Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I've been wondering what ropekid has been up to lately.
I'm Obsidian's studio design director, so I give design feedback on all of Obsidian's games. I also am directing my own small project that I can't talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

rope kid posted:

I'm Obsidian's studio design director, so I give design feedback on all of Obsidian's games. I also am directing my own small project that I can't talk about.

How's the road trip going?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's done. I just drove up to Oregon for the weekend, did an overnight bike tour on the Aufderheide Scenic Byway, and came back home.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sounds like a pretty clear signal to start speculating on what will show up in the Cascadia Wasteland

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So that's how forests look in North America. Now I understand why early FPS games had forests that are just a painted wall.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

rope kid posted:

Is it FY:SMD?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Maybe it's a cycling game? Obsidian makes a bold move into the sports game genre.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

v1ld posted:

They're not using 5e from what I read, too expensive to license I assume. So they've done their own take on classes alomg with other stuff.

They are absolutely using 5e, they just have access to trimmed down version of it through the SRD, so they can't use some character options and the lore. From what I've heard, their new options are better than what's present in the Player's Handbook anyway, but the ruleset is absolutely 5e.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Finally sat down and finished all the deadfire DLC. It makes me realize how hungry I am for more Pillars of Eternity content. It's been a long while since I've really found an RPG universe and characters I'm actually invested in.

I'm hoping Avowed does well enough that one day we have an entire Eora-spanning epic finale.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

rope kid posted:

Maybe you can sing about it, have you tried that?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They are absolutely using 5e, they just have access to trimmed down version of it through the SRD, so they can't use some character options and the lore. From what I've heard, their new options are better than what's present in the Player's Handbook anyway, but the ruleset is absolutely 5e.

I can at least understand using tabletop system hostile to videogaming if it is prepackaged with world, lore and at least somewhat balanced content. I don't get why would you only import all the confusing stuff designed around using physical dice.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

gently caress off Batman posted:

Maybe you can sing about it, have you tried that?

Actually genuinely curious why ropekid has Fischer-dieskau as his avatar

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rope kid posted:

It's done. I just drove up to Oregon for the weekend, did an overnight bike tour on the Aufderheide Scenic Byway, and came back home.

that's a great setup on that bike. Did that frame-pump come with it? love the color.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

zenguitarman posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember him mentioning somewhere that his first major in college was music.

I've always wanted to do bike camping. It seems hella neat to me, and seeing bikes loaded up like that is super cool. I just never got around to it, because I'm lame. I don't even have an excuse, because I have friends that do it who live like an hour's drive away. Well, I guess my excuse is that I don't own any of the kit, including a more appropriate bike, and it'd be a fair bit of money to get it.

I can't decide between a beguiler/trickster and a troubadour/trickster. I freaking love cipher's mind blades*, but I do not love that cipher stolen-buffs go away when the target you stole them from dies. That's annoying and dumb. Chanters are neat too, I love bards and bard-a-likes. Chanters bring more party utility, which is a plus, and their buffs don't fade when a target dies. But they're probably not as good from a debuff/control perspective, and they don't get :krad: mind blades. I could also go soul blade instead of beguiler for cipher, but soul blades just don't seem that great. Plus I plan on using a gun at least some of the time.

* I modded it so a multiclass cipher can get it at tier 7, and also modded it to be self-targetable. Mind blades makes me a little sad that they don't have any kind of weapon tag, so you don't get any benefit from stuff that buffs daggers or whatever, and they're not actually very good as weapons. Especially compared to wizard summoned weapons which are STRONK. I suppose I could try modding that too, but adding a weapon type to a summoned weapon is definitely very uncharted territory for my incredibly rudimentary, hacked-together modding skills. I might also see if I can change their color, because why not :v:

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 24, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve discovered that the “auto-level companions” is doubly a trap: besides the ability selections not being particularly optimal, it may sometimes even give you fewer abilities overall.

For example, Priests normally get the ability on the far-left of the tree for free as they increase in Power Level... But not Xoti, if she’s auto-levelled. She spends points to get those. I just tested her auto-level selections by manually increasing my level by one and repeatedly recruiting her, and recording what she picks.

So a Xoti who auto-levelled all the way to 20 will have 28 ability points spent... versus the 37 a fully player-directed Xoti gets.

I also checked with Edér, using the same level-up-by-one method, and as a Fighter he only spends 1 point at level 16 when he should have 2 to spend... As a Rogue, weirdly enough he gets 3 at level 11 but none at level 12 (so it evens out, I guess)... And as a Swashbuckler, at level 6, he picks a Power Level 3 ability when he only should only have access to Power Level 2. Just goofy stuff all around.

Anyway, my personal project of recording how the game auto-levels your guys is cancelled because after seeing what it does to Xoti, it’s pretty unusable.

edit:
Here's a lovely, homegrown Xoti versus a soulless, auto-levelled Xoti at level 20:

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 24, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That might be intentional. The kind of player who doesn’t want to gently caress with manually leveling tons of characters might also not care to have to deal with that many abilities.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe, but then they could’ve just put the missing points into passive abilities.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm certain it's a bug, but I guess few enough people autolevelled their character that it was never caught

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://www.twitch.tv/jesawyer

rope kid's doing a donation stream playing New Vegas, if you guys haven't heard :toot:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve been away from the game for a long time but getting back into it. Part of why I drifted away is that the character concept I had was for a cipher/wizard, but generally the advice was that this probably wouldn’t be that great because of the anti-synergy of casting spells vs trying to build resources with physical attacks. Since I came back, I see there is a new Psion subclass which seems like it might solve this problem for me?

I’ve been looking around for build guides or advice but it seems like most of that was created in 2018. So wondering if the thread has insights to share.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Psion would work better with a wizard for sure, since both classes basically don't want to get hit. Focus gain is slow on a psion though, which is too off-putting for me to have tried one as of yet

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zenguitarman posted:

I originally went to the Lawrence University Conservatory of Music for vocal performance.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve been away from the game for a long time but getting back into it. Part of why I drifted away is that the character concept I had was for a cipher/wizard, but generally the advice was that this probably wouldn’t be that great because of the anti-synergy of casting spells vs trying to build resources with physical attacks. Since I came back, I see there is a new Psion subclass which seems like it might solve this problem for me?

I’ve been looking around for build guides or advice but it seems like most of that was created in 2018. So wondering if the thread has insights to share.

I don't know if you care for mods or not but this one seemed to be the same concept as psion, but the gain was much faster. I only tested in turn-based but Psion always had 6 focus per round while this one scaled up, I was getting 20 per round on single class cipher at level 12.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/98

So try that if you think the focus regen on psion is too slow.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
As I delve back into character creation after messing with BG3 (and then BG 1 and NWN for nostalgia's sake) I am struck by how deeply humane the attributes system is in this game. Instead of "there is only one way to be a X, did you pick a race that does not have bonuses to your class's main stat? you fool" Deadfire says "there's lots of ways to be a wizard! so many ways! none of them are wrong, probably!" which is really nice.

And, uh, makes character creation much, much harder.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

As I delve back into character creation after messing with BG3 (and then BG 1 and NWN for nostalgia's sake) I am struck by how deeply humane the attributes system is in this game. Instead of "there is only one way to be a X, did you pick a race that does not have bonuses to your class's main stat? you fool" Deadfire says "there's lots of ways to be a wizard! so many ways! none of them are wrong, probably!" which is really nice.

I agree with you 100 % and I also love how the races coalesce into cultures and don't stay as homogenous groups. Collectively it really allows for a huge range of characters that you can plausibly fit into the world. It really was the best way to insert Elves and Dwarves into the world. Even better is you can still hit the tropes with them (see Dwarves mining at the white forge and rear end in a top hat forest elves in the glanfathan tribes) without it taking away from your city slicker scientist elf from the Valian Republics.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

The true roleplaying experience is looking up the right build for a class you want to play and then enjoying no challenge gameplay, laughing at noobs who didn't take 2 level Charisma Monk dip for their Paladin.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Is Ydwin supposed to be able to use soulbound weapons? I gave her a soulbound rapier and she seemed to be leveling it up, but since I got it late game it never made it to level 2 to be sure. Maybe I'm missing something but I figured she wouldn't be able to bind to them.

ilitarist posted:

The true roleplaying experience is looking up the right build for a class you want to play and then enjoying no challenge gameplay, laughing at noobs who didn't take 2 level Charisma Monk dip for their Paladin.

This is what I did and never really learned how the mechanics of the game worked.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
There shouldn't be any reason Ydwin can't use soulbound gear. Soulbound weapons don't level up through XP though. Each rank has certain tasks you have to accomplish, like blind 10 enemies or the likes. It appears the first task to level up Seeker's Fang is to apply 35 afflictions to enemies. You should be able to inspect the weapon and it will have a "n/35 afflictions" tally.

Also, I'm pretty sure the weapon has to be equipped when you cause the afflictions, so if it's in her never-used secondary weapon set, that'd explain why.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I think that the OP means that Ydwin shouldn't be able to use them because she has no soul to speak of

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think that the OP means that Ydwin shouldn't be able to use them because she has no soul to speak of

In general most of the companions, especially the sidekicks, don't have significant gameplay effects for their gimmicks beyond maybe their unique subclasses. The most extreme was the Devil of Caroc and her bound armor/immunity to various afflictions iirc. Other than that they are pretty close to someone you could make yourself, especially the sidekicks (who iirc all could be 100% replicated?) Maybe she would have had more unique stuff if her kickstarter goal had been reached.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ravenfood posted:

In general most of the companions, especially the sidekicks, don't have significant gameplay effects for their gimmicks beyond maybe their unique subclasses. The most extreme was the Devil of Caroc and her bound armor/immunity to various afflictions iirc. Other than that they are pretty close to someone you could make yourself, especially the sidekicks (who iirc all could be 100% replicated?) Maybe she would have had more unique stuff if her kickstarter goal had been reached.

I think that the OP means that Ydwin shouldn't be able to use them because she is a vampire

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ilitarist posted:

the most important role playing experience in a game needs to be in the five minutes of chargen otherwise its not a real rpg

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I think that the OP means that Ydwin shouldn't be able to use them because she is a vampire

Yes I know. And, rightfully, Obsidian chose to make the gameplay ramifications of that, and all companions quirks', generally minimal.

Mostly I'm curious how different she would be if at all if her kickstarter goal had been met and she was a full companion.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 26, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ravenfood posted:

Other than that they are pretty close to someone you could make yourself, especially the sidekicks (who iirc all could be 100% replicated?)

It would have been great if Obsidian did a thing where you could "apply" a sidekick/companion's personality to a custom adventurer. Maybe put some restrictions (like Pallegina must be a Paladin) for the companions, but I don't see why not for the sidekicks.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Hulk Smash! posted:

But she does have a soul. It's right there in her body, just cut off from the cycle of rebirth. She would be like a hollowborn child (or just plain dead?) otherwise.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ravenfood posted:

Yes I know. And, rightfully, Obsidian chose to make the gameplay ramifications of that, and all companions quirks', generally minimal.

Mostly I'm curious how different she would be if at all if her kickstarter goal had been met and she was a full companion.

Yeah, you did. I only properly read your post after I hit that post button but was too lazy to edit.

I never followed PoE 2 kickstarter like I did for PoE, how was her character presented as a kickstarter goal?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

My first play through of the game was Psion/Blood Mage on veteran. It worked pretty well, but i never tried it again on POTD so I can't speak to that. It's really micro heavy though since you're non stop casting in every encounter. The basic idea is to throw out cipher spells when you've amassed enough focus, and the rest of the time you play as a blood mage.

Your weapon won't matter because you're never going to use it, so just grab one of the power level stat sticks or something. As everyone else mentioned, at higher levels the Psion focus gain rate is already kinda slow compared to a regular cipher with a decent weapon build, so make sure you try really hard not to get hit by anything or you might as well not even have the cipher half.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ydwin not being able to use soulbounds would have been badass. Give her a custom subclass like "freed from the wheel" and have that as the drawback. Then again I like putting soulbounds on the sidekicks since I use them a lot in the DLC.

I never followed PoE 2 kickstarter like I did for PoE, how was her character presented as a kickstarter goal?
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/278

quote:

We wanted to give you more detail on our potential 8th companion and current sidekick Ydwin, the Pale Elf. An image of her appears above, giving you some sense of what she'll look like, but we've got a more detailed description of how should could be fleshed out as a complete companion in Pillars II, courtesy of Narrative Designer Carrie Patel, as well:

Ydwin, our eighth and final companion (we hope!), is a pale elf rogue/cipher with extensive training as an animancer. She was born in a remote, lawless settlement in the White that Wends, where she witnessed the cruelest extremes of kith and nature. Her observations fueled a fascination with animancy, and she eventually made her way to the Vailian Republics to study. She's since become an accomplished master in the field, and advances with luminous adra in the Deadfire have drawn her to the archipelago.

Let's push hard to unlock Ydwin and get her into the game!

She was a $5m stretch goal, and the campaign ended at $4.4m, making people surprisingly sad given the above was literally all they knew about her. Just goes to show how effective a quick verbal sketch of a character can be!

Bonus link to the update that first introduced sidekicks as a stretch goal: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/273

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ilitarist posted:

I can at least understand using tabletop system hostile to videogaming if it is prepackaged with world, lore and at least somewhat balanced content. I don't get why would you only import all the confusing stuff designed around using physical dice.

I've been thinking about it for quite a while, and I think one big advantage of tabletop systems is that, because they're designed to be played without the aid of a computer, they're a lot easier to grasp in terms of rules compared to something like PoE, where the calculations are a lot heavier on the math.

Of course, the flipside is that it tends to be a lot coarser and not well-engineered to deal with certain complexities of the simulation, but in the case of games like Solasta and Baldur's Gate 3, I don't get the impression the devs would be interested in that either way.

P.S. : D&D 5th ed. does have a bunch of its own D&D legacy balance problems and kind of wonky math where advantage/disadvantage becomes progressively less useful cumulatively, but it's also probably the simplest and most elegant D&D has been in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've been thinking about it for quite a while, and I think one big advantage of tabletop systems is that, because they're designed to be played without the aid of a computer, they're a lot easier to grasp in terms of rules compared to something like PoE, where the calculations are a lot heavier on the math.

I've read D&D 4e player manual around year 2011 I think. By that time I've played most Infinity Engine games, NWN1/2. Not on easy difficulty, mind you. Only from that book I've learned that actually all hit or skill check rolls are done with d20. Before that I just looked at combat log and assumed it was a randomized percentage of my modifier roll or a stat or something. When the D&D game says "2 to hit" it actually means "+10% to hit" (which a game like Pillars of Eternity shows) and when it says "+1 to Dexterity" it might mean changing a lot of your rolls by +1 if your Dex is uneven or absolutely nothing if your Dex is even. When you cast a spell D&D game tells you that the damage would be 1d6 + 1d4 per two levels of caster above level 5 or something while a game like PoE2 tells you that the damage would be 3-14.

So I don't think those calculations are easier to grasp. The math is easier but it's applied with special tools. If you have a dice in your hand it makes sense to think about everything in d20 terms and some values only affecting stuff when they're even, but if all the calculations are done for you then it's much easier to wrap your head about percentage probabilities and +1 bonus to anything having the same effect no matter if the current value is 13 or 14.

Tabletop system on PC looks to me like an abacus emulator.

Edit: Another important thing is that PC RPGs try to be huge. As I understand in tabletop you won't have 10 fights in 10 minutes. You all look at almost each dice roll understanding how every stat influences stuff. From what I saw in BG3 videos they're going for that feel. But when you have a lot of trash fights you get a completely different feel. In Infinity Engine games it often feels like a lottery, whoever is lucky to strike first wins.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 27, 2020