Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

quote:

then in the very first mission of squadrons, the imperial blockade of fostar haven consists of, what, a dozen quasar fire-class carriers? it's so over the top. in the mission where you rescue the victarum, it's, again, quasar fires and three star destroyers and you annihilate most of them without fanfare. how many fighters is that? i just checked Wookieepedia, and a single quasar fire carries forty-eight starfighters. when you fly through the rebel fleet, it's composed entirely of corellian corvettes and nebulon-bs with a single mon cal cruiser.

I mean, as a die hard xwing game fan back in the day i'm with you guys in spirit but...

have you seen those new star wars films?

This game is practically DCS in comparison.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Icedude posted:

I've only played a few vs AI matches but I'm having a hell of a time actually hitting anything, even with the auto-aim guns.

I am playing with a T16000.M with Yaw on the rudder pedals, which might be why. Am I going to be better off going against normal flight controls and putting Yaw on the stick and Roll on the pedals?

I think so yes. It makes sense that the axes that are most important are on the 'best' axes on your controls as well.

For airplanes, that's roll because the quickest way to turn is to roll and then pitch up.

In space games like this, the quickest way to turn is to just turn.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

tbh a person asked me to be their date to see the last star wars movie in theater; and the only thing i really remember outside of being sad that laura derns character was bad and there wasnt really enough finn- is that i just remember being kind of electrified that i was on a date to see a star wars in a theater :shrug:

ngl that was a life goal i didnt think i'd get to do, for a number of reasons, back in the day..

e; idk what DCS is but im glad that this game isnt like that screen shot you posted

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

uXs posted:

I think so yes. It makes sense that the axes that are most important are on the 'best' axes on your controls as well.

For airplanes, that's roll because the quickest way to turn is to roll and then pitch up.

In space games like this, the quickest way to turn is to just turn.

That makes sense. I guess I was just too used to planes to think about how you'd put the more important controls on the stick instead of the "correct" ones.

That, and my last space sim being Elite Dangerous where your ship may as well not even have had Yaw thrusters, probably didn't help :v:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 14, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Statutory Ape posted:

i was v proud of that medal case with all the ribbons in x-wing :colbert:

Oh man I was just looking for images and I forgot that you got the medals presented to you in a wooden case and poo poo. And you had a uniform with medals and ribbons and those things that show your rank increasing. And a necklace with a thing with wings.

Why didn't they do this for this game?? It would've been such an awesome callback.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

uXs posted:

Why didn't they do this for this game?? It would've been such an awesome callback.

from the sounds of it youd only have earned like 8 ribbons

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Icedude posted:

That makes sense. I guess I was just too used to planes to think about how you'd put the more important controls on the stick instead of the "correct" ones.

That, and my last space sim being Elite Dangerous where your ship may as well not even have Yaw thrusters, probably didn't help :v:

It's all about what you find easiest really. I'm used to playing space games like this, and plane games with traditional controls. There's nothing wrong with doing something the 'wrong' way if it works for you. (*)

(*: this is only true if it actually does work though. If you would insist on putting pitch up on the left pedal and pitch down on throttle up I'd argue that there are better ways to do things.)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
DCS is like Squadrons, but with modern and somewhat outdated fighter planes, often with clicky cockpits, and a realistic damage model. If you have a flight stick, you should at least give it a try (there is a free map and a free non-clicky plane). Goons have a weekly mission with 20~30 people across several 4-plane flights with different roles. It is fun.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Statutory Ape posted:

from the sounds of it youd only have earned like 8 ribbons

Well you can get 5 medals per mission.

Which is also way too much obviously, you shouldn't get 3 medals just for completing one dumb mission. At that rate you're going to run out of metal to build ships.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

DCS is like Squadrons, but with modern and somewhat outdated fighter planes, often with clicky cockpits, and a realistic damage model.

Okay, stop right there.

DCS is nothing like Squadrons at all. It's a set of hardcore sims (with the price to match). Just starting most planes' engine alone is a 40-step process.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay, stop right there.

DCS is nothing like Squadrons at all. It's a set of hardcore sims (with the price to match). Just starting most planes' engine alone is a 40-step process.

It's literally one button in the cheat menu.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Isometric Bacon posted:

I mean, as a die hard xwing game fan back in the day i'm with you guys in spirit but...

have you seen those new star wars films?

This game is practically DCS in comparison.

honest to god, i forgot that film existed. but yes, the sequel films were out of tone too, in their own way. from poe 'one hell of a pilot'ing out like a dozen ties in ten seconds or to, uh, poe again shooting off every turret on the dreadnaught.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you think about it this is a study sim given the vehicles are pure fiction.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I really don't get some of the criticism floating around that this game is an arcadey / dumbed down tie-fighter / x-wing - I think people are remembering them with rose tinted glasses as some sort of depth simulation, when really they had a good mix between being accessible and having complex systems but still being fun to play..

Having played them recently, I am astonished at how well this includes all the core gameplay mechanics and almost all the little fiddly bits that people remember as being 'sim' like:

I mean it has targeting of subsystems, power management, shunting power between systems, range, shield direction management, missile launching, countermeasures, overcharging shields and lasers, higher speed turns at reduced speed etc, etc. All of these things are inexorably tied to being a 'good' pilot at the game.

Even better, this improves upon them by adding new mechanics, like the boost and drift systems and actually making the multiplayer competitive and moving it away from the continual 'spinning wheel of death' dogfights, by adding lots of cover to the maps and distinct objectives and match phases. It's also significantly faster paced, which feels fitting for both Star Wars and modern games.

Hell, even the campaign does things like the mission briefings and inspecting of freighters, and even adds Wing Commander esque conversations.

...Now if you say that what it has compared to those games is a lack of content - I'm totally with you. I don't see this as having the same staying power with me, as I typically have been finding myself replaying one of the older games every 5 or so years.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Isometric Bacon posted:

I really don't get some of the criticism floating around that this game is an arcadey / dumbed down tie-fighter / x-wing - I think people are remembering them with rose tinted glasses as some sort of depth simulation, when really they had a good mix between being accessible and having complex systems but still being fun to play..

Having played them recently, I am astonished at how well this includes all the core gameplay mechanics and almost all the little fiddly bits that people remember as being 'sim' like:

I mean it has targeting of subsystems, power management, shunting power between systems, range, shield direction management, missile launching, countermeasures, overcharging shields and lasers, higher speed turns at reduced speed etc, etc. All of these things are inexorably tied to being a 'good' pilot at the game.

Even better, this improves upon them by adding new mechanics, like the boost and drift systems and actually making the multiplayer competitive and moving it away from the continual 'spinning wheel of death' dogfights, by adding lots of cover to the maps and distinct objectives and match phases. It's also significantly faster paced, which feels fitting for both Star Wars and modern games.

Hell, even the campaign does things like the mission briefings and inspecting of freighters, and even adds Wing Commander esque conversations.

...Now if you say that what it has compared to those games is a lack of content - I'm totally with you. I don't see this as having the same staying power with me, as I typically have been finding myself replaying one of the older games every 5 or so years.

:same:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Horizon Burning posted:

honest to god, i forgot that film existed. but yes, the sequel films were out of tone too, in their own way. from poe 'one hell of a pilot'ing out like a dozen ties in ten seconds or to, uh, poe again shooting off every turret on the dreadnaught.

As someone who's basic love of star wars came from playing X-Wing incessantly as a child and watching A New Hope on repeat, my entire in-head identity of Star Wars is that it's about x-wings, even if every single part of the actual movies, and every additional movie since has been telling me otherwise.

So I still think every space battle scene should be treated like a World War 2 skirmish.

I also really dislike all the flight scenes in the prequels.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I love this game. When I saw the first trailers I couldn't dare to believe it would be any good, but it's loving awesome.

It still has flaws though, and I think the old games did some things better.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
It literally needs ranked dogfight and a more customizable trainer and it would be nearly perfect. If they could add private PVP rooms with customizable options for dogfight then it would be perfect!

In fact, that ranked dogfight isn't in there already is just :wtc:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

rip lol

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yup this

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

uXs posted:

I agree. I basically have 2 problems with it: size and character.

For some reason I hear MK-09 yelling me in an echo-y Mon Cal concourse that I have new e-mail.

I echo these sentiments but as others have said earlier and I doubt anyone has really disputed the gameplay itself is actually more mechanically complex in Squadrons than in X-Wing games.

Apart from ghost resupply and repairs, I guess. Also on Ace it felt required on some missions to abuse a starship's hangar for repairs. As a sidenote on one mission your ISD is moving. So if you dock you have a good chance of dying upon relaunch. :suicide: Should probably make a bug report of that.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 14, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

morallyobjected posted:

have they said anything about a Squadrons 2? cause man that ending is not satisfying

Big problem is I think EA is set to lose the star wars license before they could release a squadrons 2. I think ironically that's kinda why they made squadrons 1, to have another game they can push out and sell.

Their license is going to be up for renewal and there's a new Disney guy making decisions so that's why I don't give it good odds.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 14, 2020

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Ineffiable posted:

Big problem is I think EA is set to lose the star wars license before they could release a squadrons 2. I think ironically that's kinda why they made squadrons 1, to have another game they can push out and sell.

Their license is going to be up for renewal and there's a new Disney guy making decisions so that's why I don't give it good odds.

Looks like they lose the license in 2023?

Man, what a wasted opportunity to have 10 years and only release what, 4 games? I wonder how many half developed titles never saw the light of day.

Not that I'm complaining, generally speaking each one actually released has been above average quality and they haven't appeared to treat it like a cash cow, discounting the Battlefront 2 fiasco. They've certainly doing better than Lucas arts was doing for a long time before they folded.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I was thinking it was 2021-2022 for some reason. Still they might be able to make a squadrons 2 with improved multiplayer and another campaign for release in end of 2021 or possibly 2022. But they might have to delist the game for sale once the deal expires (assuming they don't extend) so it's a tricky situation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I was thinking it was 2021-2022 for some reason. Still they might be able to make a squadrons 2 with improved multiplayer and another campaign for release in end of 2021 or possibly 2022. But they might have to delist the game for sale once the deal expires (assuming they don't extend) so it's a tricky situation.

The only sane licensing deal is that they have until x date to release games, not that they lose the ability to sell already released games with the Star Wars IP. Likewise it would be strange for Disney to agree to another exclusive license period, but if EA want to negotiate for more games it's good to be able to demonstrate you can a) make money and b) enrich the IP doing so.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
4 games in 10 years is actually a normal number. I know there is a chart out there explaining the game dev process and it takes two years easy to put out a game from the start, more if you build your own engine.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

4 games in 10 years is actually a normal number. I know there is a chart out there explaining the game dev process and it takes two years easy to put out a game from the start, more if you build your own engine.

4 games in 10 years from a publisher not a dev studio

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

This is a 8 year old game engine though, in its current incarnation

It's just a reskin of Battlefield 3's jet/dogfighting mode, which itself is a warmed over update from Battlefield Bad Company 2 which came out uh, ten and one half years ago

I have no idea how a company like EA manages to poo poo out only one star wars game every two years

They're probably going to lose their license to somebody else with better throughput, part of the deal of licensing a franchise is to get residuals from game sales, major games also help sell movie tickets in non covid times

Ten years ago there would have been at least one baby yoda platformer or something, and we'd have a sequel a week before msndalorian season 2 launched

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I think people are vastly underestimating the time and effort needed to make and release a game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

activision blizzard can do 1 COD a year with a franchise they started from nothing
EA:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

EA puts out SW games less frequently than lucasarts did, which, when you think about the resources at their disposal: lol

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

activision blizzard can do 1 COD a year with a franchise they started from nothing
EA:

It would be completely disheartening to see Squadrons become a COD-like mill.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

PunkBoy posted:

It would be completely disheartening to see Squadrons become a COD-like mill.

PunkBoy posted:

I think people are vastly underestimating the time and effort needed to make and release a game.

ok

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PunkBoy posted:

Dude it's just code. Hire some coders and code it, boom, done. Maybe sucker some art students in to working for free to "get experience" if you need arts

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Not sure what the issue is? A shitton of work is put into COD every year, and that comes at the expense of the quality of the game and the well being of the development team. I'm not under any illusion that the Squadron devs didn't face crunch, but it would suck if things got even worse.

Statutory Ape posted:

EA puts out SW games less frequently than lucasarts did, which, when you think about the resources at their disposal: lol

Tbh a lot of those games weren't that good

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Dude it's just code. Hire some coders and code it, boom, done. Maybe sucker some art students in to working for free to "get experience" if you need arts

Most assets are just recycled at this point

Engine is recycled

Add some new guns, add some new hats, couple new maps, ship it just in time for Christmas

It's not rocket science. Game developers are generally near the bottom of the developer totem pole as most of it isn't especially taxing work. It's extremely formulaic at this point

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Call of Duty has millions if players.

A pure dogfighting simulator, a Call of Duty it is not.

I would be surprised if more than a dozen devs were actually dedicated to this game only.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Hadlock posted:

It's just a reskin of Battlefield 3's jet/dogfighting mode, which itself is a warmed over update from Battlefield Bad Company 2 which came out uh, ten and one half years ago

???

Have you even played this

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Managed to score a Logitech X56 for MSRP off of Facebook Marketplace, gutted through the weirdness required to map all the controls properly, hopped in a dogfight .... and got completely spanked.

Man, flying with a HOTAS sure does feel cooler but I am a way shittier pilot with this thing than I ever was with a bog-standard Xbox controller. :smith: Been a long-rear end time since I played TIE Fighter on my dad's Sidewinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ugh, tried to get VR working on my Index last night with no success. I have a 1070 Super, should be able to handle it in low settings, but as soon as I try to toggle VR on in the game it just crashes to desktop and in the Index it says "Next up Starwarssquadrons" with no game icon or anything, clearly meaning the process has crashed.

Have tried fiddling with graphical settings, dropping refresh rate (Index is locked to 120), already was in Borderless mode by tried other options, turned V-Sync on and off... at this point I'm sick of looking at the opening logos, I've seen them so many times. Nothing I do fixes the problem. :smith: