Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've not had that any better success riding on freshly fallen snow with fat tires. It's still too powdery and packs between the knobs right away, living you with a giant slick torus of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

kimbo305 posted:

I've not had that any better success riding on freshly fallen snow with fat tires. It's still too powdery and packs between the knobs right away, living you with a giant slick torus of snow.

Were you riding snow specific tires? I have not experienced snow sticking to my Vee snow avalanches.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What pressure were you running and what width?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

n8r posted:

Were you riding snow specific tires? I have not experienced snow sticking to my Vee snow avalanches.

4.5" measured Vee Bulldozer. They're not particularly paddlelicious. And 4.2" Husker Dus before that, which had less traction but did shed snow well.

Suburban Dad posted:

What pressure were you running and what width?

less than 10 according to my pump but not really sure. I played it by ear, feeling out how much squish made sense.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lower. Like less than 5 and give it another shot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suburban Dad posted:

Some of us ride in snow. Remember that fat bikes exist. :)

Some of us ride in snow using 700x38cs!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

iospace posted:

Same, except 28cs and fixed gear. It's never on purpose, but it happens a few times a year

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

kimbo305 posted:

4.5" measured Vee Bulldozer. They're not particularly paddlelicious. And 4.2" Husker Dus before that, which had less traction but did shed snow well.

less than 10 according to my pump but not really sure. I played it by ear, feeling out how much squish made sense.

Just guessing pressures for fatbiking can mean a not fun time. I run 4.5f 5.5r for the groomed singletrack we have here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

iospace posted:

700x30 :clint:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad posted:

Not a fun thing to find when cleaning my bike. It appears to be a crack on the seat tube. It's a steel frame. I can probably get it welded, right? It's not exactly a critical failure point.

What's the risk in one more ride? Think it's okay?

A little over 24 hours later, and $45 well-spent, it's fixed. :dance:

I got it fixed by a local guy named Rod Rowland. He was super cool and easy to work with. I highly recommend him for any local DC area folks needing welding help.

https://www.rxrweld.com/

He gave me a cool sticker. The "Bikes" is for motorcycles, not bicycles :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Lower. Like less than 5 and give it another shot.

It could have been. My point about the pump is that what it reported below 10 wouldn’t match up well to reality.

n8r posted:

Just guessing pressures for fatbiking can mean a not fun time. I run 4.5f 5.5r for the groomed singletrack we have here.

Is there such a thing as too low? I had tubes in mine, and went as low as knicking the rims over expansion joints and stuff.

PS. I no longer have that bike, after the great fat bike trend faded

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

If you're cold, they're cold.

If fatbikes were dogs they'd be this dog.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

me your dad posted:

What do you all do when you come up fast behind a slower rider?

Get a good (loud) bell. Comes in handy all the time especially if you ride trails with lots of hiker traffic.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

18 Road in Fruita is definitely going through some major changes. New Events area, converting the dispersed camping into actual camp sites, reserve online, new trails coming with emphasis on racing (I assume to draw in the Middle/High School racing).

Also heard this conversation while camping (it was a group of 8 adults and like 10 kids):

Guy 1: asked what they have been riding and if Guy 2 rode with kid 1 and 2
Guy 2: Yeah I rode with them this morning, they are pretty overrated. Their parents really talk them up but they are not that great.

None of the kids were over the age of 10... I am pretty sure mountain biking is about to really get ruined for a bunch of kids. Also just what a dick.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

18 Road in Fruita is definitely going through some major changes. New Events area, converting the dispersed camping into actual camp sites, reserve online, new trails coming with emphasis on racing (I assume to draw in the Middle/High School racing).

Also heard this conversation while camping (it was a group of 8 adults and like 10 kids):

Guy 2: Yeah I rode with them this morning, they are pretty overrated. Their parents really talk them up but they are not that great.

None of the kids were over the age of 10... I am pretty sure mountain biking is about to really get ruined for a bunch of kids. Also just what a dick.

Sounds exactly like the type of people I would not want to MTB with.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lol at thinking you're hot poo poo for being faster than children

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Parents like this are why I eventually quit referring.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I had to read that 4 times before I figured out he was saying the kids were overrated. I thought he was talking about the trails or something. Just didn't occur to me a that someone would be insulting the riding ability of children.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bamhand posted:

I had to read that 4 times before I figured out he was saying the kids were overrated. I thought he was talking about the trails or something. Just didn't occur to me a that someone would be insulting the riding ability of children.

Ha, yeah I can see that. Sadly he was talking about the kids.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Yeah I did that for years. 700x35 with studs is totally fine except for fresh 10cm+ snow.

Before that 700x28ish gp4ks and that was not fine at all but survivable if you stuck to existing tracks I guess

me your dad posted:

A little over 24 hours later, and $45 well-spent, it's fixed. :dance:

that's awesome.

spwrozek posted:

gently caress that guy :mad:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 26, 2020

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Jealous of the trails some of you goons have access too. With Covid being what it is, like the rest of the US, I decided it was a good time to upgrade in a big way. Here is the old ride

a 25 year old Stumpjumper with a somewhat recently sourced Zoke Bomber.

Weeks and weeks of searching and finally found this

2019 Breezer Lightning Team 29er. Decent groupo. Nice enough shock. Priced under MSRP. Haven't swapped it to tubeless yet. Absolutely demolished some old PRs on a nearby trail system and road in/out of some other stuff nearby. Only 3 rides on it so far with maybe a total of 30sih miles between them, but I'm spending a lot of time counting down the days until I can ride it again. Absolute blast of a bike that fits my use case about as perfectly as I could have hoped for.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Congrats - that's quite a leap in ride quality. I would prioritize going tubeless. For me it was a game changer, especially for a hardtail since decreasing the tire pressure means less bouncing off rocks and roots. Plus, fewer flats.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just replaced the air spring in my Fox 34 Rhythm. I went from a 130 to a 140. Went really well cleaning it out and making it better than new. Did the wiper seals and all that as well. I feel really accomplished. I have really gone down the maintenance rabbit hole with tools and lubes and bike stand. Pretty fun stuff.

I did learn that the people who put together Fox forks at the factory are idiots and use WAY too much lube. There was so much gunk in mine that the positive pressure was insane while trying to remove the spring. From what I see on the net it is extremely common. I am almost of the mind that you should pull a brand new one apart and clean it from day one.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed, I had a similar experience.

I'd like to get into the damper cartridge next, I did the airspring rebuild for my shock as well. Easier than the fork as there's no oil, it's just new seals and stuff.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

Just replaced the air spring in my Fox 34 Rhythm. I went from a 130 to a 140. Went really well cleaning it out and making it better than new. Did the wiper seals and all that as well. I feel really accomplished. I have really gone down the maintenance rabbit hole with tools and lubes and bike stand. Pretty fun stuff.

I did learn that the people who put together Fox forks at the factory are idiots and use WAY too much lube. There was so much gunk in mine that the positive pressure was insane while trying to remove the spring. From what I see on the net it is extremely common. I am almost of the mind that you should pull a brand new one apart and clean it from day one.

"we know these dumb fuckers aren't going to do a service until the anodizing wears off, might as well at least make sure it doesn't dry out"

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

"we know these dumb fuckers aren't going to do a service until the anodizing wears off, might as well at least make sure it doesn't dry out"

You are probably right. Just riding around the street a bit it feels so much better and responsive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Conversely, my boxxer didn't come with enough oil and I didn't notice until someone pointed out the anodizing was wearing off. I like the fox approach better.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It's the slickoleum not the oil there's too much of on the fox forks, and mine seemed to only drain a small amount when I pulled it apart...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

It's the slickoleum not the oil there's too much of on the fox forks, and mine seemed to only drain a small amount when I pulled it apart...

Right the oil was fine (except dirty). The grease is the issue. The air can't exchange between the positive and negative chamber. I had so much air stuck in the chamber that I could barely pull our the air spring. It was loud as hell once I finally popped it free.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yep same, I think part of the reason it feels so much better after is you actually have a negative chamber!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

spwrozek posted:

Right the oil was fine (except dirty). The grease is the issue. The air can't exchange between the positive and negative chamber. I had so much air stuck in the chamber that I could barely pull our the air spring. It was loud as hell once I finally popped it free.

Yuuuuuuuuup

I did the seals and oil change a week or two ago and when I was done noticed that I had lost like 5mm of travel and my fork was bottoming out much easier. I had to put more air in it than I should have to keep it firmed up. Which was all a result of the over greased air spring trapping air in the negative chamber etc etc so I had to pull it apart yesterday and clean it out. Now the fork feels more normal.

I also got that loud pop when taking it out and it shot grease across the room onto my gravel bike.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

It was loud as hell once I finally popped it free.

Levitate posted:

I also got that loud pop when taking it out and it shot grease across the room onto my gravel bike.

That's what good plushy sounds like.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The answer is always more Slickoleum

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Hey, I'm trying to get my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. Hoping I might get a decent end of season deal on a used bike. I'm pretty set on a hardtail, mostly for affordability. My usage is going to be northeastern single track without much elevation. Different mountain biking friends are giving me different advice on looking for a 29 or a 27.5. So seems like the best course of action is to get more opinions from more people. Is there a consensus, or an easy rubric?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ought ten posted:

Hey, I'm trying to get my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. Hoping I might get a decent end of season deal on a used bike. I'm pretty set on a hardtail, mostly for affordability. My usage is going to be northeastern single track without much elevation. Different mountain biking friends are giving me different advice on looking for a 29 or a 27.5. So seems like the best course of action is to get more opinions from more people. Is there a consensus, or an easy rubric?

Ride both, if possible. When I started riding, I had a lovely 26 and when I got a 29er I felt like I could just easily roll over everything. I tried a 27.5 a couple years later and everything just clicked for me. I'm really happy with my 27.5 for the riding I do, but I can see getting a 29 in the future if I lived somewhere else.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yep, check your local bike shops and just ride everything they have to get a feel for what sizing you like/need.

I got back into bikes this summer after 20 years off and at 5'10, 29 felt just a little too big and unstable for me while 27.5 felt just right and playful for re-learning everything. When I go full suspension it might even be a mullet because i'm an idiot and like weird poo poo.

We have a nice little discord going, hop in if you want more instant answers to stuff. We've also been doing world cup downhill watch parties, sharing crash pictures, etc

https://discord.gg/GnfAa4FwGW

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2020

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks. I did ride a full suspension 29er a couple years ago and it definitely felt like a huge step up from my early 00s 26. But haven’t been on a 27.5. I’ll try to get on some more bikes. It’s been tough with the pandemic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

For a hard tail I'll say try a 27.5 plus bike. Little more squish in the back and more grip. Similar rollover to a 29 and more sidewall but also more weight. Seems like the ideal bike where it's flat, IMO. I'd buy one if I were looking for a hard tail and I'm in the Midwest where it's also pretty flat.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
29er for life. 🙌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've not enjoyed the 27.5+ I had for out here in Massachusetts (rocky, rooty, very short sometimes steep climbs/descents).
I think you can get the tire pressure just right so that you get the right amount of support without everything feeling rubbery and disconnected, but it takes extra effort to get there.
The extra weight is noticeable for sure. If the rollover ease is what you want, normal 29 is totally fine.

I'm now running 27.5 and it's a bit more challenging for climbs, but geometry is a big factor is descents, and it's fine there.
I think if I were buying a whole bike, I'd still go for 29.