Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

Quite. I’m not a big gun person like some of my friends, but I’m pretty much in your shoes ownership wise.

All joking aside i hope this can be sorted out peacefully for you and your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I suppose it's worth noting that fairly often people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is themselves (usually mental illness of some sort.)
This smells like a myth. I’m sure it happens sometimes, but with the socioeconomic inequality in this country I’d be shocked if it was any significant portion of the causes of homelessness.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd hazard a guess homelessness and mental illness are both symptoms of the end result of capitalism.

E: just watched Kung Fu hustle and feel I should have tidied the garage and not wasted my time instead.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Oh, goddammit.
Does no good deed go unpunished?

I suppose it's worth noting that fairly often people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is themselves (usually mental illness of some sort.)

e:f,b.

Ironically being a homeless heroin addict for 9 months before getting sober made me less sympathetic to homeless people.

I have a social science background and I am sympathetic to the mentally ill and it is really hosed up that since Reagan closed the state loony bins the mentally ill are basically forced to live on the street in between short trips to the jail for petty crimes. Truly horrific.

The rest of the homeless (myself included) have other issues going on. I never wanted to hang out with the other homeless people because I realized very quickly that they were trouble.

Of course, during this time I was actively avoiding help because I did not want to quit dope. Once I decided to get clean and got help I realized how many resources there are for people looking to get their life together and since then I figure that the career homeless that aren't completely mentally ill just want to stay homeless. Maybe that's not fair but that was my experience for what it's worth.

I sponsor homeless people in 12 step programs but I would never let one into my home.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Krakkles posted:

This smells like a myth. I’m sure it happens sometimes, but with the socioeconomic inequality in this country I’d be shocked if it was any significant portion of the causes of homelessness.

Inequality, unattainable/unaffordable mental health care, rent inflation, wage stagnation etc etc.

Basically crumbling empire stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Krakkles posted:

https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequences/homeless-mentally-ill.html

quote:

Mental illness is a major contributor to homelessness. In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults (mentioned by 48% of cities). For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top three causes of homelessness. (National Coalition on Homelessness) Lack of treatment for the most seriously mentally ill causes the kind of delusions and bizarre behavior that makes living alone or at home with families untenable. As a result, many become people with untreated serious mental illness become homeless and communities are forced to bear the cost of that.

ETA: Better stats. https://www.bbrfoundation.org/blog/homelessness-and-mental-illness-challenge-our-society

quote:

According to a 2015 assessment by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 564,708 people were homeless on a given night in the United States. At a minimum, 140,000 or 25 percent of these people were seriously mentally ill, and 250,000 or 45 percent had any mental illness. By comparison, a 2016 study found that 4.2 percent of U.S. adults have been diagnosed with a serious mental illness.

Among homeless people, the odds of encountering serious mental illness is much higher than the population at large. Help the homeless all you can, but keep your guard up.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 12, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah my position on the homeless is that we're a rich enough country that we can provide basic services even for the assholes who don't deserve it. Sucks that we're cruel enough as a society to choose not to. We always paint the poor with a broad brush, citing worst case abusers of the system as a reason to not have one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The US isn’t alone there. Here, welfare fraud is estimated to cost NZ$8M per year. Tax evasion is estimated at NZ$1.5B. The team chasing down welfare fraud is easily 10 times the size.

But yeah, for the richest country in the world, you guys got it bad. But at least your army dogs are getting AR goggles!
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54465361

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah my position on the homeless is that we're a rich enough country that we can provide basic services even for the assholes who don't deserve it. Sucks that we're cruel enough as a society to choose not to. We always paint the poor with a broad brush, citing worst case abusers of the system as a reason to not have one.

To go with that, consider the sheer levels of fraud that can actually be accomplished here. If an "undeserving" person somehow scammed their way into free housing for a year, how much monetary damage could they really do? I'm ignoring things like "blew up a city block with a meth lab" because that poo poo happens regardless of who is paying the housing bill.

Compare that to the billion-dollar subsidies that keep showing up at the top of the food chain.

Or look at kids who have school lunch bills. The food is already made, they're either going to serve it to a kid or throw it out, and if the kid can't pay for the food one way or another the answer is apparently "throw it away and have a hungry child".

The system isn't broken, it's operating as designed, and it's designed to be loving evil.

e:f,b in a much more concise way with actual numbers

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Here, welfare fraud is estimated to cost NZ$8M per year. Tax evasion is estimated at NZ$1.5B.

IOwnCalculus posted:

To go with that, consider the sheer levels of fraud that can actually be accomplished here. If an "undeserving" person somehow scammed their way into free housing for a year, how much monetary damage could they really do? I'm ignoring things like "blew up a city block with a meth lab" because that poo poo happens regardless of who is paying the housing bill.

Compare that to the billion-dollar subsidies that keep showing up at the top of the food chain.

Or look at kids who have school lunch bills. The food is already made, they're either going to serve it to a kid or throw it out, and if the kid can't pay for the food one way or another the answer is apparently "throw it away and have a hungry child".

The system isn't broken, it's operating as designed, and it's designed to be loving evil.

e:f,b in a much more concise way with actual numbers

I wish more people could see an understand this. My wife's dad is all Right Wing anti-immigrant, because he does home care for government assisted illness. And, in that job he sees people exploiting the system, with family members that live in the same apartment getting paid by the government to care for the people in the apartment that need care.

Maybe that's an exploit. But they are getting THOUSANDS from the government, where we're throwing BILLIONS at the corporate overlords. And, with the last Covid thing, perhaps close to a TRILLION.

The scale is unimaginable. And, with that, the Right is able to push on what people SEE as bad, instead of what is actually going on.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

meatpimp posted:

And, in that job he sees people exploiting the system, with family members that live in the same apartment getting paid by the government to care for the people in the apartment that need care.

Here, those family care people took the govt to court AND WON. See, if you need full time care, the govt would pay for a professional. Even if you were rich enough to hire a nurse, they’d pay. But they wouldn’t pay for a family member doing the exact same job. So a bunch got together and sued the govt all the way to the High Court and won, from memory it even involved some $150m in back payments.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ugh. "No good deed goes unpunished" is true I guess. That sucks man, hope it all works out for you.

I took in a former coworker who had wound up homeless. Wound up with a concussion, tons of things missing, and trespassed from a couple of stores (1 grocery store + Walmart) because he shoplifted while I was with him. He still tries to reach out to me occasionally to say hi, and I just add that phone # to the list of blocked #s on my phone. I want nothing to do with him ever again. Last I heard he was expecting kid #5, and in Colorado somewhere.

I've been homeless myself, though pretty briefly (only a few months). I never stole anything, I just wanted to do my drugs, and occasionally sleep in the car. Weirdly, getting carjacked was probably one of the best things to happen at the time - I had to get off meth and move in with family, or live on the streets. I chose to move in with family.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 13, 2020

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Hell yeah. The older the car, the better.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Never to old. :justpost:

[I am biased, I want to build a '29 T-Bucket with a 13B]

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Very much interested :justpost:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Reuben Sandwich posted:

I hope to someday update my thread with older. Always post.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Maybe that's an exploit. But they are getting THOUSANDS from the government, where we're throwing BILLIONS at the corporate overlords. And, with the last Covid thing, perhaps close to a TRILLION.

The scale is unimaginable. And, with that, the Right is able to push on what people SEE as bad, instead of what is actually going on.

I think you hit it there - the scale at the top is literally unimaginable. It's easy to look at someone trying to grift at the bottom* and say "it's like they're stealing thousands" because that's something you can comprehend. A billionaire making more billions is just ratcheting an already obscene number up another few steps and they both are incomprehensibly large so what's the difference before and after? So the person next door gets made out to be the villain because you can go yell in their face while the person at the top just keeps on doing their poo poo.

*also really if someone wants to set their standard of living to "I scammed the government out of subsidized housing" then gently caress it that's fine. I will gladly pay my share into making sure that person has housing because there's no good reason that anyone should be homeless for lack of an available place to go. Even if you find welfare fraud at the bottom, you're talking about people who are moving up a tiny bit from between a rock and a hard place.

The person "scamming" food stamps isn't using the money to fuel a hidden fleet of Ferraris. The person paying 37% on their top tax rate instead of 70-90% is doing that, and a whole lot worse

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Always just post.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Here, those family care people took the govt to court AND WON. See, if you need full time care, the govt would pay for a professional. Even if you were rich enough to hire a nurse, they’d pay. But they wouldn’t pay for a family member doing the exact same job. So a bunch got together and sued the govt all the way to the High Court and won, from memory it even involved some $150m in back payments.

Greaaaaattttt.... so we're at least two steps behind. :911:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you hit it there - the scale at the top is literally unimaginable. It's easy to look at someone trying to grift at the bottom* and say "it's like they're stealing thousands" because that's something you can comprehend. A billionaire making more billions is just ratcheting an already obscene number up another few steps and they both are incomprehensibly large so what's the difference before and after? So the person next door gets made out to be the villain because you can go yell in their face while the person at the top just keeps on doing their poo poo.

*also really if someone wants to set their standard of living to "I scammed the government out of subsidized housing" then gently caress it that's fine. I will gladly pay my share into making sure that person has housing because there's no good reason that anyone should be homeless for lack of an available place to go. Even if you find welfare fraud at the bottom, you're talking about people who are moving up a tiny bit from between a rock and a hard place.

The person "scamming" food stamps isn't using the money to fuel a hidden fleet of Ferraris. The person paying 37% on their top tax rate instead of 70-90% is doing that, and a whole lot worse

Yup. As someone pointed out -- what's the difference between a million and a billion? About a billion.

Virtually none of us ever even SEE rich people. The people that you see driving Ferraris or Rolls Royces? Not rich. Maybe mega-millionaires. FIFTY NINE people in the US own over HALF of the wealth. We are all various shades of poor in comparison.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 13, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Reuben Sandwich posted:

I can make it a mod challenge to post that glorious older iron. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The way I look at it, as of August 3, the billionaires (607 people) have raked in a total of 637 billion dollars during the pandemic.

That's $1950 for every American.

$4450 for every tax payer.

Meanwhile the rest of us struggle.

I'm ok with a tax rate plan that takes that kind of thing into account.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Awww yiss :justpost:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

meatpimp posted:

Greaaaaattttt.... so we're at least two steps behind. :911:

Yup. As someone pointed out -- what's the difference between a million and a billion? About a billion.

Virtually none of us ever even SEE rich people. The people that you see driving Ferraris or Rolls Royces? Not rich. Maybe mega-millionaires. FIFTY NINE people in the US own over HALF of the wealth. We are all various shades of poor in comparison.

Idk I’ve seen a few rich rich people, but lol Silicon Valley. Alice’s def has gotten some of the real rich during the weekday mornings!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LloydDobler posted:

The Corona Virus actually proved you can do it easily - like in Sydeny there were thousands sleeping rough every night with no support services. Then it was like a loving light switch in that they got people off the streets and into accomodation, support services etc for the reasoning of they were especially vunerable to Covid. Just. Like. That.

Oh and then they raised unemployment benefits so people could actually live on it! Just. Like. That.

Support unsteady due to pandemic businesses so there wasnt millions of jobs lost? Just. Like. THAT!

And this is a bunch of Trump loving loving idiots we have that are usually screw the poor.

In all of this, the mutual obligations bullshit was dropped and a lot of people, for the first time were not loving starving. And hey, they even had the money to get a new set of clothes and do look for jobs, as lovely as the ones availible have been.

The real bludgers in society have been the rich. The real worthless assholes, the scammers, the takers are always the rich. They always find another way to get a few million off other people while you and I struggle to just see another year above water.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequences/homeless-mentally-ill.html

ETA: Better stats. https://www.bbrfoundation.org/blog/homelessness-and-mental-illness-challenge-our-society

Among homeless people, the odds of encountering serious mental illness is much higher than the population at large. Help the homeless all you can, but keep your guard up.
It's for sure harder to hold on to most jobs with mental illness, but it's not that people are actively and consciously choosing to be unhoused because of a mental illness.

I may have misunderstood the original point, but it's typically espoused as the latter, not the former.

(I'm tempted to say "correlation, not causation", but that's not exactly right, either.)

TheBacon posted:

Idk I’ve seen a few rich rich people, but lol Silicon Valley. Alice’s def has gotten some of the real rich during the weekday mornings!
I mean, I don't know who you've met, but bear in mind that we're not talking about Jack from Twitter or some other tech bro, in general. Zuckerberg probably makes the list, but we're talking people with 10s if not 100s of billions, not millions.

I live very near the studios that produce most major films, and I've definitely seen people with more money than I could ever dream of, and they're still not at that level.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
drat Spyder that can be horrible make sure to get the sheriff involved lots of people try to squat.

I have guns and I’ve had to pull one out more than once in Nashville and my town now that maybe could have been ok with a bat or crowbar but maybe not. Both ended with the cops coming and taking the people away. No shots fired.

And I’ll just go ahead and say it. I don’t talk politics and I accept and support all people but y’all make it terrifying to be a Christian person who goes to church. Seriously would y’all do that to some car weirdo who is Muslim? Anyways I go to church and I do t give a poo poo what you do or who you do it to.

Also I went to a pull-a-part today my ex was supposed to get the kids and I was supposed to get another week at the beach. Guess what she flaked! Anyways at my moms in Nashville went and had a good score they had a previa surprisingly I pulled the flip out cup holders, had an ls400 that had the rare ac part I need that I paid way too much for on eBay but I didn’t get bc I’ve had one ac blow up on my face, had some. I’ve old Toyota so pulled some visors and ash trays for future imports, and pulled the climate control from the ls bc a backup or to change my Celsior to English but at this place if you just dump a bunch of shot on the CPI tee like this they are like $10 so dumb not to. If I had my tools I’d have pulled some stock yota radios but I only took my stepdads little ratchet with 10/12 and a flat and philips and wire cutters that was enough for most

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 13, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The real bludgers in society have been the rich. The real worthless assholes, the scammers, the takers are always the rich. They always find another way to get a few million off other people while you and I struggle to just see another year above water.
Amen and I really wish America could be the way your country is, and Australia has plenty of problems politically and far from perfect but that that a loving floor of decency can be agreed upon and prevent squalor and suffering by even the right there is certainly something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

drat Spyder that can be horrible make sure to get the sheriff involved lots of people try to squat.

I have guns and I’ve had to pull one out more than once in Nashville and my town now that maybe could have been ok with a bat or crowbar but maybe not. Both ended with the cops coming and taking the people away. No shots fired.

And I’ll just go ahead and say it. I don’t talk politics and I accept and support all people but y’all make it terrifying to be a Christian person who goes to church. Seriously would y’all do that to some car weirdo who is Muslim? Anyways I go to church and I do t give a poo poo what you do or who you do it to.
What the gently caress

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

everdave posted:

I’m confused by this, do what to them? If anything talking about helping the poor and homeless and supporting social programs to lift the destitute and those in need of help seems like that would be right in line with Christian values?

Personally I do not have faith, but I hold nothing against anyone that does, of any sort of faith. As long as that faith doesn’t start infringing on other’s wellbeing and rights we are all good and that faith should be protected.

I do have a lot of issues with the institution of the church and how it has functioned throughout most of history though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

TheBacon posted:

I’m confused by this, do what to them? If anything talking about helping the poor and homeless and supporting social programs to lift the destitute and those in need of help seems like that would be right in line with Christian values?

Personally I do not have faith, but I hold nothing against anyone that does, of any sort of faith. As long as that faith doesn’t start infringing on other’s wellbeing and rights we are all good and that faith should be protected.

I do have a lot of issues with the institution of the church and how it has functioned throughout most of history though.

Make fun of them talking to a sky man or being stupid. I don’t give a shot I just want to talk about cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

everdave posted:

Make fun of them talking to a sky man or being stupid. I don’t give a shot I just want to talk about cars

What are you talking about?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

everdave posted:

I guess I missed that? But I don’t think that’s cool either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

everdave posted:

What the gently caress??? Come on, I've long been obvious in my beliefs around here for years and absolutely no one has ever given me a second's worth of grief. It does help I actually take for serious what that Palestinian said and thence I have a left wing view of what's right but still -

- No one has ever given one iota of a poo poo about my religious beliefs here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Wasting time by posting this and not a project thread.

kastein posted:

The way I look at it, as of August 3, the billionaires (607 people) have raked in a total of 637 billion dollars during the pandemic.

That's $1950 for every American.

$4450 for every tax payer.

Meanwhile the rest of us struggle.

I'm ok with a tax rate plan that takes that kind of thing into account.

I unequivocally agree.

TheBacon posted:

ehhh, not really. The real rich aren't going to hang out at Alice's. Fwiw it's a real treat to WFH and get out on 35 and the like during the weekday. I've not done an Alice's run in 2020, heard it has been a shitshow.

everdave posted:

Guns are like hammers. They solve problems in a singular fashion. If you always resort to using a hammer, you're doing it wrong.

Also the gently caress are you talking about? This forum is inclusive as gently caress, whether it's religion, gender, orientation, race, profession, creed, etc. This forum comes together for the love of shitboxes and everything that they entail. Hell man they band together to help each other out when they're down on their luck. Now if someone is broadcasting a lovely attitude as loud as possible, sure they're gonna have a bad time here. Basically nobody gives a gently caress if you're not being militant about it.

I'm a "car weirdo" that's queer, married, middle eastern, heavy left leaning politically, baptized a Catholic and raised under the Sunni Muslim faith*.
If this place were lovely like you speak, No loving way in hell would I stick around. AI owns. There's not another like it on the internet. Again, wtf mate?

*I swore off religion about 20 years ago.
There are at least a few Christians here too. Again, eh?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

cursedshitbox posted:

ehhh, not really. The real rich aren't going to hang out at Alice's. Fwiw it's a real treat to WFH and get out on 35 and the like during the weekday. I've not done an Alice's run in 2020, heard it has been a shitshow.

I saw Ellison once and I think he counts? But supposedly he regularly went and had some sort of semi reoccurring breakfast with his rich friends.

FWIW it’s been great all quarantine for me, but I live 4 miles down Saratoga from the start of 9 so it’s my go to. I actually stopped to eat the last couple times I’ve gone, including just this past Saturday morning! And the restaurant itself did a pretty satisfactory job to me along with all the customers actually eating. They spread picnic tables out all across their lawn and it’s a buzzer to go get your food so no like waited on service besides coffee refills. I don’t hang out by the liquor store side though and there are usually less masks over that way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

Wasting time by posting this and not a project thread.

I unequivocally agree.

Guns are like hammers. They solve problems in a singular fashion. If you always resort to using a hammer, you're doing it wrong.

Also the gently caress are you talking about? This forum is inclusive as gently caress, whether it's religion, gender, orientation, race, profession, creed, etc. This forum comes together for the love of shitboxes and everything that they entail. Hell man they band together to help each other out when they're down on their luck. Now if someone is broadcasting a lovely attitude as loud as possible, sure they're gonna have a bad time here. Basically nobody gives a gently caress if you're not being militant about it.

I'm a "car weirdo" that's queer, married, middle eastern, heavy left leaning politically, baptized a Catholic and raised under the Sunni Muslim faith*.
If this place were lovely like you speak, No loving way in hell would I stick around. AI owns. There's not another like it on the internet. Again, wtf mate?

*I swore off religion about 20 years ago.
There are at least a few Christians here too. Again, eh?

Not true, hammers can pull nails too. IT'S THE INTERNET WE NEED A GUY LIKE ME TO BE PEDANTIC.

Also I agree with you and was just telling my friend how surprising the political alignments are on this car forum of all places.

I still have seen too many obnoxious posters around the entire site that I keep my private life as private as I can, I want to keep my options open for posting in other places.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I hope to someday update my thread with older. Always post.
You'll see the thread hopefully by January. It leaked oil in the 70s so my father tucked it in the corner of the garage since. Given that fact, I'm going to wait until I know whether the engine is rebuildable or not for a thread. But at least now I'll chronicle from the beginning.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ferremit posted:

I’ve had the cops do a firearms inspection on my place and it was a totally painless experience. They just wanted to know that my firearms are in a safe, not just laying around, that the keys aren’t kept in plain sight and no one else knows where they are and that your stuff is actually stored properly.

Guy spent more time talking bout hunting and what I had than actually doing the inspection. Tho these are Australian cops, so your mileage may vary in places where your police force is less..... professional...

Yeah, this is the US, where cops shoot dogs as a matter of course and get caught planting drugs on their body camera feeds. Would I trust my safety for a podunk county sheriff's deputy to drop by and check on my safe, out here in flyover country, population two cows and an infinite amount of corn? Sure.

Would I trust that to be universal among every person and law enforcement department in the country? gently caress no.

Rhyno posted:

An equal amount of dipshits are obsessed with the hero fantasy. They honestly think they will save the day if poo poo goes down.

We have a fuckstick that open carries at cars and coffee and he is very confrontational. He heard someone making Mustang Driver jokes so he confronted the dude and when the joke maker refused to back down our resident fuckstick rested his hand on his gun. The entire mood changed immediately.

I HATE guys that open carry.

People who open carry outside of stuff like hunting shouldn't be carrying at all.

The point of carrying a defensive firearm is that it is a tool of last resort, and nobody knowing you have it unless you need it is a big part of how you keep situations from escalating such that violence gets involved.

The real first line of defense is knowing how to avoid bad situations and when to walk away.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

I saw Ellison once and I think he counts? But supposedly he regularly went and had some sort of semi reoccurring breakfast with his rich friends.

FWIW it’s been great all quarantine for me, but I live 4 miles down Saratoga from the start of 9 so it’s my go to. I actually stopped to eat the last couple times I’ve gone, including just this past Saturday morning! And the restaurant itself did a pretty satisfactory job to me along with all the customers actually eating. They spread picnic tables out all across their lawn and it’s a buzzer to go get your food so no like waited on service besides coffee refills. I don’t hang out by the liquor store side though and there are usually less masks over that way.

Oh that's awesome! I wasn't mentioning Alice's itself, just the roads surrounding it. The roads were *real* busy back 500 days ago when the state first reopened according to some moto/car buddies that frequent the area. In fact I should do a fly by this week or something for posterity sake.
Every time I've been to Alice's its been packed, good to read that they're adjusted well to the times.

StormDrain posted:

Not true, hammers can pull nails too. IT'S THE INTERNET WE NEED A GUY LIKE ME TO BE PEDANTIC.

Also I agree with you and was just telling my friend how surprising the political alignments are on this car forum of all places.

I still have seen too many obnoxious posters around the entire site that I keep my private life as private as I can, I want to keep my options open for posting in other places.

Oh right. There's more to hammers than a sawed off 20lb sledge.
I *try* to slow the leak that is information onto the internet but uhhhhh tech companies know everything about me except for that ducking word I'm trying to type into a phone. I'm an amateur radio operator so just about everything is already out there, not to mention being in porn years ago. Basically privacy at this point is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I used to respond to doxxing and death threats on IRC by pasting my address and phone number and telling people to call before coming over. No takers. I eventually stopped when I got married because I don't want to get my wife tangled up in my online bullshit if anyone actually shows up.