Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

I still think that trauma has caused people to blow up Trump's performance in 2016 in their memory relative to reality. He only had 260 EV's in states he won by more than 1%, and Florida (29 EV) by only 1.2%. He eked out the win by the skin of his teeth, entirely on the back of "I don't like Hillary, so eh let's roll the dice".

I don't think he would have won that election with his level of support a month after inauguration, in our hellscape 2020 I think it will be a blowout that even the polls aren't predicting. Only white men are still with him, and even the educated ones are abandoning ship. Covid voing and the shift of the suburbs are going to get around the GOP's voter suppression apparatus. Abject hatred of Trump is going to shatter voting participation records that the polls simply aren't tuned for.

I mean, fingers crossed but aren't the polls at least somewhat tuned to catch that? I think if a nonvoter tells the pollster they're going to vote or already voted, then the pollster doesn't go "bah, ignoring that they're a nonvoter so who cares what they say"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Daduzi posted:

I'm actually going the other way: polls will underestimate the final result as most polling firms continue to over-correct from 2016.

I want to say this as well, but can't quite bring myself to, so I'll just quote you and add this hemming and hawing down here to try to insulate my heart from too much hoping.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Regardless of the outcome, I will look back and say "Of course, it was obviously going to end like that."

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1320757052491386883

lol trump is toast

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

They've had him up by 1 or 2 since September, where everyone else has him down by 3. It's a D-leaning poll, just not quite as hilarious as Ras and Traf.

EDIT: This take may age like roadkill depending on what the NYTimes poll says. Why am I so nervous about that poll?

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 26, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Daduzi posted:

I'm actually going the other way: polls will underestimate the final result as most polling firms continue to over-correct from 2016.

Yeah, i'm in this boat: my finger in the air prediction is biden +12.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
NYT is releasing a Texas poll in about 20 minutes. Gonna be interesting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Glumwheels posted:

On the heels of the 60 minutes interview where he berated Leslie Stahl...gee wonder why women don’t like him :thunk:

I will make the additional prediction that Trump will not carry Pennsylvania

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.
Biden will win Texas. I'm about to be owned by the NYT poll but I will stick with this prediction. :smuggo:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
With Texas (and the idea that Texas is even in play is a death knell for the Trump campaign) it's entirely possible that traditional R Texans have had enough of Trump's poo poo and are willing to punch a Biden ticket to make him go away for good.

In 2016 Trump beat Clinton by 813,774 (4,681,590 to 3,867,816) and in the 2018 midterms Cruz only beat O'Rouke by 214,921 (4,260,553 to 4,045,632) - but on the same day Abbott beat Valdez in the gubernatorial by 1,109,581 (4,656,196 to 3,546,615) so even from two years ago about 400k Republican Texans and up to 900k TX voters just want off the Trump Train and with demographic changes and COVID-19 it may well be enough. I'd say it's actually quite likely you'd see a split ticket in Texas where Cornyn wins Senate relection but Biden takes the EC votes

e: or Texans just really hate women idk

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 26, 2020

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
It is incredibly difficult to even contrive scenarios where Trump has a shot of winning, based on all of the available data.

• All signs point to a high turn-out election, which most polling models have agreed would favour Biden. (Trump has, until recently, been performing better on LV polls rather than RV polls: a high turnout should flatten that difference in Biden's favour.)
  • In contrast to 2016, this has always been a low-volatility election with few undecideds: there is no conceivable way, if he really is 8-10 points down, that he can make up that deficit now. This is exacerbated by the fact that most early voting has been locking up Biden votes.
  • His only hope is thus that the polls are wrong, but the numbers tell a consistent story: a big lead for Biden nationally, big leads for Biden in enough of the swing states (i.e. Biden has enough EVs even if you give Trump all of the genuine coin-flip states) and very big leads for Biden in the district polling. In hindsight, Clinton had a number of weaknesses there which should have made everyone more nervous, but it's difficult to see any such issues for Biden.
  • The swing against Trump has been pretty uniform across all demographics, including white voters and seniors, which is going to make it hard for him to get elected on the back of quirks involving disproportionate rates of voting among particular demographics (e.g. the low-education white vote which blindsided everyone in 2016). This means that they can't count on, e.g. high senior turnout and low youth turnout getting them over the line (something the GOP might normally be able to hope for as a means of outperforming the polls) or voter suppression in high-minority areas, because he appears to be getting hammered across the board.

Like, I'm a pessimist, but there is absolutely nothing I can point to that would be remotely comforting if I were part of Trump's campaign. I think it's conceivable that he wins OH, FL, GA,TX and AZ, but 1) I'd still have Biden as clear favourite to win even without those states and 2) if I'm being honest with myself, it's just as plausible to think that Biden will win all 5, let alone the one or two he needs to put the election to bed completely. I'll stop short of indulging myself in the possibility that it's going to be a bloodbath, but a victory on the order of Obama 2008 seems pretty likely to me atm.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ny times texas poll was taken pre-debate with the one thing that might move the needle from that debate being Biden's oil comments.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ny times texas poll was taken pre-debate with the one thing that might move the needle from that debate being Biden's oil comments.

basically the only place where it has gotten any type of traction, but I wouldn't call it signficant traction. Still, enough a flub to possibly make an impact in polling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will also predict that Trump loses Michigan and Wisconsin by a significant margin

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grouchio posted:

Like I wasn't traumatized to the same extent as others in 2016 (in part thanks to elections like 2014 and 2010) but my brain still has that anxious feeling in the back going 'you can imagine how stressed and panicky you'll be on election night' and I don't know how to avoid that.

My most vivid memory of that night (aside from being resigned and going to bed after PA fell) is every other goon in the thread telling everyone to calm the gently caress down, certain districts aren't in yet, we got this and all that and just gradually watching that tone fade into acceptance. It was not a good feeling.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
the one good thing about the rona is that I'm not tempted to have an election night party, which was extremely awkward last time

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be honest, I also think a lot of people didn't yet realize the implications of a Trump presidency, and were gloating/cheering at the victory of the underdog/chaos candidate.

Not this time around, he doesn't have that same energy, he's going down.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BiggerBoat posted:

My most vivid memory of that night (aside from being resigned and going to bed after PA fell) is every other goon in the thread telling everyone to calm the gently caress down, certain districts aren't in yet, we got this and all that and just gradually watching that tone fade into acceptance. It was not a good feeling.
Mine was coming back to news programming after watching some Mighty Boosh to take my mind off things and Wolf Blitzer ominously saying "...and we shouldn't even be talking about Virginia..." feeling a pit in my stomach.

Then a late night group text rant with my co-workers, some of whom voted for Trump, as I laid out why the world was hosed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is Texas really deluded enough that "we're not gonna keep burning oil forever" would turn people off? That's the accepted line by everyone from scientists to energy companies.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

DutchDupe posted:

NYT is releasing a Texas poll in about 20 minutes. Gonna be interesting.

That fact that they are even bothering to poll Texas a week before the election is not positive for Trump.

Trump ‘16 was +9.

Romney won it by 16. (He overperformed with Whites everywhere)

McCain won it by 11.

You would expect John Q Republican to win it by 8-10 even in a heavily Dem year.

The last Democrat to win it was Jimmy Carter in 1976, and he won it with 51%, not exactly a landslide.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1320772439882780672

Bah.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Xombie posted:

I still think that trauma has caused people to blow up Trump's performance in 2016 in their memory relative to reality. He only had 260 EV's in states he won by more than 1%, and Florida (29 EV) by only 1.2%. He eked out the win by the skin of his teeth, entirely on the back of "I don't like Hillary, so eh let's roll the dice".

I don't think he would have won that election with his level of support a month after inauguration, in our hellscape 2020 I think it will be a blowout that even the polls aren't predicting. Only white men are still with him, and even the educated ones are abandoning ship. Covid voing and the shift of the suburbs are going to get around the GOP's voter suppression apparatus. Abject hatred of Trump is going to shatter voting participation records that the polls simply aren't tuned for.

It’s fun reading posts like these and feeling optimistic knowing that in 24 hours there will be like an IBD/TIPP poll showing a tie in Florida and we’ll all be rending our garments and wailing for the inevitable red tsunami.

E: or Trump a laughable +4 in Texas

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 26, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grondoth posted:

Is Texas really deluded enough that "we're not gonna keep burning oil forever" would turn people off? That's the accepted line by everyone from scientists to energy companies.

Resource extraction is currently one of two industry sectors (the other being teamster jobs) where high school educated people can make a middle class and even upper class income. The people who are making that money would like to keep making it regardless of how unrealistic it is.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

To be honest, I also think a lot of people didn't yet realize the implications of a Trump presidency, and were gloating/cheering at the victory of the underdog/chaos candidate.

Not this time around, he doesn't have that same energy, he's going down.

Keith knew.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

That's a big undecided group. I'm sure they'll talk themselves into voting from Trump.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

lol Biden is only winning Black voters 78-12, someone is going to get cancelled today for their take on this

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1320772723942019074

This is the more interesting fact from that poll

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Resource extraction is currently one of two industry sectors (the other being teamster jobs) where high school educated people can make a middle class and even upper class income. The people who are making that money would like to keep making it regardless of how unrealistic it is.

the distinct impression i got is that being anti-fracking can be dangerous in pennsylvania, because its heritage of blue collar union jobs means there are plenty of people who are potential democratic voters but who also have a strong economic impact in fracking continuing - so you can really lose votes

those same people in texas i think are deep red republicans no matter what biden says, so he won't lose nearly the sort of votes he might in PA

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

this is every single oilfield contractor:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grondoth posted:

There are a lot of people who make a living in the oil industry, and they and their families are genuinely worried that a Democratic administration would speed up this transition to the extent that they'd be out of a job. These people are the lifeblood of the local economy: they bring in the money that restaurants, stores, etc etc depend on. They aren't deluded, they are just anxious for their future. Anyone would be anxious, if you told them the industry they worked in their whole lives will go away. What are they supposed to do, Learn To Code? Change is hard.

That said, I don't think any minds are actually changed. They would have had the same fear about any democratic administration, and many are simply conservative besides that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol second to last paragraph of the siena writeup

quote:

Low-turnout Hispanic voters in Texas are some of the toughest voters to reach in the country for pollsters. It is even harder to ensure a representative sample of the group in a state like Texas where voters don’t register with a party; party registration can be used to ensure the right number of Democrats and Republicans. We can’t rule out the possibility that the poll failed to reach the most Democratic-leaning of these voters.

i'm certainly prepared for trump to win texas, but i just fundamentally don't get how you make Cohn's poll make sense

- we think nonwhite support is going to carry trump to the win, in the face of suburban white revolt
- biden does way better than hillary with hispanic voters that've already voted ("Mr. Biden has an even wider lead of 73-20 among Hispanic voters who say they have already voted")
- trump only does well with unlikely voters, so we've decided that more hispanic turnout effectively hurts biden
- and also maybe our whole hispanic sample just sucked

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.
The article is interesting, in that it talks about Biden's weakness with Latinos compared to Clinton 2016.

We know Beto lagged behind with that group compared to Hillary. There are also some surveys showing Trump doing a little better among latinos compared to 2016. And IIRC the Biden campaign cancelled a lot of their ads in Texas recently except for San Antonio and El Paso media markets.

It kinda paints a picture.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Grondoth posted:

There are two theories, one is that global warming isn't real and the other is we'll figure something out like some crazy moonshot tech but on the subject of oil and gas... It's not even popular among Republicans.

https://twitter.com/cohan_ds/status/1320487506396303369?s=20

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Again, Texas would be grand but I really think Kamala would be better off in Arizona or NC or GA than Texas. Coming within 10 points of Trump in Texas will be awesome but I'd hate another scenario where Biden gets within 3% of Trump in some solid-R states while still not picking up the ones he needs for 270. We need the ice cream for the cherry on top.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 26, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

MaoistBanker posted:

Again, Texas would be grand but I really think Kamala would be better off in Arizona or NC or GA than Texas. Coming within 10 points of Trump in Texas will be awesome but I'd hate another scenario where Biden gets 3% of some solid-R states while still not picking up the ones he needs for 270. We need the ice cream for the cherry on top.

Agreed. Sending Harris there with so little time, when its clearly out of reach, seems like a waste.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.
I'm taking the NYT's poll at face value and guessing Trump has the edge still.

I think what Cohn is referring to about NYT not capturing adequate Latino support for Dems in the past in their polls, is the fact they had Cruz winning the Senate race in 2018 by 8 points, which was 6 points off from the actual result. But then again every pollster was several points off in 2018 in that race.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TyrantWD posted:

when its clearly out of reach

Texas absolutely is not "clearly out of reach" when multiple decent polls have shown a statistical tie.

The Biden campaign wouldn't be doing this if they weren't confident in the polling in the Rust Belt, which is an average of Biden +6 at the absolute worst.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.

TyrantWD posted:

Agreed. Sending Harris there with so little time, when its clearly out of reach, seems like a waste.

I don't think the polling we've seen would say Texas is "out of reach" - on the lower end of the swing states Biden can nab, sure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if the question that texas comes down to, as nate says, is whether Donald J. Trump's "strength among nonwhite voters does enough to overcome all out rebellion in the suburbs", then i like our odds lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MaoistBanker posted:

Again, Texas would be grand but I really think Kamala would be better off in Arizona or NC or GA than Texas. Coming within 10 points of Trump in Texas will be awesome but I'd hate another scenario where Biden gets 3% of some solid-R states while still not picking up the ones he needs for 270. We need the ice cream for the cherry on top.

I mean I agree but also I doubt the deployment of Kamala matters all that much.