Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Cyberpunk 2077 :a Mad Marx trip to Night city and the deconstruction of the Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

black.lion posted:

"I'm sorry Marx-sama but you'll need to upgrade to platinum if you want to restore your honor today uwu"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zaphod42 posted:

2: some of these people legit didn't like Witcher 3 (yeah I don't get it either) and so they're like, almost jealous that other gamers are so excited for a game that doesn't appeal to them?

I loved W3, but I sort of get this. I played it for the story, I didn't think the combat was particularly fun. So if the story didn't grab you, I could see why you might thing it was pretty mediocre.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Am I the only one that enjoyed combat in W3? Like yeah it had a rough edge here and there, camera angles and the like, but I enjoyed combat spec'd into all 3 trees... all felt unique and fun... combat was challenging but skill-based mostly...

This is 100% the reason I keep asking about melee weapons in this game, I'm committed to making my first V into a newly-cloned Geralt a la Duncan Idaho

Which origin is most appropriate for a Geralt clone? I guess corpo bc who else would be able to produce a clone, but ignoring that bit...?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i had fun with the W3 combat but then i never played dark souls or whatever so what do i know

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I bounced off every DarkSouls and DS-like game I've ever played, combat too slow and clunky, Sekiro is the only one that sorta grabbed me and I got stuck at Lady Butterfly and uninstalled during a temper tantrum

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

black.lion posted:

Am I the only one that enjoyed combat in W3? Like yeah it had a rough edge here and there, camera angles and the like, but I enjoyed combat spec'd into all 3 trees... all felt unique and fun... combat was challenging but skill-based mostly...

This is 100% the reason I keep asking about melee weapons in this game, I'm committed to making my first V into a newly-cloned Geralt a la Duncan Idaho

Which origin is most appropriate for a Geralt clone? I guess corpo bc who else would be able to produce a clone, but ignoring that bit...?

I enjoyed the combat in W3. Apparently a lot of people didn't realise you could do something in combat which made the game a lot worse? Can't remember what it was though.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I did like Witcher 3 combat, I thought it fit the conceit quite well. Fighting level 50 wolves is dumb as hell though.

I bought a copy for a friend for his birthday and I asked him later what he thought and he said he was annoyed at all the cutscenes since he just "skips through all that stuff". I kind of felt like asking for my money back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you started Witcher 3 when the game first came out, your opinion of it might not be as good than someone who got into it after all of the DLC and updates released. There were a lot of balance changes, and quality of life improvements that made it much better to play.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

black.lion posted:

I mean, wouldn’t nomad make the most sense thematically? If you go corpo then there’s a higher chance of getting some sort of direct contradiction in backstory or characterization.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

what show is this

asking for the downtrodden proletariat

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ok, whats this, I want to watch anime about hot Karl Marx.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
W3 combat was weird but good because I felt like the base combat is pretty bad until you unlock specific OP talents and then it gets really fun and you can mix it up a lot.

I also only played all 3 games on Death March and some of the fights are 100% not balanced for Death March, like the dream sequence where you play a regular soldier with no special abilities.

Also nthing new thread title please and thank you, I cannot wait to seize the means of production with my thermal katana and nano-fiber hand whip.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

black.lion posted:

I played it after getting hard into demons and dark souls so it was never fully satisfying, but I also didn't remotely hate the combat. Enjoyable beat em up stuff. I wouldn't want like, turn based combat in W3.

Cool backstory dude.

You could be a clone who escaped and is living off the grid as a nomad, or working as a corpo.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

You could be a clone who escaped and is living off the grid as a nomad.

Hot drat yes, I secretly wanted to do my playthrus as nomad>street kid>corpo in that order so WE GON' CALL THIS CANON NAO

e: Gonna be funny when the nomad origin has friends and/or family and I know secretly that they're all just a cover to keep my clone rear end safe and I don't really love or care about any of them except for my ride (car) bc my ride is my life as a nomad

e2: I hope the nomad katana has wheels

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 13, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

black.lion posted:

The combat in 3 was okay, though it heavily tied your damage output to levels instead of your gear. Happened to me when I was fighting a monster that I could barely damage, then I leveled up from something mid-fight and suddenly I was cutting huge chunks out of the monster's HP bar. But I don't know if that counts as combat system or progression system...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

black.lion posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed TW3 combat. I played with a Sign build, or whatever Magic is called in that game. I had a lot of fun just dodging around my Slow-Mo field lighting bitches on fire.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

TheRat posted:

I enjoyed the combat in W3. Apparently a lot of people didn't realise you could do something in combat which made the game a lot worse? Can't remember what it was though.

Probably dodging. I know the combat got a lot better for me once I learned to do that instead of rolling throughout every fight.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

space marine todd posted:

what show is this

asking for the downtrodden proletariat

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ok, whats this, I want to watch anime about hot Karl Marx.

no idea, i just image searched anime marx

seems to be a real show though!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

black.lion posted:

You aren't, everyone who was able to understand that there was both a dodge and a roll had fun in W3. The people who couldn't were the same people who would blindly attack into a shield, etc.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have the worst gaming ADD ever and I still put 150+ hours into Witcher 3 without really any breaks for other games, so the combat at least wasn't enough to actively deter me from playing the game like an obsessed freak.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I thought the combat in W3 was too slow-paced. Felt like I was trying to control a sloth covered in molasses, even when I was just trying to turn around. At least Cyberpunk combat looks a lot more varied and responsive.

Also, spamming the ignis sign as the only form of ranged combat was really lame and boring.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think FPS combat is easier to get right than TPS character-action stuff, so yeah I'm not remotely worried about Cyberpunk's combat.
Especially with all the cool smart-guns and stuff they've come up with.

I guess if I was to give my character a lore background, I'm basically going to be the Laughing Man from Ghost in the Shell SAC.
Super class-A hacker who has had enough of the corporate bullshit and uses hacking to hide in plain sight and manipulate events into revealing the corruption. Just walk around in a poncho with a single pistol.

Hoping I can hack people's eyes to make myself invisible as a stealth route.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

The Gadfly posted:

Also, spamming the ignis sign as the only form of ranged combat was really lame and boring.

There were crossbows! I remember, because mine was made of a cat! Wait not it was from the cat school but you know, cats are weird - also there were bombs, like lots and lots of bombs, which are also ranged.

Honestly I think I used igni once on my magic playthru and that was the modified version that makes it a flamethrower, still didn't use it much - quen and aard or gtfo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i expect the melee combat to be bad and the shooting to be pretty good with enemies probably a little too bullet spongey

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess if I was to give my character a lore background, I'm basically going to be the Laughing Man from Ghost in the Shell SAC. Just walk around in a poncho with a single pistol.

I like it, you gonna pretend you're one of those deaf-mutes?

Gosh I hope they really do have ponchos that'd go great with my dusty nomad katana

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i expect the melee combat to be bad

Wasn't making the melee good part of the justification for the original release pushback? Please don't put this evil energy out into the universe, my Marxist Geralt clone roleplay will fall apart if I have to shoot a *deep sigh* gun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

black.lion posted:

I like it, you gonna pretend you're one of those deaf-mutes?

i expect the melee combat to be bad and the shooting to be pretty good with enemies probably a little too bullet spongey

Yeah FPS melee can be hard to get to feel good. Although, early reviewers all seemed pretty positive on melee combat. Its not just your normal click to swing, there's like slow attacks and heavy charge attacks and stuff, so they at least tried.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

black.lion posted:

Wasn't making the melee good part of the justification for the original release pushback? Please don't put this evil energy out into the universe, my Marxist Geralt clone roleplay will fall apart if I have to shoot a *deep sigh* gun

fingers crossed they got it right and it's more Mordhau than Skyrim, but it's one of those things that's super hard to get feeling good, probably especially in a game where there's rpg stat systems to take into account

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I think FPS combat is easier to get right than TPS character-action stuff, so yeah I'm not remotely worried about Cyberpunk's combat.
Especially with all the cool smart-guns and stuff they've come up with.

I guess if I was to give my character a lore background, I'm basically going to be the Laughing Man from Ghost in the Shell SAC.
Super class-A hacker who has had enough of the corporate bullshit and uses hacking to hide in plain sight and manipulate events into revealing the corruption. Just walk around in a poncho with a single pistol.

Hoping I can hack people's eyes to make myself invisible as a stealth route.

FPS combat is, FPSRPG combat is... also tricky?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

more Mordhau than Skyrim
This is a complete derail but when I saw this phrase I immediately imagined it being sung to the tune of More Human Than Human, and now it will not leave. Thought I'd doom a few innocent people to the hell that is my brain.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

black.lion posted:

There were crossbows! I remember, because mine was made of a cat! Wait not it was from the cat school but you know, cats are weird - also there were bombs, like lots and lots of bombs, which are also ranged.

Good point, I completely forgot about the crossbow. I think the damage output was so bad compared to swords that I never used it except for when I was fighting flying enemies.

I remembered the bombs, but there was a limit to how many you could carry so I thought of it more as an auxiliary item rather than a ranged weapon.

black.lion posted:

quen and aard or gtfo

:getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Yeah that's fair. Bullet-spongey enemies due to numbers not being big enough can ruin the FPS feel pretty fast (see: Destiny 1, All Borderlands)

But there should be difficulty settings right? If so that can help adjust some.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

The Gadfly posted:

Good point, I completely forgot about the crossbow. I think the damage output was so bad compared to swords that I never used it except for when I was fighting flying enemies.

I literally never used it except underwater when it mercs drowners with one bolt, and I guess if aard was on cooldown and I needed to knock something out of the sky

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is a complete derail but when I saw this phrase I immediately imagined it being sung to the tune of More Human Than Human, and now it will not leave. Thought I'd doom a few innocent people to the hell that is my brain.

Why would you do this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

wiegieman posted:

You aren't, everyone who was able to understand that there was both a dodge and a roll had fun in W3. The people who couldn't were the same people who would blindly attack into a shield, etc.
I thought the big complaint against W3 combat was that it isn't intricate enough.

Witcher 3 was my next big open world game after Skyrim, so I found the combat refreshingly nuanced compared to that.

Twobirds posted:

Fighting level 50 wolves is dumb as hell though.
I never want to fight wolves in a video game again. Not even if I'm replaying FF1

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
is release still tbd?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

is release still tbd?

Cyberpunk? Its def November 19. Just about one month out!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I'm slightly worried of the system they are using. It seems the weapons will be more inaccurate/V will handle them worse at first, and as you use them (Elder Scrolls style) you will level up in them and they will have less recoil and sway, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm slightly worried of the system they are using. It seems the weapons will be more inaccurate/V will handle them worse at first, and as you use them (Elder Scrolls style) you will level up in them and they will have less recoil and sway, etc.

That's how all FPSRPG work to some extent, right? Like Deus Ex. I guess Destiny doesn't have a stat for it, but it has tons of modifiers and addon gubbinz.

Its really a question of how viable your accuracy and damage are if you just have skills versus how much is pure "I do 10000 damage and you do 20 so I always win".

And the game has smartguns which have homing bullets so I don't think they can go and make other guns super inaccurate or everybody would just use those. And you gotta put your level up points into something eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

While you were inventing capitalism, Marx studied the blade