Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
We're in that boat with our cat. He's not that old, but lately he's been really not moving much. I worry he's in pain and I'm not seeing it. I took him to the vet and he got some inflammatory issues and some concerning blood results; the vet isn't sure, but it might be leukemia or some other cancer. We have done follow up testing next month. On the one hand he looks okay, if a little sedentary, so I feel like I'm contemplating murdering my cat for no reason. On the other, if he's in pain I don't want that to continue because I promised myself I wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Last year we had to put down our German Shepherd, Spyder. She had valley fever loving horribly bad in her shoulders/front legs, and while the vet said amputation might work, it wouldn't help her much. She was an old dog, had problems getting around, and I had to loving carry her into the car, and then down and out at the vet's office. We had her for about 10 years, but she was an adult rescue, so we have no idea of her real age.

Maybe it's because we've lost so many over the years; it never hurts any less, but part of me, a part I almost consider the serial killer/sociopath part, says: Animal is in pain, nature won't let her go, so you have to.

lovely Today Because: Very tired but can't sleep. Also my period is on the way, and I just want to tear everything in regards to that out, because I don't want to have kids, and would rather deal with menopause than this poo poo every month.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, they identified what made my mom deathly ill, she has sepsis. She'll be in the hospital for another 4+ days I think, and they're putting her on some really strong antibiotics, but it's at least a far more treatable condition than covid. it still could have easily killed her though, a similar thing happened a few years ago where she went into septic shock from an infection and she was deathly pale and cold to the touch when I found her in bed one day, had to rush her to the ER and they straight up told me she wouldn't have made it if we'd been a couple hours later. poo poo's scary.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got very lucky with my prior cats - no suffering (that I was there for), just sudden deaths, one from a liver infection while I was away, and one more recently who just kind of collapsed in the kitchen and due to the timing we couldn't call a vet til the next morning and by then she'd died. We never found out exactly what happened with the second one, obviously something important just failed.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I had covid-19 in April, didn't need hospitalization or anything.

I have covid-19 again, began Sept 29th. It is so mild that I barely can tell I'm sick, but I still have to quarantine for two weeks. Hopefully, it will not last 25 days, like the last time.

Bah, humbug!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Captain Invictus posted:

I just took mom to the hospital. she's been tested, waiting on the results, but she has pneumonia in both lungs and a blood oxygen level of 80ish, which is horrific. it's probably covid. She's been admitted. I'm not allowed to see her.

I don't know what to do.

I don't know what to do.

I don't know what to do.

I probably got it from one of the covid-deniers at work despite doing everything I could to avoid them, with a mask and face shield to boot. And then she probably got it from me, though I'm still waiting on a test appointment to find out if I actually have it or not. The nurse told me I wouldn't be able to visit my mom until either she is cleared of having covid or she's on her deathbed. My little sister was murdered in a really horrific way. I don't want to lose my mom at my age, and only have my dad left. I don't know what I'll do, I care about her more than anyone I have left, and despite everything I did to prevent it, I might have gotten her sick with something that will kill her. I just hope her getting in the hospital soon enough helps her survive it. I hope, I hope, I hope.

I want every single covid-denying mask-scoffer to drop dead.

gently caress COVID deniers. I mean, thank god it wasn’t COVID but the point still stands.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I told two elderly coworkers of mine who I worked with for years and are work buddies with, that they should get the covid vaccine as soon as a stable one is found, not the first one because it might be faulty.

Both of them, I have now discovered, are antivaxxers.

I hate this country.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hear more about how the economy is dying and how "it's okay if young people get it because they recover fast" than anything about loving WEARING YOUR MASKS STILL. How AZ is rebounding but unless we bail out the hotels and airlines and everyone soon, it's gonna be horrible!

gently caress your loving businesses! You already pay little to no loving taxes, I bet your CEOs got loving raises this year, and you want more loving money as you furlough more people?

My mom doesn't hate Trump but keeps hinting how Biden's VP pick said to kill all cops so she can't possibly vote for Biden because "you know if he wins, she'll have him killed right off." Any time I mention the poo poo Trump has done, she goes off about people disrespecting the police and how it's all Obama's fault, somehow?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Unpaid week-long furlough starts Monday, also different shift co-worker currently getting tested for Covid.

FUN TIMES! :suicide:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
My luck is so bad if it was raining pussy - I would get hit with a dick.

About two months ago I met a beautiful young 23 year old blonde named Jane. For reference on how great that is - im 35. She's a friend of a friend. After we met, my mate told me she was digging on me and I should go for it. I did, and things went splendidly.
For 2 months, I lived the life I've always dreamed of. Every week she would come over, we'd Netflix and chill, have sex, then drive her home. We laughed, we cuddled, we were ourselves, and it was just so much fun with such a hot girl. I could not believe my luck I actually found a girl that wanted to just hookup and not be in a relationship. To make it even better, she's smoking hot and 13 years younger than me - jackpot!

Then this past weekend I get a call from my friend. It turns out she's in the hospital. She had a kidney transplant years ago from a allergic reaction to some medication, and the kidney failed. She had to go on dialysis, get admitted to the ICU, and was in a coma for 4 days.
She's doing much better now, but things won't be the same again. She's probably going to have to move home to recover which is back in Missouri. I went to visit her last week, and it was really bittersweet and sad to see her in that shape.
The great news is it seems like she's going to recover, not need to be on dialysis, and just take meds once she is fully recovered. That could be months from now.

I just can't believe my loving guarantee life's given me to take away all the great things it gives me as soon as I start to love them. This sucks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The seasonal depression has decided to kick in early and hard this year.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Just found out a nice old guy I used to smoke weed with years ago got beaten to death with a hammer by his landlord. It apparently happened a month and a half ago but the police waited to release his name because they wanted to wait until they talked to his family first.

He didn't have any family though :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well my situation with my dog got worse.

I started to make her wear diapers because despite 13 years she still has behavioral issues and separation anxiety that was ruining my floors/couch. Literally the first time I go out for more than fifteen minutes to work, she hurts her leg severely trying to get them off.

My roommate was in VetMed and I have her on a Banfield plan so we got her seen and on gabapentin right away, but we're waiting to decide on the X-Ray and it looks very certain that she'll need one. At this point the best-case scenario is hoping that she just dislocated her kneecap and that it can be set right with mild sedation. In actuality I suspect the vet's going to want her cut open to make sure her CCL (equivalent to ACL) isn't torn and treat it if it is...

The dog is 13 and I legitimately can't afford that level of care. Am I wrong for thinking she'd be better off put down? How do I even advocate for that without coming across like a selfish monster? It's not like I want her put down. This dog saved me from suicide on multiple occasions, giving me something to live for in my darkest and loneliest moments. I just... I don't see her having much quality of life going forward. She'll still be in diapers, she'll still have to deal with me leaving her alone, only now even with surgery she'll have severely reduced mobility. Is it wrong to just want to make it simple? God I feel so loving guilty right now.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Oct 5, 2020

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Well my situation with my dog got worse.

Thirteen years of trying shows you aren’t just being selfish. Making the decision to euthanize her may be the kindest thing you can do for her.

If you talk to the vet about how her mental state is not getting better and how her QoL is degrading, leading to this injury, they may be willing to do it.

I’m sorry about your dog, it’s a hard situation for sure. :(

Joburg has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Oct 5, 2020

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I'm living with my boomer parents. I have been doing census and trying my as best I could to mask in public. I got sick last week, been sick for the week, and got tested for covid. I'm supposed to be self isolating as best as I can, as I wait to hear results. My dad refuses to even think I'm actually sick, and keeps asking me to do things around the house. Like construction, auto repair, runs to town for supplies. I've been up and down in fever, a persistent cough, am diabetic, overweight. I stopped wearing a mask around the house. My mom is sick. I hope he gets it and I have covid. gently caress these people.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had to have emergency construction done on my house that out me out for three weeks.

I was stuck in a hotel room with my fiance the whole time. A small room in a pandemic. She worked so I had headphones in the whole time.

I had to drain my PTO because I wasn't sure if the wifi would be stable and circumstances were such that I couldn't revoke my request.

So, no winter vacation for my birthday.
Instead I got three weeks in a stuffy room without so much as a decent laptop to keep me busy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Can my internet connection be, like, just up or down, or at the very least give me a sign of what's going on? Computer says the connection is fine, router lights are on, but total coinflip on if I can actually connect to a website or not. Oh, and the coin flips every 5-10 minutes on an independent timer for everything that needs the internet. (website works! Steam doesn't! Wait, now it's the opposite! Wait, both work! Wait, no, neither do!)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Joburg posted:

Thirteen years of trying shows you aren’t just being selfish. Making the decision to euthanize her may be the kindest thing you can do for her.

If you talk to the vet about how her mental state is not getting better and how her QoL is degrading, leading to this injury, they may be willing to do it.

I’m sorry about your dog, it’s a hard situation for sure. :(

Thank you. The support and actual counsel about this means a lot. I love my roommate but I can't broach the subject with her because to her mind I just... have the money for surgery tucked away I guess? I can't even get CareCredit. The worst part is that I was rereading the terms of the Banfield plan-- even if I euthanized her, I'd still owe the company $50 a month until next May when the plan renews. They are very clear that death doesn't end that contract.

I just want my girl to not hurt. That's literally it.

MisterBibs posted:

Can my internet connection be, like, just up or down, or at the very least give me a sign of what's going on? Computer says the connection is fine, router lights are on, but total coinflip on if I can actually connect to a website or not. Oh, and the coin flips every 5-10 minutes on an independent timer for everything that needs the internet. (website works! Steam doesn't! Wait, now it's the opposite! Wait, both work! Wait, no, neither do!)

This is also a mood. Our connection crapped out because it was installed poorly last Wednesday. We got someone out on Friday to fix it, but now I'm getting 1/10th of the speed. Despite the router reporting the speeds it's rated for and other wifi devices getting what they're supposed to, my ethernet connection is crap. I bought a new cable, did a fresh install of Windows 10 and updated all drivers, and manually configured the ethernet port to be rated... and got it up to a whopping 1/5th of the speed I'm paying for. Plus now my CPU is chugging for no discernable reason other than "it's old" despite it working fine literally three days ago, and I am ready to scream.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Oct 5, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My girlfriend absolutely destroyed a light fixture in my house while trying to change a bulb and doesn't want to fix it because

1. it's not her house
2. the fixture was old and probably would've broken next time anyone touched it
3. "I was trying to be helpful"

Goddamn Truckasaurus handed woman breaks everything all the time I swear to god

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got ready and gathered up things to sell and all that, plopped down ready to make a bunch of listings. then the power went out from the high winds and hasn't come back on, so I'm just sitting here in the dark doing meaningless small tasks instead of getting my work done. Goddamn cartoonish timing

Edit: lmao I took a nap since I heard it would be a couple hours before the power was restored. It got restored 20 minutes before I woke up, and I had just enough time to turn my computer on, reset the wifi, heat up some food, and look out the window to see a massive gust of wind bitchslap a tree in my backyard over and the power go out again. So here I am complaining in the dark once more. Brilliant.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Oct 7, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hours got cut from 40 to 32 with no warning, which with my pay and being overnight is almost $100 off my paycheck.

However, they're about to learn two very important facts.

1) I wasn't telling them when they'd scheduled me and another person off for the same night (which is not supposed to happen) out of the goodness of my heart. I did it because it makes my life easier.

2) I am perfectly willing to make my life more difficult for the sake of being a petty dick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my internet only just got restored after the windstorm yesterday afternoon, and now I've got to rush to get a bunch of poo poo shipped that I was going to get done last night.

turns out we've had an extremely obsolete internet box in the basement with a battery backup they haven't used in years, and they just never came to replace it. now that it's been replaced, hopefully we won't have any more of these instances where the power goes out for a short period but the internet stays off forever until verizon gives it the go-ahead.

also while checking the external cable box, I discovered some oriental bittersweet has taken root and started crawling up the side of the house, the loving poo poo. god I hate that poo poo. I hate it so much. doesn't matter how much I kill, it starts to regroup within days, and it's choking the poo poo out of the forest behind my house too.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I hate my weeb girlfriend so loving much right now. anime. venture brothers. awful. Its all loving garbage

twitter too. Trash.

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Oct 8, 2020

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My hedgehog Urchin might have hedgehog wobbly leg syndrome. There is no medicine. There is no cure. He will eventually not be able to move his back legs, then all legs will be paralyzed. He doesn't run on his wheel anymore. At most, we have about a year. At least, a week or more.

One of my snakes fell yesterday (or the night before) and landed badly on a branch in her cage, and she has a nice inch gash on her underside. You cannot bandage a snake, so I got some skin sealant and had to set her up a tiny papertowel covered tote to live in for a while.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

My hedgehog Urchin might have hedgehog wobbly leg syndrome. There is no medicine. There is no cure. He will eventually not be able to move his back legs, then all legs will be paralyzed. He doesn't run on his wheel anymore. At most, we have about a year. At least, a week or more.

One of my snakes fell yesterday (or the night before) and landed badly on a branch in her cage, and she has a nice inch gash on her underside. You cannot bandage a snake, so I got some skin sealant and had to set her up a tiny papertowel covered tote to live in for a while.

I am sorry to hear about these. You are a good owner and they are lucky to have you.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rainbow Knight posted:

I hate my weeb girlfriend so loving much right now. anime. venture brothers. awful. Its all loving garbage

twitter too. Trash.

Venture Brothers is good idk what to tell you

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Hedrigall posted:

Venture Brothers is good idk what to tell you

just tell me that i'm right :mad:

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018

Rainbow Knight posted:

just tell me that i'm right :mad:

You're right

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Can it be the last month? Because the last month has loving sucked.

At about this time (12:45) on the morning of September 8 - I'd stayed up late after Labor Day - I got dizzy because my blood pressure medication dropped me too far, lost my balance, and broke my leg in three places as I fell. (This is in addition to the kidney failure I was diagnosed with in June.)

Because of that, I'm trapped in my house, which is a couple steps up from the ground; getting a ramp put in would be thousands of dollars that I don't have. My dogs aren't allowed in the house, so they're in tethers on the yard - and I can't go spend time with them like I've been accustomed to because going up and down stairs is treacherous and because if they wrap themselves around my crutches/wheelchair I'll be trapped with no recourse and might injure myself further. I also have trouble cooking and cleaning, because I can't reach the stove easily and don't have a broom or vacuum I can use easily. I could buy a short-handle broom and long-handle dustpan, but...

...because of my repeated hospital visits and incapacitation, I've most most of my employment, so I don't really have any income and am relying on savings to get me through until I can get a new job that I can do from home because a) COVID and b) I can't leave my house.

And to top it all off, I lost a long-term relationship last week because of a stupid misunderstanding that they refused to correct.

I'm so tired, you guys. I'm trying to be optimistic but things just keep getting worse and I don't know what to do.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Farten Barfen posted:

You're right

:hai:

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Edit: misread

Edit edit:

Biplane posted:

Never anime.

Farten Barfen has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Oct 9, 2020

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Never anime.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was leaving Costco today and my car died. Like, still in drive, and driving, and just stopped in the middle of a busy road. I hit the flashers right off, tried to restart it a few times before calming down, and then it suddenly started and got me the 8-9 miles home. But now I'm terrified to go out before I hit the mechanic's tomorrow, and they're only open for a few hours, but I got an appointment. Fingers crossed.

This morning my mom had a meltdown worthy of a spoiled toddler, screaming "gently caress this gently caress you" at the top of her lungs, for about ten minutes, while her work computer froze, and the front door was open so all the kids walking to school hear her shrieking and throwing things before she calmed down enough to yell for me to come help her. After getting home from Costco, I found her still in a super angry mood and snapping how she hates her job and wants to quit. I seriously hope weed becomes legal here soon, because I will simply dose her loving coffee every morning.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well the good side is that my dog has begun to get on the mend, so probably no euthanasia.

The bad side was that my entire afternoon got eaten by another lovely Banfield. My roommate recommended me get the Health Plan and while I don't blame her because she hasn't worked there in 5 years, in the past 1.5 years I've had nothing but the same types of bad experiences with them and I strongly recommend everyone avoid them as a chain.

Like if you get their Health Plan and you truly don't want to do anything that's outside of the box on said Health Plans-- just go in a few times a year for vaccines, bloodwork, and a dental cleaning-- you're fine. They're perfectly good at that.

But if you need literally anything like "build a relationship with a doctor" or "ask for pharmacology recommendations for long-term management of symptoms" or really reasonable things like "the front desk takes notes on your information and files it so the staff has up-to-date information on your case" and "not get hassled with upsells for tests/products you don't need" then you're poo poo out of luck. I'm stuck on this plan until May but I am absolutely not reupping when the time comes. Until then I'm going to make as many appointments as possible and loving force them to treat my dog right out of raw attrition.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My stomach has been bothering me since yesterday morning, have the ol' "hefty burps every 20-30 seconds" sort of thing. Probably food poisoning, though I don't know what, might have been the pizza I had yesterday. It's less terrible now than before, but it's constant and super annoying, I hope it goes away soon.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
My cat had a stroke a couple days ago. the vet said he's doing as well as could be expected and seemed positive about his recovery. But it's just stressful watching him not really wanna move cuz he's dizzy/unbalanced and not be his usual playful self or not pounce on us for cuddling.

He was the first major decision my wife and I made when we moved in together in 2012 so he just means a lot to both of us, and I just want the little guy to be ok :(

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My cpap is malfunctioning in some way, to the point that it seems like I'm swallowing more air than I'm breathing. This is intensely uncomfortable. Also one of my ears has randomly decided 'lol we gonna need to pop but never actually be able to; have fun with that!'

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Skypie posted:

My cat had a stroke a couple days ago. the vet said he's doing as well as could be expected and seemed positive about his recovery. But it's just stressful watching him not really wanna move cuz he's dizzy/unbalanced and not be his usual playful self or not pounce on us for cuddling.

He was the first major decision my wife and I made when we moved in together in 2012 so he just means a lot to both of us, and I just want the little guy to be ok :(

Had that happen twice to two different cats. First one, 7-8 years old, had a bad time with the dizzyness (also was semi-feral and did not trust people) but recovered perfectly. She's now 17 and still strong.

Second one was 17 too and got them badly (probably from a brain tumor, the vet said) but it took four different episodes spaced two months to finally get her brain way too damaged to operate. Despite being old, blind and sick she recovered from the first three and was able to walk straight in a matter of days.

It is not so bad a condition in cats as it is on people. They bounce back from it. So fingers crossed for your kitty and stay strong, he'll probably be better in no time. Though most of the time it just happens and there's no real cause (again, vet words) take note if the episodies repeat, tho, there may be an underlying cause that you want to investigate.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Jiru posted:

Had that happen twice to two different cats. First one, 7-8 years old, had a bad time with the dizzyness (also was semi-feral and did not trust people) but recovered perfectly. She's now 17 and still strong.

Second one was 17 too and got them badly (probably from a brain tumor, the vet said) but it took four different episodes spaced two months to finally get her brain way too damaged to operate. Despite being old, blind and sick she recovered from the first three and was able to walk straight in a matter of days.

It is not so bad a condition in cats as it is on people. They bounce back from it. So fingers crossed for your kitty and stay strong, he'll probably be better in no time. Though most of the time it just happens and there's no real cause (again, vet words) take note if the episodies repeat, tho, there may be an underlying cause that you want to investigate.

Yeah, ours is a little over 8 years old. He's healthy, if a little chunky, so they recommended putting him on a diet. Otherwise, they said the big thing they found is that the walls of his heart are thicker than normal so his heart has to beat faster/harder to move blood. Vet said this incident may very well have been a blessing in disguise cuz it means they found the heart murmur/failure and can treat it versus him having a much more major problem down the road cuz nobody knew about the heart defect.

It's just kinda stressful, but I'm just glad my wife was home when it happened so we could get him treated immediately. And that she's able to stay home with him so she can keep an eye on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been throwing up every 20-30 minutes since the last post, been trying to keep even water down but that's difficult. This super sucks. Hopefully it goes away in the next 12 hours.