Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meatpimp posted:

So what do they suggest to improve / accommodate your processing scores?

Adderall XR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Right side had tore open. It was the cause of the bleed. Just left my second surgery to have it re-cauterized. They let me keep the leg squeezie things this time.

Guys, don’t get your tonsils out at 42 if you can, it’s not great.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

trouser chili posted:

Does not sound like fun.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. My bad knee is like that. Just kinda 'this is how it is now', because it's never going back to what it was.

Reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago. “How long does it take for a human body to create another fully functioning human being inside of it? Nine months. Ok cool, how long for my sprained ankle to heal? Two years, and it’ll never be the same again.”

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

Right side had tore open. It was the cause of the bleed. Just left my second surgery to have it re-cauterized. They let me keep the leg squeezie things this time.

I've been keeping my wife apprised of your journey. She's 41 and wants to get her tonsils out. You are affecting her sleep.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

The goons hand wringing over how dangerous it is to pedestrians over in the EV thread is... interesting. I suppose it's telling that the EV thread *isn't* in automotive insanity.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah my disappointment has been expressed (and also WTF is this Pedestrian Council style hyperbolic poo poo? I haaaaaaaaaate SUV's and even I'm thinking hey you know, some of ya'll are sounding really over the top). This the new EV Hummer is just plain nuts and loaded with all sorts of cool tech and hardware and I for one love this kind of drug induced crazy exists.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah my disappointment has been expressed (and also WTF is this Pedestrian Council style hyperbolic poo poo? I haaaaaaaaaate SUV's and even I'm thinking hey you know, some of ya'll are sounding really over the top). This the new EV Hummer is just plain nuts and loaded with all sorts of cool tech and hardware and I for one love this kind of drug induced crazy exists.

Exactly, this should be treated like the MB S class. This is a showcase of everything they can do and all the tech that will eventually be present in the rest of the lineup.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep. If $80k will get you a 625hp electrotruck today, I'll be extremely happy if $30-40k would buy a 200-300hp smaller electrotruck without all the suspension bits in another five or ten years.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep. If $80k will get you a 625hp electrotruck today, I'll be extremely happy if $30-40k would buy a 200-300hp smaller electrotruck without all the suspension bits in another five or ten years.

That's what I'm looking for.

edit:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I almost made a facetious comment about the e-Tron questions following your post vis-a-vis pedestrian safety, but decided not to feed the trolls.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 21, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
well 80 grand will get you a 600 hp electrotruck in like maybe 2025 so your ten year estimate is probably more accurate than five

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

I've been keeping my wife apprised of your journey. She's 41 and wants to get her tonsils out. You are affecting her sleep.

I’m really sorry for her. I really was at a “no-choice” situation, and knowing what I know now, I don’t think I’d do it if I felt there was some other treatment plan available. I certainly tried and really implored my GP to look over everything before going forward with the surgeon diagnosis. Here’s the rub though; It ain’t gonna get any easier. Every day you age is more recovery time added to the process.

Surprisingly the pain is not at it worst day one, it builds over four to five days post surgery. The detachment event last night was excruciating. I had two of those happen.

Finding liquid hydrocodone was very difficult for some reason. Plan for that problem.

Bag ice from Sonic drive in is loving ace. It’s kinda a soft ice, easy to chew. I ate ice for like 48 hours straight to start. I also continually swapped two ice packs designed to wrap your neck. This combined plan was great for keeping the swelling away, and keeping hydrated (both myself in general and my surgical site). I did not really sleep during this time. Two reasons, one is I couldn’t lay down. Had to stay upright. The other is that I don’t really sleep on hydrocodone, I may enter unconsciousness, but it’s not really sleep.

You’ll want several bottles of Afrin nasal spray (Oxymetazoline). You can snort it like you’re supposed to, but during my detachment I was just spraying it direct in my mouth. It’s a strong vasoconstrictor and can stop both bleeds and pain from swelling. It probably prevented me from an ER visit last night, which meant I got treated by my surgeon today instead of whomever was on duty.

Vick’s VapoCOOL throat spray is amazing as well, but kinda dangerous cause you might not feel the damage you do eating and whatnot. Speaking of, I expected to have no appetite throughout. I was wrong. They gave me steroids and I was starving all the time.

Eating on hydrocodone causes another problem, constipation. Constipation causes hiccups, and hiccups can cause a detachment event or tear. I take a shot of Dulcolax with every shot of hydrocodone, and another immediately after a meal if I think I might need it at all. I also take a gas-x pill with this, cause burps are similarly terrible feeling.

Warm-ish Coca-Cola is pretty nice, too cold can be too intense. Sprite is lemon-lime pain, it has citric acid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

well 80 grand will get you a 600 hp electrotruck in like maybe 2025 so your ten year estimate is probably more accurate than five

I'm also hoping that at some point by then they've figured out a reasonable way to solve range-while-towing issues. Until then, [small turbodiesel noises].

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm also hoping that at some point by then they've figured out a reasonable way to solve range-while-towing issues. Until then, [small turbodiesel noises].

A standardized high-voltage connector for towing battery-equipped trailers would be nice. A trailer brake-like controller for trailer axle regen level would be nice, too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slidebite posted:

Jesus Chili, yeah, get that checked out dude.

Also
:stare:

Rudy Giuliani caught on film trying to rail some chick he supposedly thought was underage? :wtc:

https://twitter.com/anoncatanoncat/status/1318979654422724608

He was just 'tucking himself in' apparently...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good to see Rudy still has all the intelligent decisionmaking and judgement skills we rely upon as a chief advisor to the president. Just the best people, all the way down, and such strong moral backbones too, I'm very glad they're here to tell the rest of us how to live a christian life.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just scheduled an appointment with a new therapist.

After reading that old psych eval I've been really depressed. It feels like I'm just dumb and that it's over for me (I know this is not true bu that is kinda how it feels).

For the first time the covid isolation is starting to get to me.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Ether Frenzy posted:

Good to see Rudy still has all the intelligent decisionmaking and judgement skills we rely upon as a chief advisor to the president. Just the best people, all the way down, and such strong moral backbones too, I'm very glad they're here to tell the rest of us how to live a christian life.

Coulda gone down in history like Elliot Ness. I mean Giuliani dropped The Commission. Guess we can surmise how he became compromised. Now I wonder if there have been any people known for running underage honeypots around Rudy & Friends....Zonks! I think we could solve a mystery here!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My girl Sophie is here with the sympathy pains.

But mostly she just wants a go at my mashed potatoes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

If it helps, my wife had hers taken out around 43 and it was perfectly fine. She was basically normal within a few days.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So dumb bike question...

I have a Huffy women’s Walmart beach cruiser style bike my 10 year old 6 foot tall daughter won’t ride because it has flowers all over it.

If we paint it or sticker bomb it can the curved handlebars be changed for straight normal style? What do I search for?

everdave fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 22, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
So on my way into work at 4am this morning I hit a deer. It felt like a very light hit, right below the drivers headlight made contact with the rear end end of the deer and it ran off. I got out and heard it in the brush rustling leaves and making dying noises. It happened really close to a river and it sounded like the deer was headed that way, and I wasn’t about to chase it. Didn’t have anything to dispatch it with and only had the light from my iPhone. I looked over the truck and didn’t see any damage. Drove to work, didn’t see damage under the parking lot lights. Came out at lunch and noticed a very slight dent in the bumper.

Its the very slight dip on the lower third in the picture. I thought for sure there is no way that deer was hurt. I have seen them go through windshields and walk away.

I don’t know what ram made that loving bumper out of because sure as poo poo I drove by the spot on my way home and it was about 25 yards back from where I hit it in the ditch across from a dealership. I feel bad about leaving it, but understand this area is overpopulated and I didn’t break any laws by leaving since there was no property damage.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

everdave posted:

So dumb bike question...

I have a Huffy women’s Walmart beach cruiser style bike my 10 year old 6 foot tall daughter won’t ride because it has flowers all over it.

If we paint it or sticker bomb it can the curved handlebars be changed for straight normal style? What do I search for?

Can you take a photo of how the bars are attached to the fork? Most stems have a standard clamp diameter but that assumption is fuzzy when you start talking about department store bikes. If you have calipers measuring the bars right next to the clamp would be helpful.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ephphatha posted:

Can you take a photo of how the bars are attached to the fork? Most stems have a standard clamp diameter but that assumption is fuzzy when you start talking about department store bikes. If you have calipers measuring the bars right next to the clamp would be helpful.

Tomorrow I can getting the kids to bed...thank you! I have a $7 24.5 diameter Chinese special in my cart at eBay that seems to be the most common listing. Will post a pic tomorrow!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

everdave posted:

Tomorrow I can getting the kids to bed...thank you! I have a $7 24.5 diameter Chinese special in my cart at eBay that seems to be the most common listing. Will post a pic tomorrow!

24.5mm seems likely. 31.8mm is the other likely candidate -- it's more common in adult road bikes and mountain bikes, but my bike has a 25.4mm bar.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I'm looking for suggestions from engineering/fab-minded folks.

A while back, I installed a sliding under-counter trashcan in the kitchen:

(I don't think I took a picture of it installed...)

I want it to pull out when the door is opened. Currently, I have a bit of cord attached, which works, but doesn't push it *back* when the door is closed, and also introduces a shock when the door is opened, then the slack is pulled tight, before the drawer starts coming out. I removed one of the auto-close mechanisms to make it a little easier to pull out, BTW. It was pretty aggressive.
Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up. This is still a possibility, but what I'm looking for is some sort of semi-rigid sliding guide that I can attach, sort of like a car window roller, that would pull the drawer out when the door is opened, and push it back in when the door is closed.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about :

I'm basically needing the bits in green and purple.

I could probably fabricate something with C-channel and roller-skate bearings, but a nicely made existing solution would be nice.

I ran across linear bearings/linear guides, as used in 3D printers, and those are relatively cheap from China:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahmart-Cylinder-Optical-Support-Bearing/dp/B07Z4X5ZCB/

https://www.amazon.com/Usongshine-Bearing-Sliding-Engraving-H-Type%EF%BC%8C300mm/dp/B07Y2SNX4R/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166133337.html

I like the first and last one most, as they would seem better suited to the pulling forces I'm anticipating.
An additional thought is that I will need to be able to release the door from the drawer occasionally for access to the under cabinet area (think: plumbing) but not on a regular basis, so a nut and bolt are reasonable.
Does anyone have a better idea, or know of a part better-suited to the application? I think the linear guide will work (and are cheap enough), but I don't want to overlook something better or cheaper that is just outside my knowledge.

edit: with respect for getting older and stuff breaking. Yeah, knees, shoulders, ankles... None are non-functional, they're all just... creaky.

Take the door of the hinges and mount it to the front of the trash can caddy. Simple brackets could connect the door to the wire frame of the caddy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rev-A-Shelf-8-75-Gallon-Pull-Out-Trash-Can/52046262

Like that kind does. Or get that kind, or one of many cheaper options out there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T-Square posted:

Reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago. “How long does it take for a human body to create another fully functioning human being inside of it? Nine months. Ok cool, how long for my sprained ankle to heal? Two years, and it’ll never be the same again.”

Yeah.... I've been to PT 4 times over the past week now. Pain hasn't gotten ANY better, still no pain killers beyond ibuprofin and celebrex (celebrex wrecks my stomach badly, even with food, and I'm not supposed to take ibuprofin with my blood pressure medication) but I can hobble slightly faster now I guess?

I don't think I'm gonna walk right :quagmire: for a long time. I have a feeling there's probably some arthritis going on, on top of the muscle and tendon poo poo, though xrays of my feet didn't show anything Abby Normal.

Need to find a job that isn't so physical before my body completely falls apart.

trouser chili posted:

Am also 42, glad I had them out around... 7? 8?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 22, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

God damnit, I literally cannot stand not feeding strays that come around my house, and there's literally an infinite supply of them, so every time I get one socialized and adopted a new one shows up.

The local rescue agencies are DICKS about taking strays (I understand why), and if you've ever fed one they consider it to be your pet, and make you sign forms "surrendering" the animal.

I've got the room and time to get this guy socialized and fed now though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
He's so handsome, how could you say no.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
A hearty gently caress you to today, this week, this month and the whole of 2020 while I’m at it. Eat Satan’s diseased rear end in a top hat you goddamn annus horibilus.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slothrop posted:

A hearty gently caress you to today, this week, this month and the whole of 2020 while I’m at it. Eat Satan’s diseased rear end in a top hat you goddamn annus horibilus.

you okay? :ohdear:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Yeah, I'll be okay, thanks for checking in.

end-of-relationship stuff hit me like a ton of bricks today. It's amazing how two people who love each other so much can hurt each other so much.

Usually I'd drown my sorrows to bring my mood up but I'm sober now. I know now that the drinking is such a band-aid fix that is more harmful in the long term.

I'm going to stay sober for a while.

There's a slim chance we may rescue the relationship, but to be honest I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Sorry for the vent! Have some music as penance.

Possibly the greatest Nirvana cover of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooWBus7Igc

slothrop fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 22, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
At least you got a haircut.

Good luck man, that's overall a tricky situation.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

It's amazing how two people who love each other so much can hurt each other so much.

That is, in fact, mind blowing.

You seem like a good guy so here's to things getting better. They usually do.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Darchangel posted:

Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up.

Attach the door to the drawer as normal. Don’t remove the hinges from the door itself. Do remove the screws from the cabinet-side of the hinge. Cut the heads off these screws. Glue them in place in the hinge so it looks like it has screws. Glue the hinge in the position that makes it look like a correct normal hinge when the cabinet is shut. Maybe glue a bit of felt to the backside as well so it doesn’t slap the cabinet when you close the door.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That would be pretty nice. I've seen a few Ranger EV's pop up but they're always so far away the added cost to ship it cross country makes it not worth buying.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Stick a small generator on the nose of the trailer and tow away, probably not worth it for local tows but for long trips it would be. That requires a vehicle that will allow you to drive and charge at the same time, mine won't even shift into drive if plugged in. Hell put a trailer charge port next to the trailer light plug with different rules and you're set.

slothrop posted:

Yeah, I'll be okay, thanks for checking in.
:glomp:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Hang in there slothrop, you got this.

On the subject of the GM EV tech demo, if the 4 wheel steering is truly independent to each wheel, then a two door version with a shorter bed would literally be the Halo Warthog.
So I want a regular cab short bed Hummer EV very much.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This is super not-helpful but all I can see is Jeopardy podiums with a trapdoor. Which would be an awesome thing in my opinion.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

How it feels to be newly single now that I have the 335d.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

64bit_Dophins posted:

How it feels to be newly single now that I have the 335d.

Next you'll be posting on glyph's FB group "Show me on the doll where your BMW hurt you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

That would be pretty nice. I've seen a few Ranger EV's pop up but they're always so far away the added cost to ship it cross country makes it not worth buying.

As much as I love the old Rangers, they're definitely not capable of my Canyon's "jack of all trades" driving, and even the 4.0/automatic combo tow rating is just slightly too low. I can't find any listed tow rating for the EV.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stick a small generator on the nose of the trailer and tow away, probably not worth it for local tows but for long trips it would be. That requires a vehicle that will allow you to drive and charge at the same time, mine won't even shift into drive if plugged in. Hell put a trailer charge port next to the trailer light plug with different rules and you're set.

Yeah, it'll need to either be a small range extender or just an auxiliary battery pack that gets mounted in the bed or trailer. Regenerative trailer brakes?

The vast majority of my towing is local and short range so realistically it's not something I'd need often. But one of the reasons we bought this truck was to be able to haul a trailer from Phoenix to Flagstaff, which is ~150 miles one way and a net climb of ~6000 feet, with at least two major climbs in between. I expect EV range would be utterly murdered on that road.