Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

No one denies atrocities against Armenians and no one cheers for the Azeri government. No one posts "Azeri Strong" or "Go Azerbaijan!" Honestly its hard for most of the thread to hide their boners when Azeri soldiers get mulched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zedhe Khoja posted:

No one denies atrocities against Armenians and no one cheers for the Azeri government. No one posts "Azeri Strong" or "Go Azerbaijan!" Honestly its hard for most of the thread to hide their boners when Azeri soldiers get mulched.

Eh, it comes up a lot, too much in fact, and does seem to be building toward a narrative of forgiving Azerbaijan for future ethnic cleansing because “the Armenians did it first”.

(Azerbaijan is a Western proxy and Armenia is a Russian ally do it isn’t hard to see.)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This thread is pretty pro-Armenia, but c-spam rally isn't reflective of what most people are hearing and reading.

the wider Western media is building to support Azerbaijan no matter what, and there's money pouring in to reinforce that stance.

quote:

Meanwhile, Azerbaijan has ramped up its public relations campaign, employing not one but six of K Street’s heavy-hitting firms, including the Livingston Group, Stellar Jay Communications, BGR, the Podesta Group, and DLA Piper. Last year the country spent $1.3 million on lobbying.

Armenia traditionally lobbies through American community groups, and has just one firm working for them, Alston and Bird. The contract was signed September 16, so it’s unclear how much money they will spend petitioning Washington this year, but documents reveal they haven’t spent any money lobbying since 2016.

Azerbaijan, on the other hand, lobbies in much the same manner as a Gulf State—though with considerably less resources—and has a long history of extensive lobbying efforts.

In an attempt “to whitewash its dictatorial image…the autocratic government of Ilham Aliyev has unleashed spin-doctors, duped reporters, and led one of the most brazen pushes to abuse American lobbying loopholes of any foreign government,” wrote Casey Michel in 2016.

For years, lobbyists on the dime of Azerbaijan have met with universities, think tanks, and members of Congress. They’ve arranged the placement of favorable op-eds in outlets like The Hill, the Washington Times, the Daily Caller, National Review, the Washington Post, and the New York Times. These articles were initially published without disclosing the authors’ financial ties to Azerbaijan.

While oil-rich Azerbaijan’s lobbying slowed after 2016 due to the collapse of its currency, Foreign Agent Registration Act (FARA) documents reveal a flurry of recent activity aimed at convincing Washington elites that Armenia is the aggressor and that the U.S. should favor Azerbaijan in the conflict.

When American lobbying and public relations firms are hired by foreign countries, they are legally required to register their clients with the Justice Department under FARA. They are also required to provide a list of the activities they undertake on behalf of the foreign country.

Azerbaijan’s hired K Street guns are distributing what are euphemistically referred to in FARA documents as “informational materials.” These materials could be more accurately described as propaganda. The documents distributed on Capitol Hill highlight Armenia’s “provocative actions,” its “illegal” role in the conflict, that Armenia allegedly “kills Azerbaijani civilians, including children,” and how “Armenia’s leaders have been actively undermining the ongoing peace process.”

The documents lobbyists distribute on Capitol Hill make some incredulous claims: that “Armenia has long been involved with Middle Eastern terrorism,” that “Azerbaijan has been consistent in urging substantive and result-oriented negotiations in order to achieve a breakthrough in the conflict,” and that “Turkey is not directly involved and is not a party to the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict.”
Meanwhile, some of Azerbaijan’s paid propagandists from years past are writing op-eds without disclosing their conflicts of interest. Brenda Shaffer, whose piece previously received an editor’s note and clarification from both The Washington Post and The New York Times, is now writing on the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict for the think tank Foundation for the Defense of Democracies.

Shaffer had failed to disclose to the New York Times that she had been an adviser to Azerbaijan’s state-run oil company. No disclosure exists on her latest FDD piece, even though it is about how the “Armenia-Azerbaijan Conflict Poses Threat to European Energy Security” and Shaffer is FDD’s senior advisor for energy.
Shaffer’s piece is hardly neutral, describing the conflict as having begun “following the Soviet breakup, when Armenia invaded neighboring Azerbaijan, captured close to 20 percent of its territory, and turned almost a million Azerbaijanis into refugees.”

https://www.theamericanconservative...PcTjZ5dTuSzWNPE
yeah the american conservative is bonkers with it's domestic coverage, but it's decent when covering stuff connected to US foreign policy

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Let's expand it to 30 years. What's this... Azeris? Ethnically cleansed... hang on, looking into it a little bit more... Nagorno-Karabakh? Wait a sec!

Username post combo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

my genious nuanced take is that this is dumb nationalism on both sides being exploited by regional powers to play out their various proxy conflicts, and the only genuine bad guy here is Mikhail Gorbachev for not killing all the nationalists in 1987 and saving the USSR. if the armenians and azeris were smart they would hold hands and together drop a scud on his dacha.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

my genious nuanced take is that this is dumb nationalism on both sides being exploited by regional powers to play out their various proxy conflicts, and the only genuine bad guy here is Mikhail Gorbachev for not killing all the nationalists in 1987 and saving the USSR. if the armenians and azeris were smart they would hold hands and together drop a scud on his dacha.

the guy from the pizza hut commercial?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

given what we’ve learned about scud accuracy they better drop at least a dozen

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Gorby's solution was to remove the Armenians from NK

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Spergin Morlock posted:

the guy from the pizza hut commercial?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't think this guy wanted to save the USSR

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Azerbaijan makes its case to pro-Israel Americans
https://asiatimes.com/2020/10/azerbaijan-makes-its-case-to-pro-israel-americans/

quote:

Azerbaijani Ambassador to the US Elin Suleymanov alluded to 9/11 conspiracy theories and warned that Internet trolls may be trying to “push Armenian propaganda under Jewish names” in an appeal to a pro-Israel group on Thursday.
“Azerbaijan is not necessarily that different from the United States or Israel,” Suleymanov said. “If you look at the region, Azerbaijan is very clearly aligned with the Christian countries, and with the State of Israel, and with others, while Armenia is behaving in a totally different way.”
“These kinds of allegation are similar to the allegations that Americans committed 9/11 against themselves,” he said. “And, by the way, there’s more videos, more evidence, and more serious [sic] about that than about what happens in Azerbaijan.”

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Atrocious Joe posted:

This thread is pretty pro-Armenia, but c-spam rally isn't reflective of what most people are hearing and reading.

the wider Western media is building to support Azerbaijan no matter what, and there's money pouring in to reinforce that stance.

yeah the american conservative is bonkers with it's domestic coverage, but it's decent when covering stuff connected to US foreign policy

I don't think most people pay much attention to the Nat Sec ghouls outside of DC, and Armenians have a massive media presence in the states, so on the culture front I expect Armenia to win out. A shame thats entirely meaningless as every blood-dripping vampire at the FDD lusts for Baku oil and they're the ones who actually influence policy.

Not a bad pitch tactic given that Zionists have generally been extraordinarily lovely towards the subject of the Armenian genocide going all the way back to Herzl.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I don't think there's that much international goodwill you can buy with a piddly $1.3m, or even 13m

sum
Nov 15, 2010

They could increase their PR budget 8-fold for the price of a single Israeli suicide drone that they'd otherwise drop on a 50 year old artillery piece.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Not a bad pitch tactic given that Zionists have generally been extraordinarily lovely towards the subject of the Armenian genocide going all the way back to Herzl.

Why were they lovely on that subject? Seems odd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I can see why after the holocaust, but I'd like to read about why they were dismissive before 1945. Is it because the armenian church was big in Jerusalem?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Depending on the source, Herzl was either fully or not-fully aware of what the Ottomans were doing to the Armenians and he sold them out in exchange for Palestinian land

https://www.jpost.com/Blogs/Opinionated/Herzl-The-interesting-character-that-inspired-a-nation-401006

quote:

He lost some respect among other Jewish journalists when he supported the Ottoman cause of destroying Armenian Christians, although it was not clear that he actually knew what was happening to the Armenians at the time, in order to try and gain favor and support from the Sultan to allow Jews to immigrate to Palestine freely. More precisely in 1896, when he visited Sultan Abdul Hamid to try and persuade him to open up Palestine, he did not gain any ground, yet due to his fame as a journalist agreed to provide support for the Sultan in the papers, as he was ravaged by Europe’s press for his deplorable and unspeakable actions in Armenia.
Note that the Hamidian massacres were in 1894-1896

Also,
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2536529?seq=1
https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/herzls-sell-out-of-armenians-1.5357026

Israel purchases oil from Azerbaijan, and Israel has never recognized the Armenian genocide.

Boredumb has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Oct 12, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

After 1948 I can understand. When I was in Israel, nobody will tell you that Roma, gays and communists died in the holocaust. It's real weird

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
You could take it back even further if you wanted to, cuz the Armenians and Jews often filled the same societal niches in the region, with all the competing interests that implies. Trying to rile up their muslim neighbors to take out the heathen competition was pretty common. Solidarity is hard folks.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

i say swears online posted:

I can see why after the holocaust, but I'd like to read about why they were dismissive before 1945. Is it because the armenian church was big in Jerusalem?

i say swears online posted:

After 1948 I can understand. When I was in Israel, nobody will tell you that Roma, gays and communists died in the holocaust. It's real weird

Which still seems super strange, to be honest, it wasn't even the same occasion of genocide where talking too much about other minorities could supposedly "steal your thunder", how would talking about the Armenian genocide diminish the holocaust?

And after the foundation of Israel you could spin it as a cautionary tale of what the evil muslim countries wanted to do to any non-muslim populations, need for an armed nation state, etc. Was it about Israeli-Turkish foreign relations?

On that unhappy topic I wonder how many anti-Semitic conspiracy theories will be repurposed against Armenians; "oh, you wouldn't hear about that in your country, they control the media there"

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Oct 12, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

On that unhappy topic I wonder how many anti-Semitic conspiracy theories will be repurposed against Armenians; "oh, you wouldn't hear about that in your country, they control the media there"

Turkish society is way ahead of you: the Kardashians have been portrayed as brainwashing puppeteers ever since Kim called lahmacun "Armenian pizza".

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Which still seems super strange, to be honest, it wasn't even the same occasion of genocide where talking too much about other minorities could supposedly "steal your thunder", how would talking about the Armenian genocide diminish the holocaust?

This is definitly the case in the US. The ADL actively denied the Armenian genocide until like, 2017. Meanwhile, I remember Armenian groups here saying that focus on the Holocaust "distracted from other genocides" or made "genocide a Jewish problem" which is true to some extent, but I think Holocaust education is a little bit more important in the west considering how anti-semitism is still a thing. The same would be true if Turkey ever reformed, Armenian genocide education would be more important than Holocaust education. I find it pretty unlikely that Europeans or Americans will ever try to massacre Christians again.

Some Armenian-Americans are very conservative, and for them, it might be more of a "globalist" issue too, but I think its not that simple.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Oh, Israel also supports Azeribaijan.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Syncopated posted:

How many ethnic cleansings have there been in the last 20 years actually? Myanmar, what Sri Lanka did to the tamils might count I’m not 100% sure. China, Syria?

the sri lankan civil war is obviously Complicated but there were two parts I'd describe as pretty ethnic-cleansey

the big one was directed specifically at Indian Tamils (aka more recent immigrants as compared to the Tamils who'd been in the country for a buncha generations) and hundreds of thousands of them were deported entirely

the slightly less big one was when the then-president's brother as defense minister (who is now the current president :negative: ) oversaw the end of the civil war by way of obliteration, killing an awful lot of people in the final LTTE holdout areas and, uh, putting a couple hundred thousand in concentration camps walled refugee camps they weren't allowed to leave

also some stuff at various points with encouraging Sinhalese people to move into traditional Tamil areas, and a really messy fight in Jaffna (more or less the northern Tamil capital)

there was never really a concerted effort to wipe out or expel non-Indian Tamils entirely, but you definitely didn't want to be anywhere near the LTTE holdings at any point and were going to be discriminated against in various ways, plus the intermittent spontaneous pogroms

Goatse James Bond has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Oct 12, 2020

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Did anyone save this image BTW?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

A lot of Armenians tend to vote conservative in the US and have been big on Trump before this. The younger American-Armenian diaspora have been raising money and telling people to vote (presumably democrat) and write to Congress since this conflict has broken out.

Some of the partners at DLA Piper, mentioned in the story above lol:
https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/people/e/emhoff-douglas-c/
Douglas C. Emhoff - partner, spouse of Kamala Harris

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/people/s/setrakian-berge/
Berge Setrakian - partner, also the current president of the AGBU, probably the largest Armenian diasporic organization

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Boredumb posted:

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/us/people/s/setrakian-berge/
Berge Setrakian - partner, also the current president of the AGBU, probably the largest Armenian diasporic organization

An Armenian working to push Azerbaijan's talking points shows that a negotiated peace is possible

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Did anyone save this image BTW?
https://twitter.com/Sirloinofice1/status/1313931339268329475?s=19

this but red & chp was stabbing turkey in the back

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://twitter.com/auroraintel/status/1315919838909550592?s=21

there’s not much incentive to mark UAVs very clearly, is there? what happens when 2 countries fight and have the same inventory of drones?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
New Nagorno-Karabakh episode of War Nerd with a native reporter from Artsakh. Its...ok. Interviewee does the usual Artsakh poo poo("we liberated Shushi""its a shame that Nakhchivan is lost to us, but what could have been!") But it contains some good commentary on the international political situation and on the ground experience of someone dealing with Azeri warcrimes.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

New Nagorno-Karabakh episode of War Nerd with a native reporter from Artsakh. Its...ok. Interviewee does the usual Artsakh poo poo("we liberated Shushi""its a shame that Nakhchivan is lost to us, but what could have been!") But it contains some good commentary on the international political situation and on the ground experience of someone dealing with Azeri warcrimes.

I loving hate the inability to understand nuance. You can say Armenia should win this without also saying ethnic cleansing is good

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zedhe Khoja posted:

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1315998250952990722

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

absolutely bracing myself for a terrible interview

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I mean a young person growing up in the sort of cultish environment of a militarized and heavily propagandized siege society is going to come out of that with a certain worldview and strange beliefs. Like she seemed to honestly believe that Nakhichevan had been an Armenian majority territory in the very recent past*, and I don't really blame her for being like that. But Ames and Dolan do seem to take it all at face value even beyond not wanting to be confrontational with a guest whos being currently shelled with artillery. That being said most of the interview is good, but contains little new information for anyone here.

*Although there was quite a bit of genocide going on there this past century

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Oct 13, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I mean a young person growing up in the sort of cultish environment of a militarized and heavily propagandized siege society is going to come out of that with a certain worldview and strange beliefs. Like she seemed to honestly believe that Nakhichevan had been an Armenian majority territory in the very recent past*,

*Although there was quite a bit of genocide going on there this past century

I think its a specifically a thing among diaspora to try to achieve "wilsonian" armenia, since their imagined homeland is now in turkey/west armenia. I've even heard Armenian Americans suggest that the current armenian state is basically not really armenia and wont be until they reclaim the western part.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Nakhchivan was nearly half Armenian until the genocide. I mean it's still irredentism but it's not like the RoC claiming Mongolia or whatever

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

Nakhchivan was nearly half Armenian until the genocide. I mean it's still irredentism but it's not like the RoC claiming Mongolia or whatever

Yeah, but the flip side of that is it was always majority Azerbaijani in the first place, so it is unclear why Armenia would have a claim beyond the usual in the Caucasus. Also, at this point most of Artsakh is vacant, it isn't that Armenians (in general) lack land but people willing to live in it. I doubt you are going to get thousands of Armenians in the LA area to move to Caucasus en masse to hold down the fort.

Honestly, the best-case scenario is the Azerbaijani offensives run out of steam and the frontline stabilizes until an actual cease-fire takes place. There really isn't a "good" scenario otherwise.

(That said, the actual long-term future of both Armenia and Azerbaijan are pretty hazy. Armenia doesn't really have the export base to really be competitive and they really can't detach themselves from Russia. Azerbaijan itself is going to eventually run its wells dry as they push deeper into the Caspian and doesn't really have a back up plan besides some NG exports.)

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
doing x place was y% z ethnicity so therefore it belongs to q state is stupid. No place was ever homogenous

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, but the flip side of that is it was always majority Azerbaijani in the first place, so it is unclear why Armenia would have a claim beyond the usual in the Caucasus. Also, at this point most of Artsakh is vacant, it isn't that Armenians (in general) lack land but people willing to live in it. I doubt you are going to get thousands of Armenians in the LA area to move to Caucasus en masse to hold down the fort.

Honestly, the best-case scenario is the Azerbaijani offensives run out of steam and the frontline stabilizes until an actual cease-fire takes place. There really isn't a "good" scenario otherwise.

(That said, the actual long-term future of both Armenia and Azerbaijan are pretty hazy. Armenia doesn't really have the export base to really be competitive and they really can't detach themselves from Russia. Azerbaijan itself is going to eventually run its wells dry as they push deeper into the Caspian and doesn't really have a back up plan besides some NG exports.)

drat its a shame there can't be one big state that helps maintain these tiny ethnicities while supporting them and providing security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

drat its a shame there can't be one big state that helps maintain these tiny ethnicities while supporting them and providing security.

who needs that when you get pizza hut