Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I'm always interested in seeing car videos, and it doesn't sound like you even exceeded the speed limit, so :shrug: :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I'm always interested in seeing car videos, and it doesn't sound like you even exceeded the speed limit, so :shrug: :justpost:

:emptyquote:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry about your buddy Rhyno, hope he recovers quickly and hope they catch the bastards that did it.

Anyone else here play guitar? I've been dabbling for awhile off and on, I mostly play the drums, but I've always loved messing around with electric guitars and I'm finally going to treat myself and get an actual real USA made Gibson and not a Chinese version. Then I'm gonna spend some more money and get an actual good amp and have some sort of real tone.

This is kinda like going from a Corolla to a Corvette in car terms :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

What do you need it to do? I ask because their are surprisingly quite a few small, underpowered win 10 tablets.

I still daily a now almost 6 year old surface pro 2

I can look at the office today if you tell me your needs and budget for one a couple of years ago their was a flood of $79 windows 10 tablets bc Microsoft was licensing windows for free if the screen was under a certain size
That's super generous and I appreciate the kind offer, but it's a gift to someone so probably not appropriate :)

That said, not entirely sure what they are doing with it but I am sure they have ~reasons~ as to wanting a windows native tablet instead of Android. Just don't want to buy woefully underpowered junk if I can avoid it. Probably go with an 8GB M3-8100y unit, unless there are better/more affordable options.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://streamable.com/t1129d

Ok here it is. I know people have started modifying these things I can’t imagine wanting to have any more torque than this tbh.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

That's super generous and I appreciate the kind offer, but it's a gift to someone so probably not appropriate :)

That said, not entirely sure what they are doing with it but I am sure they have ~reasons~ as to wanting a windows native tablet instead of Android. Just don't want to buy woefully underpowered junk if I can avoid it. Probably go with an 8GB M3-8100y unit, unless there are better/more affordable options.

Their are windows tablets around for $200 or less that have 4gb of RAM and the pentium, but if you are going for the m3 8gb that is really the best bang for the buck, other than a used Surface Pro if you got lucky and found one locally with the i5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody donated over $7500 to my dude's GFM and we're shell shocked. Touched base with his estranged wife, he is in good spirits but so much pain. They're trying to save his eye today.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

64bit_Dophins posted:

I filmed a pull with the 335d. Just a quick 2nd gear pull on the highway on ramp 30-60.

I'll post it if you guys are interested.

I understand that it is a very douchey thing to do I just wanted to film one pull before it gets sold because seriously the torque really is something else.

:justpost:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Initial impressions of physical therapy (didn't expect them to start it today, but they did, immediately after my followup dr appointment): "this is easymode, is this really therapy?"

A few hours later: "where the gently caress are the real painkillers? GET ME A WALKER AND SOME WAY TO GET DOWNSTAIRS :corsair:"

Work when I call to update them: :argh:

Roughly an hour of various stretches plus a stationary bicycle. I feel the stretching so.loving.bad. The bike not at all except my ankle is a little sore, but I actually ride a bike now and then (up until last week) anyway. He broke out a protractor to see how much flexibility I have between each leg and each foot, and the difference is... pretty shocking. I'm normally pretty flexible, my right leg doesn't agree at this point. My right foot is just pins and needles; the physical therapist showed me the muscles, tendons, nerves, etc, showed which nerve is sandwiched between some angry muscles and tendons, and told me to expect it.

Still on ultra-light duty restriction. That's if I can get down the drat stairs, I couldn't tonight. I'm sure I could if there was a fire, but it's not happening without a shitload of pain at the moment.

Darchangel posted:

Could try lubing :quagmire: the cable. I've got a nifty little thing that clamps over the cable end that forces *most* of the lube down the cable. It actually works. Still makes a mess, but it works.
Did you part ways with the roommate? I caught that you were in a different residence, but missed the actual activity.

I mean... the cable is pretty drat easy to replace if you can contort yourself under the dash, if it's like the WRX. On the bugeye WRX, the throttle pedal assembly just unbolts from the firewall, so you can hook the new cable to the pedal and thread it through instead of trying to do it under the dash. I'm hoping it's the same with Brokeback. It started sticking a little today, so I'm gonna go ahead and get a new one ordered.

And yeah, I'm slowly moving, though the actual moving of (more) stuff is on hold because of my leg (right now just have some clothes, toiletries, and my laptop here). My stuff is mostly at old roommate's place, some stuff is in storage. I haven't really talked about it on forums or social media, and most details won't make it to here. I'm likely going to go ahead and pay rent for November at both places (I'm not on the lease at roommate's place, just a handshake with him to rent a room) just to give me some time to recover and actually get everything out. Also to give him more time to find a roommate.

Rhyno posted:

Somebody donated over $7500 to my dude's GFM and we're shell shocked. Touched base with his estranged wife, he is in good spirits but so much pain. They're trying to save his eye today.

:drat:

Hope they can save his eye. That looked.... really bad.

slidebite posted:

8GB is what I would consider the bare minimum for Windows 10, to be honest. 4 is doable if it's a SSD (and a tablet is going to be a SSD), but it's going to hammer the swap file.

Watch out for tablets that only have a 32GB SSD. I don't know how common they are now (particularly with something expensive enough to have an M3, but I bet they're still in low end tablets), but I know once the OS is installed and has even just temp files, swap file, a few security updates, etc, there's not enough room left to do a major OS update. Everything I've seen with a 32GB or 64GB has it soldered to the board.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 20, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rhyno posted:

Did you link his GFM? If not, you should do so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elviscat posted:

Did you link his GFM? If not, you should do so.

I didn't think to do that

https://www.gofundme.com/f/phil-hyatt?utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all

Dude is so loved.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

https://streamable.com/t1129d

I posted it a few lines up.

I'm talking to the camera like a douche but it was a lot of fun pretending to be one of those guys that has a sticker with their instagram handle on their car.

It's not the greatest pull nor is it the healthiest example of a 335d. The previous owner really beat the poo poo out of it.

Still very fun though.

STR posted:

8GB is what I would consider the bare minimum for Windows 10, to be honest. 4 is doable if it's a SSD (and a tablet is going to be a SSD), but it's going to hammer the swap file.

Watch out for tablets that only have a 32GB SSD. I don't know how common they are now (particularly with something expensive enough to have an M3, but I bet they're still in low end tablets), but I know once the OS is installed and has even just temp files, swap file, a few security updates, etc, there's not enough room left to do a major OS update. Everything I've seen with a 32GB or 64GB has it soldered to the board.

It bugs me that most companies are still selling computers with 8gb ram on the base models.

The 6th Gen X1 Carbon my company gave me has the optional 512gb SSD but only the base 8gb of ram. It's fine because I'm a salesman and pretty much only run excel, the software that I demo (which runs in browser), Outlook, WebEx, and Salesforce/Hubspot/CRM (which again runs in browser). It's just annoying to me because it would be so much faster if it had 16gb of ram. I open like 3 tabs in chrome on top of office and outlook and boom I've hit swap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super psyched my Rays are in the world series, been to so many games I can't even begin to count. Kinda sucks tho because of covid I wasn't able to go to any games but I'll take it.

Also would be pretty cool to win it all right after our NHL team did it too. Could be Title Town in Tampa Bay soon :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Looks like I missed quite a bit the last couple pages.

Ether Frenzy, sorry about your friend.
STR I hope you feel better soon bud. Thanks for reminding me to take some Motrin.

Lately, I've been consumed by work and playing withbuying keyboards. It's a terribly stupid hobby but I think it's just my way of coping with this poo poo mess that is half a year of quarantine. Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for pretty colored bits of plastic.
Anywho it's been good motivation to finally start cleaning out some of the poo poo that I've been hoarding for years. It's kickstarted my motivation to wrap up some projects and get rid of the stuff I don't need to get some extra money to buy more keyboards. I think once November is over though I'm gonna have to take a serious break though because I've spent WAY too much recently.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for pretty colored bits of plastic.

Yeah that's like a billion different hobbies there, hell I just shortcut it and buy the rolls of plastic myself now :haw:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When I had PT for a pinched nerve in my thing that was causing pain in my groin:quagmire: area the PT lady did a thing called dry needling.
It was a huge gently caress off acupuncture needle that she drove into my thigh and fished around until the nerve got unstuck. It was like immediate pain release.
That and when she got my back to loosen up pushing on the vertebrae and it was like unzipping a zipper were the best feelings after being in pain for months on end.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Speaking of old bodies, I had a slight dirt bike mishap back in late August and separated my shoulder. After two weeks of not being able to even put on or take off a T-shirt without teeth grating pain, I finally dragged myself to the doctor, which I immediately regretted after two visits of “yup, grade II separation, just let it do its thing, also your AC joint is probably gonna stick out a little like that forever now, $950 (AFTER insurance) please.”

It still doesn’t feel right, and I suspect it never will feel “normal” again :smith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, you're probably right. I was knocked off my motorcycle by a car ~10 years ago (dang, time flies...) and my shoulder still aches when it gets even a little cold. Like, Southern California "a little cold".

Louis CK is a moron but he was pretty dead on about getting old. "That's just how it's going to be from now on."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hell I was body surfing waves that were probably way too big for me as a kid, got body slammed, and my dick got smashed between the the sea floor and my pelvis. It felt like someone hit my dick with a 5lb hammer, and ever since then I haven't been able to piss in a straight line to save my life.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got a new psych and had to dust off this old "psycho-educational" report from when I was 15 and ouch!

I have a 90 iq and my short term memory and processing scores are in the special education range.

Well I guess at least I know why school was hard lmao.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds more like 8bit_Dophins

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MomJeans420 posted:

Sounds more like 8bit_Dophins

64k_Dolphins

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

64bit_Dophins posted:

64k_Dolphins

640K_Dolphins should be enough for anybody

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Some of us survived with only 512k_Dolphins for a loooooong time

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Krakkles posted:

I mean, you're probably right. I was knocked off my motorcycle by a car ~10 years ago (dang, time flies...) and my shoulder still aches when it gets even a little cold. Like, Southern California "a little cold".

Louis CK is a moron but he was pretty dead on about getting old. "That's just how it's going to be from now on."

Yup. My bad knee is like that. Just kinda 'this is how it is now', because it's never going back to what it was.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Every time I wake up it’s cause blood is pouring from my mouth. This isn’t good. I can get it to stop by literally hosing my mouth down with Afrin. Doesn’t taste great.

I really don’t want to go to the ER.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I have a whole thing typed up, but I'm probably reading too much into it. The short version: I hope it's not covid holding you back. I get the concern, but there should be procedures in place for isolating potential cases from general population so exposure risks should be at least marginally mitigated. That's easy enough to validate by calling ahead.

Ultimately, I hope you can get some help and get better dude. It sucks you're having these problems.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

640K_Dolphins should be enough for anybody

Goober Peas posted:

Some of us survived with only 512k_Dolphins for a loooooong time

These days 16gb_Dolphins really should come standard tbh.

I for real had a bit of an identity crisis about it yesterday but all it really shows is that I have a pretty severe learning disability which honestly explains a lot.

Pretty crazy that I was still able to make it through college. I guess the adderall really WAS needed haha.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Hummer EV is pretty danged impressive.
Quoting myself from that thread:
GM is pretty serious about this thing.
4-wheel independent suspension - good for ground clearance, 4-wheel steering. Crab mode! Air suspension with a lift mode. Underbody crawling cameras.
It's not any uglier than any other modern pickup, really (not saying much...) and reminds me of an enclosed Halo Warthog.
Price is whoo-boy, but it is a pile of neat stuff.

The goons hand wringing over how dangerous it is to pedestrians over in the EV thread is... interesting. I suppose it's telling that the EV thread *isn't* in automotive insanity.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The king is dead!
Long live The King!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Darchangel posted:

The Hummer EV is pretty danged impressive.
Quoting myself from that thread:
GM is pretty serious about this thing.
4-wheel independent suspension - good for ground clearance, 4-wheel steering. Crab mode! Air suspension with a lift mode. Underbody crawling cameras.
It's not any uglier than any other modern pickup, really (not saying much...) and reminds me of an enclosed Halo Warthog.
Price is whoo-boy, but it is a pile of neat stuff.

The goons hand wringing over how dangerous it is to pedestrians over in the EV thread is... interesting. I suppose it's telling that the EV thread *isn't* in automotive insanity.

Wait are there other EV threads outside AI? I don't follow the one here since I kind of don't care about EVs but I assumed that would be 'the EV thread'

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

trouser chili posted:

Every time I wake up it’s cause blood is pouring from my mouth. This isn’t good. I can get it to stop by literally hosing my mouth down with Afrin. Doesn’t taste great.

Shouldn't they be able to cauterize that or something? It's been a week or more right? Good luck man.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Wait are there other EV threads outside AI? I don't follow the one here since I kind of don't care about EVs but I assumed that would be 'the EV thread'

Sorry, it's' here in AI. The BYOD costume threw me.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932649

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

trouser chili posted:

Just get a bunch of silver nitrate and rub it all over the back of your throat, that's how they cauterized my sinuses, and I haven't had a nosebleed since! Please God, don't do that. Go to doctor

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

Just get a bunch of silver nitrate and rub it all over the back of your throat, that's how they cauterized my sinuses, and I haven't had a nosebleed since! Please God, don't do that. Go to doctor

Ah, the ol' silver nitrate gargle. :supaburn:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

trouser chili posted:

at least call your doctors office and check in, there's a lot of space between "do nothing at all" and "go to the ER"

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. My bad knee is like that. Just kinda 'this is how it is now', because it's never going back to what it was.

yeah word, it works well enough for most purposes but it always feels different

my days of hucking cliffs are over though

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus Chili, yeah, get that checked out dude.

Also
:stare:

Rudy Giuliani caught on film trying to rail some chick he supposedly thought was underage? :wtc:

https://twitter.com/anoncatanoncat/status/1318979654422724608

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheBacon posted:

A general EV thread here in AI with a tesla thread in yospos and another one somewhere else. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm looking for suggestions from engineering/fab-minded folks.

A while back, I installed a sliding under-counter trashcan in the kitchen:

(I don't think I took a picture of it installed...)

I want it to pull out when the door is opened. Currently, I have a bit of cord attached, which works, but doesn't push it *back* when the door is closed, and also introduces a shock when the door is opened, then the slack is pulled tight, before the drawer starts coming out. I removed one of the auto-close mechanisms to make it a little easier to pull out, BTW. It was pretty aggressive.
Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up. This is still a possibility, but what I'm looking for is some sort of semi-rigid sliding guide that I can attach, sort of like a car window roller, that would pull the drawer out when the door is opened, and push it back in when the door is closed.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about :

I'm basically needing the bits in green and purple.

I could probably fabricate something with C-channel and roller-skate bearings, but a nicely made existing solution would be nice.

I ran across linear bearings/linear guides, as used in 3D printers, and those are relatively cheap from China:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahmart-Cylinder-Optical-Support-Bearing/dp/B07Z4X5ZCB/

https://www.amazon.com/Usongshine-Bearing-Sliding-Engraving-H-Type%EF%BC%8C300mm/dp/B07Y2SNX4R/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166133337.html

I like the first and last one most, as they would seem better suited to the pulling forces I'm anticipating.
An additional thought is that I will need to be able to release the door from the drawer occasionally for access to the under cabinet area (think: plumbing) but not on a regular basis, so a nut and bolt are reasonable.
Does anyone have a better idea, or know of a part better-suited to the application? I think the linear guide will work (and are cheap enough), but I don't want to overlook something better or cheaper that is just outside my knowledge.

edit: with respect for getting older and stuff breaking. Yeah, knees, shoulders, ankles... None are non-functional, they're all just... creaky.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Got a new psych and had to dust off this old "psycho-educational" report from when I was 15 and ouch!

I have a 90 iq and my short term memory and processing scores are in the special education range.

So what do they suggest to improve / accommodate your processing scores?