Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Misty Fog posted:

Just got fired from my job, I presume due to corona. Any goons got experience in writing cover letters?

i've never in my life wrote a cover letter lol. Any email applying for a job I'm just like "see attachment for CV" because gently caress you like I'm writing extra bullshit that you're not gonna read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

less pleased by halloween

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Missed opportunity to have the white X things be snowflakes

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Solefald posted:

i've never in my life wrote a cover letter lol. Any email applying for a job I'm just like "see attachment for CV" because gently caress you like I'm writing extra bullshit that you're not gonna read.

yeah who wants a job anyway.

separately, adults going to nandos is new to me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's probably because you don't have any friends

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I work across from Nandos and I've only ever really seen mostly adults going there??? I swear we get more teenagers and kids come to our place which is weird imo.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was a treat when I was 15, but now 5 Guys exists...

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've made it thus far in life without a cheeky nandos, I can probably keep this poo poo going

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I expect you'll find it quite easy to not eat nandos, its rarely mandatory

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I tried it for the first time when they reopened after lockdown with a discount and was thoroughly disappointed

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Both Five Guys and Nando’s are tasty. They are also expensive for what they are.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sudden Javelin posted:

I expect you'll find it quite easy to not eat nandos, its rarely mandatory

In my experience it often is mandatory cuz its like the only thing my in laws are willing to eat wrt eating out/ take out

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Steakandchips posted:

Both Five Guys and Nando’s are tasty. They are also expensive for what they are.

I like five guys a lot but it is loving pricey

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Misty Fog posted:

Just got fired from my job, I presume due to corona. Any goons got experience in writing cover letters?

Sorry to hear that, OP. I have a nice word template with built-in guidelines to how to write one with one example. Drop me a pm with an e-mail if you have plat I can send that your way and hope it helps. If you don't have plat, I'll upload it to WeTransfer or some poo poo like that.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Why do old people talk to phone scammers. How do you not immediately recongise a scam call? My mum just phoned me up about how sky insurance called her. Thankfully she didn't give them any details but COME ON. We even got her some sort of phone security thing where you have to leave a voice message before you can call her so she must of allowed the number through.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Why do old people talk to phone scammers. How do you not immediately recongise a scam call? My mum just phoned me up about how sky insurance called her. Thankfully she didn't give them any details but COME ON. We even got her some sort of phone security thing where you have to leave a voice message before you can call her so she must of allowed the number through.

Old people have declining mental health, memory and general comprehension, therefore a good target. My mom, whom I always thought an extremely sharp witted and smart almost fell for "we found your bank account used in crime" scam that is very common in Turkey. She just panicked because in Turkey police are notoriously corrupt and tend to punish you for even simple civic rights such as asking to prove identity. She is naturally scared as she lives by herself (my sister is close) and I guess for a 70+ year old woman a guy with a commanding voice telling that your money is used to pay CRIME is a big panic button.

Scammers literally rely on human mental degeneration by age, OP.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Another common scam circulating amongst Turkish immigrant circles is random people calling and telling that they owe tax money to HMRC and they will be fined if they don't comply. Getting major fines like tax evasion etc. usually means getting denied permanent residence so even young people get all panicky. My accountant just sent me an e-mail about this scam now being upgraded to sending legit-looking mail addresses with HMRC headline letters.

I dunno "you owe tax" is a common scam for anyone else that isn't an immigrant/business owner.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Older people are also much more easily conned by someone who sounds/looks the part

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
like if you were to go on the phone to them and go hellooooo i am dr bankman i require all of your details for to do my most important work madamorsir a sort of deference switch gets flipped in their heads

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crispix posted:

Older people are also much more easily conned by someone who sounds/looks the part

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They are also quite sophisticated (i spelt this word all on my own) often operating essentially as professionally as the companies they are pretending to be from. Also sometimes they just get lucky, but I also have a suspicion they have inside people at some companies leaking some data. For instance my father very nearly gave away all his money to one pretending to be from BT because they rang him right in the middle of an ongoing issue he was having with BT so his guard was already lowered as he was expecting the call.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I think the cat is the most competent one in that photo, OP.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

That turkey thing sounds pretty scary.

Im not really worried about her giving her details away but the calls make her worry and she'll talk to the scammer for ages. I've been in the room when she's had calls and we've been screaming at her to put the drat phone down. Hence the phone security thing we got her.

This one knew where her bank was (the nearest physical bank) so she thought they were gonna be able to steal her money or something.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

That turkey thing sounds pretty scary.

It is so common that every week the actual police sends you an SMS to not fall for it. There are variants to it but the basic gimmick is:

-Hello, I am a chief police officer / Turkish intelligence agency agent / army police
-Your bank account has been flagged as funding criminals/terrorists
-Your bank account will be blocked and you will be put on surveillance with possible jail time
-Fear not, though, you need to withdraw all you money and put it into a bag and leave by this random dumpster.
-I will deposit your money into a safe government account and transfer it back to you

They target old people and you wouldn't believe how many famous / educated people fall for this. I think one of the top dieticians in the country dropped like 100k USD as well as some professors and business people. The common denominator is almost all of these high profile people were over 60/70.

My other favorite scam from Turkey:

Random Bulgarian numbers calling with a sexy woman voice in perfect Turkish (most likely a Turkish minority living in Bulgaria) and tell that it was a wrong number but you totally sound like a hunk and hook thirsty men into either paying them in phone credits or some scams are known to carry "Oh I was coming to Turkey to see you but police confiscated my passport and now want a bribe of 150 euros".

The amount of thirsty young men falling for this is staggering btw. Some people even went to Sofia and got like tricked into going to a nightclub to literally max out their bank and credit cards.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sorry to change subjects but I just read the conservatives voted against free school meals

Even loving nigel farage supports free school meals lmao

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
my dad is always telling me about arguments he gets into on the phone with genuine calls when he asks the caller to for evidence they are actually who they say they are. they just say they have his name and phone number so must be genuine and usually have a really bad attitude about it.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

The free school meals thing is so cagey. Even the current system with free school meals for years 1/2 is bullshit.
They widely tell you that years 1 can get free meals but you have to apply for year 2 regardless of your income. Otherwise you get the school screaming at you for unpaid meals or a very demeaning letter saying you are a bad parent and haven't sent your child in with a packed lunch for a week and they have been good enough to feed them for you.

Using the excuse that housing benefit and universal income have been adjusted to deal with lower income family's defecit due to covid is also horseshit. The real impoverished family's that parents suffer with drug or alcohol or gambling addictions are the kids that are going to really suffer because mummy and daddy just spend that extra money on addictions rather than feeding their kids. School meal vouchers are not a perfect solution but at least the kiddos get a decent meal.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

stinch posted:

my dad is always telling me about arguments he gets into on the phone with genuine calls when he asks the caller to for evidence they are actually who they say they are. they just say they have his name and phone number so must be genuine and usually have a really bad attitude about it.

One of the problems that financial services firms have these days is convincing people they're not scammers when they do need to contact you, because people are so used to scams. It's apparently a nightmare for the fraud alerting that banks do where they want to tell customers something doesn't look right on their account, because it just looks like a scam every time even when they're trying to be helpful

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

On another note, sending my toddler to nursery with a packed lunch is getting tedious. We have to individually container everything. We were chastised for sending her with a pre pack 'dip N munch' crackers and soft cheese. Apparently we must also remove this from its single use packaging and put it in a small tupperware tub.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
You're gonna get me started on straws, getting real riled up now

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Thinkin bout thos straws

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Recently I mostly get scammers trying to make me update my (non-existant) Netflix details or check my account for some shite. Some of them are pretty realistic looking emails.

Also HMRC targeting the self-employed. See quite a few of those.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

On another note, sending my toddler to nursery with a packed lunch is getting tedious. We have to individually container everything. We were chastised for sending her with a pre pack 'dip N munch' crackers and soft cheese. Apparently we must also remove this from its single use packaging and put it in a small tupperware tub.

Sorry if this is a stupid thing to ask but why?

Or is this some '...powerhouse of the cell' education berucracy?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

Are you sure this is legit and not some scam to get your tupperwares? be careful

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

One of the problems that financial services firms have these days is convincing people they're not scammers when they do need to contact you, because people are so used to scams. It's apparently a nightmare for the fraud alerting that banks do where they want to tell customers something doesn't look right on their account, because it just looks like a scam every time even when they're trying to be helpful

Which would be very easy to fix by having a codeword on your account that only the bank knows, and they have to tell you down the phone. But they won't do this because they need to keep a reason why any fraudulent transactions are 'your fault'.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

When I got a bunch of money taken the bank was really good at just refilling my account and sending me a new card. Before you ask no I didn't give anyone my details.

I think it probably got leaked from when sony got hacked and everyone with a playstation account had their details leaked

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Used to get Nandos occaisionally when I was in the NHS because they gave a 20% discount.

Best was the little Dominos right by the hospital that did 50% on collections

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

idk, if i'm picking up a pizza i bought i'd want the whole thing

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid thing to ask but why?

Or is this some '...powerhouse of the cell' education berucracy?

Something something new policy regarding covid. Everything has to be individually containered and childs name on each.
Also the lunchbox has to be plastic not fabric. It's really disheartening for her since she loves her Frozen lunchbag and now has to live with a tupperware box full of smaller tupperware pots.
Even worse that the school my eldest is at over the road has none of these stupid rules, so she gets to watch her sister take a nice exciting colourful lunch bag to school each morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

Something something new policy regarding covid. Everything has to be individually containered and childs name on each.
Also the lunchbox has to be plastic not fabric. It's really disheartening for her since she loves her Frozen lunchbag and now has to live with a tupperware box full of smaller tupperware pots.
Even worse that the school my eldest is at over the road has none of these stupid rules, so she gets to watch her sister take a nice exciting colourful lunch bag to school each morning.
There is no god, we killed him with formal education and its precursor.