Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Origins version is the one to get, right?

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1319282160407212033?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus PC app, PTC v23 changelog

Oculus Link
Increased encode resolution which improves visual quality while running Link.

Oculus Rift S
We resolved an issue in Oculus Dash where pinned windows would show graphic distortion across the entire pane and not be visible to the user.

Also, the debug tool has a new setting:

quote:

- Reported by /u/charliefrench2oo8 it's working fine on a 1080 Ti with 200Mbps Bitrate

- 2080 Ti 500 Mbps Encode Bitrate at 3648 Res successfully tested by me

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Amazon UK has just shipped my elite +battery strap

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It fixed a flaw with the original Quest where it was very front-heavy. Tying a battery to the back provided a counterweight.

Does the Quest 2 have the same problem with its default strap, out of general curiosity?

Ah, with the Quest 2 Elite strap it's pretty well balanced. I don't know that a counterweight is necessary but it'll probably mostly depend on head shape and fit. The cloth strap was just vaguely a bad fit all around. Not sure a counterweight would help all that much, it's probably better without any additional weight at all.

Turin Turambar posted:

Oculus Link
Increased encode resolution which improves visual quality while running

Oh nice! I'll have to mess around with this later. I wonder if a higher bitrate would mean 90Hz doesn't crash link anymore? Probably not, but that would be nice.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Yes. Steam version bugs out. Also set the game to borderless mode in video options as that too will bug it out.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Did the Gear VR lens mod to my vive pro last night.

The difference is actually kind of nuts. The sweet spot is actually massive, I can move my eyes more naturally - letting my gaze wander around the environment without rotating my neck as much.

Why do the engineers behind these headsets go with fresnel lenses? The glare is nuts and the sweet spot is smaller.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Penpal posted:

Why do the engineers behind these headsets go with fresnel lenses? The glare is nuts and the sweet spot is smaller.

Because they are significantly lighter and thinner. Full lenses are really heavy.
EDIT: And cheaper too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bought it while at work, hope $25/everything is what you were talking about. I'll check it out tonight or this weekend. I could see the effort in your post, and I need a new drug.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I got my elite strap. It's clearly more comfy. And it fits so well design and color wise... it makes me think this was going to be the real strap, it was all designed a single headset, and in the months previous to the release they decided to split the headset in two and put the cheaper cloth strap.

I still have to think how to strap my battery, cheapo style. I guess I will need longer velcro straps.

The little adhesive cable clips I got for my dashcam, works good for the headset.

50pcs Adhesive Cable Clips, Wire Clips,Car Cable Organizer,Cable Holder,Cable Wire Management,Cable Holder for Car,Office and Home(Included S Size and Large Size Cable Clips) … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PG8CR1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6XBKFbKV5XC2J

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Micr0chiP posted:

I wonder how many dick pics facebook has from the bottom cameras from people jerking off with the hmd
I'm pretty resigned to having no privacy from companies like Facebook and Amazon. But strapping the official Facebook headset, logging into an account linked to your real name and connected to your friends and family, and then pointing 4 cameras at your hog is the least tempting thing in existence.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Some info on optimal settings for link with the new update:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-set-bitrate-update/

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does Viveport work pretty well? I'm thinking of signing up for a month to play through Moss and Walking Dead SS.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Nocheez posted:

Bought it while at work, hope $25/everything is what you were talking about. I'll check it out tonight or this weekend. I could see the effort in your post, and I need a new drug.

Yep that's the one. Interested to hear more opinions on it if/when you get a chance to check it out. It's not as visually appealing as Alyx but I'd take it over Boneworks any day because you get to play the game instead of having to fight against the physics system.

Octavius, if you get viveport, you, too, can play Vertigo Remasteted. Dunno anything about the service besides "the game is on it."

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Penpal posted:

Did the Gear VR lens mod to my vive pro last night.

The difference is actually kind of nuts. The sweet spot is actually massive, I can move my eyes more naturally - letting my gaze wander around the environment without rotating my neck as much.

The Gear VR vive lens mod... now theres a name I haven't heard in a long time...

In all seriousness, Fresnel lenses don't by their nature have bad sweet spots. If you look at something newer an index, quest 2, rift s, they use fresnel lenses but have a sweet spot that lets you look all across the field of view with your eyes.

Its just the vive really that had pretty meh lenses in them since the first one launched, hence why the gear VR lens mod even became a thing, but never existed on any other headsets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s up there with Alyx and Boneworks? How are more people not talking about that game?

Now I’m trying to decide if I should spend $26

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s up there with Alyx and Boneworks? How are more people not talking about that game?

"Not as visually appealing as Alyx" and "not as much of a fight to control as Boneworks" describes something like 98% of VR games.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

NRVNQSR posted:

"Not as visually appealing as Alyx" and "not as much of a fight to control as Boneworks" describes something like 98% of VR games.

In the context of a single player game with a story, I can't agree. Most VR games seem to be wave-based shovelware or 2D games with tacked-on VR support.

DLC no longer on sale and the complete edition is up to $26.41, but still worth it. Anyone who refunds it and hates it is free to bash me here about how I have awful taste in games.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've been on steam for a long, long time and I have never requested a refund until I got to VR games. I have no problem refunding that poo poo if it's not good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
how bad of an idea would a "standalone" x86 headset that iterates on the whole VR backpack idea be

essentially, instead of everything being inside the HMD itself, you'd have a HMD tethered to a "backpack" that's basically a non-opening, shielded laptop with arm straps

it seems workable enough with similar things that people jury-rig with their own laptops and backpacks, so something purpose-built along similar lines would also probably do OK.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Does Viveport work pretty well? I'm thinking of signing up for a month to play through Moss and Walking Dead SS.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Octavius, if you get viveport, you, too, can play Vertigo Remasteted. Dunno anything about the service besides "the game is on it."

I just looked and drat, Viveport's game selection has gotten a lot better. Xbox gamepass has taught me these game subscriptions work real well for me, maybe I'll do this for a while and see how it goes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Test #1

Obviously it makes the wheel to be harder to use. Although, I will see that with the weight on the back, I barely need to tighten it.
Also check my wardrobe, I guess.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how bad of an idea would a "standalone" x86 headset that iterates on the whole VR backpack idea be

essentially, instead of everything being inside the HMD itself, you'd have a HMD tethered to a "backpack" that's basically a non-opening, shielded laptop with arm straps

it seems workable enough with similar things that people jury-rig with their own laptops and backpacks, so something purpose-built along similar lines would also probably do OK.

there are vr augmented escape rooms already doing this kind of thing

marumaru
May 20, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Technically that already exists. I think hp??? sells one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you have a laptop capable of driving a VR HMD, you can just put it in a backpack :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why would you do x86? All the VR software you care about was written in the last 5 years and runs on standard engines. You don’t have to worry about crufty enterpriseware for which no working compiler exists, calling out to amber-preserved Win16 thunks.

ARM has an enormous advantage for battery-powered applications, even if you don’t get to use Apple’s black magic Silicon.

Years before the Quest when we talked to AMD’s semi-custom group about VR “consoles”, it was assumed that for anything actually portable we’d do ARM instead. I don’t think even AMD would have argued about it in an energetic way.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have a list of good seated , controller based games? Starting to realize I’d get a lot more use out of my hand if I was able to play some more traditional style games. I’m looking at Tetris Effect, House of the Dying Sun, maybe Thumper? That sort of thing.

Or is there a decent program to play regular games on a big ol vr screen?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have a list of good seated , controller based games? Starting to realize I’d get a lot more use out of my hand if I was able to play some more traditional style games. I’m looking at Tetris Effect, House of the Dying Sun, maybe Thumper? That sort of thing.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Moss
Star Wars Squadrons

SteamVR has a theater mode that will project 2D games onto a virtual screen, like you're playing in a movie theater. I've not messed with it much, but it seems functional.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stan Taylor posted:

BallisticNG, Redout, Elite: Dangerous, War Thunder,

Tetris Effect is great

Rez uses controllers but you can play seated you don't need to lean around or get up or anything

Stan Taylor posted:

SteamVR?

Shine posted:

Star Wars Squadrons

Would not recommend as a VR game

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

You can play regular games just with Virtual Desktop. I was playing Wasteland 3 with an xbox controller while laying down and it looked and played surprisingly well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Would not recommend as a VR game

I don't think SW Squadrons is something that people should be stating is an automatic no buy when there are lots of us who have had a great time in VR with it. It's good to warn people that you could potentially run into issues, but imo it's on my short list of favorite VR games. If it runs like poo poo on your computer you can always just refund it on Steam, but many of us have had minimal problems and the game itself is really cool in VR.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I’m really looking forward to buying squadrons again when I upgrade my pc, but the refund process on steam is super easy so trying stuff out isn’t a big risk.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I posted about my Quest 2 having a bit of fan noise last week and last night I got a System Error warning about the fan. Welp

Taking it back to Best Buy tonight but I think this is a sneaky plan by the Zuck to force me into a 256 model since my store is apparently out of 64s.

Edit: huh, apparently Best Buy has an extended return period ending on Jan 16th for purchases made starting Oct 13th (ie: Q2 launch day). Convenient!

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have a list of good seated , controller based games?

I greatly enjoyed Subnautica in VR but you need a surprisingly beefy system and a handful of VR quality of life mods. The various leviathans (or whatever they’re called) are scary as gently caress in VR.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stan Taylor posted:

Hellblade
Moss
Chronos
Edge of Nowhere
Trover saves the universe
Lucky's Tale (this one is free)
Astro-bot
Blaze rush
Pixel ripped 1989 and 1996

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Distance is nice for sitting and cruising. Some transition scenes break my eyes, though, since I don't think they stick to 3d. Ultrawings, too, if into flight sims/Pilotwings 64.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm pretty resigned to having no privacy from companies like Facebook and Amazon. But strapping the official Facebook headset, logging into an account linked to your real name and connected to your friends and family, and then pointing 4 cameras at your hog is the least tempting thing in existence.

I might be confusing you with someone else posting in this thread, but if you're worried about accuracy of hog tracking, maybe an outside-in system would work better?

An alternative could be 3D printing a Oculus Touch attachment

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bloodplay it again posted:

Wanted to talk a bit about Vertigo Remastered because it recently had some DLC and the only other mentions of it in this thread are Happyimp's recommendation and someone else asking about the game with no real response. As of this post, the DLC is on sale for another ~8.5 hours but it is cheaper to get the game + soundtrack + DLC than it is to get the game + DLC. The base game is on sale until October 30. Also included in Viveport Infinity and if you happened to have bought the original Veritgo, I think it's free for all owners on Steam.

If Alyx and Boneworks were up your alley (or you liked the idea of Boneworks, but hated the physics jank as your head bounced around between filing cabinets), don't sleep on this. This is 100% store brand UPC-stretches-across-the-box Half-Life and I love it. Three people made it, one of which was 17 when he got hired by Valve to work on TOP SECRET VR projects, including updating The Lab for knuckles and creating a knuckles interaction demo. It's a shame this isn't on all the best VR games blogspam lists because it has been a blast so far. Bangin soundtrack, too.

Imagine you're back in high school and you overhear a few nerds talking about how they're gonna make Half-Life but in virtual reality (an emerging tech shortly before graduation), so you chuckle gently to your goony self. Except, a few years later, despite the "goon game project" odds of completion stacked against the intrepid young nerdlings, they absolutely loving did it. You're bummin smokes off of people outside gas stations three years later and those god damned maniacs did it.

The DLC that was released last week is absolutely worth getting if you have any creative spark. It adds a few cool weapons and more game modes if you don't. The real reason to get it is its new fully-featured level editor and workshop support. "who cares? I'm not gonna mak--" shut up you insufferable prick because the editor is also in VR!

If you like HL:Alyx, there's absolutely no reason to not check the game out and refund within a couple of hours if you find it isn't your jam. It will be your jam, though, and you will hop in the same "how the hell did this go unnoticed?" boat in which I currently find myself.

wtf I can't believe Steam never showed me this game before based off my other VR games. Thanks for the rec, I will check this out! It also looks like there's a Vertigo 2 out sometime this year, i'm downloading the demo now...

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Pierson posted:

I got mine from https://vroptician.com/ and they're fantastic. Took my prescription, arrived in about a week, come with a good case and protective bags and everything.

Do you live in Germany? It says six weeks to actually make it (excluding shipping times) plus 30 dollars shipping to US...

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Do you live in Germany? It says six weeks to actually make it (excluding shipping times) plus 30 dollars shipping to US...

I can't speak to the US side of things but it took about 5 weeks for me to get mine in Australia. Most of that was in getting the lenses made rather than the shipping so I can't imagine it being overly different.

They are super easy to fit and are hugely better than trying to wear glasses while using the headset though so I'd 100% recommend getting a set.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've ordered from them three times (rift lenses for my spouse, and Index lenses for both of us) and each time it took only a week or two. It could potentially take longer, I'm sure, but it's never been a month'ish for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Oculus Link
Increased encode resolution which improves visual quality while running Link.

Oculus Rift S
We resolved an issue in Oculus Dash where pinned windows would show graphic distortion across the entire pane and not be visible to the user.

Also, the debug tool has a new setting:

This worked pretty well! I set "pixels per display pixel override" to 1.5, Encode Res Width to 3664 and Encode bitrate to 500, and games looked much, much better. The 72Hz is still frustrating, that just is too low for me. They need to get that universal 90Hz ASAP.