Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Was kinda hoping there was not going to be any brain fades at the end

EDIT: Garbage Holden drivers smashing up their cars so SVG can win

You Am I fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Waters doesn't have the pace so his only chance is on a restart anyway

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That’s the end of a factory backed Holden effort in supercars since gm decided to ditch the left hand drive market as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That’s the end of a factory backed Holden effort in supercars since gm decided to ditch the left hand drive market as well.

*right hand drive.

I'd somehow forgotten that news, ugh. GM somehow thinks that shrinking their footprint will lead to more profits, good luck to them.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

HAHAHAH PETITE

Heads to Autosport.com

:vince:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Very retro Petit. Pipo being overly aggressive and crashing into people, Porsche winning in GTLM, Mazda’s hopes and spirit being crushed... good antidote to 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

Very retro Petit. Pipo being overly aggressive and crashing into people, Porsche winning in GTLM, Mazda’s hopes and spirit being crushed... good antidote to 2020

sportscar nature is healing :unsmith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

harperdc posted:

*right hand drive.

I'd somehow forgotten that news, ugh. GM somehow thinks that shrinking their footprint will lead to more profits, good luck to them.

the cult of RONA claims another

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Whomever was asking, Le Mans is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQkvdHxuJw

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

That was me. Thanks!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1318940955790184452
:shrug:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Is....isnt that what electric formula extreme E or what its called is? No im not gonna click the link.

So many racing series that are never gonna see the light of day, and im looking at you SRX or whatever its called

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Ah yes the answer to the question everyone’s asking: how can we combine the gimmicks of kart racing videogames, the brutal expense of actual racing, and the worst automotive segment ever prolapsed onto the public into a single series so we can scam some overfunded, mysterious electric startups with names like Ampr and ElekDrive into throwing us sponsorship money until their venture capital runs out

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The ipace etrophy was fun and I will miss it's particular flavour of nonsense. This is gimmicks piled on top of gimmicks. Jumps, joker laps, drift zones and sprinklers all in one place! What could go right?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Part of me is cynical in that electric crossover racing is exactly the thing that should pull factory support. Crossovers are what they all want to sell and obviously future is electric so all their R&D should have the most carryover to production vehicles? But ugh.

The other part of me: This is the future that liberals want.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 21, 2020

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Broke: racing a lithe sports car through a twisting ribbon of asphalt carved into the green countryside

Woke: racing an electric version of your mom’s car through some Armco barriers set up in the State Farm Show Complex

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love the current trend of flinging poo poo at the wall to try and come up with a new racing series while half the auto industry is pulling out of motorsport.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheBacon posted:

The other part of me: This is the future that liberals want.

I'm a liberal and yeah I don't know what they're trying to appeal to. I like fast cars and hell I was going to road atlanta for races at age like 1. Maybe they're looking for liberals who hate cars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

I love the current trend of flinging poo poo at the wall to try and come up with a new racing series while half the auto industry is pulling out of motorsport.

it's trying to find ways to get factory support -- and to do so, it needs to be "relevant" at a time when all the OEMs are on top of the diving board and wondering when and how to jump in on electric. throwing cubic dollars at stuff that doesn't support this shift doesn't seem like a winner. and don't forget that half of Formula E support is the electric, but the other part is that it is 'supposed' to be so much cheaper than Formula 1 or other top-level motorsport.

this must have been really how it felt in the 1960s and 1970s when series would start and die in quick order.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

njsykora posted:

It's literally a meme

No one:
Absolutely no one:
SuperCharge crossover-based global electric race series announced

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orange juche posted:

I'm a liberal and yeah I don't know what they're trying to appeal to. I like fast cars and hell I was going to road atlanta for races at age like 1. Maybe they're looking for liberals who hate cars.

Capital L liberals, I think he means. You know, they buy a tesla (formerly prius) and then shame anyone who doesn't, or anyone who buys a different electric car.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Problem is that electric cars just aren't very good for 45+ minute circuit races at this point. An electric hill climbing or drag racing series would be a lot better in that regard, but I guess that would limit the size of the potential audience.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Who is hyped for Spa 24. This race has Factory Porsche at last!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

algebra testes posted:

Who is hyped for Spa 24. This race has Factory Porsche at last!

Was it last year when it rained for hours?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Capital L liberals, I think he means. You know, they buy a tesla (formerly prius) and then shame anyone who doesn't, or anyone who buys a different electric car.

It's always fun asking these people where their clean electricity comes from :allears:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Penske is leaving Australian Supercars. Kinda seems a bit opportunistic here since they have taken the best driver in the series with them:

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/penske-departs-supercars-mclaughlin-full-time-indycar/4896819/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No track limits spa is very silly

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You Am I posted:

Penske is leaving Australian Supercars. Kinda seems a bit opportunistic here since they have taken the best driver in the series with them:

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/penske-departs-supercars-mclaughlin-full-time-indycar/4896819/

I dont think there was ever much money involved, just like the Andretti deal. The Team Penske name helped DJR sell sponsors, and being involved in Supercars helped Team Penske sell sponsors. It sounds like Shell is staying with DJR, so that's good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

I dont think there was ever much money involved, just like the Andretti deal. The Team Penske name helped DJR sell sponsors, and being involved in Supercars helped Team Penske sell sponsors. It sounds like Shell is staying with DJR, so that's good.

I think it's less "the name was attractive to sponsors" as much as "we extended our deals in the U.S. (and with our Australian businesses) to also include sponsoring the Supercar team." Shell is with Penske because of deals to get products for the rental trucks; the racing sponsorship is part of that, and extending that to the Supercars team is logical (I believe Penske operates there, and they also act as importer for a truck brand there).

I had thought previously that both Andretti-United and Penske had bought into those Supercars teams, but if that's not the case it shouldn't be as big an issue.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spa 24 delayed due to a crash requiring a barrier being repaired.

An ominous start.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I haven't checked. But is it being streamed on YouTube?

Also in the supercars news DJR have confirmed they will be resuming control of Penske for next year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Custard Undies posted:

I haven't checked. But is it being streamed on YouTube?

Also in the supercars news DJR have confirmed they will be resuming control of Penske for next year.

Yes it is, on the GT World channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9_Z9GllBKM

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Brilliant thanks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh this looks like stupid fun - MotoAmerica running a 'King of the Baggers' motorcycle race at Laguna Seca with just about the least track-worthy things you can possibly imagine.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I watched it and it brought great joy. It's like if nascar was motorcycles

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like the Asian Le Mans Series is updating its schedule for 2021 again - instead of having two rounds each at Sepang and Buriram, instead it will have all four rounds at Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi. Two weekends, with two four-hour races each of the weekends.

Womp womp, but COVID so hard to second guess.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
C'mon man, Dubai is right there and it produces so much better racing than Yas Marina.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/dogryan100/status/1321800383505657856

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As much as I wanted Roborace to succeed, watching them completely fail to get the tech actually working has been quite funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
did they go straight to crashing actual race cars? seems like youd crash some shitboxes first.

21 Supercross season is gonna be weird but looks like it will happen.

Dh MTB Racing this weekend should be loving sick, track looks A+. Double header weekend and qualifiying results give season points, so basically a four days of racing in a row. I think this video is from quals 1 which was today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DOA4YsLMg