Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Got my trash miles kit. This is the last thing I needed to successfully ride a century. Attempting this Saturday come rain or shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BeastPussy posted:

That's some creepy poo poo. Hope you kept them dropped and skedaddled.

I kept trying to and when I finally turned off the path this dude kept going and yelled "nice riding" at me. Maybe it was for you, man, but I really didn't need that stress.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

sat on my keys! posted:

Hi there men on bikes, please do not tail a woman you've never met before for miles even as she obviously tries to drop you. It wasn't "nice riding" it was me desperately trying to enjoy my ride in peace.
This is gross and it sucks.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Trash Miles kit is wonderful and pairs very nicely with VaporPope arm warmers.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
trash miles :gary:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Would take some better photos but I saw a millipede down there

edit: holy poo poo, I am a slob

Development
Jun 2, 2016

jet sanchEz posted:

aaaa that 3rensho :shittypop:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

sat on my keys! posted:

Hi there men on bikes, please do not tail a woman you've never met before for miles even as she obviously tries to drop you. It wasn't "nice riding" it was me desperately trying to enjoy my ride in peace.

My buddy and I rode early on Saturday and ended up following the same route as a solo woman rider for a handful of blocks; I was hyper aware of how that might be perceived. I was relieved when we followed different routes. Sorry you had to go through that

sat on my keys! posted:

I kept trying to and when I finally turned off the path this dude kept going and yelled "nice riding" at me. Maybe it was for you, man, but I really didn't need that stress.

Fuckin yikes :(

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 14, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

jet sanchEz posted:

serotta merckx merckx merckx merckx derosa colnago chesini 3rensho

slob? more like snob

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sat on my keys! posted:

that's some powerful weirdo poo poo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jet sanchEz posted:

All murder basements are required to have house centipedes/millipedes

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm building up my Cinelli and doing 9050 Di2. The frame was a demo/show bike at one point, so I don't know if it came with the plugs/grommets for Di2 or not, but now I need them.

Is there anyone who makes proper sized plugs for internal downtube Di2 cables that would normally have shift cable housing going in? Most of the Shimano grommets I see online are all angled and/or not the right size, or are made for frames that are specifically designed for Di2 (I can't tell). I think I saw some Specialized or Cannondale having the same sort of setup as my bike, but I'd rather not be blindly buying grommets at 10 bucks a set and waiting around.

It's not something mission critical really, but it'd be nice to have the cables not bouncing around in the frame.

This might work for you?
https://problemsolversbike.com/products/shifters-derailleurs/bubs_-_k5431

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Yeah, I saw those, but they're the cables that look like they're for specifically Di2 and they have an entry angle, versus straight down.

The holes I'm looking to fill are like this:

Maybe I'll just get some moldable silicon and pop them in like that.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I shaved part of my leg to put kinesiology tape on and uh... smooth skin feels great :sparkles:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Heliosicle posted:

I shaved part of my leg to put kinesiology tape on and uh... smooth skin feels great :sparkles:

Don't forget to moisturize! :v:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

sat on my keys! posted:

Just some random thoughts:
It is not cool to tail anyone like this, male or female.
People are stupid
I would be tempted to look them up on Strava and maybe comment on their ride that you prefer to ride alone.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mikemelbrooks posted:

Just some random thoughts:
It is not cool to tail anyone like this, male or female.
People are stupid
I would be tempted to look them up on Strava and maybe comment on their ride that you prefer to ride alone.

Don't do the last bit because then they know who you are and where you ride.

I've had random people ride my wheel for far too long but im also aware as a big dude I can turn around and tell them to gently caress off without the threat of anything else happening. I can only imagine how awful that can feel for a lady.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

look them up on strava and block

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What about waving them around you or slowing down a bit?

I’m a guy and people have drafted off me for a bit. It pisses me off mainly because a safety concern because I don’t know how good a rider they are and they don’t know how horrible of a rider I am, but I usually just slow down and see if they pass me. I’ve never waved them around but maybe that would work?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just drop everyone and laugh maniacally inside when they inevitably fall off.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

nwin posted:

I’m a guy and people have drafted off me for a bit. It pisses me off mainly because a safety concern because I don’t know how good a rider they are and they don’t know how horrible of a rider I am, but I usually just slow down and see if they pass me. I’ve never waved them around but maybe that would work?

Two weeks ago I had some old guy shadowing me super close for 5-6 miles before he finally said that he just wanted to see if he could keep my pace, would have been nice for him to say that initially.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Definitely there are places you can ride where its not always possible to slow down / stop near a group of friendly people to get out of a situation like that.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

e.pilot posted:

as a lady, I can’t wait to do this with my new watts I gained from training during shelter in place :getin:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Two weeks ago I had some old guy shadowing me super close for 5-6 miles before he finally said that he just wanted to see if he could keep my pace, would have been nice for him to say that initially.

This is an old man specialty and happens all the god drat time. Just please say something and I'll be glad to tow you around.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

The other week I trailed a couple for a couple of miles who just happened to be going the same route as me (there was a point where I fully expected them to end up being my neighbors), and I hoped I wasn't seen as a giant creep, but also they would speed ahead before slowing down and me catching up, and I made a point not to pass because I knew they'd just end up passing me again. I was just trying to go my own slow-rear end pace, and happened to catch up at random. I was probably as happy as they were when they turned off to a parking lot.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

serious gaylord posted:

Don't do the last bit because then they know who you are and where you ride.

I've had random people ride my wheel for far too long but im also aware as a big dude I can turn around and tell them to gently caress off without the threat of anything else happening. I can only imagine how awful that can feel for a lady.

Same here. I generally don't care who is on my wheel as long as they are not a danger to me in the bad bike rider department. On the flipside, I never just pull up and ride someone's wheel.

Mot exactly a drfting story, but the only time I felt threatened in the personal safety department was when I called some guy on an e-bike a loving idiot for passing me on the right (USA) between myself and the curb. He we going the full 28mph, I was probably around 15. Holy poo poo he was huge, like 6'6" 250+ pounds. Managed to de-escalate without sharting my pance and preserving my road biker honor.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tubeless trip report: easy to set up and rides great, should have done it sooner. Hope this is the end of my minor puncture pains.

Tires with a few hundred miles on them were swiss cheese but orange seal took care of them pretty quick. Airshot can seated the beads instantly. Retaped the rims with the green tape for good measure but probably wasn't really necessary.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The only people I tail unannounced are e-bike riders. My brain just goes straight in to keirin mode and I lock on to someone riding a derny bike.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

nwin posted:

I kept slowing down and he would slow down with me. I confess I didn't do the wave by because I really didn't want to interact with the guy, I just wanted him to get my (implicit) hint to leave me alone. If it were just a few blocks I wouldn't care, I've done that too, but this went on for miles.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

As someone new to riding long distances, how do I ask someone I want to try to keep pace? I'm typically at least 10-20 meters off their rear wheel.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Giant Metal Robot posted:

As someone new to riding long distances, how do I ask someone I want to try to keep pace? I'm typically at least 10-20 meters off their rear wheel.

Ride up to them when you get close, say "hey, mind if I pace off you?" then respect their response.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Like a normal social situation there is a lot of context and body language that 99% of people can just feel without written rules. In the earlier example if you're slowing down to get someone to pass you and they slow down and stay behind you going super slow that's what people are calling creepy and frankly weird/scary.

In contrast If you're chilling 20-30 meters back from someone and they're not varying their speed that's not a comparable situation. When people talk about drafting being rude that's usually a couple of inches or a foot away where the wind resistance is the reason for being that close, and in normal group ride situations where you trust people you'd be using hand signals to warn about rough patches or to signal braking and you know someone isn't going to cross wheel you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rode through some lovely fall colors today.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Changing the conversation about a woman asking what to do about being stalked to Me winning defacto sprint points from someone trying to pass

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bicievino posted:

The only people I tail unannounced are e-bike riders. My brain just goes straight in to keirin mode and I lock on to someone riding a derny bike.
especially those dudes with the ebikes that will do 40 kph

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Rode through some lovely fall colors today.

Daaaaaamn!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sat on my keys! posted:

I kept slowing down and he would slow down with me. I confess I didn't do the wave by because I really didn't want to interact with the guy, I just wanted him to get my (implicit) hint to leave me alone. If it were just a few blocks I wouldn't care, I've done that too, but this went on for miles.

Yeah that’s loving weird. I think if I was riding behind you I’d get the loving hint and just pass.

Whenever I’m coming up on someone I always take a minute to gauge if I can actually pass them and stay ahead of them. If I’m barely holding on or figure I’ll have to go balls out to drop them, then I usually just back off a bit and let them go. I feel weird as gently caress riding behind someone and pacing them when I don’t know them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Changing the conversation about a woman asking what to do about being stalked to Me winning defacto sprint points from someone trying to pass

Yes hi welcome to SA

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

Ride up to them when you get close, say "hey, mind if I pace off you?" then respect their response.

A dude did this to me on a climb a couple weeks ago and it was sincerely the most faith I've felt in humanity since the world caught on fire in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We're prepping for my wife to do a century on Sunday, same ride I did three weeks ago, should be a blast / sore rear end

I told her she needs to bring earbuds and about seven hours of podcasts or audiobooks