Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there a go-to weapon upgrade from the boltcaster? All the choices seem pretty :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there a go-to weapon upgrade from the boltcaster? All the choices seem pretty :shrug:

The shotgun is Extremely Good, as is the Plasma Launcher. Just, uh, make sure you play around with the latter in normal mode before grabbing it on your permadeath save. Plasma cannon is very good damage but bounces if it doesn't actually hit an enemy. Geology Cannon is "plasma cannon but blows up on contact with anything", which is good on paper but A. there's too many invisible walls in this game and B. the crater it creates is significantly smaller than the actual radius of the damage that it does once it's modded which takes a fair amount of getting used to, and I don't think it's possible to get your own health+shields up to a point where it won't one-shot you if you're in range of it.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 14, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
What was the consensus on maximising mineral extractor output again?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

The Scatter Blaster is extremely good. It has absurd recoil but you only need to aim vaguely in the target's direction anyway.

The Pulse Spitter is kind of a sidegrade from the Boltcaster that does more damage but uses more ammo. Ammo is plentiful though, and you can use it to hit things that are too far away to reliably delete with the Scatter Blaster.
Note: both the Boltcaster and Pulse Spitter have ricochet mods. Never use these, they kill your damage output (unless this was fixed very recently)

The Blaze Lance just sucks. Even upgraded, by the time you charge it up and fire a shot at something to deal 1/4 it's health in damage, any other gun has killed it. Seriously just use the Mining Laser instead if you want hitscan.

The Plasma Launcher is strong, but extremely dangerous to you since the AoE will one shot you regardless of health and shields, and it can be uncertain whether your line of fire is actually clear. Don't upgrade it unless you seek amusing ways to commit suicide.

The Geology Canon is basically the same as the Plasma Launcher except it can also make holes in the dirt way less efficiently than the Terrain Manipulator.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

What was the consensus on maximising mineral extractor output again?

"7 extractors per discrete storage network" seems to be the magic number, beyond that sky cap/framerate/carpal tunnel is the limit

Thundarr posted:

The Plasma Launcher is strong, but extremely dangerous to you since the AoE will one shot you regardless of health and shields, and it can be uncertain whether your line of fire is actually clear. Don't upgrade it unless you seek amusing ways to commit suicide.

Really it's a quad/walker sentinel killing weapon, extremely efficient and great but if you decide to fight on a hill make sure you have the high ground or you're going to miss a shot and it's going to come rolling back

also probably if you get any S-class upgrades with "additional bounce chance" just scrap them outright instead of leaving them installed

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 14, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Plasma is nice for quads since they like to keep their distance from you, but an upgraded Scatter Blaster kills walkers so quickly and effortlessly that I wouldn't bother using grenades on them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I might play with that-- once I found out that my plasma launcher could take out a walker at range with 4 shots I stopped bothering to get close enough to even try to shotgun them

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My newest MT had the plasma launcher preinstalled and now I’m not afraid of sentinels very much. Without any upgrades it still seems to straight up delete everything I’ve encountered.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Thundarr posted:

The Blaze Lance just sucks. Even upgraded, by the time you charge it up and fire a shot at something to deal 1/4 it's health in damage, any other gun has killed it. Seriously just use the Mining Laser instead if you want hitscan.

i have a soft sport for the blaze lance. you can one-shot the sentinel quads if you hit them in their weak spot, and using just a little charge is the fastest way to clear monstrosities because you have low recoil and no reload time.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Plasma launcher has killed me more than anything else.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just summon my minotaur and shoot missiles at monsters with complete impunity.

I guess I'm also biased against the Blaze Lance as a gamepad player because there's no aim assist, the actual projectile is about a pixel wide, and the PS4 version of the game is not known for having a consistently high frame rate.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, Blaze Lance, even fully upgraded, was kind of garbage for me. I run Scatter Blaster/Boltcaster and haven't had a problem with anything.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Along those lines, what is the general consensus on ship weapons? I finally found an exotic I like but I'm undecided on what I should put on it for pew pew. There's always the Photon Cannons but they're kind of boring. I remember the Phase Beam being kinda good and Infra-Knife being kinda not good?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
also the shotgun

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thundarr posted:

Along those lines, what is the general consensus on ship weapons? I finally found an exotic I like but I'm undecided on what I should put on it for pew pew. There's always the Photon Cannons but they're kind of boring. I remember the Phase Beam being kinda good and Infra-Knife being kinda not good?

I find the photon cannons to be the most consistent because they have insane tracking. The Infra-knife has insane damage but often doesn’t correctly lock on to ships. But when it does, it melts them. Missiles are good because they have the longest range.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Multi-tool I'm 100% in for Pulse Spitter and Plasma Cannon. Ship weapons, I just like Photon Cannons because, yeah, they track nicely and they can kill a spaceship before overheating so I don't have to worry about weapon management.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Space shotguns is the way to go. You add 6 S class upgrades, and you are one-shotting everything. Even those waves of 4 enemy fighters that jump in on the nexus missions, just aim vaguely in the middle of where they are jumping in and spray around a bit and they are all dead a second after they jump in.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I think I found something more valuable than the storm crystals

I apologize if it feels like I'm spamming pictures but I'm always amazed by the planets I find. And speaking of, I was quite surprised by the mean green monsters, even more so since I cant scan them nor get anything from killing them, just the few laval cores I salvaged because they kept tackling me around.

Oh and thanks to you all about the freighter talk last page, I decided to decline the first one I helped.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've done pretty good so far with launching rockets and then boosting into range and finishing them off with the photon cannon

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I spam shotguns in every game I play so scatter blaster and positron ejector for me thanks

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wait how is a capital freighter different than a regular freighter? How do you tell it's a capital freighter? I got a B class red star destroyer haha don't tell me i gotta get rid of it and buy another freighter.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Capital freighters only spawn in a system for the rescue the freighter mission.
They have 2 basic designs and have better stats than the regular freighters. Regular freighter start with 15-19 slots, Capitals have 24-34 slots and can be upgraded to 48/21.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Freighter_Types

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

'Capital' freighters have fixed designs in three different sizes where the only variation is minor accessories, whereas regular freighters are built from several different parts. The star destroyers are one of the capital designs, the other one is long and narrow like a beak.

Capitals were very good because they came in three distinct sizes, each of which was visually distinct from outside the freighter, in comparison to regular freighters which would have a random number of slots restricted by what visual add-ons they rolled and you generally had to land to find out - so Capitals both consistently looked good and were faster to evaluate while grinding for big inventory. Now that you expand all freighters to the same regardless of 'size' or initial slots the difference is mostly that both Capital designs look really cool and can start with a bigger inventory while you need to get real lucky or trawl the database for a good looking regular freighter and will need to spend more to expand them.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wtf these are some pretty loving important and need to know things. Thankfully it appears i got a venator but i really want a bigger one now--how do i go about buying another freighter? Will i lose everything on my other one if i do?

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Arghy posted:

Wtf these are some pretty loving important and need to know things. Thankfully it appears i got a venator but i really want a bigger one now--how do i go about buying another freighter? Will i lose everything on my other one if i do?

Just like when you buys ships you can transfer between your old freighter and the new one.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If you have a venator then it's visual appearance has no relation to it's actual stats. All 3 'sizes' are just a visual difference only. The number of slots and stats are all based on it's class. So an S class venator will be the same whether it's it's the small, medium or large version of it.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Arghy posted:

Will i lose everything on my other one if i do?
Anything you built in your old freighter will not transfer, so be sure to deconstruct the hell out of it to get everything back plus the free metal from ripping out the default rooms while you’re at it.

Don’t worry about any storage container rooms you might have built. You can deconstruct them too even if they’re full of loot. The game will remember everything that was in them when you rebuild them in your new freighter. Nothing is really “in” those rooms, they just act as interfaces for ten different cloud storage set ups, you will not lose anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm pretty sure, but not willing to say it's absolutely the case because it's been over a year and half a dozen expansions since I've done it, that if you don't deconstruct everything on your freighter when you change it you can retrieve the materials from the base salvage buildable.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Helith posted:

If you have a venator then it's visual appearance has no relation to it's actual stats. All 3 'sizes' are just a visual difference only. The number of slots and stats are all based on it's class. So an S class venator will be the same whether it's it's the small, medium or large version of it.

Yeah but ones got more turrets! I could technically use it as a shield when fighting sents in space!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Where do I get the cube window and the orange wall screen? This is my second playthrough and they're empty in my catalogue, I had to look them up online\

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I don’t think those exist in game, or are bugged, because I’m missing those 2 as well. There’s an engine module I don’t have either which was apparently a pre order bonus back in the day, so only people who are playing a save from back then even have it.
There’s also some foundations that I bought the blueprints for but don’t actually show in the build menu, so there’s bugs all over the catalogue really.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

Yeah but ones got more turrets! I could technically use it as a shield when fighting sents in space!

NPC ships clip directly through freighters all the time, which is a pain in the goddamn rear end when the last attacker is taking their sweet rear end time in noclip mode using the poop deck or whatever

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

Now that you expand all freighters to the same regardless of 'size' or initial slots the difference is mostly that both Capital designs look really cool and can start with a bigger inventory while you need to get real lucky or trawl the database for a good looking regular freighter and will need to spend more to expand them.

I need to test this but I will laugh very hard if the initial, non-capital S-rank freighter I lucked into could have been grinded up with bulkheads to match the S-rank venerator that I had to grind for.

e: I mean, the large-size venerator kicks rear end to see every time I summon it to loom over a planet so I can grab some carbon tubes out of it so it was worth, but still

e2: A B-rank, non-capital freighter maxes out at a paltry 35+7, so I low-key suspect even an S-rank would cap at 48+14 but I'd need to find one to be sure

e3: C is 25+7, A is 40+14

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 15, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The worst thing about star destroyer capital ships is that you can't change the main body color. Just the stripe down the middle and some highlights / outlines. Heck I'm still not even really sure what colors 2 and 3 affect, the ship is so big that you can't pull the camera far enough out to see what bits might be changing color.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I have a small star destroyer and I'm pretty sure they do absolutely nothing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Interesting thing that I didn't know (or, at least, think about before)-- you can use NPCs to sell ships to other players in multiplayer mode. Upgrades and inventory are reverted to the base values, but it works for living ships as well as the metal kind.

(Also it's probably not even worth saying, but in case anyone didn't know, you can use manual saves to dupe literally anything including the aforementioned ships in multiplayer mode)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Is there anything to do with the derelict freighters that spawn with no HUD icon? I know the red icon means you can loot the pods and the purple icon you can land on for the mini-mission, but sometimes one will just be looming in space with no visible interaction anywhere

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Elotana posted:

Is there anything to do with the derelict freighters that spawn with no HUD icon? I know the red icon means you can loot the pods and the purple icon you can land on for the mini-mission, but sometimes one will just be looming in space with no visible interaction anywhere

For those there's a cargo pod that you can blow up and it will trigger pirates.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

The worst thing about star destroyer capital ships is that you can't change the main body color. Just the stripe down the middle and some highlights / outlines. Heck I'm still not even really sure what colors 2 and 3 affect, the ship is so big that you can't pull the camera far enough out to see what bits might be changing color.

I think that's a bug. Every now and again if I jump around and play the game for a few hours when I come back my capital freighter is the colors I chose at the panel and will change correctly if I go back to the panel and make edits. But it never sticks on next reload.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

TracerM17 posted:

I think that's a bug. Every now and again if I jump around and play the game for a few hours when I come back my capital freighter is the colors I chose at the panel and will change correctly if I go back to the panel and make edits. But it never sticks on next reload.

Yeah I swear my capital ship keeps changing colors when I jump around. I haven't set any custom colors.

My ship also seems to have change colors to match my suit. When I had blue highlights on my suit, I had them on my ship, and then I changed to red and then so did my ship. It was odd.