Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

And even after you find their real identity, it’s just a normal person. Oh, so you’re telling me this vtuber that sounds like a Japanese woman is actually a Japanese woman? Shocking. I don’t know what people are hoping to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcYcXKAQX0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

trucutru posted:

That's basically Coco's usual thing. Wait until she has to go to the bathroom to see the real deal.

Oh yeah, I know about Coco's "flushing". Its absolutely hilarious.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the poo poo about "chinese antis" seems to at this point mostly be a bunch of people stuck in a feedback loop of getting mad and worried about Someone Somewhere Doing Something and not actually.........anything happening. i think people can relax

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Varinn posted:

the poo poo about "chinese antis" seems to at this point mostly be a bunch of people stuck in a feedback loop of getting mad and worried about Someone Somewhere Doing Something and not actually.........anything happening. i think people can relax

There definitely was chat spam, but regular chat outnumbered them like 20 to 1. If this was supposed to be the BIGGEST ATTACK EVER we don’t have much to worry about.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Varinn posted:

no it's for sure happening, they were barraging the absolute poo poo out of the asacoco chat stream

it's just that what they were doing doesn't actually matter and didn't affect anything. but they're definitely actively loving around in statistically significant number and will probably keep doing poo poo for a while, maybe try to engineer fake strikes and poo poo, but the only lasting damage they can do now that cover has decided not to give a gently caress is yell about copyright stuff and whatnot

it was a potential problem right up until cover finally announced, essentially, that they weren't going to cave to the pressure. now the net result is that it looks clear that they're going to work harder to expand to the EN audience, given the gangbusters success of HoloEN. miko and marine making reddit accounts feels like a piece of that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lyer posted:

I loving love it. I also loved all the girls that showed up for the small segments, especially Fubuki, it was nice of them all show her support.

E: Miko also posted on reddit...something is definitely up.
I don't think there's any big anti-Chinese conspiracy, just holomyth and that shark coming out of nowhere to win the million sub race has everyone thinking about English more than they were before. They're probably making more from English speakers than they ever did on Bilibili anyway, anyone that isn't Aqua or Fubuki earned gently caress all from that site

Its not just hololive either, everyone is working hard to appeal overseas, most English vtuber content right now than there's ever been

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The real test is coco's first live stream when she has less than 5k viewers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wait, what's Holomyth?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait, what's Holomyth?

It’s the nickname for Hololive EN Gen 1. Just like Hololive Gen 3 is Hololive Fantasy.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait, what's Holomyth?

Just another name for Hololive EN first generation. They're all mythical creatures (phoenix, eldritch horror, reaper, talking shark, gremlin)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

arisu posted:

Just another name for Hololive EN first generation. They're all mythical creatures (phoenix, eldritch horror, reaper, talking shark, gremlin)

technically gura's an atlantean who's obsessed with sharks but I'm not sure if even she knows that

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Is there one of these Holos that are a good starting point? The vtuber wiki seems to give a bit of an overload of info and who to start from.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

arisu posted:

Aaaaah gotcha.

Although isn't Amelia technically a time traveling detective? I guess the "myth" angle there is an urban legend sort of thing?

Mazerunner posted:

technically gura's an atlantean who's obsessed with sharks but I'm not sure if even she knows that

There's generally a tonne of mythological connections regarding the sea so all sorts of angles kinda work.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Is there one of these Holos that are a good starting point? The vtuber wiki seems to give a bit of an overload of info and who to start from.

Follow a EN, watch clips that get smashed into your recommends because of the algorithm and get lost forever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Imagine adding data points to the youtube algorithm

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mazerunner posted:

She's claimed to be half shark.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

There's HoloEN now as the obvious answer but im not gonna not post Korone and PPT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiIiLt2ptY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMLWIt9md4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFCD9KB-COQ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Watson absolutely made up the time traveller thing on the spot when chat started calling her a boomer

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Imo just search for "hololive minecraft" and click on whatever, their minecraft server is fuckin looney tunes and you'll get exposed to all kinds of characters.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Eej posted:

Imagine adding data points to the youtube algorithm

Aren't you always doing this any time you use youtube unless you, i dunno, clear your cookies every session?

Also, the youtube algorithm is actually working for most people re: vtubers if all the various 'how did I get into vtubers' stories are any indication

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

how could i forgot BURGER FOX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrYy9I_xRw

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

arisu posted:

I liked the way another poster put it a few weeks ago: Four mythical monsters, and one real one

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://twitter.com/tokino_sora/status/1317971596988932102

Sora herself has stepped up to welcome Coco and Haachama. On top of all the others, Roboco and Shion have also done the same, which adds to nearly all Hololive girls vocally speaking up in support.

Subaru, Pekora, and Aqua haven't posted since yesterday's show - they're likely still tuckered out - but I don't imagine it'll be any different with them.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

The 5 Hololive English people, Calli, Kiara, Ina, Amelia and Gura, are absurdly popular compared to how recently they debuted (only a bit over a month ago), and I'd say their recent content is intentionally accessible since they were Hololive's first foray into a new market. They mention and interact with their Japanese counterparts often enough it'll probably ease you into it.

Also Coco's thrice-weekly "news" show on Hololive, AsaCoco, did a lot to really solidify the idea of there being a Hololive "universe" rather than it just being a disparate grab bag of vtubers, and she just started making those again today. It's not a serious show but it's still probably how a lot of people came to follow Hololive as a whole rather than just individuals. She also writes English subtitles for those herself and people expect that part to continue (though they take a bit to appear)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gura's already just shy of 80k from a million. Shark cannot be stopped.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

booksnake posted:

Aren't you always doing this any time you use youtube unless you, i dunno, clear your cookies every session?

Also, the youtube algorithm is actually working for most people re: vtubers if all the various 'how did I get into vtubers' stories are any indication

Clicking recommended videos on your homescreen, after a video has played or on the sidebar is a stronger algorithmic reinforcement than just visiting the site and leaving a trail or even just clicking a channel and going through all the videos. Yeah, recommended videos is how people get into vtubers but the recommendation algorithm is literally responsible for all the other awful poo poo on Youtube. Taken as an individual it really doesn't matter what you click on Youtube so you can do whatever but en masse, using their recommendation algorithms is what lets them make buckets of money off your data.

It was half tongue in cheek and half serious. If you want to minimize the amount of money that Youtube generates off your usage then navigating directly to a video by link or search generates less useful data for them.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Although isn't Amelia technically a time traveling detective? I guess the "myth" angle there is an urban legend sort of thing?

Amelia's "myth" thing is indeed the time travel. People just call her a gremlin because holy poo poo, watch some of her streams. Or at least the highlights. :v:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Bloody Pom posted:

Gura's already just shy of 80k from a million. Shark cannot be stopped.

I wonder how (if at all) Gura and/or Korone surpassing Fubuki would change the current Hololive dynamic. Fubuki is the unofficial queen of Hololive, and seems to act almost like an embassador for the brand. Is that gonna change if she isn't (technically) the most popular member, or will her history and social skills keep her as Hololive's de facto ruler?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I wonder how (if at all) Gura and/or Korone surpassing Fubuki would change the current Hololive dynamic. Fubuki is the unofficial queen of Hololive, and seems to act almost like an embassador for the brand. Is that gonna change if she isn't (technically) the most popular member, or will her history and social skills keep her as Hololive's de facto ruler?

Nothing will change. Fubuki's position isn't because of her sub count, it's because she works hardest among the Hololivers to support the other girls and even boys.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fubuki is still much more well-known in Japan, I'd venture.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fubuki has that rep because she personally organizes a lot of poo poo herself and works hard to promote the other hololivers, but also isn't afraid to set things straight on twitter or on stream if she doesn't like what's happening. Extreme leadership energy. Like, the race to one million is something she's hyped up herself, because its a competition that gets people excited about hololive, generally.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Why would it change? Sora's been the face of hololive despite not being the top 15 most subscribed since like late 2019.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MechaCrash posted:

Amelia's "myth" thing is indeed the time travel. People just call her a gremlin because holy poo poo, watch some of her streams. Or at least the highlights. :v:
I honestly have no idea what her content was going to be before she got turbo-addicted to Minecraft, because she's put like 100 hours a week into it since she started

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I just started super recently too and it didn't take long to fall into the rabbit hole. The ones that stick out the most are the Hololive EN girls, who are

Amelia Watson, a dective and I suspect who the original leader of the group was supposed to be. She's a gremlin who plays Minecraft basically non-stop
Ina, a Cthulu inspired girl who's just super chill and usually draws for streams
Gura, a shark girl who's quickly become one of the most popular HoloLive girls. She's bubbly and fun, and also streams Minecraft a lot.
Kiara, a Phoenix who is just....Kinda crazy and hyper all the time
Mori, a Grim Reaper who is an extremely talented rapper/singer but an anxious mess 100% of the time she isn't singing

Then out of the Japanese girls, there's

Coco, a Dragon who has an extremely filthy mouth and is fluent in English. She's a natural leader and does a lot of meme-reviews from Reddit along with teaching all the Japanese girls extremely weird/obscene things in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcW75aH5WXE

Pekora, a rabbit who's some kind of mad genius/prankster and is always terrorizing people in Minecraft. Also very well known for her very distinct laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tdmtX5KXw

Karone, a dog who plays the biggest variety of games I've seen yet and is is a living meme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFtSS55T_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxAMlKygBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkwQ76DgPE8

This video also helped me get familiar with the other girls names/faces along with some clips from most of them. HoloLive is supposed to be a bunch of Idol Groups but most of them are either batshit crazy or total degenerates with maybe less than 5 of them being....actually idol-like

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Falls Down Stairs posted:

The 5 Hololive English people, Calli, Kiara, Ina, Amelia and Gura, are absurdly popular compared to how recently they debuted (only a bit over a month ago), and I'd say their recent content is intentionally accessible since they were Hololive's first foray into a new market. They mention and interact with their Japanese counterparts often enough it'll probably ease you into it.

Also Coco's thrice-weekly "news" show on Hololive, AsaCoco, did a lot to really solidify the idea of there being a Hololive "universe" rather than it just being a disparate grab bag of vtubers, and she just started making those again today. It's not a serious show but it's still probably how a lot of people came to follow Hololive as a whole rather than just individuals. She also writes English subtitles for those herself and people expect that part to continue (though they take a bit to appear)

Japanese Holos reaching out to English audiences by speaking English? Or English Holos (does such a mass market thing exist?)

(jesus christ i'm falling in a hole fast)

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

The thing I really wanna know if (at all) HoloEn will get 3D models. Since we know Mori & Chicken are in Japan but the other three might be difficult.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Japanese Holos reaching out to English audiences by speaking English? Or English Holos (does such a mass market thing exist?)

3 are basically North American, one is probably a North American in Japan teaching English as a side gig and the last is most likely of Japanese descent and currently lives in Japan, but grew up in Europe? Long story short their streams are generally catered to English viewers, but, knowing that the majority of the fanbase is aware of the main JP branch, so there is some crossover from time to time.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 19, 2020

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Hololive EN girls are English speaking, though two of them (Calli and Kiara) currently do live in Japan.

There's also Hololive Indonesia (all 3) and Hololive China (2 out of 6) who have English speaking talents. Hololive Japan pretty much only has Coco that is fluent in English, but Haachama is learning pretty fast as she currently lives as a student in Australia.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I honestly have no idea what her content was going to be before she got turbo-addicted to Minecraft, because she's put like 100 hours a week into it since she started

A ton of FPS and puzzle games.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Korone probably has the third best English in Hololive JP. Pekora is slowly getting better just from interaction with Moona lol

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Korone probably has the third best English in Hololive JP. Pekora is slowly getting better just from interaction with Moona lol

HELLO MOONA!!! HOW ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I AM THE MOON posted:

HELLO MOONA!!! HOW ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im really glad HoloID is getting some more attention thanks to Moona's minecraft antics. they get ignored too much