Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any clues on what can hold its own against monored and Yorion Doom Foretold type piles alike? I feel like Rakdos has had solid game against monored but just can't pressure Doom enough. And I definitely run into those more than any other deck where I am.

Doom Foretold is like any combo deck, it folds to counters or discard. As for Radkos, it does reasonably well against any aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Doom Foretold is like any combo deck, it folds to counters or discard. As for Radkos, it does reasonably well against any aggro.

Right. I'm trying to find something with game against both, though because the two make up almost all my matches.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
gently caress me I've been on a slide in standard all week.

3-18 in plat 4 with 5 different decks. Just cannot get anything close to a win streak together. I'm like .500 with kroxa mid, but I just don't like playing that deck. I'm sick of doom mirrors and really sick of yorion mirrors.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Right. I'm trying to find something with game against both, though because the two make up almost all my matches.

It's kind of difficult - the most recent bans pretty cleanly knocked off the two most powerful decks and the standard hasn't really settled.

Dimir Control might be one answer. Lots of cheap creatures to get on board, Lurrus and Call of the Death Dweller to slow down Doom.

Mono U Control can also work. I've run into a couple different versions but the basic gameplan is the same - slow down your opponent (you have good answers for both here), draw into infinity, keep untapping Nyx Lotus with Corridor Monitor until you can Thassa's Oracle your deck away with infinite devotion. I can't speak to this particular version, but when this deck goes off it's pretty impressive. RDW is probably a harder matchup for you if they get a god draw and you don't have the answers for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
GW Yorion dumpsters any other midrange deck that is not UW Yorion, the only deck I lost to yesterday was some crazy Rielle the Everwise deck that just kills you with fling. Otherwise I’m still enjoying GW Blinky Food a lot, but we have officially hit a “counterspells are good” part of the meta.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

GW Yorion dumpsters any other midrange deck that is not UW Yorion, the only deck I lost to yesterday was some crazy Rielle the Everwise deck that just kills you with fling. Otherwise I’m still enjoying GW Blinky Food a lot, but we have officially hit a “counterspells are good” part of the meta.

Man I love Rielle, she can get so crazy. Rielle + Teferi's Tutelage + (All the red spells that make you discard your cards or hand like Thrill of Possibility, Cathartic Reunion and Ox of Agonas)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the game saw fit to grace me with four copies of rielle. I've never ever untapped with her on the board

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm relatively new to Arena, started playing a couple weeks ago after watching a bunch of Day9's stuff. I made a silly deck based on his Big Red Deck(with what cards I have available to me and using some wildcards) that has won me about 60% of the games I've played with it. But it's hilarious when it works right and just generally fun to play, though I obviously wish I had the resources his god account does to casually throw in any cards he wants.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bugsy posted:

gently caress me I've been on a slide in standard all week.

3-18 in plat 4 with 5 different decks. Just cannot get anything close to a win streak together. I'm like .500 with kroxa mid, but I just don't like playing that deck. I'm sick of doom mirrors and really sick of yorion mirrors.

Yeah Yorion mirrors are some of the grindiest games I've ever played.

The metagame has kind of shifted away from Kroxa. Everyone was playing Kroxa because it was good against Rogues. Now everyone's playing Skyclave Apparition and Glass Casket in their Yorion decks, which Kroxa isn't great against.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rogues beats Yorion if you literally counter every spell they cast but the Lurrus mill builds can’t reliably close out against 80 card piles so which version of rogues you play is probably dictated by whether people are playing Good 60 card Yorion decks or bad 80 card Yorion decks in your ladder

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm still playing the old version of UB Rogues, that attacks as a plan A and mills as a plan B. I love that moment where it's like a switch flips, and I realize that I can win by going for the mill instead of attacking with creatures. Had a brutal match against mill rogues where he won game three with 0 cards in his library.

Shrecknet posted:

I don't know who in this thread recommended Fair Burn to me, but thank you. It is an absolute joy to play, tons of interaction and decision points every turn so every loss is always 100% your fault. I see now why Patrick Sullivan likes the archetype so much

What deck is this?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Human Eldraine is intriguing because back in the bot draft days you could literally force Merfolk Secretkeepers every single draft and get like 5 of them and play mill, which was just silly

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me how bad I did with this draft: draft, deck

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Technowolf posted:

I probably wouldn't have opted to go white so early - with the second pick I'm probably going Fierce Witchstalker because its a strong card and you don't have to go off Green too early, and that third pick I'm definitely not going Garenbrig Squire, its just a super weak card (its virtually a vanilla 2/2). Same thing with pick 4, Ardenvale Paladin is a weak card, and I'd probably go Maraleaf Rider there. I probably would have gone Red-Green given the cards I see here

Some of the cards you play I wouldn't maindeck, like Fell the Pheasant or Righteousness

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Technowolf posted:

pretty rusty on eldraine so my card evaluations might be a little off

P1P2: I think you're forcing the innkeeper a little too hard here. It's putting you into a second color and even in a g/w adventure deck, you'd rather have the Fierce Witchstalker. Syr Carah is also a super strong card.
P1P3: Garenbrig Squire kind of sucks even in an adventure deck. It's hard to line up the timing where you're casting an adventure at a time where the pump matters. i don't remember the set well enough to know what the best card here is.
P1P4: This doesn't even fit with what you're trying to force. If you want to be opening with Innkeeper on turn 1, you won't be running enough plains to cast this for adamant.
P1P5: Arcanist Owl is really good.
Then you see another shinechaser and the first one wheels. Feel like that was a strong indicator to draft white/blue. The second pack you're waffling between w/u, and g/w but there's not much fixing in the set, you gotta commit to one or the other. You got too infatuated with the innkeeper and it made you take weak supporting cards instead of looking for whatever is powerful/open.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Technowolf posted:

Witchstalker and Outmuscle are the best commons in green, and you passed 3 copies of them in your first two packs. Unsurprisingly this meant that no one passed you good green cards in pack 3. The 5th pick scorching dragonfire was a big indicator that you would be getting red cards passed your way.

If your first picks went Innkeeper -> Witchstalker -> Rimrock (peculating on adventure) ->Rider -> Dragonfire you'd have been in a good position to grab playable R/G cards in the back end of the pack like dwarves, halberd, redcap, or merchant, and you'd have also scooped Outmuscle P2P1 and another witchstalker P2P3.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

cascade singleton is kinda nuts when you go off. t2 cobra into goose, t3 ashaya into scythecat, t4 stonecoil serpent for 8. lol.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs-product-suggestions/suggestions/41731684-correct-mirage-basic-lands-to-old-border
Please vote with your vote button to get the Mirage lands changed to have the old border that the Euro lands have

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Technowolf posted:

You did it again, you took your P1p1 choice and railroaded yourself into a deck that contains that mechanic at the expense of other, better cards that don't necessarily have the mechanic your first pick has.

I am glad that when you reviewed the draft, you realized that fierce witch stalker is better than the white adventure card you took p2p1 (syr carah was the pick though, iirc from eldraine cards, it's a very strong card.).

Edit: is it "pick 1, pack 1" or "pack 1, pick 1"? I thought it was the former, not the latter.

So I thought it goes like:
P1P1
P2P1
P15P1
P1P2
Etc.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 24, 2020

canis minor
May 4, 2011

After the last update, whenever I finish the game, the victory or defeat screen stays on - I'm forced to look for 10s at the animation until a message "Click to continue" appears. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pack 1, pick 1

p1p1
p1p2 etc

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Looking for some help with my Gruul CoCo deck.

Hit mythic with it last month no problem, this month has been much more challenging. I feel like I should probably be running some DFC lands from ZNR, but to be honest the math involved in trying to figure out how many DFCs can replace actual lands makes my head hurt (also why I don't want to draft the set).

More and more CoCo doesn't even seem that strong, more often than not either I whiff or it gets countered, hence the 3 in the deck. Holding up four mana with aggro feels bad, too. But I love the concept so much, so I wanna stick with it even if it keeps the deck in solid tier 2 status.

Thinking I should maybe be running some Scoozes mainboard, but the Khenras do a LOT of work--swinging for four with a T1 pelt collector on turn 2 feels good, and eternalize gives me outs later in the game if things have stalled. Have won a few games on the Kenra's pump on a Spellbreaker from a CoCo. But with the amount of Rakdos Arcanist maybe it's best to replace them?

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TipTow posted:

Looking for some help with my Gruul CoCo deck.

Hit mythic with it last month no problem, this month has been much more challenging. I feel like I should probably be running some DFC lands from ZNR, but to be honest the math involved in trying to figure out how many DFCs can replace actual lands makes my head hurt (also why I don't want to draft the set).

More and more CoCo doesn't even seem that strong, more often than not either I whiff or it gets countered, hence the 3 in the deck. Holding up four mana with aggro feels bad, too. But I love the concept so much, so I wanna stick with it even if it keeps the deck in solid tier 2 status.

Thinking I should maybe be running some Scoozes mainboard, but the Khenras do a LOT of work--swinging for four with a T1 pelt collector on turn 2 feels good, and eternalize gives me outs later in the game if things have stalled. Have won a few games on the Kenra's pump on a Spellbreaker from a CoCo. But with the amount of Rakdos Arcanist maybe it's best to replace them?

IMO this is the best version of Historic Gruul right now.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3499030#paper

You can tinker with it and find space for Scoozes, Robbers, Khenras, etc but this basic shell will do a lot of work on it's own.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Any good decks for the Singleton event? I don't have enough brainpower this morning to brew my own.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

IMJack posted:

Any good decks for the Singleton event? I don't have enough brainpower this morning to brew my own.

I just ran my deck from the last singleton event:
1 Castle Embereth
9 Forest
1 Spikefield Hazard
1 Gilded Goose
1 Robber of the Rich
1 Scorching Dragonfire
1 Anax, Hardened in the Forge
1 Bonecrusher Giant
1 Phoenix of Ash
1 Chandra, Heart of Fire
1 Tectonic Giant
1 Song-Mad Treachery
1 Terror of the Peaks
1 Embercleave
1 Immortal Phoenix
1 Purphoros's Intervention
1 Ilysian Caryatid
9 Mountain
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tangled Florahedron
1 Wildborn Preserver
1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Cultivate
1 Garruk's Harbinger
1 Llanowar Visionary
1 Lovestruck Beast
1 Arasta of the Endless Web
1 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
1 Questing Beast
1 Vivien, Monsters' Advocate
1 Elder Gargaroth
1 The Great Henge
1 Wildwood Scourge
1 Kogla, the Titan Ape
1 Radha, Heart of Keld
1 Quartzwood Crasher
1 Bonders' Enclave
1 Fabled Passage
1 Field of Ruin
1 Fervent Champion
1 Akoum Warrior
1 Temple of Abandon
1 Rugged Highlands
1 Klothys, God of Destiny

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

IMJack posted:

I think any red with seven seven dwarfs plus making sure you have plenty of 3 plus spells red spells seemed to make winning a breeze

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

IMJack posted:

All the fun decks I tried got run over by green ramp value piles or run under by gruul aggro, so I just ran under all of them with Izzet Seven Dwarves

Deck
7 Seven Dwarves (ELD) 141
11 Island (ANB) 113
1 Frillscare Mentor (IKO) 121
1 Wingspan Mentor (IKO) 72
13 Mountain (ANB) 114
1 Sonorous Howlbonder (IKO) 230
1 Cloudkin Seer (ANB) 25
1 Relic Robber (ZNR) 153
1 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143
1 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
1 Crystalline Giant (IKO) 234
1 The Royal Scions (ELD) 199
1 The Triumph of Anax (THB) 160
1 Of One Mind (IKO) 60
1 Sea-Dasher Octopus (IKO) 66
1 Alirios, Enraptured (THB) 42
1 Animating Faerie (ELD) 38
1 Barrin, Tolarian Archmage (M21) 45
1 Bolt Hound (M21) 131
1 Ferocity of the Wilds (ELD) 123
1 Flame Spill (IKO) 117
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
1 Soul Sear (M21) 160
1 Valakut Awakening (ZNR) 174
1 Convolute (IKO) 45
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Neutralize (IKO) 59
1 Ichthyomorphosis (THB) 51
1 Field Research (ZNR) 58
1 Glasspool Mimic (ZNR) 60
1 Thirst for Meaning (THB) 74
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Technowolf posted:

ELD is a set that rewards you hugely for finding the open lane, and there are 15 lanes (each colour combination and mono-colour decks), plus there are a bunch of rares worth splashing for like Oko and Garruk. There are power level differences in these archetypes but in general most are viable as long as they're open.

You can leverage this knowledge by staying as open as long as possible, by picking same colour cards a little higher unless there's a compelling reason to move off it. This also has the benefit of making your Adamant cards better since a 10/7 manabase but a preferably more skewed one gets the most out of these cards. If your draft is leaning strongly towards one colour, then pick up artifacts (e.g. Golden Egg, Clockwork Servant, Heraldic Banner) until you have a good reason to move into the second colour.

P1P2 Witchstalker is where I would have ended up. Resolute Rider and Syr Carah are the next best cards in the pack but Syr Carah doesn't fit well into RG nonhumans, and Innkeeper is powerful enough I'm happy to draft around it for now.
P1P3 Rimrock Knight is great, also really nice in RG with Innkeeper
P1P4 Heraldic Banner or Rosethorn Halberd, Ardenvale Paladin is a really weak card
P1P5 Scorching Dragonfire. P1P5 is fairly late for it and a strong signal
P1P6 Righteousness might be the worst combat trick in the set. Based on your picks so far, Shinechaser is a worthwhile spec

On my path, I'm solidly in R at the end of pack 1, moving off G as my primary colour.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mythic get woo.

Above 90% too.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

spent the last 4 hours losing to yorion decks just loving love how bad i am at choosing decks

edit: finally got one with temur ramp through 3 yorions and 3 ecds cause ugin and genesis are busted

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 24, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Deck
2 Phylath, World Sculptor (ZNR) 234
2 Burn Bright (ANB) 68
11 Forest (ANB) 112
4 Lotus Cobra (ZNR) 193
1 Moraug, Fury of Akoum (ZNR) 150
1 Skyclave Pick-Axe (ZNR) 204
1 Kazandu Nectarpot (ZNR) 190
1 Spitfire Lagac (ZNR) 167
1 Skyclave Geopede (ZNR) 163
1 Akoum Hellhound (ZNR) 133
2 Scute Swarm (ZNR) 203
1 Kazandu Mammoth (ZNR) 189
1 Brushfire Elemental (ZNR) 221
1 Territorial Scythecat (ZNR) 213
1 Canopy Baloth (ZNR) 182
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
2 Bala Ged Recovery (ZNR) 180
1 Cleansing Wildfire (ZNR) 137
3 Oran-Rief Ooze (ZNR) 198
1 Scale the Heights (ZNR) 202
1 Migration Path (IKO) 164
4 Rugged Highlands (M21) 249
1 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244
1 Radha, Heart of Keld (M21) 224
7 Mountain (ANB) 114
4 Ilysian Caryatid (ANB) 98
1 Traveler's Amulet (THB) 240
1 The Ozolith (IKO) 237
1 Roiling Regrowth (ZNR) 201

Here's what I got so far. Got lucky with the promo boosters, spent a few wildcards from way back when I downloaded the game when it first came out and then uninstalled after doing the tutorial but not all of them so if you guys have cool ideas I might be able to get some cards that way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
WHat's your goal with the deck? If it's spamming scute swarm, get more scute swarms. If it's landfall aggro, get more landfall aggo cards (particularly Kazandu Mammoth, Akoum Hellhound, Brushfire Elemental, you need to be hitting hard from turn 2 onwards) and enablers (Cultivate etc), plus things like Crash Through and Embercleave to push damage. You've got a lot of vaguely decent stuff here that doesn't really synergise so the deck will be super unreliable.

If you're doing any kind of red/x or monored aggro, craft 4 Embercleaves, it's probably the best card left in standard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

If you're doing any kind of red/x or monored aggro, craft 4 Embercleaves, it's probably the best card left in standard.

https://twitter.com/kanister_mtg/status/1320125625336815617?s=21

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lol Kanister is so salty because he brought UW control and went 1-5 on Saturday in League play. Sorry that pros know how to not play into your sweepers my dude.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Where do I find the current standings for today's Rivals event?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

lol Kanister is so salty because he brought UW control and went 1-5 on Saturday in League play. Sorry that pros know how to not play into your sweepers my dude.

Waaah I'm not being rewarded for playing a tedious 80 card control deck!! You have to sit there and let me play a bunch of lands and cast all my best spells, it's not fair if you kill me first!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Waaah I'm not being rewarded for playing a tedious 80 card control deck!! You have to sit there and let me play a bunch of lands and cast all my best spells, it's not fair if you kill me first!!!

haha red deck go brrrrrn

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Currently loving BG Adventures right now - it feels like it has game against everything. Red isn't too bad (10 bits of maindeck removal + Lovestruck Beast will do that; and artifact removal out of the board for Embercleave); Rogues/Mill hates to see Polukranos (and Skyclave Shade out of the board); Control doesn't deal well with the card advantage The Great Henge and Edgewall Inkeeper can provide. Scute Swarm can be a challenge, but Extinction Event is pretty solid in that matchup.

I'm only part-way through building the full version (gainlands instead of temples, Questing Beasts instead of Rankles); but it's pretty solid. Heartily recommend.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've been working on a very, very dumb cat deck that I've tuned as far as I can, and it's surprisingly competitive. Having access to 8 lords and a bunch of recursion is pretty good turns out. It's not gonna overturn the meta, but it'll get wins.

Companion
1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard

Deck
4 Charmed Stray
4 Bronzehide Lion
4 Leonin of the Lost Pride
2 Regal Leosaur
3 Kaheera, the Orphanguard
4 Feline Sovereign
3 Necropanther
2 Lurrus of the Dream-Den
3 Cubwarden
2 Snapdax, Apex of the Hunt
2 Nethroi, Apex of Death

3 Primal Might

1 Mountain
3 Plains
1 Forest
1 Swamp
4 Indatha Triome
2 Fabled Passage
4 Brightclimb Pathway
4 Needleverge Pathway
4 Branchloft Pathway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Deck
__

Here's what I got so far. Got lucky with the promo boosters, spent a few wildcards from way back when I downloaded the game when it first came out and then uninstalled after doing the tutorial but not all of them so if you guys have cool ideas I might be able to get some cards that way.

Fabled passage gives you extra landfall triggers and is used in a billion other decks. If you can count your rare WC on one hand maybe don't blow all your rares making them but 1 or 2 couldn't hurt.