insulting way because for a while it was all I could use other than copy pasting from a url.

Is there a plan to make the keyboard better or is phasing the stickers out the first step in removing the feature entirely?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dr. Shithead posted:

Just saw in the update that the stickers are removed but the keyboard is still supported. Is there an explanation as to why?

I personally, and some of my friends, really liked the stickers and never had a problem with functionality but the keyboard is kind of rear end- I don’t mean that in an insulting way because for a while it was all I could use other than copy pasting from a url.

Is there a plan to make the keyboard better or is phasing the stickers out the first step in removing the feature entirely?

Sorry about that. Something changed or broke with the sticker pack configuration that was preventing me from submitting updates to the App Store. I couldn't figure out how to fix it and I wanted to go to bed, so the quickest solution was to rip it out. (Possibly meaningless explanation: Xcode refused to generate a provisioning profile for it, and I couldn't add the sticker pack as an app identifier because it was already taken (gee I wonder who took it, maybe it was me?), so I couldn't manually create a provisioning profile for it, and by this point I lost all will to fight.)

I do have vague plans to improve the keyboard, as I totally agree it's a barely usable mess. And I'd like to make a proper iMessage app so it can update itself, instead of being stuck with a static list of stickers I never remember to update.

If I don't make any progress soon with the above, I'll figure out what the hell happened with the sticker pack and bring it back :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Do the images in the Leper's Colony not affect that app cache at all? I looked at it today and there were tons of images there and when I went to clear my cache it said there was 0mb there to clear. Where do they go?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nowhere, they're just in memory until they're disposed of by the table view.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

carry on then posted:

Nowhere, they're just in memory until they're disposed of by the table view.

Okay, cool, that's good to know. Thanks!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Any way to turn off the save draft prompt when backing out of writing a post? It's a bit cumbersome, at least for the way I make posts

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
every time i open awful now from any other app i get a notification that awful pasted from (app)

say i’m on instagram and i move back to awful. it’ll say “pasted from instagram”

i assume this is part of the code that will work to let you open threads from the browser inside awful simply by opening it.

not a big deal or anything as it doesn’t affect anything but thought it was worth mentioning. Still in love with this app!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

star eater posted:

every time i open awful now from any other app i get a notification that awful pasted from (app)

say i’m on instagram and i move back to awful. it’ll say “pasted from instagram”

i assume this is part of the code that will work to let you open threads from the browser inside awful simply by opening it.

not a big deal or anything as it doesn’t affect anything but thought it was worth mentioning. Still in love with this app!!

Yep that's what's happening. There is a toggle for Check Clipboard for URL in settings if you never use the feature and want to get rid of the notifications.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Clicking through from a rap sheet or quote is still bringing up the unread posts in the thread instead of taking me to the correct post- but only in bookmarked threads. If I’ve read the thread but not bookmarked it it’s working as normal.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Sorry. Just wanted to test this.

Edit: hmmmmm has anyone tweaked the Apple shortcut Imgur to text to work with gifs?

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 4, 2020

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?

pokeyman posted:

Sorry about that. Something changed or broke with the sticker pack configuration that was preventing me from submitting updates to the App Store. I couldn't figure out how to fix it and I wanted to go to bed, so the quickest solution was to rip it out. (Possibly meaningless explanation: Xcode refused to generate a provisioning profile for it, and I couldn't add the sticker pack as an app identifier because it was already taken (gee I wonder who took it, maybe it was me?), so I couldn't manually create a provisioning profile for it, and by this point I lost all will to fight.)

I do have vague plans to improve the keyboard, as I totally agree it's a barely usable mess. And I'd like to make a proper iMessage app so it can update itself, instead of being stuck with a static list of stickers I never remember to update.

If I don't make any progress soon with the above, I'll figure out what the hell happened with the sticker pack and bring it back :)

No need to apologize, was just curious if it was gone for good or just something happened that was temporary. Definitely don’t lose any sleep over it because the app is incredible even with the inevitable idiosyncrasies. If I knew anything about app programming/design I’d be more helpful but still would like to offer my support/help for sicker implementation or updating. Happy to compile or whatever dumb tedious task you might need that would make it easier for you to get them bad boys back up- either way thank you so much for making this app and continuing to work on it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey all of a sudden whenever I click on a linked tweet in a thread it will automatically open a safari page of Twitter rather than going directly to the app like it used to. I’ve checked and the app is up to date. To my knowledge I didn’t change anything else about the awful app or Twitter- any ideas on why this is happening?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did you get logged out mysteriously at some point? It might have lost your settings, so check that the use-Twitter-app one is appropriately set.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The save draft / delete option on replies is very cool, thanks whoever did the legwork on that.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Trying to ignore posters through the app just gives me an error that homeless friend is a moderator and this cannot be ignored, which would make sense if the people I was ignoring were them :thunk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Trying to ignore posters through the app just gives me an error that homeless friend is a moderator and this cannot be ignored, which would make sense if the people I was ignoring were them :thunk:

This is a problem with the site, instead of appending to the existing list it discards it and then adds all the names again to a new list, and if one of your existing ignored names has become site staff since you added them you can’t make any changes to your ignore list until you remove the site staff from your list.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Midjack posted:

This is a problem with the site, instead of appending to the existing list it discards it and then adds all the names again to a new list, and if one of your existing ignored names has become site staff since you added them you can’t make any changes to your ignore list until you remove the site staff from your list.

You can add people without editing the list (the button in user profiles works like this) but radium removed the function that directly removes someone from lists. :iiam:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Midjack posted:

Lmao amazing coding. Thank you for the fix though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

astral posted:

You can add people without editing the list (the button in user profiles works like this) but radium removed the function that directly removes someone from lists. :iiam:

Thanks for the correction!

And lol radium.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Subjunctive posted:

Did you get logged out mysteriously at some point? It might have lost your settings, so check that the use-Twitter-app one is appropriately set.

No I’m logged in on Twitter. I don’t know what the issue is but it’s not SA, it is everything for Twitter now. Linking to Twitter used to automatically bring open the app, now it just goes to safari and the prompt to open the app on the page directs me to the App Store! Fun

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

teacup posted:

No I’m logged in on Twitter. I don’t know what the issue is but it’s not SA, it is everything for Twitter now. Linking to Twitter used to automatically bring open the app, now it just goes to safari and the prompt to open the app on the page directs me to the App Store! Fun

This happens to me periodically and it switches back on its own after a few days. I can’t make heads or tails if it but it sucks poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah it's purely an iOS thing and outside of our control. Safari used to show a banner that offered to open a site in the app that would re-establish the behavior but that doesn't happen anymore.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teacup posted:

Hey all of a sudden whenever I click on a linked tweet in a thread it will automatically open a safari page of Twitter rather than going directly to the app like it used to. I’ve checked and the app is up to date. To my knowledge I didn’t change anything else about the awful app or Twitter- any ideas on why this is happening?

Not that this is directly a fix but Opener is really useful for situations like this. I end up using it multiple times a day usually.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
"Removed Lowtax" better be in the next update notes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

16-bit RDRAM posted:

"Removed Lowtax" better be in the next update notes

Surprisingly, we don't mention Lowtax anywhere in the code, just some HTML pages saved for use in tests.

roach coach
Feb 24, 2013

pokeyman posted:

my man

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

SALR now properly highlights supermods or whatever, I don't think they're highlighted properly in Awful.app yet. Is that on the list?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

shortspecialbus posted:

SALR now properly highlights supermods or whatever, I don't think they're highlighted properly in Awful.app yet. Is that on the list?

I don't think so. Do you have an example user so we can see what kind of markup they have?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

carry on then posted:

I don't think so. Do you have an example user so we can see what kind of markup they have?

Astral for one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943455#post508809493 for example.

Shows up as "Super Moderator" in SALR and gets appropriate coloring/highlighting, although I don't know how or why. Shows up as a normal user in Awful. Not a huge deal but it'd be nice!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Note: I am not a real supermod, but the presence of that role-supermod class should be sufficient for your detection.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

astral posted:

Note: I am not a real supermod, but the presence of that role-supermod class should be sufficient for your detection.

Stop bucking all the rules, son

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

astral posted:

Is there a standard icon for supermods? I don't think we distinguish staff any other way than the icon so it'll have to be done via an icon unless we revamp the way we display that info.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

Is there a standard icon for supermods? I don't think we distinguish staff any other way than the icon so it'll have to be done via an icon unless we revamp the way we display that info.

Yeah, Kirby colored star - you can see it when you showpost a supermod post since that view does not yet support custom icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

astral posted:

Yeah, Kirby colored star - you can see it when you showpost a supermod post since that view does not yet support custom icons.

Dumb question, how do I showpost? I don't have platinum if it requires that.