Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Gryi posted:

I think this is a common occurrence, could somebody please confirm?

Just looking to get into the sport, so I went to my local Trek shop. Test rode several and decided I absolutely love full suspension, but it was out of my budget. They said they were clearing out past model years and had a 2020 Slash 8 for 2000 bucks, about half price (3800 retail).

Looking online, even used, I can't seem to beat this deal, except for bikes direct... but it's still bothering me that I could spend 2K and end up not liking it.

I did however take a fully rigid with knobby tires verrrrry slowly through our local double blacks and had a blast.

Is a year old model half price how they typically clear them out? Thanks in advance.

Clearing out a 2020 Slash for half price is nuts in COVID times and you should jump on that. Even if you don't like MTBing after all you can probably flip it for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
It's typical, though usually you don't see a discount that steep until later in the off-season. Is it a weird size or something? Or a demo?

That seems like a Good Bike for a steal. I would advise not over thinking it if you're new to the sport. If it's the generally the right size and you've got full suspension worthy stuff to ride, go for it. It'll take a lot of experience to really understand the how the exact minutia of travel and geometry across different bikes corresponds to what you need. If you're new, you dunno what you need - other than you need a bike.

Wait, what color is it? This is key.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

I was considering riding tomorrow in a race that I signed up for 1 loving day before my wife tested positive for the 'rona on Tuesday. I know it's not smart but the start is displaced and you can go on the course whenever you want within the window. Thankfully the rains from the latest tropical storm are drenching the course and I'd rather donate $50 to my favorite trails than spend hundreds more for repairs - or worse, injuries. I'm still not 100% after my fall 2 weeks ago, but I think I could have finished the 46.5ish miles.

Stay safe out there, live to ride another day!

Sounds like you might still be considering racing but please don’t. Signed, everyone else. In fact, quarantine with your wife.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Nah, it rained all night and I'm not getting hurt again 2 weeks after falling and bending a rotor. I'm currently watching megamind with my toddler and playing with little plastic hockey players.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

Nah, it rained all night and I'm not getting hurt again 2 weeks after falling and bending a rotor. I'm currently watching megamind with my toddler and playing with little plastic hockey players.

Not sure getting why racing today was a bad idea. If you’re considering dinner at a restaurant tonight, maybe don’t do that too.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yeah, please quarantine. You're almost certainly a carrier. It's not about injury or weather, your priority should be not giving that poo poo to others. There's no way a race can be made transmission-proof, people behind you will be literally riding through your breath cloud. A displaced start is security theater.

Ditto for dinner et al, just stay home.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
JFC I said I'm not leaving, chill. The event is over in a couple of hours.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

Clearing out a 2020 Slash for half price is nuts in COVID times and you should jump on that. Even if you don't like MTBing after all you can probably flip it for more.

Agree with this here. 50% off is kind of a lot for last years bikes in normal times (I think you usually see more of the 20-30% unless it was an odd bike or odd size).

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

Mexican Radio posted:

It's typical, though usually you don't see a discount that steep until later in the off-season. Is it a weird size or something? Or a demo?

That seems like a Good Bike for a steal. I would advise not over thinking it if you're new to the sport. If it's the generally the right size and you've got full suspension worthy stuff to ride, go for it. It'll take a lot of experience to really understand the how the exact minutia of travel and geometry across different bikes corresponds to what you need. If you're new, you dunno what you need - other than you need a bike.

Wait, what color is it? This is key.

It's got a few very minor scratches, and It's the dark shiny purple. *swoon*

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gryi posted:

Please tell me you live in my area and are riding double blacks on a fully rigid so that I can sponsor you out of my own pocket for world cups 2021.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

vikingstrike posted:

Do you have previous experience riding bikes? New to the sport and riding double black trails fully rigid is loving impressive (assuming this means the same thing to both of us). If you stick with it you’ll probably want a FS bike to be able to carry more speed on those trails.

3mi at walking speed on climbs, then getting off and walking past any significant drops on the descents... I guess I meant more "explore and feel it out".

A road biker in a previous life just for commuting...

Sorry, I'm a noob!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I would buy that bike and I know nothing about it. If it's too much, sell it for a profit and buy something else.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I went for a short ride since my big crash and destroying my leg 2 saturdays back. Went pretty well I guess (PRed a climb...). I am a little sore but feeling like I will be back for the tail end of fall riding before skinning season gets going.

Nocheez posted:

I would buy that bike and I know nothing about it. If it's too much, sell it for a profit and buy something else.

Agreed. sounds like it was a demo (minor scratches) but that still is a great price.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What is the best option for frame protection? I have narrowed it down to using helicopter tape or one of the kits but thought I would ask ..

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

What is the best option for frame protection? I have narrowed it down to using helicopter tape or one of the kits but thought I would ask ..

I used a kit from invisiframe. Short of getting pros to wrap your bike it's the best option, they have custom kits for even different sizes of the same frame. It took at least 3 hours for me to do and I still notice some errors with it so make sure you give yourself lots of time if you go down this route. It's held up extremely well!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Helicopter tape lasts for thousands of miles with bikepacking bags rubbing. Gets my vote.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ropes4u posted:

I’ve wrapped two bikes with RideWrap and been happy. Helped wrap another bike and I think that one turned out fine too. Just long and tedious to do.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
If you’re willing to invest the time and energy, RideWrap.

vikingstrike posted:

I’ve wrapped two bikes with RideWrap and been happy. Helped wrap another bike and I think that one turned out fine too. Just long and tedious to do.

I am the “another bike” in this post and it turned out great and also vikingstrike is a saint.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

Gryi posted:

this is the correct color :hmmyes:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
After seeing yet another video on how to mount cushcores, I decided I'd take another stab at unmounting my setup (Bontrager Line rim, 2.3 DHF). After an hour of spraying soapy water at the hook and pressing with all my might into the bead, the only progress I'd made was budging the bead a few mm and severely fraying the edge of it. Worse, there were permanent stretches to the sidewall from all my unsuccessful poking:

That pushed me over the edge to:

kimbo305 posted:

I am Kurtz, mad in the jungle. I am Immortan Joe, mourning a perfectly symmetrical stillbirth.

I hope no one here ever needs to know the sensation of cutting through a fresh tire's sidewall, or of slicing through the kevlar bead strand by strand until it pops loose.

Ultimately, the obstacle was the really tall ramp/backstop on the proprietary plastic Bontrager rim strip. Best pic I could find of it:

Between the height of that wall and my caution levering against the carbon rim, I could never budge the bead over. I honestly thought about sanding the ramps down some to make the next uninstall easier.

At this point, I threw on a 2.4 Dissector, which took maybe 4 min. Easier than I remember of the DHF, but when I tried to pop the bead off to preview installing the cushcore XC, it still didn't come off with some effort. The bead slid up to the ramp easily, but I still couldn't move it up and over with some cautious tire levering.

Hopefully with some riding, the bead will loosen up a tad more. I also need the time to heal all the bruising on my palm from forcing the tire lever.
Anyways, the Dissector without cushcore feels a lot lighter, which is good. The knobs are definitely a step down in size from the DHF, but I'll be fine.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

F

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pour one out for my riding the rest of the year.

:rip:

OTB on the bottom tabletop at Bryce on Saturday. Broke right collar and ring fingat, left wrist. I'm told it was an epic crash by the folks who saw it.

Most importantly, the bike is fine. Helmet is done though.

Thanks helmut you did good.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
drat, that sucks! Get better soon.

I definitely made the right choice not to ride, and not just the public health reasons. Lots of crashes occurred on the wooden bridges, they were very slick and there's no chicken wire or anything on them for traction. A few people broke bikes and others broke bones. I'm glad I wasn't able to ride, I'm pretty sure I'd be one of the casualties right now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ouch, that looks rough. :( They have to plate that, right? Can't see how else they'd deal with "bone floating in space" otherwise. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Id planned to take it easy and roll everything but that bottom launcher is deceptively aggressive so i was a bit too fast, caught air in bad position and got launched otb into my face and shoulder. At least no concussion and lower body and torso are fine. Medical was surprised i was so lucid after a slam that hard.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

poo poo sorry to see it man. Glad you're otherwise alright.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That'll do, pig.

Get well soon!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Boogalo posted:

Id planned to take it easy and roll everything but that bottom launcher is deceptively aggressive so i was a bit too fast, caught air in bad position and got launched otb into my face and shoulder. At least no concussion and lower body and torso are fine. Medical was surprised i was so lucid after a slam that hard.

Jesus dude. Really happy you’re “ok” for the most part. Hope you have a smooth and quick recovery

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Boogalo posted:

drat. Glad to hear things aren't worse. Don't know where you are in the area but I have a good ortho I would recommend in Bethesda. PM me if you'd like the name. Hope the recovery process goes well.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

VacaGrande posted:

drat. Glad to hear things aren't worse. Don't know where you are in the area but I have a good ortho I would recommend in Bethesda. PM me if you'd like the name. Hope the recovery process goes well.

Thanks for the offer. I'm down in Charlottesville and fortunately my mom is in the field and very well connected so i got in to see someone good this morning and have surgery scheduled for Thursday already. Prognosis is good. 6 weeks or so for wrist cast, shoulder will be much more mobile in a week or so but sling for 6 weeks too. Finger is a simple splint

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

My quest for a fun budget hardtail came to a glorious end this morning with a Honzo ST.

Bought it from a seriously cool dude in Denver who had built it up from a frame, it now has a 140mm Pike, the recent XT 12 speed groupset and brakes, DT Swiss 350/stans flow mk3 wheelset, and a bike yoke revive dropper. It's also got some carbon bars that I will likely replace at some point. Jesus christ this thing is so loving fun, and I definitely realize now that I've never had a mountain bike with enough/good enough brakes for me.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

My quest for a fun budget hardtail came to a glorious end this morning with a Honzo ST.

Bought it from a seriously cool dude in Denver who had built it up from a frame, it now has a 140mm Pike, the recent XT 12 speed groupset and brakes, DT Swiss 350/stans flow mk3 wheelset, and a bike yoke revive dropper. It's also got some carbon bars that I will likely replace at some point. Jesus christ this thing is so loving fun, and I definitely realize now that I've never had a mountain bike with enough/good enough brakes for me.

That's a fantastic build, great find.

Boogalo posted:

Thanks for the offer. I'm down in Charlottesville and fortunately my mom is in the field and very well connected so i got in to see someone good this morning and have surgery scheduled for Thursday already. Prognosis is good. 6 weeks or so for wrist cast, shoulder will be much more mobile in a week or so but sling for 6 weeks too. Finger is a simple splint

Good deal, heal up quick!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boogalo posted:

That’s really good considering the circumstances. Heal quick!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

That sucks hard but at least you'll be healed up in time for fatbike season (get a fatbike).

Nocheez posted:

drat, that sucks! Get better soon.

I definitely made the right choice not to ride, and not just the public health reasons. Lots of crashes occurred on the wooden bridges, they were very slick and there's no chicken wire or anything on them for traction. A few people broke bikes and others broke bones. I'm glad I wasn't able to ride, I'm pretty sure I'd be one of the casualties right now.

Anything wood, be it a root or a man made structure, is so incredibly sketchy when wet I avoid em at all costs. When I went out riding those trails I checked out last week everything was just damp enough I didn't bother riding any of it because I'm normally pretty poo poo on a mountain bike as is and the last thing I wanted to do was auger in deep in the woods with no support.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 12, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

EvilJoven posted:

That sucks hard but at least you'll be healed up in time for fatbike season (get a fatbike).

Anything wood, be it a root or a man made structure, is so incredibly sketchy when wet I avoid em at all costs. When I went out riding those trails I checked out last week everything was just damp enough I didn't bother riding any of it because I'm normally pretty poo poo on a mountain bike as is and the last thing I wanted to do was auger in deep in the woods with no support.

Conditions at Bryce were actually perfect. Overcast mid-low 70's and bone dry while it was raining in the rest of the state.

I already almost have a fatbike, running 27.5x2.8. :D

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

I already almost have a fatbike, running 27.5x2.8. :D

Git yer skinny rear end tires off the snow. Fat bike my arse. Your tires need to be at least an inch wider!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

EvilJoven posted:

Git yer skinny rear end tires off the snow. Fat bike my arse. Your tires need to be at least an inch wider!

I wish it fkin snowed around here anymore. Used to get 6-12 inches 3-6 times a year but for the last 10 years or so we're lucky to get 3" once and a 3 foot dumping every 5 years or so.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boogalo posted:

Sorry to hear this man. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Having surgery to plate and pin the bone will really help with comfort, I felt 1000% better after surgery. 6 weeks in a sling sounds about right from my broken collar bone experience. I started stationary bike riding at about 6 weeks, really slow, the bones were still healing and if I pushed at all I felt sick. About that time was when PT started. At 10 weeks I felt good enough to do some light skinning (didn't really ski downhill though). I started riding my bike to work again at 12 weeks. Mountain biking at about 16 weeks (but it was ski season still so I wasn't in a rush).

I also got my plate and pins out 6 months later. I am still pretty happy about this (I did it all in 1 calendar year though so I got the removal surgery for free).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

I wish it fkin snowed around here anymore. Used to get 6-12 inches 3-6 times a year but for the last 10 years or so we're lucky to get 3" once and a 3 foot dumping every 5 years or so.

Heal up and Ill trade ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I started stationary bike riding at about 6 weeks, really slow,

Isn't that just how you ride bikes?

Also, Ruby this week?