Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

Is there a way to swap your main freighter? Like can i have a class S to lead my fleets while my class B is just my mobile base?

If only, but no, one freighter only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Found a system with 3 different colour suns.

Think I'll set up a base here on the glitching planet.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I'm in the part where i went to an abandoned building to get the antimatter blueprint and found these things

are these similar to the whispering ones near the abandoned base, or are they safe to harvest?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

OgretailFood posted:

I'm in the part where i went to an abandoned building to get the antimatter blueprint and found these things

are these similar to the whispering ones near the abandoned base, or are they safe to harvest?

They are fine. They open up and have a glowie thing inside that sells for decent cash.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

nice, thank you! found only 7 in total but i'm totally marking this area in case they respawn.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
This game upset me today, but part of it was because of my own stupidity.

I decided to try and find a new exotic ship since I've been using my grasshopper forever.

Found an exotic without too much time, bought it but looks basically like my hopper.

Went to another system and same thing.

Had two successes so I was confident this wouldn't take too long.

Parked myself on the top of a trade post in a third system and the ship I wanted spawned! The one with the wings that fold up when you launch and down when you land.

Bought it, flew around and tried to land back in the post. I just hovered there forever....so that was a loss.

Played the reload game again and found another ship!

Unfortunately it bugged out when I tried to land. Again, I forgot to save before taking off.

Okay, can't fool me three times, game. Well guess what! I got the first two spawns in 20 minutes. I spent another 2 hours at that place and a third didn't spawn.

:negative:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vasler posted:

I decided to try and find a new exotic ship since I've been using my grasshopper forever.

Found an exotic without too much time, bought it but looks basically like my hopper.

Parked myself on the top of a trade post in a third system and the ship I wanted spawned! The one with the wings that fold up when you launch and down when you land.

Bought it, flew around and tried to land back in the post. I just hovered there forever....so that was a loss.

Unfortunately it bugged out when I tried to land. Again, I forgot to save before taking off.

Okay, can't fool me three times, game. Well guess what! I got the first two spawns in 20 minutes. I spent another 2 hours at that place and a third didn't spawn.

I think everyone's been bit by the "too excited on getting an exotic to hop in and out first" at least once, F tho

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Before you could upgrade ships classes, I spent a total of 4 hours save scumming for an S Class of the fighter that I had my eye on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I literally just found this out-- if you get stuck in the stuck-ship-landing bug, you actually can recover from it with help-- if you let a friend join your multiplayer session and they get close enough that you can trade an item to them, the game forces an autosave at that point in time, at which point you can quit and reload and still have your bugged-to-poo poo exotic.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What's with those artifact exchange terminals at the planetary archives?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do what they say on the tin. Why? Who knows

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Arghy posted:

What's with those artifact exchange terminals at the planetary archives?

Go to the map terminal at the archive and get a location for a buried artifact. Dig it up and bring it back and exchange with for an artifact worth more money. I got some that sold for 1.5 million.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m missing just a couple of raw ingredients now if anyone can help.
I’m looking for Foraged Mushrooms which the wiki says come from feeding large shelled fauna, but all I’ve got so far from them is Bone Nuggets, anyone found any Foraged Mushrooms?
The other is Fiendish Roe which the wiki says comes from monstrosities but is broken, others question that but don’t give an alternative, so anyone here know?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

Regarding freighter base building, I've been using this mod for about two weeks now and nothing has broken yet:

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1096

Some stuff is a little buggy, like you can place message nodes but can't actually leave a message (guessing this is linked to base computer proximity), but it definitely makes your freighter more of a proper base. You can build a viewing pod or underwater prefab to get a nice view of your frigate fleet, and it also expands the scale/rotate/color options for regular base parts. My main base is kind of integrated with a planetary archive where a bunch of random cranes and tanks are strewn around so I've thrown in things like giant atmospheric harvesters purely for ambience.

Been using this forever, but somehow never considered glass on the freighter. I know what I'm doing after dinner.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to re-find one of those archive buildings? Or do just have to drop a beacon there if you want to come back?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

withak posted:

Is there any way to re-find one of those archive buildings? Or do just have to drop a beacon there if you want to come back?

I just dropped a beacon on mine, it's very silly because they feel like a planetary capital they should be well marked.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thundarr posted:

That 6300 is with all crafted hyperdrive upgrades and six S class, 246-ly upgrade modules. If I'm still 1200ly short of the limit even after minmaxing the module spots, then placement matters a whole heck of a lot!

So I did some bored loving around with my freighter because I was curious and came up with some supremely dumb realizations about both "freighter modules" and "the adjacency bonus as a concept"

So first off, adjacency: it isn't "adding up all the things which are adjacent to each other and giving you a multiplier bonus based on the total"-- the adjacency bonuses are quite literally a bonus from two things which are adjacent to each other. Which is not nearly as complicated as (at least I) thought, but it does make things a bit weird. It also means your hyperdrive tech by itself is nearly useless for this but it's convenient, because it gives us a null value to extrapolate from:

Hyperdrive (0ly) next to a 50ly tech gives you a bonus of 9% of the 50ly tech: f(0, 50) = 4.5ly
Hyperdrive (0ly) next to a 800ly tech gives you a bonus of 9% of the 800ly tech: f(0, 800) = 72ly
50ly tech next to a 50ly tech gives you (9% of 50 + 9% of 50) * 1.2: f(50, 50) = 10.8ly

3 50ly techs adjacent to each other gives you f(50,50) + f(50, 50) = 21.6ly
4 50ly techs in a square gives you f(50,50) * 4 = 43.2ly

One 800ly tech next to one 300ly tech gives you f(300,800) = 118.8ly. Those two techs next to each other give you nearly triple the bonus of a 2x2 square of tech elsewhere.

So upshot? If you want to max out your freighter range, you're going to want a dedicated 3x3 with the reality de-threader in the dead center, bracket that with the 300ly warp injector and 3x of the S-rank 250-range plugins, and stick the 200 in one corner and the 50 colored drives in the other 3. That should be the largest possible total bonus of about +761.4ly total adjancency bonus, and a 4x4 leftover brick on the other page of 3x250s with the lowly actual hyperdrive tech filling out the square should add another +153ly. (This assumes I didn't miss some numbers somewhere, I don't have the S-ranks in question, yet, but the testing with the modules I do have seem to add up to "you're not getting better than that")

Unfortunately even with this in mind it probably doesn't change a whole lot in terms of most other tech, since not much else has the same volume of non-module tech to play with-- most things are already 2x2 layouts with 3 modules and whatever non-module filling it out, although it does imply you should keep your best module in that opposite corner for maximum benefit. It also might mean there's some opportunities for T and X shapes that give more of a specific benefit? but it's probably be going to hard to notice in most situations that don't dump the exact numbers to examine somewhere.

It does mean that I'm going to go rexamine my jetpack tech setup though lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Finally got an A rank 24-slot rifle multi tool this morning.

Not exactly my favorite color scheme, but after seeing nothing but pistols for the last three dozen warps... I’m just going for it.

Now I can finally settle down, kit out my MT and actually focus on the game!

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Protocol7 posted:

Finally got an A rank 24-slot rifle multi tool this morning.

Not exactly my favorite color scheme, but after seeing nothing but pistols for the last three dozen warps... I’m just going for it.

If you find a S or A rank station but don’t like the multi tool, go land and reload your save on a planet. Each station has a pool of possible models so you can check the other options.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snack Bitch posted:

If you find a S or A rank station but don’t like the multi tool, go land and reload your save on a planet. Each station has a pool of possible models so you can check the other options.

I did figure this out but I also want to reach the Galactic center, so my strategy has been to warp in, check the station, warp in the Anomaly and check that (about 50/50 chance it shares the model with the station tool in my experience), and unless there's a planet with Ancient Bones or something worthwhile I just move on.

I figured with the 250+ galaxies and countless solar systems that I'll find the one eventually...

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 13, 2020

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vasler posted:

just blows my mind that still, after all these years, getting in your ship doesn't trigger an autosave.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Muscle Tracer posted:

just blows my mind that still, after all these years, getting in your ship doesn't trigger an autosave.

I made that mistake once! Had a brain fart, accidentally just deleted a 1.5mil worth relic. I had just jumped in my ship, so I'll reload my autosave!

... :suicide:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Protocol7 posted:

not so fast buster, you also need a good ship, good freighter, good frigate fleet, good planetary base, a bunch of money, loads of nanites, and a maxed out inventory

THEN you can start the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

not so fast buster, you also need a good ship, good freighter, good frigate fleet, good planetary base, a bunch of money, loads of nanites, and a maxed out inventory

so I've pretty much reached this point and uh

what do I... do now

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I've got the ship, at least, and the inventory almost done! I finally finished upgrading all the exosuit inventory aside from the cargo inventory, which I now realize is pretty drat expensive to upgrade.

This is my favorite style of fighter, and it auto-generated with a badass name, "The Mirror of the Abyss":

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so I've pretty much reached this point and uh

what do I... do now
Do what I do and do (some of) that stuff again because you found a ship (or multi-tool) that looks slightly cooler than one of your current ships (or multi-tool) so you gotta do all the upgrades again.

I'm also doing a grand sightseeing tour of Euclid that began at my starter system at the Eastern edge. Heading for the core one 6.3kLY jump at a time at the moment. The plan is to zip to the next galaxy just to say I got there on my own and then pop back to Euclid to continue the tour to the Western edge.

Hyperactive fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 13, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Did a manufacturing facility because there was a storm and i needed a safe place.
Since I have all my recipes i was wondering what it would give.

It gave me a freighter consumable recipe (I havent unlocked any of those yet).
Wonder if I can unlock them all that way instead of with frigate modules or whatever.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

the ultimate lol about this game is that if you want to do the thing it advertises on the tin, namely just explore the universe, you can actually do a pretty fine job of that in the starter ship. launch fuel and hyperdrive fuel aren't that expensive, and all those hundreds of squares of inventory space don't enhance the exploration experience much at all. all that other stuff is nice if you want it, but it's technically all tangential to the core gameplay loop.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I did some bored loving around with my freighter because I was curious and came up with some supremely dumb realizations about both "freighter modules" and "the adjacency bonus as a concept"

Looks like this is exactly correct. Based on those ideas I was able to get sightly more range out of my explorer ship and freighter, to 2697.8 and 6332.7 respectively. I think that puts the absolutely maximum possible freighter range at 6355 ly or just barely under it if you have six 250ly upgrade modules.

The main thing is to always have the part with the biggest bonus in the middle of the block, and the part with the smallest bonus (usually the core part itself) on the edge.

E: that's a lie, it's actually possible to hit 6374-5 ly. But this can ONLY be done with a block of 3 S rank upgrades + the hyperdrive unit itself on the tech tab, which means you won't be able to max out one of the fleet bonuses.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 13, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

OgNar posted:

Did a manufacturing facility because there was a storm and i needed a safe place.

Wonder if I can unlock them all that way instead of with frigate modules or whatever.

WHAT

I'm going to have to try that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Muscle Tracer posted:

the ultimate lol about this game is that if you want to do the thing it advertises on the tin, namely just explore the universe, you can actually do a pretty fine job of that in the starter ship. launch fuel and hyperdrive fuel aren't that expensive, and all those hundreds of squares of inventory space don't enhance the exploration experience much at all. all that other stuff is nice if you want it, but it's technically all tangential to the core gameplay loop.

you say this like my lizard brain responds to reason

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

I mean you can get a lot more frigate modules than factory override units in a short period of time if you don't mind pirating, a quick pulse jump in a random direction and a bunch of frigates will show up about 5 seconds later as if to cry "please, pirate us, we have so many frigate modules we're throwing them out the windows"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

you say this like my lizard brain responds to reason

i'm just glad that i got my five billion credits through an item duping glitch years ago, so my lizard brain can skip the rat race and just hammer that dopamine button

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Are there any guides to the ByteBeat advanced waveform generator? The melody and sequencer tabs are very straightforward but I have no clue what the mathematical and logical operators mean in the context of a waveform, let alone the various branching/chaining/numerical offsets.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

Are there any guides to the ByteBeat advanced waveform generator? The melody and sequencer tabs are very straightforward but I have no clue what the mathematical and logical operators mean in the context of a waveform, let alone the various branching/chaining/numerical offsets.

I've been looking for one but all Google wants to give me are reaction vids from the first day it came out. Hell I don't even know how to add or remove operators, just change the ones that are already there.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Captain France posted:

Been using this forever, but somehow never considered glass on the freighter. I know what I'm doing after dinner.
Another fun thing you can do with this mod is rotate decals in three dimensions, and while the viewing angles can get a little janky, it enables neat touches like using the edge of a Vy'keen decal to put a nice authentic blood spatter on your sickbay operating table.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Did my first warp jump, found a planetary archive on the first planet I landed on and got this bug-looking ship, the pink coloration makes it even better :swoon:

Still a Class C :v:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Just wait around for a while in different trade hubs or the station and it'll appear as a better class

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

And luckily even S class explorers are super cheap so it shouldn't set you back too much to trade up when a better version of it lands.

Well, it'd still have a 7 digit price tag so if you only just started, note the system name and come back later once you've got a few more units rolling around in your wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah class can always be upgraded and that color scheme owns.