Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you realize that this makes you a little poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

naem posted:

I’m job searching right now and wondering if I should just wait to see how bad this winter gets first

Are you good with a shovel?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you realize that this makes you a little poo poo

How so ?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Heh rules don't apply to me, I'm too smart and successful for coronavirus :smuggo:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

unpacked robinhood posted:

My posh metropolitan neighborhood emptied in a few hours and I'm considering following suit.

Is this the same thing as all the rich Italians using the days notice they received about impending lockdowns in the north to flee to the south and start spreading the virus around in places that previously didn’t have many cases?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can isolate just as well in my parents vacant property. People figured selfish parisians leaving the capital were bringing the plague everywhere the first time and nothing happened either. I don't plan on doing any extra doorknob licking or public coughing once I'm there.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

I don't plan on doing any extra doorknob licking or public coughing once I'm there.

You're missing out duder.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Is this the same thing as all the rich Italians using the days notice they received about impending lockdowns in the north to flee to the south and start spreading the virus around in places that previously didn’t have many cases?

Hardly applies now. In all of Europe infection rates are between 'a lot' and 'oh wow'. There are no untouched villages to infect.
If you have some rural property i don't see why you couldn't drive there and spend the lockdown there.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Colonel Cancer posted:

Heh rules don't apply to me, I'm too smart and successful for coronavirus :smuggo:

Thank you, Mr. President.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

This winter is going to be loving miserable isn't it? :smith:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there any science on whether interior cooling vs heating is worse for virus transmission indoors? Just curious if the grocery stores are safer or more dangerous in winter vs summer.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

NihilismNow posted:

Hardly applies now. In all of Europe infection rates are between 'a lot' and 'oh wow'. There are no untouched villages to infect.
If you have some rural property i don't see why you couldn't drive there and spend the lockdown there.
There’s plenty of untouched villages in rural France, and I happen to live in one. I’d thank the Parisians to keep the plague they brought on themselves, to themselves.

naem
May 29, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

JOIN US

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pro starcraft loser posted:

:thumbsup:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

WaryWarren posted:

You're missing out duder.

Conveniently left out kissing every dude in a 10 meter radius as they galavant to their vacay stay away

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Looks like we're at least a week out from the first efficacy readout on the Pfizer vaccine. I was hoping it would be this week, though it being after the election is probably much better in the long term.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

pro starcraft loser posted:

What does absolute dread tell you?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I’d thank the Parisians to keep the plague they brought on themselves

?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm watching game 6 of the world series and it occurred to me that whichever one of these teams win there's most likely going to be a bunch of people flooding the streets to celebrate during a global pandemic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

explosivo posted:

I'm watching game 6 of the world series and it occurred to me that whichever one of these teams win there's most likely going to be a bunch of people flooding the streets to celebrate during a global pandemic.

A bunch of experts put out a report saying the Lakers winning a title likely caused the recent increase in Covid cases in LA, and thats without a parade and people being actively discouraged from gathering

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Good news everyone.

Some Covid Survivors Have Antibodies That Attack the Body, not Virus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/health/covid-antibodies-autoimmunity.html

Some survivors of Covid-19 carry worrying signs that their immune system has turned on the body, reminiscent of potentially debilitating diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, a new study has found.

At some point, the body’s defense system in these patients shifted into attacking itself, rather than the virus, the study suggests. The patients are producing molecules called “autoantibodies” that target genetic material from human cells, instead of from the virus.

This misguided immune response may exacerbate severe Covid-19. It may also explain why so-called “long haulers” have lingering problems months after their initial illness has resolved and the virus is gone from their bodies.

The findings carry important implications for treatment: Using existing tests that can detect autoantibodies, doctors could identify patients who might benefit from treatments used for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. There is no cure for these diseases, but some treatments decrease the frequency and severity of flare-ups.

“It’s possible that you could hit the appropriate patients harder with some of these more aggressive drugs and expect better outcomes,” said Matthew Woodruff, an immunologist at Emory University in Atlanta and lead author of the work.

The results were reported Friday on the preprint server MedRxiv, and have not yet been published in a scientific journal. But other experts said the researchers who carried out the study are known for their careful, meticulous work, and that the findings are not unexpected because other viral illnesses also trigger autoantibodies.

“I’m not surprised, but it’s interesting to see that it’s really happening,” said Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale University. “It’s possible that even moderate to mild disease may induce this kind of antibody response.”

For months it has been clear that the coronavirus can cause the immune system to run amok in some people, ultimately wreaking more damage to the body than the virus itself. (Dexamethasone, the steroid President Trump took after his Covid diagnosis, has proved effective in some people with severe Covid to tamp down this over-exuberant immune response.)

Viral infections cause infected human cells to die. Sometimes the cells die a quiet death — but sometimes, and especially in the throes of severe infection, they can blow up, strewing their innards. When that happens, DNA, normally cloistered in coiled bundles inside the nucleus, is suddenly scattered and visible.

In the typical response to a virus, cells known as B immune cells make antibodies that recognize pieces of viral RNA from the virus and lock onto them.

But in conditions like lupus, some B cells never learn to do this and instead produce autoantibodies that glom onto DNA debris from dead human cells, mistaking them for intruders. Something similar may be happening in patients with Covid-19, the research suggests.

“Anytime you have that combination of inflammation and cell death, there is the potential for autoimmune disease and autoantibodies, more importantly, to emerge,” said Marion Pepper, an immunologist at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Dr. Woodruff and his colleagues reported earlier this month that some people with severe Covid-19 also have such unrefined B immune cells. The finding prompted them to explore whether those B cells make autoantibodies.

In the new study, the researchers looked at 52 patients within the Emory health care system in Atlanta who were classified as having either severe or critical Covid-19, but who had no history of autoimmune disorders.

They found autoantibodies that recognize DNA in nearly half of the patients. They also found antibodies against a protein called rheumatoid factor and others that help with blood clotting. Among the top half of the most seriously ill patients, more than 70 percent had autoantibodies against one of the targets tested, Dr. Woodruff said.

“It’s not just that these patients have an autoimmune-like immune response,” he said. “It’s that those immune responses are coupled with actual true testable clinical auto-reactivities.”

Some of the autoantibodies the researchers identified are associated with blood flow problems, noted Ann Marshak-Rothstein, an immunologist and lupus expert at the University of Massachusetts, Worcester.

“It’s very possible that some of the coagulation issues that you see in Covid-19 patients are being driven by these kinds of immune complexes,” she said.

If the autoantibodies do turn out to be long-lasting, she said, they may result in persistent, even lifelong, problems for Covid-19 survivors.

“You never really cure lupus — they have flares, and they get better and they have flares again,” she said. “And that may have something to do with autoantibody memory.”

Dr. Marshak-Rothstein, Dr. Iwasaki and dozens of other teams are closely studying the immune response to the coronavirus. Given the ease of testing for autoantibodies, it may soon become clear whether the antibodies were identified only because the researchers went looking for them, or whether they represent a more permanent alteration of the immune system.

“It’s not clear to me what it all means at this point,” Dr. Pepper said. “It’s going to take a little bit of time to understand if this is something that’s going to lead to downstream pathology.”

By good news I mean WEAR A MASK.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is not incredibly special

the body has like a half dozen learning systems. not just the mind, but metabolism, immunity, extracerebral neural poo poo, etc. all of them can get hosed up. after birth learning is a you pay a lot you get a lot sorta deal for a biological system

e: ah they note it in the article too

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What are the odds 2021 makes 2020 look like a walk in the park.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Philthy posted:

100%.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I guess Dr pepper was in fact a real doctor

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Philthy posted:

A walk in Yellowstone park when the supervolcano blows.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do some people really sit at home with 0 contact with outside world? What are you, a millionaire without a job?

No
Old

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Philthy posted:

Massive earthquake on the San Andreas. Economic collapse. War, possibly nuclear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The San Andreas fault is weak. It’s a strike–slip fault, it can only store so much energy before letting go, and California is relatively well‐built for quakes now.

The Great Cascade Quake or New New Madrid Quake are where it’s at.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Xenocides posted:

A walk in Yellowstone park when the supervolcano blows.

One can dream

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The auto antibody big post right above the reason that is so ominous is because we can't do jack poo poo about autoimmune diseases. They're incurable and the medications for them are super expensive. God drat it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Spinz posted:

The auto antibody big post right above the reason that is so ominous is because we can't do jack poo poo about autoimmune diseases. They're incurable and the medications for them are super expensive. God drat it

well we cant let this virus run our lives !!! open 'er up!!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Is this immune response specific to covid or is this something that can happen with any immune response and this is just sensationalism?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spinz posted:

Methotrexate and hydroxchloroquine cost pennies in the civilized world.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
this one is extremely important and deserves close study :eng101:
https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1320755362685808641

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

So far in the past 24 hours I've had:

3 people comment how family is flying in for Thanksgiving, or they're doing a big friendsgiving because "its just been too long".

2 people in their 20s mention going to huge Halloween parties this weekend.

4 people comment how packed the gyms (which don't require a mask) have been this week.

Mid December gonna be great!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wisconsin over 5k cases yesterday and the city next to mine (which is a college hotspot) just decided to reopen the middle and high schools wtf

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

I think the "this is the worst year ever" online meme started in early 2016 when David Bowie and a cluster of other well-liked celebrities died. Little did they know what was ahead.

Eta source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-36108133

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 28, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is this immune response specific to covid or is this something that can happen with any immune response and this is just sensationalism?

the second one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

I can isolate just as well in my parents vacant property. People figured selfish parisians leaving the capital were bringing the plague everywhere the first time and nothing happened either. I don't plan on doing any extra doorknob licking or public coughing once I'm there.

How can you be so loving dumb. Rich people fleeing cities are a crucial vector in every plague or pandemic. I'm in a fairly insulated community that has seen about 70 infections out of 24,000 people and rich assholes going to their country homes bring it here to our aging population. Stay out, fuckheads.