Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Turin Turambar posted:

in experimental features you can enable the 90hz... just for the OS and tv.

You can also force 90Hz for everything by running the following adb command and then hitting the power button twice to toggle the screen off and back on:

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.refreshRate 90

Works GREAT so far, haven’t run into the guardian bug Carmack was talking about yet.

Edit: also if you have prescription inserts from the Q1, they also work perfectly on the 2. Weirdly, it doesn’t seem like you can/need to snap off the stock lens clips like on the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
OH HECK YES.

I know you all are gushing about your Quest 2's but I just managed to fix my issue with Link. Apparently my 3.0 USB was a bit too lovely and underpowered so I bought a PCI USB 3.1 card (powered separately via SATA power cable) and now it works like a goddamn charm. Wooo, what a rush, boy am I glad my stuttering problem is now gone.
Finally time for some Squadrons and BallisticNG in VR!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

You can also force 90Hz for everything by running the following adb command and then hitting the power button twice to toggle the screen off and back on:

Works GREAT so far, haven’t run into the guardian bug Carmack was talking about yet.

Ohhh. nice!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

So far I'm not too impressed, but I've only tried some videos and Beat Saber---which, BTW, is a mystery to me in terms of why it so popular.

The real point of VR to me will be PCVR, so I'll try that tonight after work when I have time to hook everything up. If that doesn't feel better than what I have got so far, I'll probably just return the headset

I agree, Beat Saber is fine, but it feels like you're just playing a fancy arcade game, if that makes sense. It takes about as little advantage of the platform as possible.

You should try out stuff like Echo Arena, Thrill of the Fight, the Space Pirate Trainer demo (I dunno if this is still a thing for Quest 2), and the Lightsaber Dojo in Vader Immortal: Episode 1 (the dojos in 2 and 3 have ridiculously op force powers which make them way dumber and easier)

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Biggest downside for the Q2 so far has been the FoV issue when you’re at the highest IPD setting. There’s a very noticeable abrupt vertical slice on both sides where the physical screen ends. Weirdly, it’s only visible in peripheral vision, if you try to focus on the right or left sides it disappears. Somehow this makes it even more annoying like trying to track down a fruit fly you saw out of the corner of your eye.

Fortunately my IPD is 67 so I can sort of wedge the IPD slider between 2-3 without getting a headache. This fixes the visible screen edge problem.

But I’d be very careful buying this thing if you’re at or above 68 IPD, the screen edge is much more noticeable and aggravating than the reviews made it sound.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I forgot to comment it but I think the sound of the Q2 is a bit better than Q1's? It could be just because it's closer to the ear and tries less to 'bounce' the sound on the strap.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't know my IPD but I wear glasses and the lack of peripheral vision sucks. Would it be better if I used contacts instead so my eyes are closer?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yes. Closer is always better.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

Edit: also if you have prescription inserts from the Q1, they also work perfectly on the 2. Weirdly, it doesn’t seem like you can/need to snap off the stock lens clips like on the first one.

Are they actually allowing ADB commands and such? I'm stunned they're even enabled.

Also did they ever backtrack on the Facebook account required thing? I know with the bad press and some congressional antitrust stuff they might be considering some other option but I haven't kept up to date on it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Kind of wish I had bothered getting contacts in myself before covid started. The prescription inserts do their job extremely well but since it makes the inside thicker even if I move the lenses all the way back they still push up against my eyebrows and leave horrible squiggles on the lenses.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Are they actually allowing ADB commands and such? I'm stunned they're even enabled.

Also did they ever backtrack on the Facebook account required thing? I know with the bad press and some congressional antitrust stuff they might be considering some other option but I haven't kept up to date on it.

I can’t answer the Facebook question but if they haven’t walked it back, what is there to be concerned about/what can I do to avoid it? I’m against the invasion of privacy, and don’t support Facebook, but also don’t really know what’s all going on.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why the hell do I even need glasses/contacts when the screen is literally inches from my eyes?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

You can't do development without them. I suppose they could technically lock it behind the headset being bound to a developer account, but that would be a lot of work that wouldn't really get them much.

blue squares posted:

Why the hell do I even need glasses/contacts when the screen is literally inches from my eyes?

Because there are lenses between you and the screen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

You need to enable first the developer mode. Including registering a dev account.

About the second part: lol no backtracking.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quick and dirty test for 'modded Quest 2', just 3 velcros. Comfort is improved, although still inferior to modded Quest 1. I think it's because I'm putting the straps too tight, trying to compensate the lack of 'cusp' on the back of the head.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Whoa, they made the comfort worse?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

The lenses makes the image generated by the screen appear as if it's about 2 meters away from you, so about 6 feet. That's where your eyes will attempt to focus to get the clearest image, so whatever correction you might need to see things 6 feet away will still be necessary in VR.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

blue squares posted:

Because the lenses focus your eyes much further out (I believe two meters).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

blunt posted:

Welp, somebody on Reddit has already done the FrankenQuest 2:

seems like a kinda strange place to have a controller

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I will defend the cloth strap in one way at least, much like the go, having the option of a cloth strap you can put on makes it extremely comfortable to lay down in bed with, or lay back in an airline seat. The elite strap will never be comfortable to lay against the back of your head.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have an Index so I haven't tried lying down with it, can you recommend any software that is fun to experience passively? Free is a bonus, but not a deal killer.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

Turin Turambar posted:

Quick and dirty test for 'modded Quest 2', just 3 velcros. Comfort is improved, although still inferior to modded Quest 1. I think it's because I'm putting the straps too tight, trying to compensate the lack of 'cusp' on the back of the head.

I can’t even find a good place to mount a battery pack on the Elite strap. You’re stuck with either putting it right on top of the adjustment dial (lol) or on the cupped bottom half of the rubber head grip thing which feels really unstable.

Guess I’m waiting for a 3D printed battery holder or something. At least the Elite strap is way more comfortable than the stock Q1 strap - still needs a little more counterweight but definitely a big improvement.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nocheez posted:

I have an Index so I haven't tried lying down with it, can you recommend any software that is fun to experience passively? Free is a bonus, but not a deal killer.

Wouldn't really be convenient with a wired headset, but I absolutely adore my Go as a way to watch tv and things before bed, or when on flights. Instead of cranking my neck to look at a tv in the bedroom, I can lay back comfortable, use the amazon/hulu/netflix apps, or just stream stuff on the network in skybox theater to watch a giant tv floating right above me.

Its basically the best portable TV screen.

As far as any actual, like active thing to do, there are some relaxing guided meditation things where you can lay back on a beach listening to the sounds and someone guiding you through calming meditation. that was enjoyable.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just got notice that my Costco preorder shipped, looks like it should be here on Friday!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nocheez posted:

BigScreen has one of the 'rooms' with a playback screen mounted on the ceiling over a virtual bed, so it you want to recline and watch a movie there you go.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

BigScreen has one of the 'rooms' with a playback screen mounted on the ceiling over a virtual bed, so it you want to recline and watch a movie there you go.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion as I already have big screen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

I can’t even find a good place to mount a battery pack on the Elite strap. You’re stuck with either putting it right on top of the adjustment dial (lol) or on the cupped bottom half of the rubber head grip thing which feels really unstable.

Guess I’m waiting for a 3D printed battery holder or something. At least the Elite strap is way more comfortable than the stock Q1 strap - still needs a little more counterweight but definitely a big improvement.

While I await mine, I had already noticed the same upon seeing screenshots of it. I will have to think how to do it when mine arrives.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I will defend the cloth strap in one way at least, much like the go, having the option of a cloth strap you can put on makes it extremely comfortable to lay down in bed with, or lay back in an airline seat. The elite strap will never be comfortable to lay against the back of your head.

Also seems like it would be good for bringing to a friends house without taking up almost any space in a bag or whatever.

I can't imagine owning one and not seeking out a better option for regular use though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got Virtual Desktop patched (glad to see sidequest works just as well) and gave Squadrons a go. My grievances with the offset IPD blurriness from being stuck in between settings are kinda balanced by the improved visual clarity. Bit of an odd trade off but I think I'll be fine with it. Once the weekend is here I'll sink some serious VR sessions and see how I feel about it.

Now if only EA could go ahead and loving fix Squadron's lovely VR issues. That'd be great.

Leathal posted:

Dumb question but where do I run/type this and do I need to do every time I use it?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Finally finished work and tried SW Squadrons. Being able to look around is very cool, but the visuals are a ton worse than my 1440p monitor. It's fun, but it may just be a fun gimmick. The worse graphics are killing me. And slight motion sickness

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

My Index has been sitting in a FedEx depot since Friday, when it was "on a vehicle for delivery" and then didn't actually show up. So close, yet so far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

Finally finished work and tried SW Squadrons. Being able to look around is very cool, but the visuals are a ton worse than my 1440p monitor. It's fun, but it may just be a fun gimmick. The worse graphics are killing me. And slight motion sickness

I don't think its just a gimmick, it adds quite a bit, but the rendering in VR is totally hosed for many systems. If they ever actually patch the thing to run at high frame rates it'll be great, but who knows when that'll be :smith:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

My Index has been sitting in a FedEx depot since Friday, when it was "on a vehicle for delivery" and then didn't actually show up. So close, yet so far.

Virtual virtual reality

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
I have a Quest 2 that should be here tomorrow or Thursday. What are some of the best games to check out?

I played Robo Recall and Arizona Sunshine in the past and enjoyed them, but I assume the game library has expanded since 2018.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Virtual virtual reality

Can't wait to play "out for delivery simulator"

or am I already playing? :tinfoil:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Can't wait to play "out for delivery simulator"

or am I already playing? :tinfoil:

WindowFoggingSimulator2020, good game, lots of tension and replay value.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blue squares posted:

Have you messed around with the settings much? loving around with resolution and AA makes a huge difference. I think graphically it's probably one of the better looking VR games out there. So if you are new to VR, you should temper your expectations because it's never going to look as clear as a 1440p monitor, at least at this point in time. At least when it comes to games that are shooting for realism. Games with simpler graphics tend to fare much better.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Whew the black levels on Q2 are trash if you're into watching movies in a dim theater environment. It's like trying to look through a milky haze. In the Amazon Prime VR app, you can barely differentiate the theater seats from the walls, and even the movie has this grey fog over it, it's really jarring coming from Q1.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

Virtual virtual reality

This is a real game, and its actually really good :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Have you messed around with the settings much? loving around with resolution and AA makes a huge difference. I think graphically it's probably one of the better looking VR games out there. So if you are new to VR, you should temper your expectations because it's never going to look as clear as a 1440p monitor, at least at this point in time. At least when it comes to games that are shooting for realism. Games with simpler graphics tend to fare much better.

I’m just going to return it. It makes me feel sick and now my inner ear has been hurting for an hour. gently caress. I was excited for VR but it’s not for me