Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's not going to be called EVO anymore though, it'll probably be called something like Next Level Battle Fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Tournament of Power (No Mr. Wizards Allowed) (Also Marn)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jiro posted:

(and infiltration)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure deadpool was never in anything before MvC3.

It really cracks me up that in the Injustice 2 rollback networking GDC talk they're using Deathstroke in several of the example videos but the dev is consistently calling him Deadpool.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jiro posted:

*looks up from reading papers, surprised* Because of the pandemic! That's right. MaRn can't come. Because of the pandemic. Yes.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Victory Position posted:

*looks up from reading papers, surprised* Because of the pandemic! That's right. MaRn can't come. Because of the pandemic. Yes.

marn himself is a pandemic

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dragon enthusiast posted:

marn himself is a pandemic

marn was on covid21 when we weren't even on 16 yet

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
We thought we defeated The Leg. Turns out it was just biding its time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there a fighting game stage that's in the parking lot of a lower-tier fast food chain?

The Senator's background in Eternal Champions CD IIRC

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wanted to go to Evo Japan this year, but black plague aint worth it to give some random Japanese dude the freest wins in history.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

sharrrk posted:

that sounds like something from a recent nrs game

Flash does something like this in one of the Injustice games, I think.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If I remember right, he zooms off the screen and like comes back with a drink or something else kinda cute like that, though that may be one of his between round animations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly pictured The Tick in a fighting game.

After getting the Ninja Turtles and Hellboy in Injustice 2, I wouldn't be shocked if he's on the table for Injustice 3.

Yardbomb posted:

If I remember right, he zooms off the screen and like comes back with a drink or something else kinda cute like that, though that may be one of his between round animations.

Yeah, I think that might be the case. This is his character select animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mIRHNB48g

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AFGCNews/status/1316380847046619136

people hated the beta lobby. lets make it the only thing that exists

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/AFGCNews/status/1316380847046619136

people hated the beta lobby. lets make it the only thing that exists

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So is the "complete" Daraku Tenshi/The Fallen Angels still happening? It was supposed to be out this August and all the news I see is still the same old articles announcing that from like, January.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah this game is going to be dead on arrival no matter how good the game part of it may be if you actually can’t play the game due to this dumpster fire of a lobby

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Well that's depressing. Though at least the silliconera article confirms Anji.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Having not seen any beta footage of the lobbies, what was wrong with them?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

all the messaging since the beta has shown that they don't actually care about any feedback and have never changed anything about the project since the moment they unveiled it, assuming anything better in terms of presentation/structure is just false hope at this point. we just have to pray it's actually fun despite looking like poo poo and being unplayable online.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Hobojim posted:

buddy

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

In Training posted:

all the messaging since the beta has shown that they don't actually care about any feedback and have never changed anything about the project since the moment they unveiled it, assuming anything better in terms of presentation/structure is just false hope at this point. we just have to pray it's actually fun despite looking like poo poo and being unplayable online.

i mean they made the UI functional, if still hideous

i really wonder if they have like a bunch of new people working on things that arent gameplay and graphics so those folks can make another licensed game or something

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Ugh Strive looks so drat pretty, I really hope it's good but this is very much a bad sign.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hobojim posted:

They were pretty much unusable. It was really hard to get a fight with a specific person going for one, not to mention you had to physically move your little pixel avatar over, position them perfectly, then hope the match selection actually worked.

Plus, if you won you'd eventually be booted up to a "higher tier" lobby where in theory there are better opponents. But in practice it means you couldn't just play the same person forever, though hopefully there's at least a private version of the dumb pixel lobbies?

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
LOL what if Strive's netcode is the same "rollback" that Tekken uses?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Doesn’t this floor system make it completely impossible to get matches if you are booted up to an empty floor? Like in the loving beta that everyone complained about?

Edit: like typically a ranked queue would match players of vastly different ranks if there’s no other options. Wouldn’t this floor system just tell the lonely player “get hosed, the good players shouldn’t have to waste their time with you”

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

Ugh Strive looks so drat pretty, I really hope it's good but this is very much a bad sign.

Sign was pretty bad, so probably expect Strive to not be too great until we get Strive 2.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hobojim posted:

To fight against someone, you have to go into a "fight me" stance, drawing your weapon, then the other guy gets in front of you and goes into the same stance. You'd think tha'ts kinda the same as the arcade cabs in previous arcsys lobbies but the arcade cabs were discrete locations that never overlapped. Player characters, on the other hand, overlap all the time, and even more so in 2d, and it's not at all clear where you need to stand to initiate a fight or, for that matter, when the match is made, so it's basically impossible to tell who you're gonna be fighting against unless you're standing in an empty part of the lobby and no one comes running between you and your partner while you dance around to try and start the match.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Incredibly tired of Arcsys trying to make lobbies a game in itself. I'd rather stare at a menu than have no idea what I'm doing in a hub world

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
"Replacing ranked will be the “Floor” system that was also shown off in the beta where players will go between floors based on skill where each floor will be better suited for each player's aptitude levels and being able to have matches without having to worry about points. (2/3)"

lol what the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Incredibly tired of Arcsys trying to make lobbies a game in itself. I'd rather stare at a menu than have no idea what I'm doing in a hub world
even if you do want to make a hub world, whats wrong with just walking up to someone and selecting 'challenge', or going into a menu and selecting 'ready to fight' and anyone can fight you by walking up and pressing a

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sfv netcode update today

1. As of the 2/19/2020 update, game lag would be synced during matches.
Steps have been taken to mitigate one-sided rollback, but if the connection between both players is unstable,
synchronization during temporary network delays could result in frequent pauses during matches.

One-sided rollback will be permitted during temporary fluctuations in network connections,
and other adjustments have been made to further prevent pauses when the game is attempting to sync.

Before: Changed to check opponent’s ping every second instead of an average ping over 8 seconds.
After: Rolled back the change so that the average ping over 8 seconds is calculated instead of checking ping every second.

2. Significant lag could occur immediately after the start of a match,
so matches are now synched from the beginning of round call to minimize early lag.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endorph posted:

even if you do want to make a hub world, whats wrong with just walking up to someone and selecting 'challenge', or going into a menu and selecting 'ready to fight' and anyone can fight you by walking up and pressing a

The stations make sense b/c its a place where both players can go when they're ready to play. It's not good if someone is just going up to random people who might be waiting around/idling or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah they nailed this whole interactive lobby thing the first time and have just kind of made it gradually worse each game until now we have this fuckin habbo hotel-rear end bullshit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Before: Changed to check opponent’s ping every second instead of an average ping over 8 seconds.
After: Rolled back the change so that the average ping over 8 seconds is calculated instead of checking ping every second.

The ping check every 1s was the fix for their rollback not working in the first place. I don't know how they think reverting to something else is going to be an improvement.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Chev posted:

To fight against someone, you have to go into a "fight me" stance, drawing your weapon, then the other guy gets in front of you and goes into the same stance. You'd think tha'ts kinda the same as the arcade cabs in previous arcsys lobbies but the arcade cabs were discrete locations that never overlapped. Player characters, on the other hand, overlap all the time, and even more so in 2d, and it's not at all clear where you need to stand to initiate a fight or, for that matter, when the match is made, so it's basically impossible to tell who you're gonna be fighting against unless you're standing in an empty part of the lobby and no one comes running between you and your partner while you dance around to try and start the match.

Made even worse by the matchmaking servers being in a state of perpetual meltdown. Match requests could bounce without any feedback to the challenger or challengee, frequent disconnects from the lobby, losing the rare people you can connect to rank-ups sucked, soft locking in the weapon drawn stance etc.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
if you care enough that you're following gg now or played it in the past, its easy to forget that strive is not for you. it's for new blood. the people making the game believe that the formula to make gg was already perfected but they are choosing not to use that formula in order to appeal to people that are not you.

older interview about strive posted:

I feel that through previous Guilty Gear titles, we have more or less perfected the Guilty Gear formula.

It may very well be possible to tighten that up and make a further refined game. But, even if we did, such a game would create a disparity between new players and veterans who are used to the game’s systems.

So, we wanted to reset the start line for everyone. But of course, this doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten our appreciation and respect for long-term fans and accomplished players.

but remember: Don't worry. Submit your feedback now and buy the $85 dollar first season of the game to see if they have responded to your feedback in their finished product

some dev interview posted:

Don’t worry. The developers are creating GGST with both a casual and hard-core perspective in mind. There may be some aspects that don’t quite satisfy series veterans, but we will create new depth that will motivate them to learn something entirely new.

Also, even if the Beta Test is not well received, you will see our answers to your feedback in the game upon release.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

That does sound fuckin awful, thanks for the explanations lol

I hated DBFZ lobbies way back when I played it too, having to go through like six menus to challenge a friend was irritating and although the lobbies were kind of neat the first time they were just unwieldy after that. I don't know why arcsys insists on these things. SOMEONE must like them, I guess, but mostly it's just getting in the way of playing the actual game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zand posted:

if you care enough that you're following gg now or played it in the past, its easy to forget that strive is not for you. it's for new blood.
I mean, that can excuse the grating gameplay but not the laughable lobbies or the goofy GUI.

Granblue was for new blood too but it managed to at least keep lobbies readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well this certainly frees up some cash towards other purchases.