Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

STR posted:

Brief jump into the religion chat. I was raised Baptist. Went full atheist for a long time. Consider myself agnostic today, but occasionally attend a Unitarian Universalist church (with COVID, it's been via FB Live), and have been (off and on) for several years now. The one near my first place in the Austin area didn't quite feel right for me, but the big UU church in Austin feels like home (there's a third here that I haven't been to). The one near where I went to university near DFW was pretty great.

They don't judge, they don't care what religion you are, what you're wearing (serious, people went to the one by my university in tank tops and shorts), what your hair color is. Just show up, say hi, hang out a bit, learn a bit about every religion. I think it's pretty great to learn about everything from Catholicism to Paganism in one place.

tl;dr don't judge others lest you be judged

Jeff Bezos is supposedly driving a 1996 (or 97?) Honda Accord that he's had forever (as cheap as Amazon is in every way, this doesn't surprise me one bit). Mark Zuckerberg used to drive a Honda Fit, apparently his daily is an Acura TSX now. Michael Bloomberg drives a Suburban. Warren Buffet drives a 14 year old CTS.

The only standout out of the 5 richest people in the US (from the list I found) is Bill Gates, he has a couple of Porches, a Tesla, and a Corvette. Nothing exactly exotic except for one of the Porches (959).

Bezos is one of the richest people in the world, if not the richest. He didn't get there by driving expensive cars (in fact I'd bet he bought that Accord used when Amazon IPO'd).

Of course, these guys are all rich enough to have a car collection of some kind; Zuck has a Golf GTI and a Pagani in addition to the TSX, Bloomberg has an R8, Gates has at least 4 cars. But the richest people are driving pretty pedestrian cars overall.

Joke's on us, Bezos 'drives' that car in as much as he could notionally drive it, but does most of his travelling by private plane. He keeps it for the optics.

Jeff Bezos doesn't pop down to the corner store for a loaf of bread and dozen eggs without a security team in tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's doubly amusing when you realise The Satanic Temple itself is actually a lot more inline with what Jesus' teachings were and would be in the modern age.

They also have zero tolerance for nonces which makes a change

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Liquid Communism posted:

Joke's on us, Bezos 'drives' that car in as much as he could notionally drive it, but does most of his travelling by private plane. He keeps it for the optics.

Jeff Bezos doesn't pop down to the corner store for a loaf of bread and dozen eggs without a security team in tow.

As if he doesn't use Amazon to have his groceries delivered from Whole Paycheck to his personal chef. :rolleyes:

He IS known for being notoriously frugal on a lot of things though (housing and jet excluded). And having worked for Amazon a few years ago, I saw a lot of that frugality still going on. "Desks" were old doors on cinder blocks at times (otherwise just cheap folding tables), laptops used by the warehouse managers were positively ANCIENT, a large chunk were refurbs or off-lease units. They spend a fortune on computing hardware for AWS, but the rest of their IT infrastructure is the bare minimum. The warehouse I delivered out of had DSL, for fucks sake, and I'm sure it's because they arm wrestled AT&T to get a stupid low rate (probably on par with residential rates). The fallover was another DSL line. Every time it rained was a hilarious poo poo show, since both DSL lines would poo poo themselves, and the fallover for the fallover (dialup) would also poo poo itself thanks to the ~70 year old copper in that neighborhood.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

STR posted:

rich people cars

I have a hard time believing they actually drive themselves - my take is the "I own a Honda Accord" is definitely for show and he most likely gets chauffered around. Bezos time is way too valuable to be spent stuck behind the wheel in Seattle traffic. Same with Zuck - 4-5 years ago his security detail was like 4 suburbans that pissed off neighbors by taking up valuable street parking at his house in SF he got while his wife was doing her residency at the nearby hospital.

Edit: the door desk thing is just optics - they're more expensive than normal desks. Everyone at the Seattle twitch office HATED them (the other twitch offices had normal sit/stand desks)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can not remember the last time I stayed up for 48 hours straight on pure adrenaline. Slept 7 hours while a friend stayed over "just in case". Looks like we are in the clear as far as safety goes. I've spent more time talking to CPS in the last two days than I ever want to moving forward.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the spyder posted:

I can not remember the last time I stayed up for 48 hours straight on pure adrenaline. Slept 7 hours while a friend stayed over "just in case". Looks like we are in the clear as far as safety goes. I've spent more time talking to CPS in the last two days than I ever want to moving forward.

:stare: No good deed goes unpunished

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow is that in your shop right now? If so what are the odds of that haha.

It looks really good, but I don't know how to feel about no pop up head lights :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

luminalflux posted:

I have a hard time believing they actually drive themselves - my take is the "I own a Honda Accord" is definitely for show and he most likely gets chauffered around. Bezos time is way too valuable to be spent stuck behind the wheel in Seattle traffic. Same with Zuck - 4-5 years ago his security detail was like 4 suburbans that pissed off neighbors by taking up valuable street parking at his house in SF he got while his wife was doing her residency at the nearby hospital.

Edit: the door desk thing is just optics - they're more expensive than normal desks. Everyone at the Seattle twitch office HATED them (the other twitch offices had normal sit/stand desks)

With Bezos, yeah, you're very likely right. Especially with the mansions he owns. Zuck at least still drives himself around.

If I had that kind of money, I'd be driving all the fun "somewhat normal" cars, like Integras, Subarus, Golfs, etc. gently caress supercars, they get too much attention (and need too much attention).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

drat. That is not something I ever want to be able to relate to. So you and your family are to the best of your knowledge safe now?

Any way we can help? There's always the AI slack of you need to vent a stream of consciousness that :justpost: doesn't quite accomplish.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that amount of money would alter you in ways you can't begin to understand. it is not a case where you can be like "oh i'd just be lil ole kyoon griffey jr doin the things that i wanted to do but didn't." projecting what you would do with that kind of money is basically impossible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd do two chicks at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'd do two chicks at the same time.

I mean, the surgery to graft that second penis on is gonna be costly

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

STR posted:

With Bezos, yeah, you're very likely right. Especially with the mansions he owns. Zuck at least still drives himself around.

If I had that kind of money, I'd be driving all the fun "somewhat normal" cars, like Integras, Subarus, Golfs, etc. gently caress supercars, they get too much attention (and need too much attention).

There’s multiple articles out there stating zuck gets carted around by his security team. Esp now I can’t imagine his minders allowing him to drive

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that amount of money would alter you in ways you can't begin to understand. it is not a case where you can be like "oh i'd just be lil ole kyoon griffey jr doin the things that i wanted to do but didn't." projecting what you would do with that kind of money is basically impossible.

For one, simply acquiring that much wealth requires some seriously broken morals.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I mean, the surgery to graft that second penis on is gonna be costly

£70,000 is nothing if you're a billionaire

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/7297330/charlotte-rose-bionic-penis-man-mohammed-abad-lover-sex-worker/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

For one, simply acquiring that much wealth requires some seriously broken morals.

Ugh yeah, I don't care enough about money to step on people's backs to get it. The amount of people that are hosed over to get to that kind of position must be astronomical.

Unless you just stumble into it like winning the lottery or something, then I'd just try to disappear with my family basically.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Wrar posted:

My kid has been waking up between 4 and 6:30 for the last I dunno 5 days. :shepicide: :negative:

It's me. I'm your kid. Hi dad

I just want to be able to sleep like I could when I was a teenager.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I miss sleep. I'm up every day at 3-4am for no reason, even on days I go into work I don't leave the house until around 6:15. Sometimes it's back pain, other times it's dogs being assholes and others I'm just wide awake for no reason. On the upside I get some undisturbed gaming time and a couple cups of coffee before I even have to think about getting ready for work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my back doesn't let me sleep much anymore either. I'm lucky if I get 7 or 8 hours these days.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
No surprise that Bill Gates is into car considering all of the speeding tickets he got in his 20s lmao.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

(and need too much attention)

Sounds like a problem for your valet.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My wife has a lot of back and joint issues that caused her to have issues sleeping. We bought one of those nectar mattresses and it has helped her a lot. Any of the memory foam ones should do and they are not too bad price wise.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Is it a Testarossa or a 512 TR cuz the former is a bit poo poo and latter a much nicer car to drive

I do not know I only have a pic of what is headed this way I’d honestly love to know I see red and side view and I turn I to a 14 year old

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

tl;dr don't judge others lest you be judged

That's one I like to throw at quoters.

Something I found on the internets, or at least one of them:

...some days.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

drat. That is not something I ever want to be able to relate to. So you and your family are to the best of your knowledge safe now?

Any way we can help? There's always the AI slack of you need to vent a stream of consciousness that :justpost: doesn't quite accomplish.

Find your local homeless shelter or PD/Fire/EMS Christmas drive + donate. I am incredibly grateful for the assistance both public services have provided. With the overwhelming negative media attention/overall issues with Police, I had a pretty poor outlook going into this. Instead I was greeted with level headed officers who provided mediation and really seemed to care about a peaceful outcome for all parties involved. YMMV - and If you prefer something else, any children's support organization or toy drive would be great. The kids from this family are in for a very hard next few months and I'm reminded how important it is not to loose sight of them being the victims here, despite being overwhelmed by the anger towards the mother. /rant

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

My wife has a lot of back and joint issues that caused her to have issues sleeping. We bought one of those nectar mattresses and it has helped her a lot. Any of the memory foam ones should do and they are not too bad price wise.

I had a memory foam (tempurpedic) and it just made it worse because they don't offer enough support, your body "sinks" into it.

I need a mattress that's stiff as a board to support my back or it's no bueno. We're thinking of sleep number beds now, that way at least my wife doesn't have to suffer as well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a Sleep Number and love mine. A couple of things I learned when shopping:

Start with the c2 (the least expensive regular priced one). Don't start with the most expensive (i10).

Spend at least 15 minutes in your normal sleep position on each mattress. Bring your own pillow.

Start with each mattress at 100 and gradually decrease in 10 point increments until you're comfy. Use the 5 point increments as fine tuning.

Your number on one mattress will not necessarily transfer to another.

If your number is 30 or lower on any mattress, you really should try the next higher mattress series. If your number is 80 or higher on any mattress, you should try the next lowest mattress series (which has less foam padding).

The adjustable bases are a ripoff - unless you really want/need one. They are inordinately expensive and their trial offer doesn't apply to it. And it has a shorter warranty than the mattress.

If you really want an i10 (their top model), Oct is the month to buy one - $700 off and free delivery/setup is as low as they ever go. Once a quarter there will be one "low as it goes" deal - it's almost always an upper tier model. The best deal on the c2 is $200 off. It's never more than that.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 14, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

64bit_Dophins posted:

No surprise that Bill Gates is into car considering all of the speeding tickets he got in his 20s lmao.

The Microsoft campus was car-spotting heaven in the late 90s and early aughts. I have no doubt that culture started with him.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

On the eye of the needle thing, it's pretty obvious that there's no rules lawyering it when you read the whole passage:

The Bible posted:

20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

And the icing on the cake a few lines later:

The Bible posted:

31 But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.

Maybe Princess Leia said it best: ”If money is all that you love, then that's what you will receive." There is literally no excuse for anyone calling themselves a christian to have any kind of stockpile of money, or any at all depending on how literal you read it, and how many verses you can find contradicting it.

On the flip side, I don't believe in an afterlife, so to me what we do here is even more important than most religions say it is.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 14, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man y’all lurkers are weird I thought I cropped the pic from IG but I didn’t the guy with the Ferrari has responded to you and happens to know I’m not wanted for murder. Thanks lurky lurks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

Man y’all lurkers are weird I thought I cropped the pic from IG but I didn’t the guy with the Ferrari has responded to you and happens to know I’m not wanted for murder. Thanks lurky lurks!

Goons gonna goon.

Edit: I had to look up your post to see what you were talking about, and I'm more concerned with your phone being at 47% at 8AM. :stare:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Edit: I had to look up your post to see what you were talking about, and I'm more concerned with your phone being at 47% at 8AM. :stare:

I stopped charging my phone at night for whatever reason, since i'm either gonna be at my desk all day, or it'll be connected to my car if i'm driving.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

BigPaddy posted:

I got an Ecosa recently and its pretty good, despite coming from a much firmer innersprung mattress. What I don't like is that the mattress seems to have been measured by the apprentice. It's a super king and supposed to be 205x205cm but it's definitely out of square. None of the super king sheet sets I have actually fit on it correctly and that bugs my mild OCD.

I've been trying to do some fun things with my work to break the monotony of Melbourne's never ending lockdown. I organised a Whisky Tasting/Trivia night via Zoom and held it last night. I decided to really lean into the 70's quiz host look.

I think I'll keep the slug for a while yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LloydDobler posted:

On the eye of the needle thing, it's pretty obvious that there's no rules lawyering it when you read the whole passage:

And the icing on the cake a few lines later:

In the context of the day, the message is more powerful and damning. At the time, a sign of blessing from God was wealth and health. Jesus here is directly contradicting this in front of a crowd of people who were learned in the Talmut and absoluty believed the wealthy ruler (or prince) was a especially blessed man. The gospels tend to read dryly but "astonished" is pretty much "Jesus said something completely contradictory to the days doctrine that pissed people off" - Jesus was pretty much the equivalent of the crazy street preacher of the time, except He demonstrated authority that the Pharasees didnt.

So the prosperity doctrine assholes are literally teaching the opposite of what Jesus said aka Power and wealth are NOT a sign of blessing, so stop hoarding your money and start helping the poor you rich assholes. There's no out here. If you are a preacher with 4 houses, boats and a collection of wealth you are going on an express elevator down.

Oh and He said pay your taxes. Well. Aint that a bitch?

Also "Camel through he eye of a needle" is likely a mistranslation of "Cable (aka thick rope) through a needle's eye) so there is no outs like some scholars like to try and say.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I thought it was due to the old name for the small hole in the city door that let one person through in a compromising position being the "needle". Either way, you aren't getting a camel through it.

E: it appears I'm likely wrong, and hopefully someone who can read the original Hebrew will answer in detail, but the Islamic version agrees with CT.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 14, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

everdave posted:

Holy poo poo you loving goons. :cripes:

Edit: I know this is probably me pissing in the wind, but can we please avoid trying to ruin good things for other people by being loving horrible goons? Like for fucks sake.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 14, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah as private as this place is with the $10 troll filter, it's still pretty drat public and goons are still pretty weird.

I love you please don't doxx me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

E: it appears I'm likely wrong, and hopefully someone who can read the original Hebrew will answer in detail, but the Islamic version agrees with CT.

The original text that was translated from was Greek and Aramaic. As I understand the translation from Greek to English was the problem where the words for camel and cable look very similar and the translator got it wrong.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm honestly surprised there are enough people left on the forum that care enough to internet stalk random strangers they don't know, although I know there was a bunch of bullshit with STR and a place of employment a while ago.

I technically work for my wife so not really a big issue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
fuuuucckkk me.

From an Aussie: Trump is great because he's always surrounded by beautiful women and he's got a fews kids you know strong family values. Not like that facist war criminal Joe Biden.

:psyboom: