Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SubG posted:

I don't know about chicken sausages, but the flavour profile of most American commercial heat-and-eat/fast food/whatever breakfast sausage is sage+thyme+coriander, with a bunch of MSG.

There are a lot of other sausage flavour profiles, but if you're thinking Jimmy Dean, McFood breakfast sandwiches, and that kind of breakfast sausage, it's sage, thyme, and coriander. Plus red pepper if it's spicy, maple if it's maple, and so on. And a bunch of MSG.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to buy an InstantPot. If I'm honest with myself, I'll probably end up using it primarily for hard-boiled eggs, maybe making some vegetables in an easy way. I'm browsing through the ones on Prime Day sale; are any particular models to be avoided, or are they all pretty reliable?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Definitely get at least the 6 quart, the 3 quart would be way too limiting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Definitely get at least the 6 quart, the 3 quart would be way too limiting.
Sounds like the Duo Nova for $100 is the way to go, then. Thank you.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
How are you planning on cooking vegetables with an instant pot? I would worry that anything with pressure is going to turn most veggies to mush, and anything that isn't pressure is basically a normal saucepan with extra steps.

In my experience the Instant Pot, despite being technically capable of doing tons of things, is really mostly useful as a pressure cooker, and maybe for something like yogurt if you're going to do that (if you're going to do yogurt, buy an extra sealing ring unless you enjoy yogurt that tastes like the last stew you made).

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 13, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It’s fine for steaming vegetables, idk if it’s faster than doing it on stovetop but importantly it’s repeatable with a timer if you sometimes have problems over or undercooking steamed veggies.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking to buy an InstantPot. If I'm honest with myself, I'll probably end up using it primarily for hard-boiled eggs, maybe making some vegetables in an easy way. I'm browsing through the ones on Prime Day sale; are any particular models to be avoided, or are they all pretty reliable?

If you're looking for a hard boiled egg gadget, you can get one way cheaper. Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Rapid-Egg-Cooker-Scrambled/dp/B00DDXYC6O

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

It’s fine for steaming vegetables, idk if it’s faster than doing it on stovetop but importantly it’s repeatable with a timer if you sometimes have problems over or undercooking steamed veggies.
This is absolutely what I'm looking for. I don't like having to sit and monitor things on a stove, I want something that I can just set and forget. I am not someone who likes cooking, but I am trying to do more of it in the laziest ways possible (slow-cooker-type stuff). Not particularly concerned with speed, just effort.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Thanatosian posted:

This is absolutely what I'm looking for. I don't like having to sit and monitor things on a stove, I want something that I can just set and forget. I am not someone who likes cooking, but I am trying to do more of it in the laziest ways possible (slow-cooker-type stuff). Not particularly concerned with speed, just effort.

If you're not using it already, you should look into sous vide. It's the only way I know of where you can cook a steak while you take a nap.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah with an instant pot you can just put a cup of water and whatever veg you want steamed into it then turn it on for 2 minutes on high pressure whenever you’re ~20 minutes from eating time. I don’t use mine for this purpose much but it’s drat useful on thanksgiving when stovetop and pots are at a premium.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

If you're not using it already, you should look into sous vide. It's the only way I know of where you can cook a steak while you take a nap.
This is a good suggestion, cancelling the order for the Duo Nova and getting the air fryer one instead (since it does sous vide).

Lawnie posted:

Yeah with an instant pot you can just put a cup of water and whatever veg you want steamed into it then turn it on for 2 minutes on high pressure whenever you’re ~20 minutes from eating time. I don’t use mine for this purpose much but it’s drat useful on thanksgiving when stovetop and pots are at a premium.
My typical "cooked" meal is a bowl of rice mixed with either lentils and hot sauce, or canned tuna and sriracha mayonnaise, either of which could benefit from some steamed vegetables I feel like, but I'll never loving make them if I have to crack out the stove to do it.

I live and die by the rice cooker, and this seems like a good "rice cooker but for more stuff" option.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 13, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I should have mentioned rice cooker, that is also a definite legit use of an instant pot (particularly brown rice which takes forever and is a pain in the rear end on the stove). If you already have a dedicated one though, that will definitely outperform the instant pot.

I'm definitely not saying you couldn't cook vegetables, I'm just saying if that's the ONLY use you're getting out of it, an egg timer and a bamboo steamer or a steam insert will work just as well and be way cheaper.

But in general, it sounds like you should probably go for it anyway, if you want to do slow-cooker type things doing them under pressure is faster and almost always better, and you can definitely pull off things like jambalaya or chili or things like that by throwing a bunch of things in the pot and pressing a button.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

enki42 posted:

I should have mentioned rice cooker, that is also a definite legit use of an instant pot (particularly brown rice which takes forever and is a pain in the rear end on the stove). If you already have a dedicated one though, that will definitely outperform the instant pot.

I'm definitely not saying you couldn't cook vegetables, I'm just saying if that's the ONLY use you're getting out of it, an egg timer and a bamboo steamer or a steam insert will work just as well and be way cheaper.

But in general, it sounds like you should probably go for it anyway, if you want to do slow-cooker type things doing them under pressure is faster and almost always better, and you can definitely pull off things like jambalaya or chili or things like that by throwing a bunch of things in the pot and pressing a button.
I don't use the rice cooker for steaming vegetables, because I'm almost always using it for rice. This will be a good other thing to have. Plus the egg stuff.

I have more money than space, so getting the egg boiler/vegetable steamer in one is worth dropping double/triple the amount that they would be separately. My apartment is tiny, and counter space is very limited.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am tired of greasy oily fatty foie gras, and this might be the last time I eat it.

What can I do with it that doesn’t feel like eating a stick of pan fried butter

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
Guys, through a bunch of therapy and drugs, I unrepressed the memory that my parents used to steam brussel sprouts and try to feed them to their entire family.

No seasoning.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lotron posted:

Guys, through a bunch of therapy and drugs, I unrepressed the memory that my parents used to steam brussel sprouts and try to feed them to their entire family.

No seasoning.

Assuming you're not in your mid 20's or younger, there's also a decent chance that the brussel sprouts you had as a kid were the old type that tasted lousy to begin with.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/10/30/773457637/from-culinary-dud-to-stud-how-dutch-plant-breeders-built-our-brussels-sprouts-bo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

Send it to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Instant pot steams the poo poo out of vegetables, which usually isn't what you want. The only vegetables I use it for are beets and potatoes, stuff that big and dense. If you just want a quick, reliable, hands-off way to steam vegetables, you probably already have a microwave.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Steve Yun posted:

I am tired of greasy oily fatty foie gras, and this might be the last time I eat it.

This doesn’t sound like any of my extensive experience with foie gras, adjectives usually include ‘ethereal’ and ‘evanescent’.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I long for the day when I am tired of foie gras.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Instant pot steams the poo poo out of vegetables, which usually isn't what you want. The only vegetables I use it for are beets and potatoes, stuff that big and dense. If you just want a quick, reliable, hands-off way to steam vegetables, you probably already have a microwave.

I don’t usually use it for vegetables but I’ve had perfectly fine results with steaming green beans in my instant pot. you do have to be careful to only let more delicate veggies go for less than 5 minutes at pressure and then manually release. Otherwise yeah, you’re gonna have mush due to carryover.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Doesn't getting it up to pressure sort of kill any convenience benefit? Mine takes like 5-10 minutes to get to pressure and then another 2-3 minutes to release. I guess that's for stews and stuff though so the increased volume of stuff in the pot is probably a factor. I'll give it a try sometime, but I really only boil green beans for 3 minutes on the stovetop, it seems like 2-3 minutes at pressure would be way overcooked.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

enki42 posted:

Doesn't getting it up to pressure sort of kill any convenience benefit? Mine takes like 5-10 minutes to get to pressure and then another 2-3 minutes to release. I guess that's for stews and stuff though so the increased volume of stuff in the pot is probably a factor. I'll give it a try sometime, but I really only boil green beans for 3 minutes on the stovetop, it seems like 2-3 minutes at pressure would be way overcooked.

2 minutes at pressure is still 33% shorter than your stovetop time. I’m not saying that’s a meaningful amount of time to save but it’s significant in terms of “how much heat gets transferred from start to finish of cooking.” Speaking from experience it can be easy to overkill them if you don’t manually release the pressure or let them go a minute or two too long.

E: wrt to ramp-up time, since you’re using the minimum amount of water required it comes to pressure about as fast as it reasonably can.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
op can probably steam veg during rice cooking but imo an instant pot just for that is overkill. by all means get an instant pot (because they're great) but steaming veg on the stove is incredibly easy to time correctly and steamer baskets are 5 bucks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

op can probably steam veg during rice cooking but imo an instant pot just for that is overkill. by all means get an instant pot (because they're great) but steaming veg on the stove is incredibly easy to time correctly and steamer baskets are 5 bucks.

It’s easy to time correctly if you are in the kitchen with it and know when the water boils and how long it’s been in there to steam. If you’re forgetful or inexperienced, taking away that guesswork can make you feel more confident in cooking fresh veggies.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's where the microwave, an appliance 95% of people already have, really shines.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
But what if you want melted butter with your fresh hot steamed vegetables? :colbert:

I don’t know why I’m defending this object so much, mine basically gets used to make stock, squash, and occasionally rice and nothing more.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I can’t relate, but have you tried searing it on a pan?
Citrus would probably pair well and cut through the greasiness. Maybe a bitter orange compote or jam as topping?

E: I’m eating foie gras this weekend now, thank you for reminding me of this wonderful food.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

We got an instant pot as a present and it only comes out of the closet to make yogurt. We don't have a microwave or a tv either :goonsay:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Beans, y'all

My instant pot has paid for itself in delicious beans

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

Beans, y'all

Are we talking like dry black beans? My roommate has one beans & rice a few times, it's pretty loving good.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

Beans, y'all

Yeah, the IP is clutch for the Bean game.

I also use it a lot for quick, week night staples. Like tonight I’ll be tossing brats, apples, and kraut into the IP and we will have enough of that for two days of left overs.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Scientastic posted:

I long for the day when I am tired of foie gras.

lmao seriously. I've had it maybe three times in my life

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's time for me to make my annual Christmas puddings! This is frequently difficult for me because I am an American and this country frequently does not make it easy for me to get the things the recipe calls for.

This year, it's currants! None of the local grocery stores carry them any longer.

Is there a good place online to buy currants and have them delivered to me other than the obvious Amazon? Is nuts.com trustworthy and good?

(In other news, is there a reliable source of suet on this side of the Atlantic other than "order it off Amazon.co.uk" or "drive 45 minutes to a butcher who will give me some"?)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

It's time for me to make my annual Christmas puddings! This is frequently difficult for me because I am an American and this country frequently does not make it easy for me to get the things the recipe calls for.

This year, it's currants! None of the local grocery stores carry them any longer.

Is there a good place online to buy currants and have them delivered to me other than the obvious Amazon? Is nuts.com trustworthy and good?

(In other news, is there a reliable source of suet on this side of the Atlantic other than "order it off Amazon.co.uk" or "drive 45 minutes to a butcher who will give me some"?)

I've historically had good luck with nuts.com. Their stuff is generally fresh and of good quality.

Suet - drive to a butcher. It's also worth asking at the butcher's case at the grocery store. A lot of that stuff they might actually have, but don't put out unless you ask for it. I've had good luck getting natural casing, tallow, kidneys, and other stuff by just chatting up the guy behind the counter.

As an aside: Are you married to the currants idea? Depending on where you are in the US, there's lots of different local dried fruits. Why not put a "local" flourish on your puddings?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Weltlich posted:

I've historically had good luck with nuts.com. Their stuff is generally fresh and of good quality.

This is good to know.

quote:

Suet - drive to a butcher. It's also worth asking at the butcher's case at the grocery store. A lot of that stuff they might actually have, but don't put out unless you ask for it. I've had good luck getting natural casing, tallow, kidneys, and other stuff by just chatting up the guy behind the counter.

This is what I've historically done, because the butcher actually has it. Everybody at a local grocery store has either said "what is suet?" or told me that all their suet is promised to a wholesaler and not available for customers.

The boxed suet I ordered from England appears to make absolutely no difference in taste or texture and also doesn't require me to carefully time when I'm going to make the pudding so that I can ask them to save some the day before, but there is something to be said for supporting local business.

quote:

As an aside: Are you married to the currants idea? Depending on where you are in the US, there's lots of different local dried fruits. Why not put a "local" flourish on your puddings?

I'm not married to the idea, and I've already changed the recipe to the point of dropping the candied citron and using cranberries, but I'm not sure what would be considered a "local" flourish in South Carolina. I guess I could try using dried strawberries, apple chips, or peaches, although I'm not sure what that would do.

Still, this is actually my backup pudding, since I made this year's official pudding on December 26th of last year to see if aging it for a whole year would actually be good, so there's plenty of room to experiment.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rand Brittain posted:

This is good to know.

This is what I've historically done, because the butcher actually has it. Everybody at a local grocery store has either said "what is suet?" or told me that all their suet is promised to a wholesaler and not available for customers.

The boxed suet I ordered from England appears to make absolutely no difference in taste or texture and also doesn't require me to carefully time when I'm going to make the pudding so that I can ask them to save some the day before, but there is something to be said for supporting local business.

I'm not married to the idea, and I've already changed the recipe to the point of dropping the candied citron and using cranberries, but I'm not sure what would be considered a "local" flourish in South Carolina. I guess I could try using dried strawberries, apple chips, or peaches, although I'm not sure what that would do.

Still, this is actually my backup pudding, since I made this year's official pudding on December 26th of last year to see if aging it for a whole year would actually be good, so there's plenty of room to experiment.

You've been feeding that pudding brandy all this year, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Helith posted:

You've been feeding that pudding brandy all this year, right?

Yep. Probably about time to give it another dose.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rand Brittain posted:

Yep. Probably about time to give it another dose.

Nice! post a trip report when you eat it if you can, I'd be interested to see and vicariously taste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, do you think I should simmer any of dried apples, dried peaches, or dried strawberries the way the recipe has me do with raisins? I think my guess would be 'yes'.