Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I long for the day when I am tired of foie gras.

Open a Michelin starred restaurant, that did it for me. Wait, actually, run as far and as fast as you can away from the restaurant industry if you dont want to break your brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
My dad gave me a very nice gift for Christmas last year of a Kamikoto kanpeki knife set, containing a vegetable knife, a slicing knife, and a utility knife, all single bevel.

I tried to use the vegetable knife (a nakiri?) to make a mirepoix for a stew last night, and completely mangled the carrots and celery before switching to my trusty Victorinox chef's knife for the onion before I ended up in the emergency room.

These knives are brand new, and unless Kamikoto is running a racket, I am sure they are plenty sharp — there just must be some technique I do not understand, because pretending the vegetable knife was a chef's knife just didn't work.

Can anyone knifesplain how I should be using these knives or point me towards a good resource?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

My dad gave me a very nice gift for Christmas last year of a Kamikoto kanpeki knife set, containing a vegetable knife, a slicing knife, and a utility knife, all single bevel.

I tried to use the vegetable knife (a nakiri?) to make a mirepoix for a stew last night, and completely mangled the carrots and celery before switching to my trusty Victorinox chef's knife for the onion before I ended up in the emergency room.

These knives are brand new, and unless Kamikoto is running a racket, I am sure they are plenty sharp — there just must be some technique I do not understand, because pretending the vegetable knife was a chef's knife just didn't work.

Can anyone knifesplain how I should be using these knives or point me towards a good resource?

Are you left handed, or right handed?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Weltlich posted:

Are you left handed, or right handed?

Right handed — the flat side of the knife faces me if I hold it in my right hand, which Wikipedia tells me is correct

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Try turning them over, they might be upside down

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for a good kid friendly butter chicken recipe. Any recommendations?

Editing to also request a kid friendly chili.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 17, 2020

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Some uh, substance-fueled experimentation lead me to fry some shallots with toasted peanuts, Sriracha, lots of butter, and some extra salt, which somewhat surprisingly tasted amazing even when sober. Any suggestions on what that would go well with, aside from packets of Ramen noodles? It is the fanciest tasting thing I think I have ever made.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for a good kid friendly butter chicken recipe. Any recommendations?

This is the best one I've personally tried, from Cook's Illustrated 2019 Annual.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thank you! That looks pretty good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DasNeonLicht posted:

These knives are brand new, and unless Kamikoto is running a racket, I am sure they are plenty sharp there just must be some technique I do not understand, because pretending the vegetable knife was a chef's knife just didn't work.

Kamikoto is a giant scam selling garbage pig steel knives on Facebook, saying theyre worth $1200 and that youre getting a bargain at $300 when theyre actually worth negative dollars. Its a Chinese company pretending to be Japanese with a misleading name and vague marketing. I wouldnt even use them to cut off a toxic relationship

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

A bit of a weird question: but does anyone else cook a lot but still feel like they are not good at cooking?

Ive been cooking for years and tried all sorts of recipes and cuisines, and while occasionally I end up with something great that Im really proud of, I dont feel like Ive managed to get good at cooking. Other than a few basics I dont feel like I can cook much successfully without following a recipe, and I have never really developed a repertoire of go to meals or techniques that I can consistently make or improvise and turn out well.

Its probably a lot simpler than Im making it out to be and maybe I just need to pick a handful of basic dishes that I really enjoy and cook them repeatedly until I get a good feel for it, but was just wondering if anyone has felt similarly or has any suggestions on just improving my fundamental cooking skills? Im thinking of picking up something like Mark Bittmans How to Everything and just working my way through it all trying to focus on the basic techniques instead of tackling fancier Food Lab-style project recipes like I usually do.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jato posted:

A bit of a weird question: but does anyone else cook a lot but still feel like they are not “good” at cooking?

Like imposter syndrome or something? Ive been cooking for thirty years or so, and I still cringe with embarrassment when I remember food I cooked starting out. These days Im confident I can cook anything at all well, but Im more aware of how many foods and dishes there are in the world that Ill probably never get round to eating (or even hearing of) which is a little dispiriting.

Although I dont consider him an authority on anything, Steven King mentions in his book On Writing that anyone wanting to be a writer needs to read, and read a lot. Likewise, I would suggest that a cook should eat a lot, and not by volume. You need to eat a lot of different food, cooked by a lot of different people, and importantly, pay attention while you eat. The best individual course I ever ate was a bowl of cauliflower: the person who developed that dish really really gave a poo poo about cauliflower.

Keep a food diary. What you cook, how you could improve it. What you ate, and what you liked and disliked about it. How you might replicate a dish you particularly liked. Recipes you want to try, or novel foods you want to try cooking. When you eat out, try and pick foods or dishes youve never tried before, or things youd find intimidating to cook.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I would say the times I feel good at cooking beyond just being able to follow recipes are when I've had to go off piste due to limited ingredients or out of wanting to try something new, and have created something better than the sum of the parts. But that only comes from cooking a lot of different recipes within one cuisine, and really understanding the flavour profiles and combinations that work well and then being able to mix and match and substitute different things in without loving up the overall balance.

Give me a fridge full of mediterranean ingredients and I could happily make numerous and varied delicious pasta sauces without needing to touch a recipe, whereas give me a fridge of South East Asian ingredients and I could competently make a few dishes based on recipes I've done a few times but would be absolutely stuck beyond that. But by pushing myself to try new Thai recipes for example, and trying different techniques, I know that in a year or so I'll be competent enough to improvise and get that feeling of accomplishment.

But don't underestimate the skill of being able to follow a recipe and have it turn out well, it's a very important foundation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jato posted:

A bit of a weird question: but does anyone else cook a lot but still feel like they are not “good” at cooking?

I’ve been cooking for years and tried all sorts of recipes and cuisines, and while occasionally I end up with something great that I’m really proud of, I don’t feel like I’ve managed to get good at cooking. Other than a few basics I don’t feel like I can cook much successfully without following a recipe, and I have never really developed a repertoire of “go to” meals or techniques that I can consistently make or improvise and turn out well.

It’s probably a lot simpler than I’m making it out to be and maybe I just need to pick a handful of basic dishes that I really enjoy and cook them repeatedly until I get a good feel for it, but was just wondering if anyone has felt similarly or has any suggestions on just improving my fundamental cooking skills? I’m thinking of picking up something like Mark Bittman’s How to Everything and just working my way through it all trying to focus on the basic techniques instead of tackling fancier Food Lab-style project recipes like I usually do.

Come to the goons with spoons subforum, we have threads for beginner cooks and a very helpful question thread

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I almost always think I messed up something in my dishes- but if people go back for seconds and empty their plates then I know it was good. If they go back for thirds then I have to remember to make it for them again. Thats a more reliable indicator than what guests or family have to say if asked. So dont be too hard on yourself if youre food is being eaten.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Steve Yun posted:

Come to the goons with spoons subforum, we have threads for beginner cooks and a very helpful question thread

What forum do you think this thread is in

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

That's a trick question isn't it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Butterfly Valley posted:

gently caress, Im going back and forth between here and CSPAM too much

mystes
May 31, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

More to the point, where's the very helpful question thread, and why have I been reading this one?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jato posted:

A bit of a weird question: but does anyone else cook a lot but still feel like they are not good at cooking?

Ive been cooking for years and tried all sorts of recipes and cuisines, and while occasionally I end up with something great that Im really proud of, I dont feel like Ive managed to get good at cooking. Other than a few basics I dont feel like I can cook much successfully without following a recipe, and I have never really developed a repertoire of go to meals or techniques that I can consistently make or improvise and turn out well.

Its probably a lot simpler than Im making it out to be and maybe I just need to pick a handful of basic dishes that I really enjoy and cook them repeatedly until I get a good feel for it, but was just wondering if anyone has felt similarly or has any suggestions on just improving my fundamental cooking skills? Im thinking of picking up something like Mark Bittmans How to Everything and just working my way through it all trying to focus on the basic techniques instead of tackling fancier Food Lab-style project recipes like I usually do.

Instead of How To Cook Everything, you might like to take a look at Ruhlman's Twenty by Michael Ruhlman. It's one of very few nonfiction books that I've given 5 stars to on Goodreads. It's about twenty fundamental cooking techniques (braising, sauteing, etc.), but where most cookbooks would give these methods an inset, or a page, each technique gets an in-depth discussion in its own chapter, talking about all the little details and why you do things in a certain way to get the best results. At the end of each chapter is a handful of recipes employing that chapter's technique, so you can apply the things you learned. I really loved this book. The hardcover version is $25 (and worth it!), but the Kindle version is only $4 for some reason, which is an absolute steal. I think this might be a good fit for you because it will help you understand why things work the way they do, which will help you adapt on the fly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone have a favorite smoothie recipe involving mango? We have some store-bought frozen mango cubes that have taking up space in our freezer for too long.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I dont have a set, specific measured-out recipe for smoothies, but for mango I would use mango chunks, pineapple juice, yogurt (greek or frozen depending on how healthy you want it to be) and ice. Could add pineapple chunks too but the juice will give it plenty of flavor.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I always end up hungry like an hour before bed and can't sleep unless I eat something. Peanut butter toast has been my go-to but I was wondering if anyone had any better/slightly healthier suggestions? I'm sure most people would just eat a banana or something but I have an odd allergy that makes fruit a no-go.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sweet potato!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Like... a whole rear end baked sweet potato?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Eat as much as you like, but it's a classic "complex carbs which keep you full" food which also happens to be easy to prepare in different ways, and can easily feel like a dessert.

Baked with a touch of whipped cream or granola topping is an obvious choice, but you can go hog wild with any prep. Microwave steamed and mashed is probably quickest if that's a consideration.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hmm, google makes microwaving a sweet potato look like a 5 minute thing. Sure, worth a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

I always end up hungry like an hour before bed and can't sleep unless I eat something. Peanut butter toast has been my go-to but I was wondering if anyone had any better/slightly healthier suggestions? I'm sure most people would just eat a banana or something but I have an odd allergy that makes fruit a no-go.

BrianBoitano posted:

Eat as much as you like, but it's a classic "complex carbs which keep you full" food which also happens to be easy to prepare in different ways, and can easily feel like a dessert.

Baked with a touch of whipped cream or granola topping is an obvious choice, but you can go hog wild with any prep. Microwave steamed and mashed is probably quickest if that's a consideration.

Yeah, this sounds like a two-part problem, for sure.

1) What can I eat that isn't trash?
2) What can I eat that isn't trash, and doesn't take an hour to cook.

Having some mashed sweet potato to go in the microwave isn't a bad choice.

Some other thoughts:

Carrots and Hummus
Scrambled eggs. (Ideally do these as omlette cups. I did them when I was dieting and I need to start doing them again. Recipe to follow.)
Peanut butter and Celery
Beans and Rice (though from a strict nutritional standpoint, I'm not convinced that's any better than peanut butter toast)

Basically, I'd try to pick proteins and veggies over proteins and carbs. Fat's just fine as long as it's paired with fiber and protein instead of sugar.

Omelet Cups

- Muffin Tin with 12 cups
- 1 dozen Eggs*
- 240g ham/bacon (optional*)
- 1 bell pepper (color optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- coconut or avocado oil

Set oven to 375.
Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and beat them until smooth
Wipe or spray the cups in the muffin tin.
Evenly distribute ham/pepper/onion (mushrooms/cheese/spinach/basil/whatever) into the muffin cups.
Ladle beaten egg into the cups.
Bake until the egg sets, about 25 minutes.
Let cool completely, then use a thin knife or spatula to carefully remove the omelet muffins. Transfer them to a sealable container in the fridge.

*Note that depending on your muffin tin, you may need more or less eggs. Also when it comes to fillings, the sky is the limit. I usually use ham or sausage, because it means I don't have to salt the eggs. I've used spinach too (well drained and pressed), cheese, mushrooms, chili peppers, tomato. Whatever you put in an omelet, you can put in this If you commit to a diet that limits sugar and carbs, then these things are great because they're a filling snack and you can pack them with as much vegetable matter as you want.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I'm hungry late at night usually the broiler is my buddy. Lately my go-to is greenbeans, trim them, toss them in a little oil and whatever spices or sauce you want, then broil them until as crispy as you like.
These are some I had a few nights ago:

Today was my grocery day so last night was really a "what's left" type snack-- I wound up stuffing a few small poblanos with black bean puree and topping them scallions and bread crumbs, popped under the broiler until it had a nice crust on top. For broccoli I like to broil it and while it's in there whip up a very very basic sambal oelek, soy sauce, and sesame oil sauce to toss it with when it's out.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Start having the food 10 minutes earlier every night until you've untaught your body to do that?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jato posted:

being unsatisfied with your cooking, even if its good, means you are always trying to improve, which seems like a good way to live imo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jato posted:

Yeah. I get that feel when I make a mistake, most often when I stop reading the recipe for a couple steps, forgot to buy an ingredient, or burn something. Comes down to paying attention for me.

Jato posted:

Other than a few basics I don’t feel like I can cook much successfully without following a recipe, and I have never really developed a repertoire of “go to” meals or techniques that I can consistently make or improvise and turn out well.

Getting a regular rotation is a great goal, but I've never understood the "able to cook without a recipe" goal. I'm content, creativity and flexibility wise, always starting with a recipe and making modest changes for ingredients or to combine two recipes.

Jato posted:

but was just wondering if anyone has felt similarly or has any suggestions on just improving my fundamental cooking skills?

Depends on how you feel your dishes are falling short. Depth of flavor? Texture? Visual appeal?

The other thing, the ability to go without a recipe, isn't really a fundamental so you'd need a specific book about cooking without a recipe.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think the reason to want to be able to cook without a recipe is, for me, about being able to look at the ingredients you have on hand and to make something delicious.

I'm OK at it, within reason, and it means that my family get a halfway decent variety of meals cooked every day without me having to go out and buy extra ingredients if I have an idea for dinner.

I would say the best way to get better is just to practice. It's not something that comes overnight, you need to just keep plugging away at it, cooking from recipes sometimes, doing things a bit by trial and error at other times, and trying to push the boundaries of your comfort zone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For me it's about range too. I can cook a narrow range of dishes very well, reliably and without a recipe, but I'm also lacking experience in what I'd consider some very basic skills. I wouldn't trust myself to cook a steak or roast a chicken and I feel like claiming "I can cook" would bring up some false expectations.

... gently caress though maybe I should roast a chicken this weekend. What's the worst that could happen. Maybe it turns out I can after all.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for the responses/advice all. Lots of good stuff here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

For me it's about range too. I can cook a narrow range of dishes very well, reliably and without a recipe, but I'm also lacking experience in what I'd consider some very basic skills. I wouldn't trust myself to cook a steak or roast a chicken and I feel like claiming "I can cook" would bring up some false expectations.

... gently caress though maybe I should roast a chicken this weekend. What's the worst that could happen. Maybe it turns out I can after all.

This really hits the nail on the head. There's a few things I can make really well, and in addition I can make up a drat good steak if I throw it in the sous vide. But if you put me in somebody else's kitchen and gave me a whole chicken or a steak I wouldn't have any confidence that I can cook it properly. I probably just need to practice more dishes with simple techniques until I feel like I have a better grasp of them.

Scientastic posted:

I think the reason to want to be able to cook without a recipe is, for me, about being able to look at the ingredients you have on hand and to make something delicious.

I'm OK at it, within reason, and it means that my family get a halfway decent variety of meals cooked every day without me having to go out and buy extra ingredients if I have an idea for dinner.

I would say the best way to get better is just to practice. It's not something that comes overnight, you need to just keep plugging away at it, cooking from recipes sometimes, doing things a bit by trial and error at other times, and trying to push the boundaries of your comfort zone.

This is also what I feel like I'm lacking in terms of "cooking without a recipe". I'm sure I'll never be able to improvise with what's on hand and churn out a masterpiece, but I just want to get more comfortable with making a meal with what's on hand, or walking into the store and grabbing what I need to make a decent dinner without having picked out and planned a recipe beforehand.

guppy posted:

Instead of How To Cook Everything, you might like to take a look at Ruhlman's Twenty by Michael Ruhlman. It's one of very few nonfiction books that I've given 5 stars to on Goodreads. It's about twenty fundamental cooking techniques (braising, sauteing, etc.), but where most cookbooks would give these methods an inset, or a page, each technique gets an in-depth discussion in its own chapter, talking about all the little details and why you do things in a certain way to get the best results. At the end of each chapter is a handful of recipes employing that chapter's technique, so you can apply the things you learned. I really loved this book. The hardcover version is $25 (and worth it!), but the Kindle version is only $4 for some reason, which is an absolute steal. I think this might be a good fit for you because it will help you understand why things work the way they do, which will help you adapt on the fly.

This looks really good, going to pick up a copy - thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I can only say I'm good at cooking what I like, which is mostly pretty straightforward American stuff. I'm totally comfortable searing a steak or roasting a chicken, but for example, I don't do stir-fry or even lasagna because I'm not into them. I tend to be in a pretty "meat + vegetable + carb" mindset, and I'm very flexible about timing. I'm fine with that since it's what I like, but obviously those all prevent me from being good at cooking period. I'm not going on a cooking show anytime soon.

I think if you have the opportunity to push yourself, it really builds confidence. This summer, after testing and strict quarantine, I went with a bunch of friends to a cabin in the middle of the woods for two weeks. I did probably like 60-70% of the cooking for the eight of us, and we had zero plan until we got there (and then the grocery store was tiny and we had to improvise). I had never cooked for a big group before, plus a totally unfamiliar kitchen, plus some bizarre expectations that we would eat at regular times and all the dishes would be ready at once?? I was definitely concerned going in, but it went really well. Like, I wouldn't have said I could bang out pounds of fresh pasta and improvise with it and fresh lobster, but it was a hit.

It helps to have a safety net -- in that example, people were fine with an extended cocktail hour and lots of crackers so nobody got hangry waiting -- but the more you can stretch yourself, the better you'll feel about it, imo.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like chickens have some kind of cachet that they completely don't deserve at all. If you can open and close an oven, you got this. I make Bouchon chicken like every 10 days in the winter. Don't stress about getting a tiny bird, do put it on a rack (get a vertical roaster for like $12 if you get into it). Add whatever seasonings you want, and imo it doesn't need butter.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

I long for the day when I am tired of foie gras.

What would happen if you fed a goose only foie gras, and then fed its concentrated foie gras liver to other geese, increasing the concentration ever and ever more

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody have a preferred "neutral" method for cooking a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breast at once? I want to make a few pounds on the weekend to throw into X or Y dish throughout the week. Brining and poaching is okay but each batch takes a lot of prep. I can grill a few pounds at a time, but that's gonna be less appealing as it gets colder.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody have a preferred "neutral" method for cooking a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breast at once? I want to make a few pounds on the weekend to throw into X or Y dish throughout the week. Brining and poaching is okay but each batch takes a lot of prep. I can grill a few pounds at a time, but that's gonna be less appealing as it gets colder.

Do you not have time to fry up chicken breast at the time? This sounds like a really good way to get some very dry chicken.

Edit: we portion up and freeze a lot of chicken thighs (way better than breast) and when I want to put some in a dish in the evening, I put it in the fridge the night before, slice/dice/whatever before I need it and fry it, which takes all of about five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lester Shy posted:

Sous vide.