Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And the Borat thing is definitely a lot of Americans are too nice and non-confrontational when faced with 'backwards' foreigners which is why the babysitter is such a loving gem in the movie, she was not putting up with his poo poo. The Jewish ladies towards the end too were pure gold.

The cake lady is a great example. Too many people will take away “wow look she wrote the racist message on the cake”, but she was clearly taken aback and not everyone wants to start a fight when you’re just trying to sell cakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think my Capri might have a tiny vacuum leak
https://youtu.be/4Ero-Z8DoYo

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The cake lady is a great example. Too many people will take away “wow look she wrote the racist message on the cake”, but she was clearly taken aback and not everyone wants to start a fight when you’re just trying to sell cakes.
And, at a very simple level, that's a major factor in how racism and prejudice survive.

"Oh, well, it's not directly affecting me, I don't want to get involved."

Anti-racism should not be controversial. The fact that it is often more controversial than the racism in the first place is insane.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

woohoo, my state is finally winding back some Covid lockdown rules. Two days straight so far of no new cases

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I come from a long line of people too stupid to realize that Arizona shouldn't exist so my judgement should not be trusted.

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/1318381423011663873/photo/1

King of the Hill was spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Aside from the obvious, tell me one good reason I shouldn’t buy a $30k g-wagon.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/816038352498357/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

trouser chili posted:

Aside from the obvious, tell me one good reason I shouldn’t buy a $30k g-wagon.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/816038352498357/

Because you can get newer ones that are LHD from Japan for less? (While still falling under the 25 year rule.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Do it. And everywhere you go you gotta say G Wagon G Wagon G Wagon all the housewives pulling up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=393C3pr2ioY

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

McTinkerson posted:

Because you can get newer ones that are LHD from Japan for less? (While still falling under the 25 year rule.)

Newer doesn’t always sell on me. Here’s my thoughts on it:
1: Wife says “go buy new Bronco”
2: New Bronco is $30k depreciation machine.
3: 1987 G-Wagon is OM617 powered
4: I used to have OM616 powered 240d (still have tools and knowledge)
5: I used to off-road a Scout and wanna go off-roading again.
6: A Scout of the same quality as that G-Wagon costs nearly the same and is a comparative bucket of poo poo that will rust apart if you use it.
7: G-wagon, g-wagon, g-wagon!
8: It’ll fit in the neighborhood much better than my crapcan Accord.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BUY THE G WAGON CHILI

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Also you can wrap it in an obnoxious color or pattern and I recommend that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

trouser chili posted:

6: A Scout of the same quality as that G-Wagon costs nearly the same and is a comparative bucket of poo poo that will rust apart if you use it.

Prices for stupid platform specific parts will be ultra spendy due to few being around unlike the Accord. Without going over the vehicle for a few hours, the bronco is the safer more sane buy.

Buy the gelandewagen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Holdbrooks moved there too, but :popeye:

Literally the only heat record not obliterated this summer was the hottest single day. We are probably done with >100 degree days (if we get another it'll be a new record for latest 100+) but there's still plenty of time for more 90-99 degree days.

It was, and we had two+ weeks of highs above that number.

Also when it's 111 out, the car is gonna say at least 115-120.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Some distended anus broke the taillight on the Rav4. Looks like it was hit with something hard. no other damage. Normally I'd be a little pissed off. I am more than a little so now. Registration runs out in 2 weeks and it needs inspection still. Already ordered a replacement. No telling how long that will take.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My coworker messaged me to let me know they terminated my worthless sack of poo poo former team lead. Only 10 months later than it should have happened.

It's petty but im very happy about this. gently caress that guy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
How the gently caress did Subaru make suck a pile of poo poo to coolant bleed like the H6? FFS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I don't know about the bronco being a depreciation machine, if it's anything like the Wrangler (it is) it's going to hold it's value well. Also will have a warranty.

That being said no way I would buy a first year model of anything, I would at least wait until the second MY.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

Also you can wrap it in an obnoxious color or pattern and I recommend that.

No way, it's already the rudest gently caress you brown. Buy it.

So I've been pretty okay throughout the last several months. Everything's fucky, and that's just the way it is. All of a sudden, though, I'm being swamped with feelings of ill portent. I'm not typically one to worry, but man... I guess this is what impotent worry feels like. :sigh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ Welcome to my world. That feeling of foreboding, just waiting for the other shoe to drop, not knowing when/where/how, or if it's even real.

I hope you're not becoming mentally ill. :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I get that feeling all the time, but I'm pretty sure it's due to having no money and 47 million irons in the fire

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been feeling that way for most of 2020.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rhyno posted:

I've been feeling that way for most of 2020.

Yeah that's just #2020 for most of us.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well yeah. Obviously.

But started the year with that feeling of not deserving the life I've built and the 2020 vibe in general hasn't made that any easier.

But this was a good week and I feel really good. Plus they fired that fuckstick so now work will be headache free.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Me too, I have a disability hearing coming up in December and depending on the outcome I either have to find a basic part time job or start all over again with a full time gig that involves almost no manual labor at all because my back is hosed. I can't even bartend anymore because leaning over sinks and coolers all night long completely screws my back. I could fall back on my security experience but working graveyard shifts loving sucks when you have a family, and most places now want you to carry which I'm not comfortable with and even if I was I'm not getting a permit because I have a Medical Marijuana ID.

To top it off the VA has decided that Tramadol is a controlled substance and won't prescribe it to anyone with Marijuana in their system legal or not. I been using it for over ten years now and suddenly I'm a drug addict that can't handle it I guess. It was the only poo poo that helped me without being horribly addictive but apparently idiots are abusing it now and people like me get screwed in the process. Yippie.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Krakkles posted:

And, at a very simple level, that's a major factor in how racism and prejudice survive.

Anti-racism should not be controversial. The fact that it is often more controversial than the racism in the first place is insane.

I mean, I agree in theory, but this is the loving country where multiple people have been shot asking people to wear masks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

So I've been pretty okay throughout the last several months. Everything's fucky, and that's just the way it is. All of a sudden, though, I'm being swamped with feelings of ill portent. I'm not typically one to worry, but man... I guess this is what impotent worry feels like. :sigh:

Well, there’s the election next week, and the fact that the shitstain Republicans ramrodded through Amy Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation...

In other news I have my old guy butt exam today, in a couple of hours. I am hungry and grumpy today from the clear liquid diet yesterday and no eating today. And the colon cleanse stuff didn’t taste completely terrible, but not good. And boy howdy, it worked.
Lost almost 3 pounds from yesterday morning.
Wish me luck!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Welp, I’m about to check into a detox program this afternoon. I’ve been drinking progressively worse over the covid season, and had an incident on Sunday, I barely remember the entire day. We partied pretty hard for the wife’s birthday Saturday night, and I let her sleep in, then had a couple whiskeys while watching movies with the kid. I expected to have enough time to sleep it off during his nap time, but my mom called and we went to lunch instead. I apparently fell down the stairwell, I definitely have some gnarly bruises. I started having withdrawal symptoms like 6 hours later and I’m still having them. Enough is enough. This is hell, I haven’t been able to really eat since Sunday lunch. I can’t stop vomiting and am sweaty and shaky. I threw up while driving to work Monday.

Talk to you guys in like a month!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Good luck AA/Darchangel/wallaka

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wallaka posted:

Welp, I’m about to check into a detox program this afternoon. I’ve been drinking progressively worse over the covid season, and had an incident on Sunday, I barely remember the entire day. We partied pretty hard for the wife’s birthday Saturday night, and I let her sleep in, then had a couple whiskeys while watching movies with the kid. I expected to have enough time to sleep it off during his nap time, but my mom called and we went to lunch instead. I apparently fell down the stairwell, I definitely have some gnarly bruises. I started having withdrawal symptoms like 6 hours later and I’m still having them. Enough is enough. This is hell, I haven’t been able to really eat since Sunday lunch. I can’t stop vomiting and am sweaty and shaky. I threw up while driving to work Monday.

Best of luck my dude!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Krakkles posted:

You’re not wrong, and I’d sure tell people asking for that to get the gently caress outta my store, but yeah I don’t begrudge the poor cake woman dealing with some weirdos and a camera crew.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

wallaka posted:

Best of luck!

Getting sober was the best decision I ever made. It completely changed my life for the better.

It's a hell of a ride but it's worth all of it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

cursedshitbox posted:

Buy the gelandewagen.

Buy it just so you can say "gelandewagen" in the most ostentatious way possible. Really though you if you want to go 'Froadin you should just get a new Bronco or a Land Cruiser which I am an evangelist for.

meatpimp posted:

I have felt similar swings. Things in life are not much to complain about personally. Gainful employment and health and a home and food; what more could one desire? If you even have all of those things you feel like a sense of guilt for just having a case of sad brains like thinking "Well it could be worse, and worse is a reality for a lot of people." You go round and around ruminating on these thoughts and it drags you down. I get a little trapped feeling. Historically I would give myself a big time goal and work towards that to help drag me out. The thing is now? I don't have a short term goal I really want to aim for. All I want to do is get my house paid off because in my head I have told myself that would be the freedom I am looking for. It will be at the soonest five years from now; assuming that the world doesn't dive and spiral into the heat-death of the universe.

Thus my sadbrains take over.

EDIT: wallaka goonspeed internet buddy. Get healthy and feeling well.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have felt similar swings. Things in life are not much to complain about personally. Gainful employment and health and a home and food; what more could one desire? If you even have all of those things you feel like a sense of guilt for just having a case of sad brains like thinking "Well it could be worse, and worse is a reality for a lot of people." You go round and around ruminating on these thoughts and it drags you down. I get a little trapped feeling. Historically I would give myself a big time goal and work towards that to help drag me out. The thing is now? I don't have a short term goal I really want to aim for. All I want to do is get my house paid off because in my head I have told myself that would be the freedom I am looking for. It will be at the soonest five years from now; assuming that the world doesn't dive and spiral into the heat-death of the universe.

Thus my sadbrains take over.

EDIT: wallaka goonspeed internet buddy. Get healthy and feeling well.

I have been having similar feelings. I have been totally fine throughout this whole deal but the past two weeks have been extremely difficult for me.

I'm not really sure what brought all of this on but I have really been struggling with the sad and worry.

It is a bit of a relief to hear that there are other people going through the same.

On a positive note, I deleted an old (cringe) Flickr account and dug up some pics of my old cars!

Behold, the glory of my old 2001 530i e39 (with M package) on the only snow day in GA circa 2011.

See also, a picture of a 1994 civic valve cover post cleaning!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't know about the bronco being a depreciation machine, if it's anything like the Wrangler (it is) it's going to hold it's value well. Also will have a warranty.

That being said no way I would buy a first year model of anything, I would at least wait until the second MY.

I've considered that a Bronco may actually be able to be purchased and driven for up to a year and possibly sold for small profit, depending on how the supply and demand goes. It's also something I can finance (for something close to 0% at that), the G-wagon is basically not. I don't need financing though.

I've got a car itch bad and a lot of options in front of me. Seven years ago I set out with personal financial program to finance buying either an Ariel Atom or a Morgan three-wheeler for myself when I turned 40. However the month I turned 40 I found this house for sale, and while it was a huge leap financially to make it work, the opportunity costs should we ignore it were too great. So we did it. It's been a bit over two years since then and I've finally settled the finances, refinanced the mortgage on the new house, and for the first time ever; earned more income from investments than I did from salary. My opportunity chickens have come home to roost.

Here's the rub, I just don't know what I want. I almost don't even drive anymore anyway. Maybe that'll change again in the future, but I'm only five miles from work these days and prefer to ride my bicycle. In a way this makes things harder, as I can support some otherwise wildly inappropriate vehicle choices, it's not like I'm going to be spending two hours a day in it and I've always got a fallback in the Odyssey.

So anyway, here's a list of vehicles I've been looking at:

E36-E46/M3 - What's to say, these are great cars. Feeling like they're getting a lot of attention price-wise though.

That 1987 300GD - Ticks a lot of boxes, might be slow to sell once I get sick of it.

1967 Oldsmobile 442 - On my bucket list but in a way it's for my father. He used to have one long ago.

1997-2001 NSX - On my bucket list but I feel these are way overvalued compared to something like a 2021 Vette

AP1 S2000 - On my bucket list for a long time, but I do have a ND Miata these days, kinda makes a S2000 feel redundant.

A pair of XJ Cherokees - Speaking of redundancy, can't have just one! This would be fun cause me and my son could offroad together with pair.

An Ariel Atom - I mean, yeah.

2021 Vette - Very nice, better deal than a NSX.

2021 Bronco - New shiny!

Just a whole bunch more Accord wagons - Probably what will happen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wallaka posted:

Good luck!

Darchangel posted:

Well, there’s the election next week, and the fact that the shitstain Republicans ramrodded through Amy Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation...

In other news I have my old guy butt exam today, in a couple of hours. I am hungry and grumpy today from the clear liquid diet yesterday and no eating today. And the colon cleanse stuff didn’t taste completely terrible, but not good. And boy howdy, it worked.
Lost almost 3 pounds from yesterday morning.
Wish me luck!

Good luck with the butt exam.

You listed two of the big stressors, covid getting ready for a huge charge is certainly weighing on me, too. Germany is way, way up, and we were about 3 weeks behind the last round... I just see a lot of ways it can come up bullshit and it's concerning.

I'm fine in the whole "my life has nothing to complain about without seeming like an entitled prick" way, like Somewhat Heroic summarized. I just find myself posting mostly good stuff here and a lot of people fight sadbrains. At this point, we are ALL fighting, and it's okay. It's fucky, but eventually the fuckyness will wear out and things will get better again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have been having similar feelings. I have been totally fine throughout this whole deal but the past two weeks have been extremely difficult for me.

I'm not really sure what brought all of this on but I have really been struggling with the sad and worry.

Some similar problems for me too, hang in there goon friends. I think part of it's seasonal, at least up here in Michigan it's now cold, damp, and getting dark.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wallaka posted:

it'll be the best thing you'll ever do for yourself (and family), even though it sucks for now

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

trouser chili posted:

A pair of XJ Cherokees - Speaking of redundancy, can't have just one! This would be fun cause me and my son could offroad together with pair.

This stands out to me, plus you could spend a whole lot less on these plus basic upgrades than on an NSX, and have no problem moving them when you're done.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I was thinking the same thing.

Note: I am biased, I have a built XJ which is fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I was gonna say, if you just want to do a bit of off roading get an XJ or an old Wrangler and you won't care how bad they get beat up