Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm 100%ing crash 4 and it's a great game dunno what you're talking about

Tawna's walljump does suck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I will admit that there is waaaayyyy too much stuff to do, which feels like a weird thing to complain about, but hitting 100% in these games is part of the charm. And Tawna is absolutely eye-rollingly tedious in a game otherwise composed exclusively of hideous cartoon gremlins, but everyone else is totally on point.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Also the Game Gears that come in four colors and each have four totally different games on them and are smaller than a GBA Micrro including the screen size making them nearly unplayable. Oh, but you can buy the full set of them for like $200 :psyduck:

Don't worry, they've thought of everything and are also releasing a magnifying screen that can be bolted onto the Game Gear Micro

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

What are y'alls thoughts on difficulty in Sonic games? What makes for good difficulty in Sonic games?

Cause I was just thinking about difficulty in platformers, and in particular Mario powerups vs. Sonic rings, and how with Mario powerups you have a pretty hard limit on how many times you can get hit, and making to a difficult section with a powerup can make a big difference. But with Sonic rings, you can kinda just keep picking them back up, or you don't have to go far to find more - it ends up being a very forgiving system

Yoshi in Super Mario World and Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island allow you to take as many hits as you want as long as you catch them, just like rings.

I'm glad they went with something more forgiving. Most 16-bit platformers were just ridiculously hard to make up for only being 30 minutes long.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've never died to having 0 rings outside the Silver Sonic fight in 2 (or whatever he's called)

I always found the system a little too forgiving, but never minded it much.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Generations sold millions of copies. It was a profitable success from everything I've read. They could probably have done a trilogy of Generations style games by now and made far, far more money but instead just made weird stuff. They seem to be thinking they're going to release a Sonic game like Sonic 1 that refines their position in the market and just keep trying new weird stuff.

Sega is just completely insane and has been so for almost forty years. Look at the Golden Axed news that came out, these people are bonkers.

i mean a success in the same vein as dmc where it codifies an entire genre

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also how much did they chill out with regards to minigames in crash 4? cause if theres one thing that sucks about crash 3 is how little platforming stages there are. crash 2 only had a couple of nonplatformer gimmicks and is still the goldstandard

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's basically all platforming, but there's a lot of variety thrown in - there are side levels with different characters, masks with different abilities that can be activated during particular parts of most levels, and a bunch of flashback levels you can unlock that are basically extended versions of the bonus levels.

Plus a few returning sections like chases into the screen and riding animals, but thankfully nothing as obnoxious as the absolutely reprehensible motorbike levels from Crash 3.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Sonic is definitely more akin to a racing or music game where it’s all about perfecting a run through a stage.

This is actually even more true in NiGHTS into dreams...

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I always wished NiGHTs picked up in the same way that Sonic did ):

Balan Wonderworld looks kinda cool, at least

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Skeletome posted:

I always wished NiGHTs picked up in the same way that Sonic did ):

Balan Wonderworld looks kinda cool, at least

I am stupidly excited for Balan and it’s for sure scratching that Sonic Adventure 1 vibe.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Balan looks like A Hat In Time 2 and I'm all for it. My biggest concern is that the devs will be overly ambitious with content and the final game will feel bloated and with not enough time spent refining to a mirror shine what does work and is the most fun in the game, but I am excited to give it a try next Spring :-]

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think I played three levels of A Hat in Time and it was one of the most astonishingly crap games I've ever played in my life. The level design and visual design were aggressively loving terrible, like if Sam & Max season 1-era Telltale tried to make a platformer.

I want to play Nyakuza Metro though, that looks like a decent step up in every way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it was good actually
graphics are pretty unpolished yeah but it's a nice game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've said it before (not here) but Hat in Time benefitted a lot from coming out before Odyssey. Similar sorts of game, and I liked HiT a lot, enough to get all 40 time pieces, but after the perfection of how Mario moves in Odyssey, there's no going back. It's like comparing the movement in Dark Souls 2 to DS1 and DS3 - would probably be fine on its own, but the comparison sitting right there makes it hard to enjoy.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I found the movement in HiT way easier to master than Odyssey, but I'm also bad at games and never was really huge on Mario.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Edit:
Thats kinda the problem with HiT for big 3D platformer fans, its really easy to master the controls. Odyssey has much more depth and nuance and mastering them feels amazing.

Its fair to say a Hat in Time was fortunate to be released after Yooka Laylee disapointed and before Odyssey came and blew it out the water but I think it's a pretty nice game.

Its a little rough around the edges but its a indie kickstarter game, its impresive how well it stands up against other entries in the genre imo. The art style and how forgiving the platforming is really give me mario sunshine vibes.

Balan looks like nights and billy hatcher at the same time and I'm hoping its either amazing or terrible but my greatest fear is it might just be mediocre and boring.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 24, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To be clear, my main issue with AHiT isn't your special moves, it's just moving around generally. Hat Kid sort of glides around with her legs occasionally touching the ground, Mario has a lot more of a feeling of weight and presence.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dabir posted:

To be clear, my main issue with AHiT isn't your special moves, it's just moving around generally. Hat Kid sort of glides around with her legs occasionally touching the ground, Mario has a lot more of a feeling of weight and presence.
For sure, it is deffo very floaty compared to Mario and naturally theres only one winner when it comes to how polished and tuned the movement is. I get why you don't dig it, but unpolished movement mechancs feel like they shouldn't be a huge hurdle for posters in the Sonic thread.

I kid I kid, I really do get it, I couldn't get into Lost World because I hated how 'sticky' the parcour mechanics made the game feel, sometimes a game's movement just doesn't feel right.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Fortunately, A Hat In Time manages to hit that one mark that I constantly forgive every terrible entry in the Sonic Franchise for:

The music is fuckin' lit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/i/status/1320757529324957703

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

SRA's is fine and fun but how loving dare you disparage Hideki Naganuma

Back to back, he's spinning on his back.
Back to back, on a turntable track.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

16 years later I’ve finally learned what those last two lyrics are. Thank you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm soyfacing irl rn

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I'm soyfacing irl rn

stair, i say this with the utmost sincerity that text allows me to express:
you need to be summarily executed in a mw1 style sequence

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

i can heard the beatboxing in my head

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

for not having touched this game since 2018 i think i did pretty well

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

who's that character at the bottom right, he looks cool

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Skeletome posted:

who's that character at the bottom right, he looks cool

him name sonic blue hog.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It's the guy as cool and blue as planet Earth

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
someone retweeted this and im filled with incontrollable rage and dumbfoundedness

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1323238603137298432

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
thank you for spreading the misery with us, arf

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm glad he "finished" the cover page after half a decade. Can't wait to pre-order!!

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1322978610601291776

me when my sonic gets dunked by a DK in smash ultimate online YET AGAIN

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Well we're finally here

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Performing for you

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hang on what Donkey Kong Nonsense?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Ken Penders got chokeslammed by 3 perfectly buff and lovingly powerful Donkey Kong cosplayers

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hang on what Donkey Kong Nonsense?

The ongoing Billy Mitchell World Record lawsuit? Because Penders is kind of like Billy Mitchell?

e: actually people kept posting Donkey Kong on Twitter in comparison to his latest Lara-Su Chronicles "art" lol

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ArfJason posted:

someone retweeted this and im filled with incontrollable rage and dumbfoundedness

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1323238603137298432

a lady’s full lips; a dog’s nose (that looks like a plastic toy off a plush animal); and a waifu’s gargantuan headlight eyes. my Halloween chills and shudders came a bit late this year but this masterpiece of fright didn’t half-rear end the horror :v: