Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Mekchu...good posting.

Well now we all know you don't read the MMA threads. Way to get caught lying dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly I've tried and I feel like the response every time is that anything else would be too difficult, I care too much, or I'm worried about problems (like someone using their dumb posting crown to abuse the position) that won't happen and couldn't happen (even though they have) so I've stopped bothering. People in charge seem very happy with the system we have and don't seem to want to examine anything about it. So honestly if you think it's a good idea you should go to QCS or the mod forum and pass it up to someone because I've never gotten anywhere.

Obviously it is still early days and who knows what will actually change with Jeffrey as site-owner now, but I will say I feel like a lot of the problems with getting any changes made over the last few years were almost entirely down to Lowtax being so absentee, showing up every so often without warning and doing something without telling anybody and then disappearing again for months at a time. If there is ever a time to push for wholesale changes or even just an examination of the way things currently work and what changes could be made, it's probably now when there's a new owner who is keen to get to work on changes that couldn't be made (or were made and then arbitrarily overturned by the old owner) before now.

Again though, that is definitely a QCS thread type of situation, rather than something to be hashed out in this thread.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This subforum was literally founded to protect my right to type the words "Fat Shitrione" and now I have been probed for it. A crying shame.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Seth Rollins posted:

i can't make fun of Big Swole for having to poop all the time, that's just something she was born with, how dare i make a joke about someone with the pooping disease. but Adam Cole? gently caress that dude in his 6 foot tall rear end, am i right

sr you're good people and I appreciate that you try to keep the moderation team honest but the argument "I should be able to make fun of someone's crohns disease" loving sucks and is well beneath you

i would also like to point out that originally the joke wasn't at adam cole's expense. it was at the fact that vince, once again, was billing someone well below 6' tall as being 6' tall even though it's wildly apparent that is not the case. it eventually evolved into mocking cole which sucks (and I'm guilty of it) but is lost in the "gently caress everything associated with WWE" vacuum

i dunno, I just feel like "jokes that are ethically nebulous" and "jokes that are played out and boring" are two vastly different things, one of which sometimes requires moderation and one of which can be largely self policed. although the latter has been moderated at points ("you owe me a new keyboard", "golden manbabies", etc.) so maybe I should shut up and go back to my hovel.

so i guess in closing FI is a land of contrasts and we live in a society so turn on your monitor

Critical fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 17, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

A post that was apparently in horrendous taste and needed to be punished:

Cavauro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb-gvqsoi0

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

A post that was apparently in horrendous taste and needed to be punished:

cavauro wasn't actually probed lol

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah if you write that it will automatically put the part in.

e: Oh the probation was real, my bad. Just 3 months old.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 17, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Posting in threads to tell people you're not watching is really lame as-is but posting absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the thread is just drive-by shitposting and has generally always been a rule, at least in most forums. It's a little different in Fight Island because there's so many different types of wrestling, but if you went into the Dragon Ball Z thread and said "man this sucks I hate it go watch Naruto instead" that'd get a probation. Or like what happens constantly in the WoW forums where people pop in to say "I haven't subbed in years but Final Fantasy 15 is better"

Going off topic happens but I don't know what was so compelling about a random no-context, no text kpop song in a Smackdown GDT

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's not fake

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
does cavauro actually care about the probation from july that you're bringing up in october

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Using your buttons in a situation where a light "hey cut that out" would more than suffice is what I'm talking about.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

NienNunb posted:

Using your buttons in a situation where a light "hey cut that out" would more than suffice is what I'm talking about.
He does it all the time though, it isn't like he's clueless about shitposting

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Are GDTs meant for serious effort posting now? Your other examples you (RealFoxy) gave were about like, people trolling effort mega-threads and poo poo. GDTs are where people say "OMG HE HIT THE MOVE!!!!!~!~" and the emoticon with the face going :o and getting bigger. I'm not trying to fight Cavauro's battles, he is perfectly capable of doing that on his own, but I think it's a salient example of a poor use of buttons. Given that this is the feedback thread, my belief is that it is okay to provide feedback like this. Perhaps a single youtube link of a catchy K-Pop tune in the WWE SmackDown! GDT really is disruptive to the point of punishment, but I'm not seeing it. If your response is that it is bad posting and annoys you, well that's just like, your opinion, man! lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was no-context, off-topic shitpost that had no reason to be made in that thread. This seems like a weird hill to die on.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Who is dying on a hill? Why do people say poo poo like that? Christ

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It was no-context, off-topic shitpost that had no reason to be made in that thread. This seems like a weird hill to die on.

NienNunb posted:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

When people talk about not having concerns taken seriously, the bolded part is why. The first sentence is all you need to explain your actions and would have been enough. The second one dismisses their concern as trivial and needless and does nothing but cause friction.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Critical posted:

When people talk about not having concerns taken seriously, the bolded part is why. The first sentence is all you need to explain your actions and would have been enough. The second one dismisses their concern as trivial and needless and does nothing but cause friction.

Yes. I feel like this is an environment where i cannot share my feedback and be actually heard, in this, the feedback thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

Who is dying on a hill? Why do people say poo poo like that? Christ

A three month old six-hour probation for somebody who dumped a music video link as a driveby contextless shitpost getting brought up as an example of over-the-top moderation just seems really weird to me, especially when the context of the discussion was about people getting mad about jokes. I've also posted "hey cut that out" when posts like Cavauro's that have been made in the past, and when it still happens there comes a point when probations are necessary to get the message across.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Man...this place is wild. Alright man lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Critical posted:

I apologize, I am genuinely perplexed as to why that probation in particular got pulled out but I shouldn't have added that extra line.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Help me understand what (the general) thing people are going for here, because the same ones who wanted to put a soft-ban on the Adam Cole & other jokes ran into the ground are also fine with things like out of context kpop videos that similarly, contribute nothing to a conversation

How are those two things any different?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That probation on me wasn't real

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RealFoxy posted:

How are those two things any different?
Other people are doing them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I agree with the above posters that you should stop punishing anyone in GDTs unless they say horrific things.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think people should be probated for jokes, I just think people should strive for better. I'm pretty consistent in my "stop unnecessary probations" philosophy

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

But again how many knock it off's does one need to have before you have to up it to probations. GDT's are pretty lax as it is.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

people are going to post, and i don't know how to accept that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I'm pretty consistent in my "stop unnecessary probations" philosophy

You are and you should be. We won't always agree on what is unnecessary but you should always feel free to ask those questions. Cavauro's post brought up earlier wasn't even a joke though, it was just a link to a music video and nothing else, had no context or association with the thread it was posted in, and they'd done it before in other threads and been asked not to. I think it was an entirely appropriate probation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wish my GDT joy didn't bother people. when the threads aren't even read. And when other people are just posting (real posts): "SHOW rear end" or "I guess" or "2 pages. Goddamn." i just want to be happy.

Edit to say, that the white flag has been waved on the part of Cavauro Johnson, and the probations are justified as they stand. please do not cause anyone to need to speak of me negatively in order to defend disliking my thoughts or me. Thank you all very much.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 17, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

I agree with the above posters that you should stop punishing anyone in GDTs unless they say horrific things.

I disagree. Else you'll have people like me who don't reallyw atch pro wrestling going into the pro-wrestling threads constantly going "LOL YOU ARE WATCHING THIS? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU" etc. ad nauseum and it gets old fast.

That sort of drive by shitposting isn't really accepted in the sports GDT threads I've read (granted that was ages ago), and we don't really jive with it in the MMA threads. We wanna talk about the event, not kpop videos for Red Velvet (who i will say make good gym music).

Like if the theme of the event was "Monster" and you posted that video, then i'd be here saying it was a good post and worth defending because it had something to do with the event.

Just like I'm gonna post a Jay Park music video in the UFC GDT tomorrow since that's related to the event (look up "Brian Ortega Jay Pak" for that specific context)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mekchu posted:

I disagree. Else you'll have people like me who don't reallyw atch pro wrestling going into the pro-wrestling threads constantly going "LOL YOU ARE WATCHING THIS? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU" etc. ad nauseum and it gets old fast.

That sort of drive by shitposting isn't really accepted in the sports GDT threads I've read (granted that was ages ago), and we don't really jive with it in the MMA threads. We wanna talk about the event, not kpop videos for Red Velvet (who i will say make good gym music).

Like if the theme of the event was "Monster" and you posted that video, then i'd be here saying it was a good post and worth defending because it had something to do with the event.

Just like I'm gonna post a Jay Park music video in the UFC GDT tomorrow since that's related to the event (look up "Brian Ortega Jay Pak" for that specific context)

Dang now I want to do this.

Also I think the only thing I have to add to this current conversation is that I think there is something to letting like, 1 out of 10 things slide. Let people feel like they got away with something now and then, makes them feel good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't post in wrestling GDTs but from my experience in soccer and cricket GDTs, people tend to either no-sell random posts or tell them to gently caress off depending on whether the content is considered to be trolly. I know that WWE is a horrible corporation run by horrible people and that pro wrestling isn't really a sport, but... I don't know, insert joke about FIFA and ICC here I guess? My view is that you can just scroll over it because who cares but idk. It probably would be annoying if more than a few people did it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Fight Island's definition of "gamethreads" is really all that synonymous with the standard idea. Like the usual point of a gamethread is a bunch of people all watching the same thing and interested and engaged in it. But for years now the point of RAW gdts has been to poo poo post through a show they want to be distracted from. They're basically opposite notions and I don't think its much mystery why FI regulars naturally come up against it.

Like a RAW gdt has more in common with a TVIV hatewatching thread of something like Dexter or Sons of Anarchy than a sports playoff gdt.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I did not mean to start an all day discourse on the morality of off topic posts in GDTs, I just wanted to use an example from a friend of a post I felt was unfairly punished. Obviously others strongly, passionately disagree. Good night.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Fight Island's definition of "gamethreads" is really all that synonymous with the standard idea. Like the usual point of a gamethread is a bunch of people all watching the same thing and interested and engaged in it. But for years now the point of RAW gdts has been to poo poo post through a show they want to be distracted from. They're basically opposite notions and I don't think its much mystery why FI regulars naturally come up against it.

Like a RAW gdt has more in common with a TVIV hatewatching thread of something like Dexter or Sons of Anarchy than a sports playoff gdt.

Some of us are not entirely hate watching. If that’s the mood i’m in I just don’t post, if i’m posting in the GDT for Smackdown or something it’s because I like that show. But others making GBS threads on it doesn’t bother me, I think the GDTs are fine the way they are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Some of us are not entirely hate watching. If that’s the mood i’m in I just don’t post, if i’m posting in the GDT for Smackdown or something it’s because I like that show. But others making GBS threads on it doesn’t bother me, I think the GDTs are fine the way they are.

I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be. I'm just saying "game threading" aren't really the same basic thing everywhere so the basic question of "poo poo posting in a gamethread" isn't quite a 1:1 comparison here. And I think this entire thing seems to go to some extent to an idea of some people fighting for their right to "poo poo post" as they've become accustomed to.

Like, the fact that the thread devolved into 2 pages of the usual stuff when it was asked for the thread not to do that seems like a pretty obvious example of the cultural clash at play here. And my guess is a few of those posters who ate probations for it feel those probations were arbitrary and part of the problem while others probably feel they were deserved and basically a called bluff to that thread rule.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

And my guess is a few of those posters who ate probations for it feel those probations were arbitrary and part of the problem while others probably feel they were deserved and basically a called bluff to that thread rule.

Fwiw as one of the people probated I think they were all deserved including mine

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Imo people should stop engaging with wwe in general like how the old tna threads used to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008