Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorTristan posted:

The story used to be up on the website, but it seems he’s taken it down now. The gist of it was that he was reading the wizards.com forums and was so incensed at the sheer number of Bad Opinions on there that he had no choice but to register and set them to rights. Naturally he needed a username that would impress upon them just powerful his RPG knowledge was, so he chose that B5 quote to impress upon Wrong People that he was the Vorlons to their Centauri and they should fear him.

I remember him telling the story about how he was a giant but how does that relate to Babylon 5 or whatever? I've never seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Acerbatus posted:

I remember him telling the story about how he was a giant but how does that relate to Babylon 5 or whatever? I've never seen that.

'giants in the playground' is something sheridan says in s4 when (huge, giant b5 spoilers) the vorlons and the shadows are seeing who can glass the most inhabited planets

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, but it's not a magic item. It's a box with a soul.

It'd be like trying to dispel a ghoul. It makes sense if you think about the D&D universe's metaphysics hard enough, but clearly not the same thing as the "magic" that spells are.

God, imagine trying to be a philosopher in D&D. You'd be so loving sour about how stupidly things work.

Edit: Throw out the eurypthro dilemma in a world with metaphysically real alignment as "Is it good because detect good finds it good, or does detect good find it good because it's good?"

A 3.5 phylactery is most definitely a magic item. It has a caster level and magic item creation feat requirement and everything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A.o.D. posted:

A 3.5 phylactery is most definitely a magic item. It has a caster level and magic item creation feat requirement and everything.

Yeah, but what would it mean to supress it? It's a box with a soul inside. You can't dispel a soul.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would say that dispelling the magic of a phylactery would cause the soul to no longer be contained, forcing it to move on to whatever afterlife it's destined to end up at. With the soul no longer connected to the lich body, it becomes a mindless undead.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I simply don't believe this has never come up before. I am positive there's an official ruling out there somewhere.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What is the interaction between a lich's phylactery and effects that dispel or suppress magic effects?

The discussion here seems to be settled on Dispel Magic and similar effects suppressing the lich's regeneration ability, which just amounts to a delay.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sirtommygunn posted:

I would say that dispelling the magic of a phylactery would cause the soul to no longer be contained, forcing it to move on to whatever afterlife it's destined to end up at. With the soul no longer connected to the lich body, it becomes a mindless undead.

Being able to insta-gib a high level Lich with a 3rd level Dispel Magic is terrible game balance, regardless of how you head-canon it. Furthermore, it explicitly says that destroying a phylactery doesn't kill the Lich unless you destroyed the Lich's body first. There are even rules for a Lich making itself a new phylactery if the old one is destroyed. So no, even if you Dispel the thing, the worst that happens would be the Lich has to make a new phylactery. But since they never explicitly call out a phylactery as a magic item, I'd say even that was a stretch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Makes sense to me that a phylactery is sort of its own category away from other magic items because of soul stuff in the same way a regular body isn't magic; they both contain your soul.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reminder that D&D spells are supposed to do only what they say they do and absolutely nothing more

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Reminder that D&D spells are supposed to do only what they say they do and absolutely nothing more

Wondering now how many DnD players go on to become lawyers.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I went to a thing at gencon thing where a lawyer talked about games through that lens. It was pretty neat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When I was applying to law school I wrote in the essay that I liked Magic the Gathering.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In any event, dispelling a phylactery is only a temporary effect, as dispel magic (as opposed to Disjunction, which actually does destroy magic items) only suppresses magic items for a short while.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even if you could destroy the phylactery with Disjunction, that wouldn't actually destroy the lich because the lich is only destroyed when both the phylactery and the skeleton are destroyed at the same time. So it'd be no different from just destroying the phylactery normally. Practically speaking, it seems to be less that the lich's soul is always stored in the phylactery and more like the phylactery acts a beacon to draw the soul in on death, preventing it from passing on to the afterlife normally. And then the body regenerates and the soul returns to the body or whatever. As mentioned earlier, a lich only feels a vague sense of dread when the phylactery is destroyed, and can make a new one given enough time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Clarste posted:

Even if you could destroy the phylactery with Disjunction, that wouldn't actually destroy the lich because the lich is only destroyed when both the phylactery and the skeleton are destroyed at the same time. So it'd be no different from just destroying the phylactery normally. Practically speaking, it seems to be less that the lich's soul is always stored in the phylactery and more like the phylactery acts a beacon to draw the soul in on death, preventing it from passing on to the afterlife normally. And then the body regenerates and the soul returns to the body or whatever. As mentioned earlier, a lich only feels a vague sense of dread when the phylactery is destroyed, and can make a new one given enough time.

What I'm wondering is if Xykon casts his big dispel in a fight, notices that his phylactery has suddenly "turned off" but since he thinks it's on the astral plane, immediately fucks off to his hidden fortress to find out what happened to it, only to leave Redcloak alone to face the whole OotS.

It'd be a case of team Evil getting screwed over by being too clever for their own good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What strip has the joke about getting the 5000gp of gems for less than that?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Yo. I ain't a rules lawyer, I'm a rules lawyer!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Len posted:

What strip has the joke about getting the 5000gp of gems for less than that?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0677.html

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

A.o.D. posted:

What I'm wondering is if Xykon casts his big dispel in a fight, notices that his phylactery has suddenly "turned off" but since he thinks it's on the astral plane, immediately fucks off to his hidden fortress to find out what happened to it, only to leave Redcloak alone to face the whole OotS.

It'd be a case of team Evil getting screwed over by being too clever for their own good.

Magic items can only be dispelled/ suppressed if they are the single target of the dispel - area dispels specifically state they do not affect magic items (though arguably the protections Redcloak cast on the phylactery would be affected by the dispel).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

Magic items can only be dispelled/ suppressed if they are the single target of the dispel - area dispels specifically state they do not affect magic items (though arguably the protections Redcloak cast on the phylactery would be affected by the dispel).

That's for a regular dispel. Xykon is swinging around something a bit more potent. The same rules may not apply.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A.o.D. posted:

That's for a regular dispel. Xykon is swinging around something a bit more potent. The same rules may not apply.

Don't we know exactly what he's swinging around? Superb Dispelling, I thought?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't we know exactly what he's swinging around? Superb Dispelling, I thought?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Which is just Greater Dispel Magic with a +40, so all the same rules apply.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Which is just Greater Dispel Magic with a +40, so all the same rules apply.

It's a good Xycon spell. Not clever or interesting, just a bigger hammer for hitting wizards.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Could Bloodfeast's Baleful Polymorph be undone by Superb Dispelling?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Actually, yes.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's also the last remaining Gate, the only thing holding back the Snarl from devouring reality, the thing that Xykon is going to be standing right next to at some climactic beat in the near future. I bet that could be temporarily suppressed by Superb Dispelling.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do I remember right that team evil is currently depleted after doing a delve?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They are, partially. And redcloak just used one of his ninths to get brutally owned.
I suspect xykon still has his epics though, because of course.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He’s a Sorcerer, he’s got spell slots for days.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

He’s a Sorcerer, he’s got spell slots for days.

It's been a while since I actually played D&D, but I thought Sorcerers got less spell slots in exchange for the flexibility of not having to prepare spells?

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe that was less total spells known.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Clarste posted:

It's been a while since I actually played D&D, but I thought Sorcerers got less spell slots in exchange for the flexibility of not having to prepare spells?

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe that was less total spells known.

Yeah, the second one. Wizards get to know every spell. Sorcerers get to cast the few spells they know more often.

The existence of scrolls throws all this into disarray regardless.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ponsonby Britt posted:

There's also the last remaining Gate, the only thing holding back the Snarl from devouring reality, the thing that Xykon is going to be standing right next to at some climactic beat in the near future. I bet that could be temporarily suppressed by Superb Dispelling.

Considering epic level spells are holding those in place, I suspect that the gate would be able to stand up to it. But it's also one of those things I wouldn't want to put money gp on.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

jng2058 posted:

Actually, yes.

Okay, now I am 100% sure this is going to be one of the reversals of fortune when the Order of the Stick fight Team Evil.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Considering epic level spells are holding those in place, I suspect that the gate would be able to stand up to it. But it's also one of those things I wouldn't want to put money gp on.

Superb Dispelling is also epic though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Minrah only knows the new team, so that's nice too
As in, Rich is okay.

Roy including everyone in on things, even unironically seeking Elan's advice on how the encounter would fit in the narrative was a great touch, but everyone was on point.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 1, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Man, I really like Roy's character arc here. The fact he's going to Elan for input and taking him seriously in his area of expertise is a fantastic little moment after how much he belittled and ignored him in the early days.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, this shows how the order has resolved its internal contradictions and is ready to move to the endgame. Though yeah, Elan is right that there are loose ends, specially concerning the Paladins and the nature of the Snarl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It also feels very like the PCs are being meta-gamey. "We're 45 minutes into a six hour session! There's no way we're ready for the final battle! Run for it!"

And yes, I know that there aren't really any "Players" controlling the OotS PCs. But it is a very "I can see this happening in a real game" moment.