Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It doesn't sound like there was ever a time when "just make a similar sequel to your simple turn based game" was considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Many existential questions were pondered, and many possible scenarios considered.

For example: should I do some work, or just copy-paste a dark draker into the sewers?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Communist Thoughts posted:

It doesn't sound like there was ever a time when "just make a similar sequel to your simple turn based game" was considered

It's not what people donated over a hundred thousand dollars for, either. You can go back to the beginning of the thread and see that nobody was asking for another simple faux-RPG maker game or expressing skepticism at the idea of what they were pitching, it's only in hindsight that people have some kind of weird temporal sour grapes about it.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Is whosits still "working on" the game

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I miss you Brimley 2

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I LOVE YOU BARKLEY MORRIS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

It's not what people donated over a hundred thousand dollars for, either. You can go back to the beginning of the thread and see that nobody was asking for another simple faux-RPG maker game or expressing skepticism at the idea of what they were pitching, it's only in hindsight that people have some kind of weird temporal sour grapes about it.

I just wanted a dumb joke'z vehicle mostly.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

come on lads post your dakis

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I just wanted a dumb joke'z vehicle mostly.

Same

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Making another jrpg in the same vein as the first one would've been much more manageable and no one would've said that they wish it was an action game instead, and it would've been done in 2014. But I think you haven't considered the most important aspect: it wouldn't have been as cool as barbley2 is today.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the next game's kickstarter will offer a dark draki

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Cybershell posted:

come on lads post your dakis

Mine's in storage across the country. I fear the day when my girlfriend will see it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think making something like a Mario RPG woulda been the way to go but that's just me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FunMerrania posted:

Mine's in storage across the country. I fear the day when my girlfriend will see it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can we crowdfund an unauthorized bootleg sequel to Barkley?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can we crowdfund an unauthorized bootleg sequel to Barkley?

Paypal me :10bux: and we'll talk

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

:smithicide:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can we crowdfund an unauthorized bootleg sequel to Barkley cyberdwarf dakis?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

This is why I keep this dumb dead thread bookmarked

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
So when's the game coming out?

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Snake Dance posted:

So when's the game coming out?

11/11/2023

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Looking forward to it!

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Cool, thanks! Going to invest heavily in the kickstarter.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
The promise has been made.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

The promise has been made.

Oh right, Jeffery made good. Cool so this is what a fulfilled promise looks like.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Since it turns out Lowtax was underreporting the forums' income the whole time, hopefully Jeffery will put the surplus towards development of the game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Snake Dance posted:

Since it turns out Lowtax was underreporting the forums' income the whole time, hopefully Jeffery will put the surplus towards development of the game.

Really? The Lowtax bit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Really? The Lowtax bit.

yeah the forums only cost like a kay a month to run and before being put on the cloud were 2000-3000ish. They were always profitable

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tunicate posted:

yeah the forums only cost like a kay a month to run and before being put on the cloud were 2000-3000ish. They were always profitable

Excuse me, fancy golden belly cookies were a necessary business expense.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

how many goldbelly cookies did backers give to barkley

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

how many goldbelly cookies did backers give to barkley

about as many punches he threw to his loved ones

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

to be fair, that's still a lowball answer because the forums have multiple employees who require wages.

and I'm... pretty sure at least some of them were getting paid before? admins get a wage right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

egg tats posted:

to be fair, that's still a lowball answer because the forums have multiple employees who require wages.

and I'm... pretty sure at least some of them were getting paid before? admins get a wage right?

is this post for real

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Midjack posted:

is this post for real

this feels like a weird trap? yes labour costs should be included in the cost of running the forums, and $1400 isn't going to buy you any goldbellys if you've got employees to pay too.

unless the admins all worked for free. which wouldn't exactly shock me based on everything else he did.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

wait you didn't get paid to post on the forums?

weird poo poo

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

egg tats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us3_8FxoAls

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

egg tats posted:

this feels like a weird trap? yes labour costs should be included in the cost of running the forums, and $1400 isn't going to buy you any goldbellys if you've got employees to pay too.

unless the admins all worked for free. which wouldn't exactly shock me based on everything else he did.

site staff all do the job for free. the only money sa pays employees has been sometimes for coders, occasionally for front page writers, and infrequent one offs like whatever that marketing person was several months back and we all saw how that went. there are good reasons not to create employer/employee relationships with admins, mods, and iks given the way the forums operate.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I wanna see the mod system shift to a gig economy where every report ticket is worth 0.25bux to the mod and admin who adjudicated it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Barkleigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

They call me the Bark Braker